Dez Bryant won't carry Roy Williams' pads

NFL rookies are often required to carry veterans’ pads as a sort of training camp hazing ritual. But Cowboys rookie Dez Bryant wants no part of it.

Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com reports that Roy Williams gave his pads to Bryant today, and Bryant refused to carry them.

I’m not doing it,” Bryant said. “I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player’s pads.”

Bryant says this isn’t a case of a first-round pick thinking he’s above an NFL tradition. Instead, it’s about a player who says he won’t tolerate being treated badly.

“If I was a free agent, it would still be the same thing,” Bryant said. “I just feel like I’m here to play football. I’m here to try to help win a championship, not carry someone’s pads. I’m saying that out of no disrespect to [anyone].”

But Williams says Bryant was wrong to refuse his request.

“Everybody has to go through it,” Williams said. “I had to go through it. No matter if you’re a No. 1 pick or the 7,000th pick, you’ve still got to do something when you’re a rookie. I carried pads. I paid for dinners. I paid for lunches. I did everything I was supposed to do, because I didn’t want to be that guy.”

Although the Cowboys’ decision to draft Bryant was widely viewed as a sign that the team is less than thrilled with Williams’ performance, both Bryant and Williams have steadfastly insisted that there’s no bad blood between them. That stance of unity between Bryant and Williams lasted through all of two days of training camp.

UPDATE: After seeing this item, Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman weighed in on Twitter about what Williams’ next step should be.

Permalink 222 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
222 Responses to “Dez Bryant won't carry Roy Williams' pads”
  1. nittanylion0 says: Jul 25, 2010 8:51 PM

and so it begins…

2. robert ethen says: Jul 25, 2010 8:53 PM

Right Roy, but the pads you were given to carry weren’t made out of lead, with sharp spikes tipped with rat poison. Give the kid a break.

3. mickp says: Jul 25, 2010 8:55 PM

Please dont make this into Dez being a bad guy. I wouldnt want to carry some dudes sweaty a$$ pads either.

4. Dixon29 says: Jul 25, 2010 8:56 PM

Enjoy Dez Bryant Dallas. I can’t think of a team that deserves him more.
    Carry the pads next time rook!

5. aikman8 says: Jul 25, 2010 8:57 PM

prima donna in the making and on a fast track to it …

6. Roger the Dodger says: Jul 25, 2010 8:59 PM

I’m liking this kid more and more every day. First, he has some moxie. Second, rookie hazing is juvenile, and all it takes to stop it is a bunch of rooks saying they won’t put up with it.
    When are pro football players going to start acting like professionals, instead of overgrown teenagers? Imagine this scene: Rookie lawyer shows up at the firm. Vet lawyers make him carry their briefcases, sharpen their pencils, pay for lunch. Can’t see it? Neither can I.

7. Bona Fide says: Jul 25, 2010 9:03 PM

Love Roy’s justification of “I did it because everyone else did it.”
    Good for Dez…”traditions” like that are retarded anyway. Just meant to put rookies in their place by power-tripping veterans. I didn’t realize we were still in high-school.

8. Kubik says: Jul 25, 2010 9:07 PM

Why is everyone hating on him for acting like a grown man, a professional adult?
    I don’t know about you people, but I go to work to do my job, not to play games with anyone.
    BUT OMG IT’S FOOTBALL REZPECT THA TRADITION EVEN THO IT’S A MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR INDUSTRY!!!!!1111
    Right?
    Morons.

9. Opie says: Jul 25, 2010 9:07 PM

Can you say …….. wait for it……SCHISM?!?
    @ Roger: I got a job with an insurance company many years ago and some deuche bag wanted to “haze” me. If it can happen at a small insurance company then it can happen at a law firm.
    I say, bone up and take your lumps, within reason of course OR unless the dude wanting to haze you is a deuche bag….. This too shall pass..

10. jnolte01 says: Jul 25, 2010 9:07 PM

“When are pro football players going to start acting like professionals”
    When have most NFL players ever acted professionally?

11. Starvin Marvin says: Jul 25, 2010 9:09 PM

A closer analogy would be bus of recruits show up at boot camp.. get yelled at, get haircuts.. become soldiers. Tho juvenile it seems to produce results. And do you really want to stand out for reasons other than being a good football player? Anyhow, whether you agree with Dez or not it sure appears he has a wonderful future as the next great wide receiver diva.

12. devilalum says: Jul 25, 2010 9:10 PM

The fact that Bryant has made this an issue instead of shutting up and doing what every other rookie in the league does, speaks volumes about this guy’s attitude. Hopefully someone kicks his ass. Soon.

13. Branephood says: Jul 25, 2010 9:11 PM

Screw you Williams, carry your own pads scrub. I like Bryant already.

14. Marc2k6 says: Jul 25, 2010 9:12 PM

I wouldn’t have carried Roy Williams sorry a.. shoulder pads either. I would have put my dirty jock on his mouth piece strap and told him to chew on this while your on the sidelines watching me make plays.

15. DustiiB says: Jul 25, 2010 9:12 PM

Man Cowboys fan or not don’t hate on Dez for this. Please Roy is a cocky, overpaid joke. I also find it hard to believe Roy ever paid for anything seeing as I’ve heard from numerous people how tight he is. If I’m Dez, I look at Roy and say “Screw you man…you haven’t earned the right for anyone to carry your pads.” Let alone the guy who is going to take your job and land you on the waiver wire within the next 12 months. I hope Jerry orders Roy to carry Dez’s pads.

16. Marc2k6 says: Jul 25, 2010 9:13 PM

17. IndyColt45 says: Jul 25, 2010 9:17 PM

This makes me like Dez Bryant a million times more. Respected is demanded, not earned. If you act like you are worth being respected, you’ll be respected a hell of a lot faster than trying to run around doing everything asked of you to try and fit it.

18. Mr. Pottersquash says: Jul 25, 2010 9:21 PM

actually, given this kids story I understand. He had GM’s calling his mom a whore, prob even worse growing up. He isn’t going to let someone treat him like he is lesser than any one.

19. Ed in NJ says: Jul 25, 2010 9:24 PM

Fraternities, Christian groups (Jaycees, Knights of Columbus), sports teams, any groups where membership is restricted, have some sort of initiation rituals. Most are harmless and meant to signify exclusivity and humility while earning acceptance. Refusing to take part, especially when it’s a guy you are competing with, is just prima donna behavior, plain and simple.
    Anyone here who is thinks carrying a vets equipment is serious hazing. or has a problem with it probably falls somewhere on the antisocial personality spectrum. Probably still lives with mom and dad and has few friends.

20. Jeremy says: Jul 25, 2010 9:25 PM

Bad move, rook. Yeah it might be stupid and juvinile, but it’s a tradition and every player on that team likely had to do something to humble themselves when they were rookies. Showing up the vets is not a good way to get your career started.
    Now we see why he wasn’t drafted higher.

21. robert ethen says: Jul 25, 2010 9:27 PM

Roy was just lacking in diplomacy. If he phrased it, “My Dad says Dez Bryant couldn’t carry Roy Williams shoulder pads.”, Dez would have toted them for a week.

22. comment_submission_error says: Jul 25, 2010 9:28 PM

Can’t blame Bryant. Rookie hazing might be a tradition, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t lame, especially when the veteran handing you his pads is a bust and not a legend.

23. ganggreenguido says: Jul 25, 2010 9:35 PM

if anything williams should be holding bryants pads

24. enders says: Jul 25, 2010 9:36 PM

I’m liking this kid more and more every day. Seriously, he’s doing everything right. Was quick to get a contract done so he wouldn’t miss any of training camp. And then he was first to show up and last to leave at training camp. He’s not greedy, he’s hard working, and he’s above childish sh*t like carrying another players pads.
    The media just wants so bad for this kid to be a prima donna, and its hilarious that some of these retards are actually buying in to it. Is it that hard to form your own opinion of a guy or do you have to be spoon fed everything to get through your day?
    Roy Williams is trash, why should anyone have to carry that bums pads?

25. funi says: Jul 25, 2010 9:36 PM

I bet hsi mom would carry Roy’s jock, or what’s inside it! Dezi is like his hero’s, Peon Deoin and coke head Irvin..DIVA’S!!!

26. acers says: Jul 25, 2010 9:37 PM

Call it what you want, it is somewhat babified, but it’s really not hazing or anything demeaning.
    If you look at it from a veteran perspective, they want guys who “fit in”. Obviously, Dez will be Dez…..err a jerk. Swallow a little pride as essentially all rookies do.
    And the compariison with the law firm isn’t a good one. This is SPORTS. It IS different than regular society from an entertainment perspective. Rookie lawyers usually aren’t 1st year miilionaires like Dez Bryant is.
    So, from the sports angle, this sort of understanding for the rookies to carry pads, get taped to the goal post, sing their alma matar’s school song is good natured and does bring the rookies “in” with the team.
    Trust me, other players, nearly all in fact in the dallas locker room are thinking “what the hell have you proven yet rook?”

27. burntorangehorn says: Jul 25, 2010 9:38 PM

Rookies should know their place.

28. WhoDey_Man says: Jul 25, 2010 9:40 PM

tatum bell woulda carried his pads…

29. E.A.D. says: Jul 25, 2010 9:41 PM

We make the interns go pick up our lunch, and do the crap job’s; it’s a rite of passage. Deal with it….

30. Jeremy says: Jul 25, 2010 9:41 PM

IndyColt45 says:
    July 25, 2010 9:17 PM
    ___________
    Right. If there’s anything a coach hates is a guy doing what’s he’s told and having a willingness to conform. This is not something that will earn him respect in the lockerroom. It’s the opposite.

31. Dick Gozinia says: Jul 25, 2010 9:42 PM

Tape him to a damned tree.

32. Mustard says: Jul 25, 2010 9:43 PM

I’m fine with it under one condition.
    In the future, we should never hear a story coming out of Cowboys camp where Dez hazes a rookie.
    He’s taken himself out of that camp, and the camaraderie it builds. He can’t play in that game, even if he makes the probowl 7 years in a row, and is the undisputed leader in the locker room.
    He made a stand, anything less would be hypocrisy.

33. DailyRich says: Jul 25, 2010 9:45 PM

So what happens to the other rookies now? If they go along with the tradition, are they somehow less than Bryant?

34. robert ethen says: Jul 25, 2010 9:45 PM

“Dump his ass in the cold tub”….that’s why he is a Merriman, and all the Sheriffs from Nottingham to North Dallas hate him.

35. Kyle H says: Jul 25, 2010 9:48 PM

Bad move by Bryant.
    However I have noticed that lots of kids right out of college think they are pretty special.
    At our work we have a fairly talented kid, about 24 years old, decent kid… BUT he is alienating people because he wants to pretend he already knows everything.
    Bryant should carry Williams’s pads, because like whether he likes Roy Williams or not, he needs to understand that Williams already knows things that Bryant needs to learn. If he would show respect, then Williams might reciprocate by helping him out.
    As it is by refusing to go along with a simple ritual, he has put himself in a spot where his teamates will take pleasure in seeing him fail… as opposed to looking out for him ans smoothing his transition.
    This is shades of Ryan Leaf not paying for dinner. He was wrong not too and so is Williams.

36. blueridge624 says: Jul 25, 2010 9:49 PM

Bryant will now be marked as a punk by every Cowboy veteran.

37. kaprieli says: Jul 25, 2010 9:50 PM

Randy Moss.

38. FumbleNuts says: Jul 25, 2010 9:53 PM

Dez Bryant has already figured out he is a WAY better wide receiver then Roy Williams. This kid is going to light it up for the Cowboys.
    Good for him!

39. jimmy_b says: Jul 25, 2010 9:54 PM

Good for Dez! This is nothing more than hazing. The NFL needs to grow up and change its culture to fit the times we live in.

40. MrHumble says: Jul 25, 2010 9:55 PM

To the morons who are praising Dez Bryant…….none of you have apparently played football. Whether you morons agree with or not is not the freakin point. It is these “rituals” that the players themselves have adopted to create TEAM chemistry and Bryant’s actions are saying that “it’s about ME”……..don’t be surprised if someone on the team “misses a block” or a defensive back puts a little “extra” into a tackle on Bryant and he gets “laid out” becuz that is how it is taken care of within the locker room. A hard hit could result in an injury. Bryant may be coming into the nfl with plenty of hoopala and fanfare but don’t fool yourselves morons, the veterans on the team don’t give a damn about his “rep” coming into camp, they want to see it on the field and until that happens, there is a code that rooks are expected to follow. I know you morons want to still say “good for dez for showing up williams” but they ain’t sayin’ that in the locker room…….even shawn merriams tweet supports what i’m trying to tell you. Dez’s “dis” will be known throughout the league.

41. efangule says: Jul 25, 2010 9:57 PM

Of course he would carry Williams’ pads. He’s got his own tampons to carry. What deva in the making
    And as for someone saying “Respected is demanded, not earned.”. You’re an idiot. You earn respect. Anybody who demands it without proof should be cut quicker than any other rookie on the team.

42. In & Out Burger says: Jul 25, 2010 9:58 PM

I hate to remind everyone but as of right now Roy Williams is better than Dez Bryant. Dez hasn’t done one single thing during an NFL game to show he is above the mundane hazing that every other rookie in the NFL is doing.

43. downwithdansnyder says: Jul 25, 2010 9:58 PM

” because I didn’t want to be that guy”
    Yeh, if you are comfortable with yourself and know that you aren’t a fraud…maybe it’s easier just to be yourself than it is to try so very hard not to be “that guy”. Roy, you are a dushbag.

44. rickvaldez says: Jul 25, 2010 10:03 PM

What a bunch of idiots saying OH I like him already. This has been going on for years and for him to be the punk to say I’m not doing it. What makes him so special?? The same people that bash TO take up for a guy thats never played a down in the NFL.

45. Joshsports60 says: Jul 25, 2010 10:04 PM

This is tradition. The Cowboys better handle this, or the league’s other rookies might think they’re better than the veterans.
    Juvenile or not, this is tradition. Dez Bryant needs to swallow is f’n pride, and get over it.
    This is a diva in the making.

46. Card Magnet says: Jul 25, 2010 10:06 PM

I wouldn’t carry Roy Williams’ pads either…unless it was to the airport to ship his worthless ass out of Dallas.

47. marinofreakout says: Jul 25, 2010 10:09 PM

hahaha what an idiot. any vet is gonna wanna hit this kid that much harder now.
    now get your fu%&n shinebox dez!

48. gasolinej says: Jul 25, 2010 10:11 PM

Ah yes, even the great genius and upstanding citizen Shawne Merriman agrees with you.
    Maybe Roy Williams should choke Dez Bryant, and do roids and get suspended.

49. big log says: Jul 25, 2010 10:11 PM

@Ed in NJ
    well put.

50. Wiscdave says: Jul 25, 2010 10:11 PM

I think we know who will be the first player taped to the goalposts.

51. dedhed says: Jul 25, 2010 10:13 PM

Williams is a joke…. he is being an a$$ because the cowboys drafted a number 1 WR
    Williams should be cut…. he sux on the field and is a locker room cancer. the other players on the team know it too.
    Austin should have stepped up and said something to williams… “if the rook is going to be carrying pads they will be mine”

52. manohman says: Jul 25, 2010 10:16 PM

I can see so many young liberal, anti authority still live with mama think they’re entitled types on so many forums nowadays.
    Pathetic.
    This isn’t going to go away and if any of you HAD been on a REAL college team, REAL High School team much less been fortunate enough to make it to the NFL would know exists on all levels.
    Listen, just because he’s doing well in camp and he resists Roy’s requests you like him already? WTF has he done in the NFL besides be a prima dona self entitled ingrate? Donut.
    Oh, he’s going to get hazed, worse now.

53. Allied Biscuit says: Jul 25, 2010 10:17 PM

he hasn’t caught one pass in the NFL and already thinks he is above and better than everyone else, so he doesn’t have to follow tradition.
    wow. congrats cowboys, you have another TO head case in the making.

54. The Van Buren Boys says: Jul 25, 2010 10:17 PM

I wouldn’t want to carry a 4th stringers pads either!

55. redrum87 says: Jul 25, 2010 10:17 PM

I hear you Dez but it is just something you have to do.
    He was flat out wrong to not do it. It goes on all year so he is going to have a chance to make up for it maybe buy some doughnuts for a position meeting or something during the season. I think him (Williams) asking Dez to carry his pads is a little over the top considering they are competing for the same spot. Perhaps Miles Austin would have been a better person to ask.
    You may have not wanted to be that guy but guess what you are now Dez. It used to be a lot worse not so long ago and sometimes flat out embarrassing. The humiliation (and it really isn’t it is a sign of respect for those who have been there) of walking someones shells back in is nothing.

56. Bwa Ha Ha says: Jul 25, 2010 10:18 PM

Shouldn’t he be carrying Romo’s pads? Or at least his tampons?

57. Jeremy says: Jul 25, 2010 10:18 PM

If Twitter is any indication, this is going to be the big topic on talk shows and in blogs tomorrow. Should be interesting.

58. DoomsDayD75 says: Jul 25, 2010 10:21 PM

Rookie of the Year.

59. Feymon says: Jul 25, 2010 10:23 PM

Well of course Roy needed someone to hold his pads, he kept dropping them.

60. punksnotdead says: Jul 25, 2010 10:23 PM

Take his head off at a couple of practices. Messege sent.

61. polishkingski says: Jul 25, 2010 10:24 PM

THIS ONE IS EASY….having played any football or not rookies never should have this attitude. what an asshole. what if it was moss asking? makes no difference, none whatsoever.

62. harloeisdead says: Jul 25, 2010 10:24 PM

7000th pick?

63. funi says: Jul 25, 2010 10:26 PM

I guess ESPN will cover this all day tomorrow! Wait till he does nto do somethign Romo wants him to do, then all cowpoke fans will be upset with him.

64. footballisfun says: Jul 25, 2010 10:28 PM

My thought is that Bryant should carry the pads but I also thought that Roy Williams stepped out of line for it.
    I think a guy like Witten or Demarcus Ware should have been the ones to lay into the first round pick rookie. Not the receiver that is likely to lose his job to said rookie

65. Allied Biscuit says: Jul 25, 2010 10:31 PM

Oh great, a twitter response. espn will be all over that. forget sports, let’s talk about what this guy said on twitter!

66. Howboutdemcowboys says: Jul 25, 2010 10:32 PM

# devilalum says: July 25, 2010 9:10 PM
    ____________________________________
    I bet you make less than $10.00 dollars an hour with that attitude. The “shut up and do what your told” attitude is a subordinate one.
    It does speak volumes about his attitude. It says unless you sign my checks or are put in charge of me by the person signing my checks you don’t get to tell me what to do.
    Don’t be like every other rookie in the league Dez, be better than that!!!

67. Socrates says: Jul 25, 2010 10:37 PM

I started a new job with a marketing firm earlier this year. On my first day someone packed what must have been 50 ketchup packets under the right front tire of my car. This proved unwise, as it was another car that suffered the brunt of that prank far more than mine. Just a couple of days later I returned from our break room, where I was having my lunch, to find that one of the waste pockets of my sport coat had been stuffed with bacon bits.
    I made no complaints, didn’t even ask who it was that pulled the pranks. Instead, I took my hazing with dignity and actually enjoyed it. It’s was nice to know that my new coworkers weren’t all business all the time. I was happy to be welcomed and recognized.
    Being friendly with one’s coworkers just makes life more enjoyable.

68. db3300 says: Jul 25, 2010 10:38 PM

I have to figure that he might have done it if it was a player that commands respect instead of a big contract who has never come close to earning his paycheck. You’d better have a couple of Pro Bowls under your hat before trying to show up the rookie that is expected to land you on the waiver wire before the end of training camp. And to the guy who said Williams was “way better” than Bryant, you might want to check out how each has performed in camp so far. Bryant has been making acrobatic catches while Roy is still dropping passes.

69. READY2CRUSH says: Jul 25, 2010 10:39 PM

Why the sam hell should Dez Bryant carry “the other” Roy Williams pads?? I mean seriously!! It would be one thing if it was Demarcus Ware or Jason Witten, but ROY WILLIAMS??? This guy sucks and is on the bubble for possibly getting cut!!! Bryant just took your job you bum!! Rookie or not, your career is over big Roy. You should start carrying Bryant’s pads, maybe you’ll remember how to play football again!! YOU SUCK!!!

70. PackerFanTastic says: Jul 25, 2010 10:40 PM

These rookie “hazing” practices while mostly harmless are ridiculous. Good for Dez Bryant standing up against this ridiculous crap. It might be one thing if the veteran was someone worthy of listening to but Roy Williams is a former 1st round bust and basically a worthless receiver. The Cowboys should dump him now. He’s at best their 4th receiver behind Austin, Bryant, and Crayton and that may even be a stretch.

71. NE49ers says: Jul 25, 2010 10:41 PM

Tradition and rituals? Who cares! Its childish and juvenile. Grow up people. We’re all adults here. We have laws against hazing in other areas, but football falls outside that boundary?
    The NFL isn’t as restricted as you’re making it. Dez Bryant didn’t choose the Dallas Cowboys, they chose him. Bryant gets paid to play football and nothing else.

72. Howboutdemcowboys says: Jul 25, 2010 10:42 PM

Guess what Roy you didn’t want to be “that guy” well maybe you should have wanted to be “that guy” Maybe being that guy is the difference between ending up a leader or ending up . . .you!
    If not being that guy appeases people like Shawne Merriman then maybe being that guy is a good thing.
    And if your any other veteran in the locker room and your willing to jeopardize the unity of the team because someone stood up for them self then you need to rethink the whole purpose of hazing in the first place.

73. Bwa Ha Ha says: Jul 25, 2010 10:43 PM

Hey, “manohman” WTF does “liberal” have to do with this? I’m a bit on the “liberal” side and I don’t remember how many “otherwise” butts I have handed back.
    It’s a football post site, ya jerk
    Dez is gonna reget this, unless he is Superman, and I don’t think he is Superman

74. Terry says: Jul 25, 2010 10:46 PM

Dump this “Diva” in the “cold tub”!

75. geo1113 says: Jul 25, 2010 10:51 PM

As an Eagles fan, all I can say bravo to you, Dez.

76. Sparrowhawk says: Jul 25, 2010 10:51 PM

A number of teams do not allow hazing of rookies because it detracts from a professional work place, causes dissension in the locker room and can lead to injuries. Please kids, the NFL is supposed to be a group of adults, not a junior high program.

77. Hugh says: Jul 25, 2010 10:51 PM

Must be the ‘boys fans that are praising Dez for this. They are the only ones stupid enough to believe this is a good thing.

78. majorlots says: Jul 25, 2010 10:53 PM

don’t you have to earn respect before hazing? maybe be in the top 50 of nfl receivers? roy williams is an idiot and dez bryant isn’t exactly much brighter

79. Palaceofsin says: Jul 25, 2010 10:54 PM

Seriously? no one saw this coming? Enjoy TO 2.0…

80. 90ragtop says: Jul 25, 2010 10:55 PM

Dez shoulda carried Roy’s pads directly to the toilet, dumped them in, and flushed. Then he should’ve done exactly the same thing with Roy his own bad self.

81. irish4life says: Jul 25, 2010 10:56 PM

I am reading on these comments about people praising Dez for this! Have any of you ever been on a sports team or been in the military? I am guessing not because when your new or a rookie it’s called showing respect and doing your time. You Rudy poo candy asses were probably to scared to play sports. Stuff like this makes dez look like a non team player which non of you supporters know nothing about since you never played sports. Rookies and entitlements should not be in the same sentance. If you disagree with me I don’t care. Don’t reply because it doesn’t matter what you think!!!!!

82. Wrathchild says: Jul 25, 2010 10:56 PM

Ew, ew, ew, Florio, is this a schism???

83. 49ersrevenge says: Jul 25, 2010 10:59 PM

Much props to Dez Bryant. Rookie hazing is stupid. Stupid is also Shawne Merriman’s middle name.

84. Tyler Durden55 says: Jul 25, 2010 11:00 PM

Day two of Dez’ holdout – drama building eh Florio??!!??!!

85. prophet of the light says: Jul 25, 2010 11:01 PM

Roy Williams is s*** anyways. He should be carrying his own pads and actually earning his spot because so far I haven’t seen s*** from him.
    They both should be begging to carry Miles Austin’s pads.

86. Foghorn John says: Jul 25, 2010 11:03 PM

I like it. These guys are competing for a job. Williams should have had some kind of mental edge as a veteran of both the NFL and the Cowboys system, and Bryant just turned the situation on its head. Williams is quickly approaching Freddie Mitchell status. All he needs is a lucky play and a catch phrase.

87. Howboutdemcowboys says: Jul 25, 2010 11:04 PM

I love it. Hazing is ridiculous and childish at best. If we could get more Dez Bryants in the league it will be gone in a few years.

88. Laxer37 says: Jul 25, 2010 11:04 PM

Roy is lucky that any NFL team will still issue him set of pads.
    Can’t play + over-paid = Dallas Cowboys

89. Howboutdemcowboys says: Jul 25, 2010 11:07 PM

Harmless rookie hazing at the professional level might not be so bad but when the media gives it positive attention and college and high school kids try to emulate the people they look up to it almost always goes wrong.
    Rookie members of the Mepham High School (N.Y.) football team were sodomized with pine cones, broomsticks and golf balls in 2003.
    In July 2006, younger members of the Gustine High School (Calif.) football team were sexually assaulted with an undisclosed foreign object.
    An underage member of the University of Minnesota men’s rugby team died in 2001 after intake of alcohol at a hazing event.

90. mickp says: Jul 25, 2010 11:09 PM

Just because its “tradition” doesn’t mean you have to do it.

91. damnitall says: Jul 25, 2010 11:14 PM

@MrHumble says: July 25, 2010 9:55 PM
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You must be one of the clowns that helped coin the phrase ‘dumb jocks’. You feel hazing creates TEAM chemistry. If the rookie doesn’t go along with your idiotic hazing games someone may ‘miss a block’ and he may get ‘laid out’ which may ‘result in injury’. Somehow to you, this makes sense in the how to build TEAM chemistry world. Why would a professional player ever want to see a team mate get hurt for any reason? Goes along with the mentality that if a pro athlete wants something they better get it or else someones bound to get hurt.

92. TexasBubba says: Jul 25, 2010 11:16 PM

Ol’ Roy couldn’t even carry Dez Bryants jock strap without dropping it.
    Jerry cut Ol’ Roy now.

93. FumbleNuts says: Jul 25, 2010 11:21 PM

Wade Phillips on Bryant: “He looked as good as any player at any position, on the first day, as anybody I’ve seen in a long time,” Phillips said. “He’s got a lot of ability.”
    Dump that bum Roy Williams in the “cold tub.”

94. Ronworth Dubbs says: Jul 25, 2010 11:28 PM

I like how people (Cowboys fans) are saying this is no big deal. Dez Bryants problem going into the draft was his ego. The last coach in Dallas, one Bill Parcells, had a “tradition” of making his 1st round pick be his water bitch along with encouraging this type of “hazing”. In reality, this type of ritual is justified because it humbles the newcomer, because they haven’t done jack yet. Dez Bryant isn’t humble. How can anyone expect him to hone his craft, put in the extra time, and give max effort in his reps when he’s full of himself like this?

95. danielcp0303 says: Jul 25, 2010 11:37 PM

I bet Dez would’ve done it, had it not been Roy Williams. This is Dez telling everybody that he is gonna be the guy. Let the fun begin

96. bigbolt says: Jul 25, 2010 11:38 PM

Phil McConkey would’ve carried his own pads

97. Catamount says: Jul 25, 2010 11:40 PM

It is in good fun. Like joining a fraternity, you become a brother (veteran) at the end of the season. I hope he learns from this so he will be a more understanding newbie when he gets to prison.

98. biggietookit says: Jul 25, 2010 11:40 PM

Hazing? Please. Carrying a vet’s pads falls far short of the elephant walk. It will be interesting to see whether Bryant participates in “hazing” when he’s a vet. I’m betting yes.

99. biggietookit says: Jul 25, 2010 11:42 PM

100. padre29 says: Jul 25, 2010 11:42 PM

Hmm…perhaps Roy uses Tampax and Bryant’s brand is Kotex?

101. troll_aikman8 says: Jul 25, 2010 11:48 PM

The story goes on the explain that Williams asked Bryant to carry the pads because he kept dropping them.
    Ba da bing.

102. Corporal Punishment says: Jul 25, 2010 11:52 PM

If this seems like a childish and meaningless ritual, please open up an anthropology textbook and look up rites of passage. One of the best examples of this is the first half of “Full Metal Jacket” which depicts basic training for marines. It’s not just for jocks and fraternities.

103. paxton says: Jul 25, 2010 11:59 PM

he was dying to get that contract signed JUST so he could show up to camp in time to do this.

104. Dont Taze Me Bro says: Jul 25, 2010 11:59 PM

I can’t believe so many people are defending Bryant. Carrying pads isn’t hazing. It’s about building team unity and Bryant obviously feels he is above all of that.
    Will Bryant also refuse to perform at the rookie show? Don’t stop there, maybe he should refuse to block on run plays because it’s beneath him, or maybe he can dog it on underneath routes because he’s a big play WR, and underneath routes disrespects him.
    Hasn’t anybody every had to do some dumb team building exercise at their job? I have and i bet many others have as well. I suppose i could have refused but then i would have alienated my coworkers and sent up a flag that i am difficult to work with.
    That’s what Bryant just did. It is obvious that he holds himself above the team. The fact that Bryant, and many on this board, think that this was about Bryant standing up for himself, have badly missed the point.

105. funi says: Jul 26, 2010 12:01 AM

Wait till someone spray paints his car or has it towed! The diva will be crying on Irvin’s and Dieon’s shoulder! His mom will be on her knees between Irvin’s legs…

106. SeaColt213 says: Jul 26, 2010 12:01 AM

Frankly i wouldnt carry any of Roy Williams gear… Then again, Roy probably cant hold on to his gear so its probably more of a courtesy thing than hazing.
    But seriously, those of you that are anti-hazing clearly were not athletic enough to make it out of the rec leagues, but hazing is to build camradery. Just like in the military, you have to answer to a higher rank b/c there has to be a
    Chain of command. It isnt supposed to hurt you, its supposed to forge relationships. If you carry a guys helmet after practice everyday for however long, he willlikelyturn around and say “you’re a good dude, dinner and ‘imports’ are on me tnite”…
    Nothing is bigger than the TEAM, so saying you’re above team tradition is selfish. Man up and swallow your pride.

107. Norseman says: Jul 26, 2010 12:04 AM

Dez is the FNG, he ain’t the HNIC yet. STFU and carry the pads.
    Ask any military vet what FNG and HNIC mean.

108. TexasBubba says: Jul 26, 2010 12:05 AM

Ronworth Dubbs
    could that be why The Tuna is not coaching anymore Everyone knows he just looves submissive boys.

109. longthoughts says: Jul 26, 2010 12:07 AM

Feel like he should have sucked it up and been game to some degree of rookie treatment…but is it just me, or is it somehow different because of the fact it was Roy Williams? Roy Williams is a joke player with a joke contract, and Dez Bryant was brought in to be the player Williams was supposed to be when they made that awful trade and gave him a contract far beyond his level of production. Carry the shoulder pads, don’t carry the shoulder pads…but Bryant is still going to supplant Williams at some point in the season.

110. sandy70 says: Jul 26, 2010 12:08 AM

IndyColt45 says:
    July 25, 2010 9:17 PM
    Respected is demanded, not earned.
    ———————————————
    Sure Emmitt, you keep telling yourself that. Someday you’ll believe it.

111. J. Clayton says: Jul 26, 2010 12:16 AM

Roy Williams is a gazillionaire – dude can carry his own junk.

112. SpongeWorthy99 says: Jul 26, 2010 12:17 AM

Isn’t this the same guy who got suspended for the season after 3 games for lying to the NCAA. How can people be defending this punk. People act like he’s Jerry Rice. He played in a pro style offense in college there is no guarantee he won’t be a truck driver in 4 years. Dez has no respect for the game and the tradition that players before him had to go through so he can make millions not even having played a down.

113. billsfan1 says: Jul 26, 2010 12:19 AM

its only fair because by week 2, williams will be carrying Bryants jockstrap and by week 7 he will be keeping bryants old spot on the bench warm…………
    one has to wonder if anybody but a wr (more specifically williams) told him to, would he have? im inclined to think he would have..
    as far as merriman goes.. who cares what he has to say….. he has been irrelevant for nearly 3 years now….

114. 46&2 says: Jul 26, 2010 12:21 AM

i like it. shows he wont take anyones crap. good for him.
    also, just so the rampant homers on this site dont flame me, im a packer fan, have no vested interested in the cowboys, so skip the post where you insult me fans of the other teams in the division :P

115. Demler says: Jul 26, 2010 12:37 AM

LOL! Williams (who plays like pick #7,000)should be carrying ALL of the other receivers pads instead!

116. BrooklynNiner19 says: Jul 26, 2010 12:38 AM

And people said Crabtree was a “Diva” haha !!! Definitely will be problems on the offensive side of the ball.
    P.s. Dez wont have a better rookie year than Crabtreeeeeeeee! ;)
    Go Niners !

117. badmutha says: Jul 26, 2010 12:43 AM

dont burn any bridges roy, sooner or later, dez will hire you to carry his pads, after another horrible season.

118. AutumnWind999 says: Jul 26, 2010 12:46 AM

devilalum says:
    July 25, 2010 9:10 PM
    ————-
    Hooray for conformism.

119. catsville says: Jul 26, 2010 1:10 AM

This is awesome. I mean, Troy Aikman, Emmit Smith, Michael Irvin,Larry Allen, and EVERY other Cowboy and ROOKIE in the league has done this. But NOT Dez “I’m so Important” Bryant. I really do think it’s awesome. Of course, I also hate the Cowgirls.

120. robert ethen says: Jul 26, 2010 1:29 AM

Possibly Dez is worried that Roy’s equipment might be contagious.

121. Great Falconi says: Jul 26, 2010 1:35 AM

Hell, I remember being in basic and we hazed the hell out of the me-first guys who were making us do all that damn extra PT. There’s nothing wrong with being your own man, but being your own man to the detriment of a bunch of other men ain’t gonna sit well.
    (And I’m a liberal, so it doesn’t matter what your politics are. What matters is what your experiences have been.)
    Dez doesn’t understand how unnecessary his refusal was. Carrying the pads would have made him look good. Maybe the kid will be great, but he does need to comprehend situations better.

122. manofaiki says: Jul 26, 2010 1:36 AM

It’s not just Roy. He’s not carrying ANYBODY’S pads.
    Although Roy was the one that demanded it of him.
    And seems to have run to the media to talk about it.
    I have a hard time believing Bryant brought this up with a reporter.

123. fan62 says: Jul 26, 2010 1:40 AM

OMG FLORIO – This is the beginning of the end for a promising young Dallas Team. Because of Dez the franchise will now disintegrate into another decade of rebuilding and 7-9 records. This is what you and other Cowboy haters have been waiting for since the draft, something to say you saw the slide of the cowboys first. OMG – now we will nothing else until for the next 2 weeks! OMG the Cowboys are now going to slide into 6th place in the NFC east! All because Dez won’t pick up Williams stinky-sweaty pads.
    Maybe, Just maybe the reason rookies have such a hard time adjusting to new schemes and new ways of doing things is partly because the older players are making them do things that take time and thought away from what they should be concentrating on.
    I know the hazing took away a lot of my study time when I was a 9th grader. I was always wondering what they were going to do to me next. I was 4’11 and 85 pounds when I entered high school and took more harassment than any of the other 400+ freshman.
    Maybe it is time to try a new approach! Good for Dez and possibly good for the Cowboys!

124. gb_spottedcow says: Jul 26, 2010 1:59 AM

@Howboutdemcowboys:
    When did shoving pinecones up someone’s ass have anything to do with carrying shoulder pads?
    damnitall- well put.
    “bottom of the totem pole” hazing (doing menial tasks while veterans don’t have to) builds respect for elders and respect for a team. That leads to unity. If you never experienced that, you may have never been part of a winning team.

125. aliowls19 says: Jul 26, 2010 2:07 AM

good on dez, williams isnt worthy enough for a rook to carry his pads, rather carry somebodies whose got respect all over the league like crayton if anybody…williams psh please

126. sasquash69 says: Jul 26, 2010 2:52 AM

Chemistry killer? I wonder if its good to have issues day 1 of training camp. I would think that is where a team comes together. Carry the bags rookie, you just joined a brotherhood. Besides things like that could cost you millions down the road. Behavior problems give some players bad reputations, and turn other teams off. Just ask TO. TO had all the ability but was a bad teammate and it cost him at least 15-20 million just in contract money. If he didn’t become a head case in Philly or Dallas he could have owned either city with endorsement money.

127. Route36West says: Jul 26, 2010 2:52 AM

The kids been a part of the NFL for less then a week and is already being a diva and dividing a locker room.
    T.O. 2.0 has arrived in Dallas.
    Actually I bet T.O. carried pads as a rookie and he also wasnt kicked off his college football team. It took T.O. years to be that big of a jackass and its taken Bryant only days.

128. AbeFreshly says: Jul 26, 2010 3:00 AM

Carrying a vet’s shoulder pads is considered to be ‘hazing’?
    Really?
    Yeah. OK.
    I always thought that they resorted to this ridiculously tame stuff because REAL hazing was stupid & maybe even a bit dangerous.
    They still wanted to continue the tradition, albeit in a relatively harmless way.
    Now, GO GET YOUR SHINEBOX ROOK!
    “Props to Dez for standing his ground” say the naive. I think the worst is yet to come for him over this. tch. Too bad. Things were going so well for him, too…
    Ahhhhhhhhhh. Rookies. :)

129. plt2006 says: Jul 26, 2010 3:02 AM

The reality is that the vast majority of states have anti-hazing laws on the books and the coaches and NFLPA ignores them with all the training camp hazing that goes on. Being forced to carry another players pads as a rookie could easily be proven to qualify as hazing. ESPN and other sports news outlets puff the practice up even more with the “comical” stories, etc. There is an excellent opportunity for some rookie to take other players, the coaches, the team, the union AND the league to court since there really is no plausible deniablity and plenty of evidence.

130. CanadianVikingFan says: Jul 26, 2010 3:04 AM

Good on him, Dez should of knocked his ass out as well. That’s just degrading, “tradition” or not.

131. yeay!gobirds! says: Jul 26, 2010 3:38 AM

I have been a super Football mark for 20 years now in both college and pro football. NEVER once have i heard of a player refusing to do the small hazing such as carry pads and fetch lunch or what have you. Imo this is just the beginning if the kid can’t do what every other player in the history of the game has done what is he gona do next…. “i don’t need to practice they only pay me to play the games and make plays” seriously this guy is a bad apple from the start, i’m no Dallas fan but i do feel bad for the fans, they could have drafted a safety or some other need but they took a chance on someone who is gona end up even worse for that team than T.O. was…… anyone wanna bet if he has a good year he holds out next year for more money ?

132. Hold 'Em TDs says: Jul 26, 2010 3:40 AM

I’d call him a prima donna if he refused to carry Witten’s or Ware’s stuff, but Roy Williams? Come on now. Roy is a sloppy receiver that plays like a rookie. Ray Sherman had to teach Williams the fundamentals of route-running, WR 101, as a veteran!
    Bryant has been praising teamwork since the OTA’s, so he is not saying “It’s about me.” Williams is just trying to get any advantage over Bryant that he can.

133. Mainbucsfan says: Jul 26, 2010 4:07 AM

@MrHumble, good call I couldn’t have said it better myself. Dez just lost respect of all the players past and present in the NFL. All the greats had to do it weather they wanted to or not. It signafies a tribute to the legacy of the game.

134. packerfanfornot4life says: Jul 26, 2010 4:12 AM

our military men and women have hazing rituals too!!! does it make them unprofessional and childish??? it is just a tradition to put the young guys and gals in their place and be humbled a bit and show them u have to earn respect. my question is will he try to do it to a rookie next year??

135. SHIRO-STYLE says: Jul 26, 2010 4:29 AM

i cant wait til bryant is a bust just like williams

136. TexasBubba says: Jul 26, 2010 5:42 AM

All NFL players are like mercenaries, and prostitutes and work only for money and whoever will pay them.
    Let Ol’Roy whine

137. We need linemen says: Jul 26, 2010 5:48 AM

Rookie hazing, even the really minor stuff like carrying pads, is borderline retarded. These are meant to be adults and professionals, they need to grow up.
    The tradition justification, “I had to do it when I was a rookie”, is moronic. If you’ve been subject to a pointless and unpleasant tradition you reject it, you don’t inflict it upon the next guy down the line.

138. kurtismantronik says: Jul 26, 2010 6:07 AM

Roy Williams needs to focus on more important things than hazing Dez Bryant or step two will be getting cut and step three will be learning a new offense.

139. tv says: Jul 26, 2010 6:37 AM

Another diva WR? Gee, how fresh!

140. ham1 says: Jul 26, 2010 6:48 AM

Its just a cat fight under the guise of hazing. Divas just being bitchy.

141. steelerfan9598 says: Jul 26, 2010 7:05 AM

Carry pads? Maybe. Carry HIS pads? Hell no. He should have picked another rookie. Like, you know, one that wasn’t about to take his JOB.

142. promichael says: Jul 26, 2010 7:09 AM

“Bryant won’t carry Roy Williams’ pag”; good for Bryant this tradition is stupid. It really does not work in colleges, the Naval Academy, West Point etc…….abuses always occur. If a rookie can perform better than a veteran and they often do. Why allow this stupid tradition to continue.

143. jaxdolfan says: Jul 26, 2010 7:11 AM

He probably just didn’t want to catch whatever disease that Roy Williams has that makes him suck so bad.

144. ejtowne says: Jul 26, 2010 7:15 AM

Carry the pads you spoiled little s-it! Can’t carry on an NFL tradition because he thinks he is better than everybody else! Todays players make me wanna puke! I can’t wait until they come up with that rookie pay scale!

145. ebr362 says: Jul 26, 2010 7:33 AM

Way to go Dez, came out prior to the draft claiming you were no diva and now you claim you are too good to do what every other player on your team has done. Way to go, earn their respect as a TEAM MATE! lmao. I hope what they have planned for you next is beyond humiliating. Sniff the future cowboy fans, an all about me type of guy.

146. phildo says: Jul 26, 2010 7:36 AM

So T.O did come back to Dallas!

147. QB1 says: Jul 26, 2010 7:38 AM

Notice it wasn’t Miles, Crayton, Witten, or Marion asking him to do this crap.
    Dez is outplaying all of them so far. I wouldn’t carry Roy’s pads. Roy is just trying to create an issue for Dez because he knows in 2 days what we all knew when he was drafted…. Dez is Roy’s ticket out of town. I’ll take Hurd over Roy W.
    If Roy would focus on catching the darn ball and running the routes correctly he might get better. News flash, Roy. Romo already has more chemistry with Dez and more trust in Dez than he has in you.

148. BengalsDouche2 says: Jul 26, 2010 7:41 AM

I’m so glad the Bengals didn’t draft this punk. However, had we drafted him and this story popped up about him not carrying Ocho’s pads, all you fools would have been “ehh typical Bungal. He’ll be arrested in no time.”, “what a punk. Bungals deserve him.” Bunch of haters on here. Can’t wait to see Dallas implode this year with that fake “elite” qb they have. Bryant is a Prima Donna that needs put in his place. Hopefully someone on D puts him on his a$$ in camp to show him who runs $hit.

149. FoF says: Jul 26, 2010 7:46 AM

I can guarentee you one thing, next year Dez Bryant will be making some rookie carry his pads. What a prima donna hypocrite. Reminds me of when Aaron Rodgers was a rookie and nobody on the Packers could stand him.

150. Bill says: Jul 26, 2010 7:51 AM

How dare a grown man want to be treated like a grown man.
    Hazing is for children. The NFL is a man’s game.

151. Bill says: Jul 26, 2010 7:51 AM

How dare a grown man want to be treated like a grown man.
    Hazing is for children. The NFL is a man’s game.

152. MNFANINAZ says: Jul 26, 2010 7:55 AM

34-3 when we last saw these clowns and how do they start the season??? Bickering about a new star not carrying the pads of some wanna be star??
    I never thought anything could make that lame Romo story about going on a guys play date at six flags seem interesting but somehow they’ve done it.
    The Cowboys have become a joke. I remember the days where these guys were the biggest and best thing going… now look at em. They’re pathetic…
    Sincerely,
    Keith Brookings’ tears after #4 put that final nail in their coffin
    34-3 bitches.
    see you in Dallas on Feb. 6
    You can carry our pads to the stadium…

153. HOI says: Jul 26, 2010 7:56 AM

Jerry brings this crap on himself… Wasnt Ryan Leaf “one of those guys?” Didnt want any part of all the rookie hazing? His attitude served him well…is he still in prison?

154. Bruce says: Jul 26, 2010 8:00 AM

It’s evident to me most posters against this have never played contact sports, which most times requires a “fraternal” atmosphere – I’m talking “team” here. Keep it up DB and some DB is going to crack your A$$.
    This guy’s a team player? Look up the definiyion boys.

155. jj jones says: Jul 26, 2010 8:02 AM

Future Bengal Dez Bryant

156. NoKoolaidCowboy says: Jul 26, 2010 8:13 AM

Hazing is really none of a fan’s business. It’s something those guys do and they believe in it. How Bryant’s actions effect his place on this team will be dealt with from within, and there is nothing that your beliefs about hazing being juvenile can do about it. Suck it.

157. Al Davis' 40 Time says: Jul 26, 2010 8:16 AM

Ed in NJ says:
    July 25, 2010 9:24 PM
    ————————————
    FACT.
    Seriously, everyone does it. I can’t stand the fact that Bryant is taking a “moral high ground” on this “issue.” He’s obviously just doesn’t want to feel like the new guy who needs to prove himself.

158. Real Football Fan says: Jul 26, 2010 8:25 AM

Although hazing has been a part of football forever, Williams just looks like a jack ass in this situation because Bryant is focused on being great, while he’s literally raising an issue about the traditions of rookie hazing instead. How about grabbing that playbook so that you can get on the same page with Romo, Roy? He’s so gone after this season, lol.

159. gs7101 says: Jul 26, 2010 8:25 AM

Welcome to the NFL Dez — yes it’s an old tradition to do mediocre tasks for veterans. Dez isn’t the first rookie to squawk at something. During Jeremy Shockey’s rookie training camp (with the NY Giants), he refused to sing his college’s fight song (he was eating a meal). His refusal ended up into a fist fight with a teammate. Let’s see if Dez refuses to buy and bring in breakfast burritos or donuts for his coaches.

160. freewilhunting says: Jul 26, 2010 8:26 AM

The only people who agree with this decision are cowboys fans.
    Face the fact that you drafted another degenerate who thinks they are better than everyone else and above being a rookie.
    Although he is a year removed from college, so maybe he has a point.

161. Black QB White RB says: Jul 26, 2010 8:28 AM

Nice try Roy Williams…..maybe if you were a player he respected he would carry the pads…but since he knows your job is now going to be his, maybe he’d carry Miles Austin’s pads..while you watch….
    Purely a littl one-upsmanship by RW and it failed badly. Just like his career is failing badly.

162. tatum32 says: Jul 26, 2010 8:30 AM

i’d love to see Junior Seau’s “step two” on Bryant…or a getting a gallon of gatorade dumped on him during an interview…….
    its childish, but it would show he’s a good sport and not a “total a#$hole”. The nerve of this guy; “Im here to win a championship” – what a f$%king idiot. How about…Im here to learn as much as I can, not be a distraction and play like an absolute team player?”
    Nonetheless, Roy Williams was the wrong guy to carry that out – he’s probably on his way out, but earns too much. Wonder what “step 2″ is.

163. Chapnasty. says: Jul 26, 2010 8:31 AM

Am I the only person here that thinks he might have said no because he understood what Roy Williams was trying to do here. He is obviously at risk of not only losing his starting spot but his spot on the team. Roy was doing this to try to stuff it in his face and show the media that Dez is only worthy of carrying his pads. I agree with most everyone else, if Witten or Ware or even Newman asked him, I bet he would have gladly done so.
    It is obvious though that the meida needs something to rag on the Cowboys for as they have had a smooth, story free off season and are clear favorites to go to and likely win the Superbowl.

164. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Jul 26, 2010 8:42 AM

In fairness, Bryant did carry Williams’ Maxi-Pads, Tampax and Summer’s Eve douches earlier in the day. Sadly, when he handed the parcel to Roy it was dropped and Williams pulled a hammy. Nevertheless, Jerry Jones was so impressed, he sent Detroit another 1st round draft pick (in 2013).

165. Andreasx10 says: Jul 26, 2010 8:43 AM

devilalum says:
    July 25, 2010 9:10 PM
    Did bryant make it an issue or did you and the media make it an issue.

166. Cruells says: Jul 26, 2010 8:44 AM

The Diva needs to shut up and get going,..
    He is the new T.O.. Good luck with him Cowgirls..

167. steelcurtaind says: Jul 26, 2010 8:51 AM

168. TheToolofTools says: Jul 26, 2010 9:03 AM

this guy is just a clown.

169. dakotah says: Jul 26, 2010 9:03 AM

Thats it, he’s a bust. Might as well release him right now.

170. BengalsDouche2 says: Jul 26, 2010 9:14 AM

jj jones- Really? We passed his punk a$$ up in the draft for a reason. It’s bad when the Bengals pass a guy up b/c he’s a pain in the a$$ when we already have ocho and are about to sign T.O. Shows you how bad Dez Bryant is going to be for the Cowgirls. He’ll be the next cancer in that locker room. Good luck boys!

171. OranjelloJones says: Jul 26, 2010 9:19 AM

freewillhunting speak for yourself because otherwise you’re full of crap. Plenty of us who aren’t Cowboy fans are good with this.
    To all the folks saying he’s lost respect or that hazing builds character or creates a totem of respect….BUUUULLLLLLLL!
    Don’t give me crap about playing on a sports team or having been in the military or a fraternity. I’ve played on many teams including football teams, been in a fraternity that was renowned for being the hardest hazing on campus and I was raised on an Army Post and surrounded by “grunts” my whole life. In fact we lost our charter for 2 years because of the hazing that me and my pledge class were being subjected to, that included physical stuff and epic stuff you see in movies like drinking your own puke.
    1. I played along some but there was plenty of it I refused to lower myself to…and ultimately I got more respect because of it, in fact I wound up president of this group. I also didn’t haze a single person after me, and I got hazed worse than all but my pledge brothers. Acting like a child and abusing someone else is never justified by tradition or history, that’s an epic copout.

172. OranjelloJones says: Jul 26, 2010 9:20 AM

Hazing (carrying pads might be mild but it’s textbook hazing for all you excuse makers and apologists) does NOT create unity, that’s 100% bullcrap and hasn’t been proven 1 single time by a single person anywhere. Prove it does if you disagree…anecdotal evidence doesn’t fly here either, give us some hard facts and data.
    Basically all of the apologists and the NFL players in favor of this crap need to grow up. It is indeed childish and bullchit and using the excuse that it’s tradition and everyone else before has done it is the height of lame spineless conformism that pretty much does nothing to biuld unity.
    Struggle together builds unity, getting abused by someone else (no matter how benign) does nothing but create animosity and resentment and team that years rookies resentment towards the a-holes on the team willing to haze someone they’re going to claim as a friend in a few months. What kind of spineless simpleton respects someone who treats them with disrespect?

173. MusicLover says: Jul 26, 2010 9:21 AM

Dez Bryant and Jerry Jones: two classy guys who were made for each other.
    And you thought TO was bad?

174. OranjelloJones says: Jul 26, 2010 9:22 AM

Sports hazing is weak, the athletes payed their dues by working their ases off and making plays on the field to earn their spot. They didn’t join a freakin fraternity or club, they didn’t sign up for the military with little to no knowledge of the endeavor they’ve signed up for. No they’ve trained their entire sporting lives to make it to the NFL, just because some other douche made it a year or two earlier doesn’t mean he’s got the right to start with juvenile hazing crap.
    As a Redskins fan who loathes all things Cowboy I am singing this kid’s praises today. Hooray! Someone with self respect and a set of balls who doesn’t give two chits if some overrated douche wants him to carry his junk and has enough self respect not to lower himself to the childish level so many meat headed, idiotic spineless athletes of the past have. If Troy and Emmitt et al took it without protest it just shows their lack of mental fortitude and willingness to play the weak willed conformist role. If it’s so effective at team building then why doesn’t it help all the crappy teams? Answer: because it DOESN’T mean di*k in terms of team chemistry.

175. Bell63 says: Jul 26, 2010 9:26 AM

I find a bunch of millionaires hazing another millionaire to be just lame.

176. IndyColt45 says: Jul 26, 2010 9:40 AM

# Jeremy says: July 25, 2010 9:41 PM
    __________
    Since when did Roy Williams become a coach? Roy Williams is a hack who realizes his replacement is now on the roster, and decided he was going to try to make Bryant his bitch by making him carry his bags.
    The ironic thing is that Williams is about a month away from hauling bags for a living.

177. gasolinej says: Jul 26, 2010 9:43 AM

I’m sure Dez’s agent, minister, mother and Deion Sanders will hold a meeting, and convince Dez that he needs to carry Roy’s pads.
    It’s a bit early to call him a diva. If he’s still pulling this kind of crap in his mid 30s, like TO, then maybe he’s a diva. Right now I think he’s just a prideful 21 year old kid who has some learning to do.
    There are a lot worse things he could be doing.

178. freewilhunting says: Jul 26, 2010 9:51 AM

@OranjelloJones: “Sports hazing is weak, the athletes payed their dues by working their ases off and making plays on the field to earn their spot.”
    How many plays has he made again?
    Every player in the past has done this. Especially the high paid rookies. It gives them a reality check (not a big enough one if you ask me) that no matter who they think they are, they are no more important than the 2nd team center who has played back up for 5 years making the league minimum. If that guys asks you to carry his pads, carry his damn pads. By saying you are not means that you are a “better” person than everyone else on the team who has done it. You only ostracize yourself by doing this. It is a rite of passage, one that he needs to take, to be part of the team, one of the guys, or however else you want to say it. If he doesn’t his team WILL think less of him, and it WILL create chemistry issues.
    Is it easier to be teammates with some one you respect or disrespect? uhmmmmm??? Interesting.
    The reason it does not help “crappy” teams is because every team is doing it. If every team is doing it, then they all get the same benefit and the “other” parts of the game are what make you a poor team or a great team
    They are not asking him to pick the soap up on the shower, just show respect to veterans who have been there before and carry some pads, even if they are a Diva. That would gain more respect than any protest. Carry a persons pads who you are competing against, is a known bust, and still beat him on the field. Imagine what his team mates would think of him then.

179. Strick says: Jul 26, 2010 9:54 AM

Hazing is stupid, counterproductive childish crap. I don’t care whether you’re talking about the NFL, the playground, or the Navy Seals – hazing is just the old-timers showing their contempt and resentment of the new guys.
    Period.
    Having said that, I have no doubt this little shithead is going to be the next T.O. Couldn’t happen to a nicer team… unless it was the Vikings.

180. jjared1101 says: Jul 26, 2010 10:05 AM

How the hell does carrying pads build team unity. Going out to eat as a group; staying after practice and catching balls as a group; studying film together; going over to someone’s house for a weekend bbq. THAT’S a positive way of building team unity. Carrying someone’s pads is type of humiliation and it’s being carried out by Roy because he knows Dez is hot on his heels. People need to grow up with all this “he just lost respect” bull crap. If you need to lower yourself to someone to gain respect, then that’s sad.

181. morris says: Jul 26, 2010 10:08 AM

Dear Mr. Moron (sorry Humble)
    When you come out of your cave and realize it’s 2010, you may also recognize that most NFL football players believe they have the right to do whatever they want (carry guns, beat up their partners, drive drunk, snort whatever it is they snort) and the reason is because neanderthals like you exist. Hey, it’s the way things have always been done is as stupid, moronic and simple an explanation as there is. When someone can’t think of anything better to say, that’s the reason they give.
    By the way, do you know women and blacks now have the vote. If we continued to do things the way they’ve always been done, they’d still be waiting.
    I always think that someone so stupid as to call other’s morons because they don’t agree speaks volumes about the intelligence (or lack thereof) of the person doing the namecalling.
    Iceman

182. Favre'sDirtyWranglers says: Jul 26, 2010 10:11 AM

With the money JJ paid Roy to play he should be the one carrying pads, cleaning toliets, washing dishes. You get the point.

183. wrath4771 says: Jul 26, 2010 10:35 AM

I’m all right with it as long as he doesn’t expect a rookie to carry his pads next year.

184. Joe says: Jul 26, 2010 10:45 AM

i wouldnt want to carry that assholes pads either but Dez shoulda just did it because it has now caused attention to him and some people will take it like he is already bucking the system.

185. NE49ers says: Jul 26, 2010 10:58 AM

why does one have to lower and degrade himself to be a part of the team?

186. freewilhunting says: Jul 26, 2010 10:59 AM

People are claiming that hazing is barbaric.
    Grown men hitting each other as hard as possible to stop or to help get a ball made from a slaughtered cow hide across an imaginary goal line while people with painted faces are getting hammered and screaming as loud as they can are watching and cheering for more. And in between maulings on the field these same painted faced people are being entertained by and ogling females wearing a square foot of cloth to cover extremely enhanced cleavage and rear ends.
    That is all menusha. I watch football to see if the defense is going to use a umbrella zone or blitz and go balls out on third and long.
    God forbid that barbaric activity should exist.

187. texasPHINSfan says: Jul 26, 2010 12:08 PM

hazing happens everywhere in some form or another. taking a stand like this, while noble, just shows everyone else that went through it that you’re a prima donna.
    Dez’s fast track to prima donna status continues….

188. numberfour says: Jul 26, 2010 12:11 PM

i dont like dez but…
    it’s hilarious that bryant did it to the guy whose job he will be taking. or that williams tried to do it to the guy who will be replacing him.
    in the military there is an element of actual superiors doing the hazing.
    on the field there are no superiors. if the coaches did the hazing, ok.
    they arent. bryant doesnt work for another player.
    especially that one.

189. stetai says: Jul 26, 2010 12:20 PM

Some of u people just don’t get it. No s*** no one in their right mind would want to carry some other guys’ pads, but this is football, this is a fraternity with traditions and respect.
    All rookies pay their dues, so save your moral codes for some other profession. it’s not like he made him go down on him or something, its carrying pads after practice.
    Congrats Cowboys for continuing your tradition of spoiled entitled wide receivers!

190. azlionsfan says: Jul 26, 2010 12:27 PM

what??? where are the quotes from Michael Irvine, Chris Carter and Deon Sanders. As the self made mentors for the WR’s of the NFL they have a responsibility to get involved here.
    Also very dissapointing that Rev. Al and Jesse aren’t getting involved here. There are clear implications of slave treatment here!!!

191. stanjam says: Jul 26, 2010 12:30 PM

192. .Vox Veritas. says: Jul 26, 2010 12:48 PM

“P.s. Dez wont have a better rookie year than Crabtreeeeeeeee! ;)”
    Of course not. The Cowboys actually have more than one offensive weapon. And they also have a viable NFL-caliber QB, unlike the 49ers.

193. .Vox Veritas. says: Jul 26, 2010 12:51 PM

“it’s one thing to disagree with the principle, another to just tell everyone that you’re not going to go through what everyone else had to go through.”

194. .Vox Veritas. says: Jul 26, 2010 12:53 PM

“Soooooo glad the Patriots traded their pick to the Cowboys and didn’t draft this diva.”
    I’m not sure the Patsies can fit another diva in their locker room anyway. You already got Belichick and Brady, I’m surprised that the rest of the team doesn’t have to dress in the bathroom.

195. .Vox Veritas. says: Jul 26, 2010 12:56 PM

“Dez Bryant and Jerry Jones: two classy guys who were made for each other.
    And you thought TO was bad? ”
    There are worse people on every team than Jerry Jones and TO. Get some perspective.

196. steelerhypocrite says: Jul 26, 2010 12:57 PM

Matt Millen once sniffed Johnnie Morton’s jock…

197. .Vox Veritas. says: Jul 26, 2010 12:58 PM

“Wow…. This kid may want to do things like Irvan and Owens in that #88, but you cant show that arrogant swagger unless you earned it. What a punk… If he keeps on this path his head will be bigger than his game. ”
    Hopefully his head doesn’t get so jacked up that he thinks its ok to rape a chick in a bar bathroom like SOME head cases apparently do.

198. .Vox Veritas. says: Jul 26, 2010 1:10 PM

“jj jones- Really? We passed his punk a$$ up in the draft for a reason. It’s bad when the Bengals pass a guy up”
    No it’s not. One thought that should never ever ever cross the mind of any player, coach, front office guy or fan is “we should have followed the Bengals’ lead”.
    It’s astounding how many first round draft picks that team has pissed away in the last 20 years.

199. -Slap- says: Jul 26, 2010 1:11 PM

Dez to Roy: “Don’t haze me, bro!”

200. .Vox Veritas. says: Jul 26, 2010 1:15 PM

“maybe he should refuse to block on run plays because it’s beneath him, or maybe he can dog it on underneath routes because he’s a big play WR, and underneath routes disrespects him.”
    You can cure your problem with two steps:
    1 – put your head in a sack
    2 – slam the sack with your head in it in the door at least 6 times
    Do it because it’s traditional to do that.

201. .Vox Veritas. says: Jul 26, 2010 1:16 PM

“I like how people (Cowboys fans) are saying this is no big deal. Dez Bryants problem going into the draft was his ego. The last coach in Dallas, one Bill Parcells, had a “tradition” of making his 1st round pick be his water bitch along with encouraging this type of “hazing”.”
    Bill Parcells also has a “tradition” of not winning any playoff games since the 90′s.

202. .Vox Veritas. says: Jul 26, 2010 1:17 PM

“@MrHumble, good call I couldn’t have said it better myself. Dez just lost respect of all the players past and present in the NFL.”
    I’m sure that every NFL player ever needs you to speak for them.

203. dlmcc0909 says: Jul 26, 2010 2:04 PM

Rookie hazing is fine, but I dont know about Roy Williams being the one to do it. Especially when Dez Bryant is gunning for his starting job. He should be focusing on trying to outperform Bryant, who so far seems to have impressed everyone with his play.

204. Other Bears says: Jul 26, 2010 2:13 PM

If he had said “I’ll carry Mile Austin’s bads, but not yours” it would have been sweet, but since he took the “I’m here to play football” crap, he just came off like a whiner.
    Those of you criticising the lack of professionalism inherent in “hazing” should think back to when you were in your early twenties. Most males under 25 are immature and unprofessional. Furthermore, their profession is to play a game. It IS all fun and games in their world. Dez is just being a punk.

205. Borg30 says: Jul 26, 2010 2:54 PM

Voxy said: Not really. When you became a freshman in high school, did you let some seniors stuff you into a locker or whatever just because it was tradition? I didn’t.
    You were the high school Mascot.

206. Jaxeagle says: Jul 26, 2010 3:04 PM

Carry the pads sing your schools fight song and be done with it, you wanna get even take Roy’s damn job and laugh at his ass when he gets cut. The enabling is just beginning. The vets need to handle this asap.

207. dieharddolfan6493 says: Jul 26, 2010 3:29 PM

its realy a dumb ritual but it teaches your place on football team YOUR A ROOKIE YOU HAVE YET TO PROVE YOU MEAN ANYTHING TO THIS TEAM, NOW CARRY MY JOCK STRAP! weve all been through it in highschool. TO, randy moss, jerry rice, andre johnson all had to do rookie rtuals he isnt special. by refusing to carry the pads hes telling everybody on that team “im too good to even have this star on my jersey”. it shows how much a offseason headache hell be in the future.

208. BobsCountryBunker says: Jul 26, 2010 3:43 PM

And we all wait anxiously to see what Ed Werder can turn this drivel into … GO ED…GO ED!

209. Bluestarbill says: Jul 26, 2010 4:22 PM

All if you guys who say “this is tradition who cares if it’s juvenile” are the same guys who keep making the same mistakes over and over again. The guys in here saying that “he is a prima dona” for not carrying pads have never had a backbone. Use the logical side of your f**king brain for a second please! These are grown ass men! If he doesn’t want to carry the pads then he doesn’t have to and guess what…EVERYONE will MOVE ON!!! this is not going to cause any problems in the locker room. It gets your rocks off because you love to live a drama filled life. Have a mind of your own (Dez sure does) and quit caring what other people think of you. I was aa all-state WR a 3A highschool in tx and played division 1a wr at SMU. I never once accepted hazing and guess what, my team loved me just the same. It’s all about how he does on the field. As long as he doesn’t say s**t about teammates behind their back (a la TO) and he produces at a high level (a la Miles Austin) his teammates will love him!

210. Bluestarbill says: Jul 26, 2010 4:26 PM

Also…you idiots have zero clue why these veterans do this…it has nothing to do with building unity, it’s all about “well I did it so you have to too! It’s total brain washing just like the military example given above. Grow up everyone and get out of the childish, drama addicted pettiness you participate in now.

211. Bious says: Jul 26, 2010 4:31 PM

Is anyone surprised by this?
    He has an inflated attitude everywhere he goes and if he thinks that he will be able to get by with this attitude, he is kidding himself

212. jaypeso says: Jul 26, 2010 4:36 PM

As juvenile as this seems it does show that dez thinks he’s above doing it. It does build unity unless people are being jerks. He is no position to say “Im here to win championships.” arent all players in the business to win championships and get paid. Anyone who hasn’t carried an upperclassmen’s pads or gone through some form of hazing has never played on a football team. And who would compare this to working at an insurance company or law firm. You deal with it during camp then you move on. But Dez has already given all those who dont like him ammunition.

213. jibfest says: Jul 26, 2010 4:40 PM

The big question is whether his mother will continue to prositute. Maybe on road games?

214. Nyjets31 says: Jul 26, 2010 4:53 PM

I guess he figured he’s already better than Roy ,he should have replied no but you can carry mine??

215. sandy70 says: Jul 26, 2010 5:39 PM

Bluestarbill says:
    July 26, 2010 4:22 PM
    I was aa all-state WR a 3A highschool in tx and played division 1a wr at SMU.
    ———————————————–
    If, as an all state player, you aren’t good enough to go to Baylor, you’ve already experienced hazing.
    Spin it any way you want, but you know it’s true.

216. GB3Pack4 says: Jul 26, 2010 6:37 PM

Whether or not Dez likes it, he’s (one of) the new kid(s) on the block. He’s green and they’re just letting him know it. Refusing to PARTICIPATE in this harmless ritual gains him absolutely nothing; doing so would not prevent him from standing out on his own later via quality performances. But now he’s let them know”
    (1) that he’s not a good sport;
    (2) that he thinks he knows more than they do, these vets of the Pros, vets of the League, vets of His Team;
    (3) that he’s far more interested in staying separate from his teammates, than in becoming a member of the team, and
    (4) that he’s stupid, unable to think things through and see that sometimes the smallest gestures yield the greatest benefits.
    He’s made an issue of it now. More to follow.

217. junior3443 says: Jul 26, 2010 7:16 PM

This guy is a rookie, he shouldn’t have a say in what he is doing at the teams training camp.This is what is wrong with the cowgirls no leadership. tony homo needs to grow a pair step in and show dezzie a thing or two about being a rookie. Its just pads come on its not like he was taped to the field goal posts and then told to carry the pads. They should dump he ass in the cold tub like merriman says.This is why football is going down hill because its ok for rookies to do this. No matter what you do for a living( line cook to a judge) when your starting out you have to do the crap jobs before you start enjoying fruits of your labor.

218. BCGreg says: Jul 26, 2010 8:43 PM

It’s called Humble Pie, Dez, not disrespect. You say “no disrespect”, but that’s exactly what you’re doing. You’ve had your ass kissed for the last 5 years or so and will continue to have it kissed for the rest of your life if you’re lucky. Stop complaining like a child, and take the “hazing” like a man.
    Do you honestly think that the rest of the team is gonna let this slide? Here’s what will happen. When you have to buy the team dinner, which the 1st round pick traditionally does, instead of 20 bottles of Dom, the vets will order 50. Instead of Prime Rib, they’ll order prime rin AND lobster And a plate to take home. You’re only screwing your self because your signing bonus will be gone in one night.
    The rookie “hazing” that goes on now shouldn’t even be called hazing to boot..

219. BCGreg says: Jul 26, 2010 8:47 PM

morris says
    By the way, do you know women and blacks now have the vote.
    ———————-
    No shit, Sherlock. Look who’s in the White House.

220. In & Out Burger says: Jul 27, 2010 12:11 AM

@-Slap-
    Best comment ever.

221. smithopher says: Jul 27, 2010 3:57 PM

I remember what it was like when I was a freshman college athlete, the upperclassmen all expected to do all this s#!t, and I took about a day and a half of it before I’d had enough. Hazing is just stupid in my eyes and strong young people won’t let them happen to them. I ended up being one of the most valuable athletes on my team as a freshman, so if you asked anybody whether they’d rather haze me and have me quit or not haze me and keep me around, they’d have kept me in a heartbeat. There’s no excuse to be hazing rookies in a (supposedly) professional setting.

222. warpath21 says: Jul 29, 2010 6:12 PM

He ain’t gonna be able to carry sh%# after that first Sunday night! Hopefully Roy warned him about those burgundy and gold footsteps that do crackya!
    warpath21 out