Martellus Bennett: "I'm tougher than most people think"

Cowboys tight end Martellus Bennett, who opened camp on the non-football injury list, missed his second straight practice today with a sprained left ankle. But he talked to reporters at the Alamodome and said he’ll be ready to go soon.

“I’m not a guy who’s been injured a lot, but injuries happen,” Bennett said, per the Dallas Morning News. “I’m tougher than most people think. I’m ready to play.”

Bennett also offered some details about how he suffered the injury, saying he was working on “jump ball” plays last week at the Cowboys’ Valley Ranch facilities and landed awkwardly on the ankle. Bennett was reportedly not under the Cowboys’ supervision when he suffered the injury, which is why it’s considered a non-football injury.

Bennett expects to be off the non-football injury list and on the practice field this week.

“It’s not really frustrating,” Bennett said. “But I need to get back to where I need to be. I want to play.”

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
10 Responses to “Martellus Bennett: "I'm tougher than most people think"”
  1. jjared1101 says: Jul 25, 2010 2:50 PM

Martellus Bennett doesn’t do push ups….he pushes the Earth down…

2. PurpleNGold says: Jul 25, 2010 3:24 PM

Bennett also offered some details about how he suffered the injury, saying he was working on “some runway moves” last week at the Cowboys’ Valley Prance facilities when he stepped awkwardly and strained the ankle. “I screamed and dropped my purse, spilling my makeup all over. I remember feeling frightened and I was so sad. But a good cry goes a long way towards relaxing and rehabbing the ankle. I’ll be ready to play, oooo I’m so excited!”

3. prmpft says: Jul 25, 2010 4:03 PM

…but you are not a bigger JACKASS than most people think – & we’re thinkin BIG – REALLY BIG…the BIGGEST!!!

4. Buck Stallion says: Jul 25, 2010 4:52 PM

If you have to tell people your tough…well…you might not be all that tough.

5. C_Schultz says: Jul 25, 2010 7:48 PM

OR
    Perhaps its that the trainers/medical staff want him to stay off it, even though he feels he could play. You know a, “protect your investment” decision.

6. TheRedBengal says: Jul 25, 2010 8:03 PM

C’mon Bennett, quit talking and play. You’re talented enough. Put the “I’m being disrespected” mantra down, and get to work.

7. numberfour says: Jul 25, 2010 8:11 PM

altho he is probly a little tougher than we think. not much. just a little.

8. mannyfresh209 says: Jul 25, 2010 8:36 PM

ok “stallion” lol

9. TexasBubba says: Jul 25, 2010 11:25 PM

Marty B just because you are tough down in the hood doesn’t make you tough by Pro football standards

10. monet99 says: Jul 25, 2010 11:36 PM

Thank you Dallas for taking him instead of Jermichael Finley. Us Packer fans thank you.