Rams expect Bradford to sign before camp

It doesn’t look like the Rams will be making any sort of stand against the runaway spending on top rookie contracts.  They want their quarterback in camp on time.

Rams G.M. Billy Devaney told Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com there is a “really good chance” that a deal will be completed with top overall pick Sam Bradford by Thursday when the team opens training camp.

Bradford is expected to get guaranteed money north of $45 million, which should make the rest of the top-ten picks smile as they line up to slot their money behind Bradford.

An on-time signing will help Bradford in his three-way competition to start with A.J. Feeley and Keith Null.  Yes, Keith Null.

“Nobody wins a job in OTAs and minicamps. That’s with any position,”
Devaney said. “You go to training camp, that’s when the battle begins.
It will be an open competition. I know it sounds crazy, but Keith Null
will be in the mix.”

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
8 Responses to “Rams expect Bradford to sign before camp”
  1. BoltsFan says: Jul 26, 2010 5:24 PM

Nice work, Rams. Are you seriously going to let some kid bend you over before he has ever taken a snap? If you don’t have any talent, at least show some SPINE. This kid may be the next Dan Marino, but he could just as easily be the next Ryan Leaf. Be fair, but please DO NOT cave in to some ridiculous demand by him and his agent.

2. prophet of the light says: Jul 26, 2010 5:28 PM

In other words, if he doesn’t sign before camp, the rams will just give him what he wants?

3. ICEWALKER says: Jul 26, 2010 5:41 PM

If Keith Null gives the Rams their best chance to win, why not him? It doesn’t sound crazy at all.
    I remember listening to the radio with my Dad while we were fishing and Trent Green was placed on IR after he got injured. The Rams had to use some nobody. I thought for sure that season was lost.
    Later that season, Kurt Warner was holding the LOMBARDI Trophy for the St. Louis Rams (in those cool blue and yellow unis!).
    It’s better that Bradford sits for a few games anyway. Put him in at the end of blowouts.

4. azlionsfan says: Jul 26, 2010 5:50 PM

no that doesn’t SOUND crazy, that IS crazy.
    I guess it depends on your definition of “in the mix”. I guess if Jessica Alba, Pamela Anderson and Donovan McNabb’s mom try out for a move, Wilma’s is “in the mix”.
    P.S. yes I compared AJ Feely to Pam Anderson.

5. ICEWALKER says: Jul 26, 2010 6:07 PM

azlionsfan says:
    July 26, 2010 5:50 PM
    no that doesn’t SOUND crazy, that IS crazy.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    Sorry, you lost me after that………..

6. Steeler79 says: Jul 26, 2010 7:27 PM

You know, I saw one Rams game with Keith Null and he actually didn’t look too bad for some low round draft pick out of a school I’d never heard of.
    The GM and head coach are just saying the right things, Bradford is going to be their starting QB in week 1 of the regular season. I bet Feely starts their first preseason game then Bradford takes over for the next two

7. NoHomeTeam says: Jul 26, 2010 7:35 PM

Turnstyle Offensive Line + Fragile Rookie QB + Boatloads of Guaranteed Money = Lots more Dead Money on the books that won’t be going to pay actual players.
    This season can’t start soon enough!

8. FumbleNuts says: Jul 26, 2010 9:11 PM

“I know it sounds crazy, but Keith Null will be in the mix.”
    Sounds kinda Null and Void.