Baltimore columnist to Ed Reed: "No more whining"

Fans have seen a different side to heady Ravens safety Ed Reed over the last week,  one that doesn’t always make a lot of sense.

Reed wants more money, but isn’t sure how long he will play.  He complained about media coverage, but picked on the Ravens for seemingly minor offenses.  Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun has a message for Reed: Zip it.

“[Reed] has spent the past week babbling as if he were a game-show host,” Preston writes.  “It’s
safe to assume that Reed was trying to get publicity for his football
camp and golf tournament because most of his comments were ludicrous,
self-serving and whiny. … Reed is a great player, and no one can question his heart for giving to charity and his passion for the game, but he also is moody and has trouble communicating.”

We suspect this pre-camp media blitz will prove to be a blip on the radar for Reed, but his moodiness could be something to watch should the Ravens season not go as well as the preseason magazines expect.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
14 Responses to “Baltimore columnist to Ed Reed: "No more whining"”
  1. IronCIty says: Jul 27, 2010 2:28 PM

Last year for Reed, Lewis and Mason….better make the most of it B-more

2. ken hawk says: Jul 27, 2010 2:33 PM

Ed Reed FART

3. sasquash69 says: Jul 27, 2010 2:44 PM

Overrated! He gambles to much to be considered one of the best ever. Very good yes, but his numbers are very overrated. Doesn’t hurt with the defense he has in front of him every year.

4. Ray Ray is soft says: Jul 27, 2010 2:55 PM

I’m going put my Ravens hate aside for a minute.First,Mike Preston is an asshole who doesn’t know shit.I understand Ed Reed on this one.Being one of the top safetys in the league,being loyal and the most consistent on the team.Where’s the loyalty?Players get hurt.I say they sit down,talk like men and keep the media out of it,and come to a mutual understanding.While I do find this funny as the Ravens offseason is becoming a media circus.This type of exposure is what’s been killing the Ravens as they fall under the offseason hype.If you want them to be sucessful,stop with “we going to the Superbowl”,”Superbowl or bust”.And another thing.Stay away from radio stations as it causes alot of confusion and words get taken out of context.Reed needs to keep his transgressions in house and Harbaugh as a HC needs to keep his ship in order and bar any player from talking to the media unless after games.As I said when the schedule came out.This is a 7-9 team.

5. 18to88 says: Jul 27, 2010 2:56 PM

I worry when I hear words like, “moody and trouble communicating”.
    I know everyone is sick of the head injury talk, but seriously…it’s a wonder NFL Safeties still know their name after 10 years in the league…

6. NzYme says: Jul 27, 2010 3:01 PM

Hell I’ll take him on the Giants WITH all the whining!

7. Bullet six says: Jul 27, 2010 3:12 PM

Mike Preston is the one who needs to zip it. He’s always saying things about players personally, as if he can hold a candle to any one of them. Not saying that Ed Reed was right for doing and saying what he did, but Mike has no room to tell someone to zip it. Put another burger in your face Preston.

8. Cincinnasty says: Jul 27, 2010 3:36 PM

I think we’re worried the Ravens defense may be impossible to score on this year with all the good news floating around..
    Lardarius Webb and Fabian Washington aren’t good to begin with and now have to rehab knee’s while in training camp…
    Backup Cary Williams is suspended two games
    Other Backup and veteran cornerback Walt Harris reportedly failed conditioning tests along with the highly coveted overweight Rookie second-round pick Terrence “Mount” Cody
    Ed Reed is likely to be out the first six games this year on PUP due to hip surgery..
    Super Bowl favorites? C’mon Son..

9. headrush4you says: Jul 27, 2010 3:45 PM

18to88 says:
    July 27, 2010 2:56 PM
    I worry when I hear words like, “moody and trouble communicating”.
    ————————–
    Just a plain stupid comment.

10. Cincinnasty says: Jul 27, 2010 3:52 PM

Backup Cary Williams is suspended two games
    Super Bowl favorites? C’mon Son..
    ___
    I forgot one more unfortunate situation.. Other highly coveted second round pick Sergio Kindle has a fractured skull from falling down a flight of stairs..

11. football genius says: Jul 27, 2010 5:20 PM

Preston is a piece of shit. I can’t believe he is getting attention on this site… come on training camps

12. nowathand says: Jul 27, 2010 5:29 PM

Go figure, on the first day that the Ravens actually have some real news, PFT is bringing up a non-story. Mike Florio has a self-loathing streak, picking them to win a Super Bowl, then trying to find every non-factor he can to proclaim they are “taking on water”. CHILD PLEASE.
    Most based their Ravens prediction on the growth of Flacco and Rice, the additions of starters Redding and Boldin, the addition of slot receiver Stallworth, the loss of talent in Pittsburgh, and the addition of Cody into the rotation.
    If Florio did the same thing, what does it matter if Troy Smith leaves, Kindle has to be brought along slowly and Ed Reed who they won without last year, misses six games?
    I suppose I’ll have to go to the one-liners to find the real news, like how Anquan looked like he already knew the offense, how Flacco had been showing him meetings, how Arthur Jones was the first one at camp, and Harbaugh’s detailed retelling of Kindle’s account of how he got hurt.
    For the record, Kindle claims he was walking around in the dark after waking up at his friend’s house and took a wrong turn. He does suffer from narcolepsy. It will appear that Carson Palmer, Jake Delhomme and Ben Roethlisberger do, too, after he hits them.
    twitter.com/theqchamber

13. Flab Treesports says: Jul 27, 2010 5:38 PM

Cincinnasty says: July 27, 2010 3:52 PM
    ———————————-
    I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt on Fabian, but you obviously didn’t watch Webb at all last year.

14. Blackn'Gold says: Jul 27, 2010 9:49 PM

I think this is Ed Reed’s swan song. I will surprised if Ed Reed finishes the 2010 season. A few years back he was one of the great ones but injuries have taken their toll. Ed will be out the first 6 weeks and when he comes back he’ll realize that it’s all over. I’m not thrilled when a great player can no longer compete. It lessens the game.
    If anyone doubts Ed Reeds talent, Ben Rothlisberger was asked a couple of years back what he thought of Ed Reed while Steelers were in game with the Ravens.
    His answer,” He’s a monster. I’m always looking for him!”
    GO STEELERS!