Maurice Clarett moves ahead with a second chance at life

Maurice Clarett, the 2005 third-round draft pick of the Denver Broncos who never played a down in the NFL, is going back to college after being released from prison.

Clarett has enrolled as a student at Ohio State, where he was a star running back for one season but became a notorious figure for his fight with the NCAA and his repeated off-field problems.

“This is a surreal feeling to be back at Ohio State in such a supportive environment,” Clarett said in a statement. “I have looked forward to being back in school and I’m doing my best to fit in with other students. I don’t want to be distraction or nuisance to the football team or to students on campus.”

Even though the Broncos cut him before he ever played in a regular-season game, Clarett is a significant figure in NFL history. The league’s stance that players must be three years out of high school before they can play in the NFL was bolstered when Clarett sued the league and lost.

When Clarett finally got his chance at football, he blew it by showing up out of shape and showing a complete disregard for the instruction of the Broncos’ coaching staff, and his life took an ugly turn when he was imprisoned for robbery and weapons charges.

But now Clarett is free and in school again. Although Clarett isn’t eligible to play in the NCAA and almost certainly won’t get another chance at the NFL, at age 26 he’s trying to turn his life around.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
38 Responses to “Maurice Clarett moves ahead with a second chance at life”
  1. Florio-is-a-tool says: Jul 27, 2010 11:22 AM

At least he’s doing better than Vick who, with a lot of spare time on his hands, never thought of using his time to get a degree while waiting to get back in the NFL.
    I do hope he becomes a productive member of society.

2. JimmySmith says: Jul 27, 2010 11:25 AM

Throw a birthday party for yourself, have somebody get shot, that’s the logical next step for getting back into the NFL.

3. holycow says: Jul 27, 2010 11:29 AM

Good luck to him.

4. BlitzburghGator says: Jul 27, 2010 11:32 AM

He’s been a POS up to now, hopefully he means what he says and will become a productive member of society.
    Time will tell…

5. TylerDurden says: Jul 27, 2010 11:36 AM

Just wondering when the first drooling idiot moron will make a reference to Clarett and the Raiders–________________—–Damn, I guess that would be me .

6. answer3 says: Jul 27, 2010 11:38 AM

AFL.

7. DogCollar says: Jul 27, 2010 11:39 AM

I wish him the best. It would be a great story if he was able to come out of this with his degree and becomes a respected member of society. Finishing his education is an important step. Again, I wish him the best.

8. Kris says: Jul 27, 2010 11:39 AM

Interesting turn of events… I wish him luck. He threw away any chance at an NFL career but it seems maybe at least he can be a productive member of society.

9. albaNY Hawker says: Jul 27, 2010 11:40 AM

At least he’s still got that golf tournament trophy named after him, which is nice!

10. AllThat says: Jul 27, 2010 11:43 AM

Get your “Grey Goose” on Maurice. Partying again back at OSU.

11. numberfour says: Jul 27, 2010 11:43 AM

first, jimmy, he needs to run a dogfighting ring and get busted for that too. dont put the cart before the horse.

12. Halasfan says: Jul 27, 2010 11:43 AM

The NFL should have him be a guest speaker for the Rookie Symposium.

13. Slow Joe says: Jul 27, 2010 11:43 AM

If his head really IS on straight, there’s always the UFL, CFL, AFL, etc…

14. FloriosHairspray says: Jul 27, 2010 11:44 AM

Good luck Maurice!
    Now can some one give FloriosHairspray a second chance at life?

15. Enrgy2Burn says: Jul 27, 2010 11:47 AM

Good for him. I hope he gets his life together and realizes that he is getting his 2nd chance and disassociates himself from all the ‘friends’ he had in the past (which, now that he is broke and not in line for NFL stardom, shouldn’t be hard).

16. tian says: Jul 27, 2010 11:51 AM

I’ll bet that going back to Ohio State is like coming back from the Twilight Zone. I mean, going to class, doing the work and not being some BMOC- that must feel really strange.

17. aligreene says: Jul 27, 2010 11:52 AM

good luck ,wish him well

18. Jackson says: Jul 27, 2010 11:54 AM

sounds like the dude is sincere. time will tell. good luck man

19. blmonroe12 says: Jul 27, 2010 12:05 PM

I don’t know if he’s going to finish school, his history would indicate that he won’t, but I give credit to anyone making an attempt.
    I wish him the best in becoming an Ohio State graduate and a contributing member of society. If he turns this around, he can be a great spokesman for the “Don’t let this happen to you” crowd. The kid has a story, a very unique one, and if he could help save a few kids from the same mistake, then it might help him redeem himself.

20. windycitymike says: Jul 27, 2010 12:15 PM

His only chance to play professional football is in cities like Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton , Saskatchewan, etc

21. thedude says: Jul 27, 2010 12:17 PM

Too bad he couldn’t keep it together… that guy was a great running back.

22. Pottsville Maroons = 1925 NFL Champs says: Jul 27, 2010 12:21 PM

If he’s truly reformed, and obtains his degree, that would be a great story. Best of luck to him in the future.

23. Bwa Ha Ha says: Jul 27, 2010 12:26 PM

I’ll give the guy some credit. Good luck and work hard

24. KM91 says: Jul 27, 2010 12:38 PM

Good for him. I hope he gets back and stays on the right track.

25. Jack Burton says: Jul 27, 2010 12:43 PM

Hopefully he will turn it around and be an example the NFL can use.

26. sacdaddy says: Jul 27, 2010 12:45 PM

I thought some guys were out for his head, at least the ones that fronted him all that cash that he could never pay back.. well at least he’s alive still. Best of luck.

27. Roethlisberger's Bitch Tits says: Jul 27, 2010 12:55 PM

I hope he knows that the professors aren’t going to be strong armed by the athletic director to push him through classes now. He is actually going to have to work and pay for it. I’m suprised that a respected University would allow a convicted fellon to enroll. He should transfer to the U, I hear they give out full rides to convicts.

28. Anybodyhome says: Jul 27, 2010 12:56 PM

Sorry, I happen to think that if Vick and a few other clowns can keep a career going in the NFL after some of the crap they pulled, why doesn’t Maurice get another shot?

29. Joe says: Jul 27, 2010 12:59 PM

good for him
    he is lucky to have an oppurtunity to get higher education and should be greatful.

30. tango says: Jul 27, 2010 1:14 PM

I am rooting for him ! Stay clean study hard, work out hard and MAYBE if the heads screwed on straight ,in 2 years give the UFL a shot

31. HandsofSweed says: Jul 27, 2010 1:23 PM

I can’t help but think that Clarett is attending the wrong school now as a student. Getting out of Columbus and totally away from the High Street night life would be a great idea.
    You can obviously still get in trouble at Bowling Green, Kent State, Wright State and Ohio U, but it’s also a lot easier to steer clear of it at those schools as well.
    Hope the guy makes well this time around. But I’d like his chances more if he were at another school.

32. MitchBergerSaysKissTheRingBitch says: Jul 27, 2010 1:24 PM

Good for Maurice. I hope he stays on the right path and is able to turn his life around. So far it seems he’s made the best possible choice he could have made and I hope it works out for him.

33. Passrusher76 says: Jul 27, 2010 1:25 PM

He can change his name to Maurice Vick and he’ll be back in the NFL tomorrow.

34. exit322 says: Jul 27, 2010 1:34 PM

Kidding aside, he’s not going to the AFL. The AFL has no place for a true RB, and he’s just not big enough to be an AFL fullback (I think the average for an AFL FB this year was in the 280-290 range). The CFL would be tough because of work visa issues in Canada (remember, he’s a felon)…the UFL could work, though.
    If he really wanted to play, there are also a myriad of indoor leagues where the rules are different such that you can run the ball, but I doubt he’s going to do something like that – you never know, though.

35. 90ragtop says: Jul 27, 2010 1:39 PM

There are thousands of REAL students who get turned down for admission to Ohio State each year. Why are they letting this moron and felon take one of those spots?

36. tv says: Jul 27, 2010 2:01 PM

Such a nice young man! My bet is he will be back in jail inside a year. Any takers??

37. The Real Shuxion says: Jul 27, 2010 2:07 PM

Hope he can improve his life. This is America, and in America if you work hard you can succeed.

38. funi says: Jul 27, 2010 3:27 PM

Wait until Ocober when he is involed in somethign bad at OSU! A shooting, drugs or givign beer to minors. Once an uneducated punk, always an uneducated punk! AKA Ryan Leaf!!