Report: Jack Tatum dies at 61

200805142334256_1.jpgNotorious Raiders defensive back Jack Tatum, whose hit on Darryl Stingley during a preseason game in 1978 left Stingley a quadraplegic, has died at the age of 61.

According to 10TV.com, Tatum suffered a heart attack.

Tatum suffered from diabetes for years.  He lost all five toes on his left foot, and his right leg was amputated.

The hard-nosed safety’s autobiography was titled They Call Me Assassin.  For the youngsters in the crowd, YouTube will get you up to speed regarding Tatum’s substance, and his style.  (And please wait to see Tatum’s hit on Earl Campbell.  Then stick around to see whether Sammie White’s head was in his helmet while it was rolling around on the field.)

A member of the College Football Hall of Fame, Ohio State presents during the season a “Jack Tatum Hit of the Week” award.

Adored by Raiders fans and generally despised by those who followed every other team, Tatum was a key part of the fabric of the game in the 1970s.  There hasn’t been another Jack Tatum, and there likely never will.

Permalink 135 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
135 Responses to “Report: Jack Tatum dies at 61”
  1. Draft King says: Jul 27, 2010 1:49 PM

I wonder if they will test Tatum’s brain to see if he suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE)?

2. 420fan says: Jul 27, 2010 1:53 PM

RIP Jack. You were a man among men with the raiders and the NFL.

3. Amadeuic says: Jul 27, 2010 1:54 PM

Was he in the car with Terry Bradshaw?

4. mama tried says: Jul 27, 2010 1:55 PM

RIP Jack!!! You will be missed!

5. Donna says: Jul 27, 2010 1:56 PM

Another great warrior of the game has left us. My thoughts and prayers are with his family!
    R.I.P. Mr. Tatum

6. Broncofanman says: Jul 27, 2010 1:56 PM

He gone, this post might surprise you coming from a Bronco fan but the world lost a truly amzing football player today. He was feared during his day and although he was feared because he was a cheap hitting S.O.B he still would clean your clock whether you had the ball or not. In short, he was one of the last remaining players from the time when the Raiders were actually good and we all know that was a long, long time ago..

7. anthony says: Jul 27, 2010 1:58 PM

RIP JACK . THE RAIDER NATION WILL BE IN FULL-SWING THIS YEAR & THIS YEAR IS 4 YOU..
    GO RAIDERS!!! 11-5 IN 2010 – JUST WIN BABY!

8. raybin says: Jul 27, 2010 1:58 PM

Rest in peace, Assassin. If the Nation didn’t already wear black, we would today.
    100% agreement in everything you said, Florio. He was one of a kind.

9. RaiderRedleg says: Jul 27, 2010 1:59 PM

Rest In Peace…Thanks Mr. Florio for posting it in such a respectful manner…You bring up a key point that he was playing in the 1970′s, where a lot of his hits he was famous for would be illegal now. The collision with Earl Campbell was one of the best I have ever seen ever.

10. raidertg says: Jul 27, 2010 2:00 PM

You will be missed but always remembered. Once a Raider always a Raiders!

11. jb10 says: Jul 27, 2010 2:00 PM

it is a sad day for the raider nation. RIP jack.

12. The Real Shuxion says: Jul 27, 2010 2:00 PM

The guy could deliver a hit, no question about that. Legal or not.

13. numberfour says: Jul 27, 2010 2:01 PM

ask darryl stingley what he thinks…
    and… tatum was marshawn before marshawn was marshawn, if u know what i mean…

14. I didn't hear no bell. says: Jul 27, 2010 2:01 PM

15. hehateflorio says: Jul 27, 2010 2:02 PM

Jack Tatum represents everything that made the Raiders one of the most storied franchises in football history. Emphasis on past tense, as they’re no longer relevant.
    Jack’s influence on the game will not be forgotten.
    Respect.

16. Holeinone09 says: Jul 27, 2010 2:04 PM

As a Steeler fan who remembers the very tough rivaly with the Raiders in the 1970′s, I certainly remember Tatum and his style of football. He almost took Lynn Swan’s head off at least one time. While at the time I pretty much despised him primarily because played for the opponent, he was without a doubt one hell of a tough football player. RIP to another legend of the NFL.

17. CJ SPILLER says: Jul 27, 2010 2:05 PM

The guy was truly a beast on the football field………guys like Rodney Harrison are pussi$$ in comparison. Ronnie Lott had a lot of Jack Tatum in him. One of the hardest hitters ever!!

18. Bullet six says: Jul 27, 2010 2:05 PM

Guess karma caught up to him. Never even felt bad about paralyzing Darryl Stingley. He ended up dying due to the injury.

19. Jaxeagle says: Jul 27, 2010 2:06 PM

The most feared safety ever, there hasn’t been a safety since he retired that just destroyed everything he could hit. RIP Assassin.

20. Popeye says: Jul 27, 2010 2:06 PM

He sucked

21. ZN0rseman says: Jul 27, 2010 2:09 PM

Sadly, there are still plenty of glorified cheapshot artists out there.

22. raiderrob21 says: Jul 27, 2010 2:10 PM

The Raider Nation is in Mourning today! A Raider and NFL LEGEND. RIP and God Bless his Family. Your Commitment to Excellence and your Will To Win Will never be forgotten by Raider fans of all ages.
    Raider Nation UNITE!

23. Blackbeard says: Jul 27, 2010 2:11 PM

RIP Jack…
    and Stingley heard bells…and refused to meet with Jack…
    Tatum should be in the Hall of Fame with Guy, Stabler, Branch and Plunkett…and many more…

24. jdg3 says: Jul 27, 2010 2:12 PM

Rest In Peace. You will never be forgotten by the Raider nation.

25. PurpleNGold says: Jul 27, 2010 2:12 PM

RIP Mr. Tatum

26. steeltownpride says: Jul 27, 2010 2:13 PM

RIP Jack ……. May god bless you in Heaven .

27. bejohn2 says: Jul 27, 2010 2:13 PM

>>Tatum never once visited or made amends with Stingley.
    Tatum attempted to visit Stingley in the hospital, but was denied permission by Stingley’s family.
    RIP Jack

28. BleedingSilverAndBlack says: Jul 27, 2010 2:15 PM

The Raider Nation will always remember you and appreciate you. RIP

29. hotchick says: Jul 27, 2010 2:16 PM

Is it that slow a football news cycle that these deaths stand out, and they happen at this rate all year long or are people with football connections dropping like flies?

30. BigMikeSkinsFan says: Jul 27, 2010 2:18 PM

Draft King says:
    July 27, 2010 1:49 PM
    ______________________________
    thats a really good question. I think we will see a lot of players who pass be tested.
    RIP Jack…you were a hard nosed football player and a heck of a DB.

31. rayg says: Jul 27, 2010 2:19 PM

Sadly, Jack Tatum’s style of play is not allowed in today’s game. The entire WCO wouldn’t have happened if D Backs could take WR’s heads off after they caught those dinky passes.

32. RaiderRedleg says: Jul 27, 2010 2:21 PM

@ numberfour & I didn’t hear no bell:
    Give it a rest…He was a human being not a saint….Nobody is perfect in life, but in death you could at least respect that his family and fans will miss him and remember him for his accomplishments in life.

33. FloriosHairspray says: Jul 27, 2010 2:21 PM

Res in paradise Jack. FloriosHairspray respects the legend that is the Assassin.

34. fmax says: Jul 27, 2010 2:21 PM

RIP Mr. Tatum

35. Scourge says: Jul 27, 2010 2:24 PM

Good riddance you head-hunting piece of garbage.

36. hitdog042 says: Jul 27, 2010 2:27 PM

bullet six you are a fool. period. Go back to flipping burgers.

37. RFM says: Jul 27, 2010 2:27 PM

RIP, Assassin! I’ll be wearing your jersey to work the rest of the day.

38. Scourge says: Jul 27, 2010 2:28 PM

The guy grabbed facemasks, led with his helmet, aimed for defensless recievers… yea, what a real hero.
    He’s the reason the NFL fines players and calls 15 yard penatlies.
    He’s a complete piece of crap and I’m glad he’s gone.
    He never even apologized for paralyzing that one player he hit.
    Good riddance. I’m glad he’s dead.

39. jj jones says: Jul 27, 2010 2:30 PM

RIP Tatum

40. milehiclown says: Jul 27, 2010 2:32 PM

@ RaiderRedLeg:
    EXACTLY. Humans ATONE for bad deeds. Tatum did not.

41. Burning River says: Jul 27, 2010 2:33 PM

Was he a great football player? Yes.
    Was he a great man? No.
    I hope that his soul finds the peaceful rest now, that Mr. Tatum couldn’t find for himself during his own lifetime.

42. benh999 says: Jul 27, 2010 2:33 PM

Assassin, what a great name. The guy was a grade-A scumbag who took a lot of pride in leaving a fellow player a quadriplegic, a condition which rendered him unable to survive pneumonia. I’ve never been happy about anyone dying, but Tatum is about as close as it can get for me.

43. RaiderRedleg says: Jul 27, 2010 2:35 PM

@ Scourge says:
    Good riddance you head-hunting piece of garbage.
    ————————————————–
    REAL classy…Did you come up with that all by yourself?

44. U_R_Simple says: Jul 27, 2010 2:38 PM

@ Scourge, Bullet six, I didn’t hear no bell….
    Keyboard warriors…every last one of you. You are definitely the reason abortions were created! G.F.Y
    R.I.P to the ONE and ONLY Assassin

45. robert ethen says: Jul 27, 2010 2:38 PM

In a scene reminiscent of A Christmas Carol, Tatum is visited deep in the night by a ghostly apparition in a wheel chair. “Jaaacckkk…can you change my cholostomy bag…..please….Jaaaaccckkkk…..I caaaannn’t sleep Jaaaaaccckkkk….you have no idea…..Jaaaccckkk…what’s wrong? Jack?….”.

46. TheToolofTools says: Jul 27, 2010 2:38 PM

When you got hit by Jack Tatum, you stayed stuck.

47. G-MEN TO THE SB says: Jul 27, 2010 2:44 PM

R.I.P. Jack Tatum. They dont make them like him anymore.

48. The Real Shuxion says: Jul 27, 2010 2:44 PM

# bejohn2 says: July 27, 2010 2:13 PM
    >>Tatum never once visited or made amends with Stingley.
    RIP Jack
    —————————————————-
    The rumor was it was going to be televised or there was some monetary reason behind it. Not sure if it is true or not.
    Never the less, he just passed away and my condolences go out to his friends and family.

49. U_R_Simple says: Jul 27, 2010 2:44 PM

@ milehiclown
    Your name obviously speaks the truth…nothing but a clown.
    Apparently, you need to do some homework…Tatum attempted to visit Stingley and was denied. Maybe some people need to practice forgiveness a little more. Also, the hit has been reviewed a thousand damn times and was deemed clean back then… genius.
    I would suggest you not talk about things you know nothing about…stick with the Donkeys, lunchbox…you guys are good fit seeing how you both are losers. G.F.Y

50. Tombstone7 says: Jul 27, 2010 2:45 PM

Jack Tatum played the game while it was still a game. I played in college during the years JT was Ohio State and the fact that he was able to strike fear in receivers is a testament to his ferocity to play the game among men. Shame on the hater who said he’s glad JT is dead…no man deserves that crap…..
    I am a Raider fan because the NFL was better when the Raiders were hated! Live on JT!
    The “wussies” like Roy Williams of Dallas would have never would have survived!…..

51. robert ethen says: Jul 27, 2010 2:45 PM

They didn’t call him “Jack Ass” Tatum for nothing.

52. AlDavisIsGod says: Jul 27, 2010 2:45 PM

To Jack Tatum, his family, friends and team mates I give my deepest condolences.
    To those who choose to defame the man, the player and the legacy; I hope every one of you burns in hell for all eternity.

53. Hacksaw says: Jul 27, 2010 2:47 PM

I would rather spend time with the rat droppings behind the stove… My heart goes out to his family.

54. Leroy'sButler says: Jul 27, 2010 2:56 PM

Good football player.
    Human piece of shit.

55. Asswipe Johnson (Pronounced Az-Wee-Pay) says: Jul 27, 2010 2:56 PM

What a warrior Jack Tatum was…he took to task that the game of football was a war on the field in his day.
    This man was the Ronnie Lott of his era. A fierce, fierce hitting machine who will willing to take on anyone. The man fought right up until his last breath…
    All the best to the Tatum family in these difficult times. Jack, you will be missed…

56. ampats says: Jul 27, 2010 2:59 PM

ADIG says,
    I hope every one of you burns in hell for all eternity.
    At least they will get to say hi to Jack Tatum when they get down there.

57. Roger the Dodger says: Jul 27, 2010 3:01 PM

I wasn’t a Raiders fan, and ain’t one now. But I always will be a Jack Tatum fan.
    The man was a Beast. He OWNED the secondary, and woe to any pitiful WR or TE that wandered onto his turf. He played the game hard, like it is supposed to be played.
    Everyone blames the Stingley thing on him, like he meant to paralyze the man. It was a clean hit, and VERY legal in the day. It just caught Stingley wrong. Shit happens; unfortunately, it was pretty serious shit this time.
    Tatum was one of my childhood heroes, along with Biletnikoff, Upshaw, and Shell from those Raider teams. All 4 of them are on my all-lifetime NFL teams.

58. KM91 says: Jul 27, 2010 3:01 PM

Man some of you guys need to calm down. Glad he’s dead? You need to re-evaluate yourselves. Hitting people hard, even in the facemask, was and is a part of the game of football. The same can be said for injuries too, unfortunately.

59. The Real Shuxion says: Jul 27, 2010 3:04 PM

Found the source:

60. sven_ftw says: Jul 27, 2010 3:10 PM

rest in peace, mr. tatum. :(

61. Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam says: Jul 27, 2010 3:11 PM

I had the pleasure of meeting Tatum about 10 years ago at St. Callistus in Richmond, CA, during a Catholic school basketball tournament in which his daughters and my sister were playing. He was an amiable, even humble man for such a legendary figure, and smaller than you’d think for such a big hitter. Requiescat in pace.

62. RaiderRedleg says: Jul 27, 2010 3:14 PM

robert ethen says:
    July 27, 2010 2:38 PM
    In a scene reminiscent of A Christmas Carol, Tatum is visited deep in the night by a ghostly apparition in a wheel chair. “Jaaacckkk…can you change my cholostomy bag…..please….Ja aaaccckkkk…..I caaaannn’t sleep Jaaaaaccckkkk….you have no idea…..Jaaaccckkk. ..what’s wrong? Jack?….”.
    ————————————————–
    What the heck was that post supposed to mean? I guess you are glad they extended unemployment benefits last week so you could keep your internet up and running.
    @ JSpicoli:
    Couldn’t have said it better myself.

63. azlionsfan says: Jul 27, 2010 3:15 PM

every day a buckeye dies is a good one. RIP nut

64. arejay says: Jul 27, 2010 3:15 PM

Rest In Peace Assassin..
    For all those trashing this man in death, you’d have taken him in a heartbeat if he played for your team.
    Win lose or tie Raiders ’til I die

65. TAT2MIA says: Jul 27, 2010 3:17 PM

I personally never got into Jack tatum but my Husband LOVES HIM and idolized him as the best player the RAIDERS ever had! He took other panzy players to school this is what football’s about people! On the behalf of my hubby Raider Recon and my son PBear RIP MR TATUM U WILL ALWAYS BE ONE OF THE GREATEST PLAYERS THIS WORLD WILL EVER KNOW!!!!!

66. Junior says: Jul 27, 2010 3:31 PM

R.I.P. Jack Tatum.
    To the Scourge’s, milehiclown’s and ampats of the world, GFY. Typical pussy Patriot and Donkey fans who know nothing about the history of the NFL. They do nothing but regurgitate crap they’ve heard somewhere else and jump on the bandwagon when their team is winning. Try thinking for yourselves for once. You are all some pathetic excuses for human beings.

67. Los_Raiders says: Jul 27, 2010 3:35 PM

R.I.P. Jack Tatum “The Assassin”…
    The Raider Nation will always be with you as you are with them…

68. SeaSteel says: Jul 27, 2010 3:45 PM

Steeler fan here. Really miss that 70′s rivalry between Raiders & Steelers. Had problems with how Tatum, Atkinson et al played but would never rejoice in the death of a human being because his jersey was the wrong color. Love him or hate him the man was a fixture of a great era in football.

69. smithopher says: Jul 27, 2010 3:48 PM

We need to see more standup quality players like this man. I wanna see another safety come into the league who can hit like this guy. I’m watching some Jack Tatum highlight reels (I’m only 23) and all I can say is DAMN.

70. 1nationraidernation says: Jul 27, 2010 3:54 PM

One of the greatest Raiders ever to play, and my favorite all time Raider. He is what the Autumn Wind is all about. If not for the immaculate reception , Raiders would have had another ring that year with Tatum leading the way.
    The Raiders should wear a 32 this entire year on their uniform.

71. KoolKell says: Jul 27, 2010 3:56 PM

R.I.P Jack Tatum. The One and Only.

72. TheBaySay says: Jul 27, 2010 3:57 PM

I regret that he has died, but am not nearly so sorry as I am for what Stingley has been through because of the hit. Many teams have had Tatum – like headhunters; the Packers had Chuck Cecil. It’s fun to sit in the recliner and go “Ooooo!!” as they launch themselves head-first into guys who don’t even see them coming, but the game is really better for everyone without that tactic.

73. se18a29 says: Jul 27, 2010 3:59 PM

Dirtiest prick to put on a helmet. He paid for it in the end with health issues…

74. RaiderAnt says: Jul 27, 2010 4:02 PM

R.I.P. “Assassin”. May God provide peace and comfort for your loved ones. You will be missed.
    He is my favorite Raider of all time. In high school I wore #32 and played Safety because of him. This is a sad day for the Raider Nation as we lost one of the greats.
    I hope that the young safeties on this year’s Raiders team and teams to come can play with the type of intimidation and tenacity that Tatum played with. Not to injure players but to take command of the middle of the field and ensure that opposing offenses dread playing the Raiders “D” as he did.

75. -Slap- says: Jul 27, 2010 4:02 PM

The Real Shuxion says:
    July 27, 2010 2:44 PM
    # bejohn2 says: July 27, 2010 2:13 PM
    >>Tatum never once visited or made amends with Stingley.
    RIP Jack
    ——————– ——————– ————
    ——————————————————
    Tatum wanted to use the meeting with Stingley to promote another book, further capitalizing on the incident and his reputation. Stingley was disgusted by this and he refused to meet with him.
    Tatum took more than his share of cheap shots, but, unlike many DBs with reputations as hitters, he didn’t specialize in lighting up stretched out WRs. He would go hat to hat with the baddest running backs in the NFL. Guys Like Tatum, Dennis Smith, Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater never backed down from anybody. They really don’t make them like that anymore.

76. RumorHater says: Jul 27, 2010 4:02 PM

Scrouge, your parents raised you as a piece of turd – may you continue to live in pain and misery.

77. marktg30 says: Jul 27, 2010 4:03 PM

Hope your still laying the smack down in Heaven Jack.
    You were a true football player.

78. BrokenBallz says: Jul 27, 2010 4:03 PM

RIP Assassin, you were truly something else in the world of professional tackle football. You will be missed…..

79. 909RaiderLifer says: Jul 27, 2010 4:03 PM

RIP Mr. Tatum.
    I had the honor of meeting Jack at a charity event, held by former Raiders, for former Raiders who needed help with medical expenses back in 2004.
    I recall him to be very humble and soft spoken, during the few moments I was able to talk with him.
    My condolences to the Tatum family.

80. RaiderRedleg says: Jul 27, 2010 4:05 PM

The Raiders released the following statement on the death of safety Jack Tatum:
    We are deeply saddened by the news of Jack Tatum’s passing. Jack was a true Raider champion and a true Raider warrior.
    He was a great player and person and has been a big part of our lives since we drafted him in 1971 as a first round pick out of Ohio State. Jack was the standard bearer and an inspiration for the position of safety throughout college and professional football. Our thoughts, prayers and well wishes go out to his wife Denise and family.

81. Kevin from Philly says: Jul 27, 2010 4:06 PM

Holy cow – did Samuel L. Jackson steal the look for Jules Winfield from Tatum’s 1976 interview, or what? Half expected him to go into the “You will know my name is the Lord, when I lay my vengence upon you” speech.

82. assasin says: Jul 27, 2010 4:15 PM

you rat-bastatrds that dont want to give the man his due really suck. some of us remember the game when it was a real game. yeah he hit hard and yes sometimes there was a cheap shot in there but he and others have us watching today this very day. stingley stated some years ago that he never hated jack for the hit because it was what the game called for during that time. yes the game has changed for the better but that was FOOTBALL. rest in peace friend, YOU will be missed

83. Legend says: Jul 27, 2010 4:23 PM

A polarizing character – I loved him for his freewheeling, hard-hitting, scientific, fear-inducing approach to the game and the art of tackling. He played within the letter of the rules yet far beyond the spirit of them – so it’s no wonder Raider fans loved him and the rest of the world hated him. He clearly mishandled the publicity battle after the legal, but excessive, hit on Stingley in a pre-season game, and I believe it was an odd mixture of justification and guilt that kept him from freely, openly sympathizing and apologizing to Darryl. He embodied the “assassain” character and allowed it to define him.
    Hardest hitting player to ever wear a helmet who never bit another player (sorry Dick Butkus) but a conflicted and often misunderstood human being. RIP Jack Tatum.

84. 1nationraidernation says: Jul 27, 2010 4:24 PM

# 6 on the list…what a crock….most feared, just wondering who knocked out the most players..and I mean that in the literal sense…I know Tatum ko’ed several playes out cold.

85. hotchick says: Jul 27, 2010 4:27 PM

No one here is trashing the man’s death. They are trashing his life.
    A person does not attain sainthood for dying. If he lived as a scumbag and dies as one, the correct thing to do is to identify the man as such. We should not glorify any man simply because he died. That is not how you show respect.
    That just disrespects the men who deserve a tribute at their death.
    Based on the comments here it appears those that support him do so for two reasons, because he is dead or because they are Raider fans. I wonder how many of them actually were Raider fans during his playing days.
    Those that condemn him do so based on the man’s actions as a person both on and off the field. Dying or being a Raider do not measure the quality of a man. One is something that we all will do, the other is a random event where as if you were not a Raider fan you would likily be on the other side of the fence.
    Taking pleasure in playing with disregard for your opponent IS a measure or a man. Not a good one. Being someone who stays away from the man your hit paralyed until you reach a point where the family says “stay away, its too late.” is a measure of a man. Again not a good one.
    So get real with the “You will be missed” comments. Nice platitude. But as you claim you will miss him, look in the mirror and pretend you even cared or knew enough about the man to know he was diabetic, and had lost a limb and toes. I’d bet 90% of those that will “miss him” didn’t know this.

86. Bradwins says: Jul 27, 2010 4:27 PM

Good. Happy to hear it. He lived 32 years too long. If there were a God he would have struck Tatum down after what he did to Stingley. A true P.O.S. if there ever was one.

87. lionstigersbears says: Jul 27, 2010 4:32 PM

All you “raderz til I die!!!!!” idiots epitomize why your fanchise is despised.
    Tatum was a mercenary, out for only himself. A street thug. If it wasn’t for football he’d have been a pimp.
    Lowest form of scum.
    And I’m old enough to have actually watched him play, unlike a lot of you.

88. The Real Shuxion says: Jul 27, 2010 4:35 PM

——————————————————
    And yet Tatum never would at least talk to Stingley unless it involved money.
    Even if it wasn’t on purpose you think a good person would at least speak to the man injured and not celebrate ending a mans career like Tatum did.
    I will not disrespect the dead but Tatum was NO SAINT.

89. Rob0729 says: Jul 27, 2010 4:36 PM

Best news I have heard all day. Too much of coward to apologize to Stingley until he was going to sell a book and a TV show. Couldn’t apologize to him for years until he could get cameras to come with him to Stingley’s door. Way too little, way too late. The world is a better place today.

90. marcelino says: Jul 27, 2010 4:40 PM

No judgement, I never met or knew the man. All I know is how he played the game, and he is a Football immortal. Prick or saint, just a human highlight film from beginning to end. RIP..

91. joetoronto says: Jul 27, 2010 4:48 PM

Condolences to the family, one of the true greats has left us.
    All these jokers making childish comments know nothing of what they speak.

92. Big Tex says: Jul 27, 2010 4:52 PM

@Blackbeard
    Jim Plunkett has no business in the HoF.

93. svanablak says: Jul 27, 2010 4:53 PM

he was the best safety in the nfl during the 70s! remember that defensive backfield for the raiders: willie brown, jack tatum, skip”dr. death”thomas & george atkinson! to any wr who ran a route against them had to feel like he was running into a dungeon!
    i always felt like sean taylor was the second coming of tatum unfortunately his life was cut short.
    he was VERY humble and remorseful for crippling stingley. for YEARS he tried to make amends but stingley and his family FLAT OUT REFUSED!
    r.i.p. mr. tatum

94. raidernut75 says: Jul 27, 2010 4:55 PM

R.I.P. Jack you were one of a kind and there will never be another like you again.

95. Rob0729 says: Jul 27, 2010 4:56 PM

From Darryl Stingley from when Jack Tatum tried to manipulate an on the air apology on CBS to promote his book:
    “I told him if they showed up at my door without a camera then we could have some real healing,” Stingley said. “This is a world built on hype. Selling newspapers. TV ratings. Those are real. But in my world what’s important is to have a forgiving nature. I was always ready for reconciliation with Jack Tatum. I was willing to do it once before until we learned at the final hour that it was about selling a new book. That changed my mind. I could not allow anybody to capitalize on my situation any more.
    “I could not understand why a person would still take that approach so many years later. How could he try to take advantage of the situation again? How could he not feel serious regret or remorse for what happened?
    “If he called me today, I’d answer. If he came to my house, I’d open my door to him. All I ever wanted was for him to acknowledge me as a human being. I just wanted to hear from him if he felt sorry or not. It’s not like I’m unreachable. But it’s not a phone call I’ll be waiting for anymore.”
    Unfortunately, Tatum wasn’t man enough to take Stingley up on his offer.

96. JesseJames says: Jul 27, 2010 5:03 PM

Too bad it wasn’t Al instead.

97. INVAIDUH says: Jul 27, 2010 5:07 PM

rules were changed because of him and his hits were legal in his time…
    GFY bell and ANY other hater.
    everything jspicoli says is correct.
    RIP Jack. F#@K ALL HATERS.

98. RaiderRedleg says: Jul 27, 2010 5:16 PM

hotchick says:
    July 27, 2010 4:27 PM
    No one here is trashing the man’s death. They are trashing his life.
    ————————————————–
    Since I doubt you personally know Jack Tatum I would tell you and all you idiots to lay off posting all these “insightful” comments about a HUMAN BEING that recently passed away (leaving a wife and three childern) to CHILL OUT with “trashing” the man.
    You and all the other FOOLS out there shooting off you mouth need to just RELAX.
    Sadly Tatum and Stingley never reconciled it would have been a great end to both their stories…But that’s life, full of regrets, sin, and then death. All the rest of us can do is either praise the man or if you hated him, STFU and silently pray that God forgives him.
    NO ONE IS PERFECT SO GET OVER IT…You either loved or hated how Jack Tatum played and what his image meant to the game…None of your hate spewing/physcobabble postings is going to change my or anyone else’s mind about him.

99. RaiderRedleg says: Jul 27, 2010 5:27 PM

Big Tex says:
    July 27, 2010 4:52 PM
    @Blackbeard
    Jim Plunkett has no business in the HoF.
    ————————————————–
    So does Ricky Jackson have any business being in the HOF then in your opinion?
    Ray Guy (okay Punters will never get in the HOF), Cliff Branch, and Jim Plunkett did what they were supposed to do WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS…Sadly they played for a “bad boy” franchise that rubs everyone that isn’t a Raider fan the wrong way.
    Sorry Big Tex…Usually don’t have a bone to pick with you on your posts, but that one just didn’t make any sense…Plunkett most likely won’t ever get in the HOF, but he definitely did finish his career in HOF type fashion (two Super Bowl wins) and a strong arguement on his behalf could be made for SURE.
    However I would make a bigger push for Cliff Branch…He played on three Super Bowl winning teams and his career as a vertical threat changed the way the game was played. If Chris Carter gets in and Cliff Branch never does THAT will be as crime.

100. riscifiguy says: Jul 27, 2010 5:30 PM

When you have nothing good to say….
    RIP: Darryl Stingley

101. INVAIDUH says: Jul 27, 2010 5:30 PM

@ big tex. You’re WRONG puppy.

102. Doglover says: Jul 27, 2010 5:30 PM

I am from the Bay Area and was privileged to watch Jack Tatum play. He was indeed a great football player and a great RAIDER!
    I believe now is not the time to philosophize about Jack’s life; I am sure that none of you sharp-tongued spewers are perfect, either.
    Jack brought excitement to the game; the mold was broken after Jack. I would have cherished the moment if Terrell Owens had gotten a taste of the likes of Jack Tatum; perhaps would not shoot off his mouth much.
    RIP Jack, we will miss you. RAIDER Nation Commitment to Excellence. Just win, baby, win!

103. sandiego1969 says: Jul 27, 2010 5:32 PM

Jack was brain dead when he left Ohio State. It’s a requirement for graduation.

104. Pervy *Harvin says: Jul 27, 2010 5:36 PM

I would never piss on a dead man that I didn’t know personally. I do know that he hit hard and knocked the f@ck out of you…I like that. RIP

105. Ray Guy says: Jul 27, 2010 5:39 PM

“# joetoronto says: July 27, 2010 4:48 PM
    Condolences to the family, one of the true greats has left us.
    All these jokers making childish comments know nothing of what they speak.”
    _____________________________________
    So true. He was a humble man and YES I watched him play many Sundays.
    I was at the game when Stingley was hit. The play and tackle were nothing out of the ordinary. It was played like the football of its day. Nobody was happy in the Coliseum to see Stingley motionless on the field. It was very somber. And for the revisionists that seem to think Tatum didn’t try to see Stingley, don’t believe what I say, read what John Madden had to say about it. Maybe you’ll believe him. Most of you are too lazy to find out.
    The best tackle Jack ever made in my view was the one nobody remembers. Jack played in the college all star game vs. the Baltimore Colts (back when they actually held this game and back when the Colts actually were in Baltimore). John Mackey, the Colts all pro tight end caught a pass and met Jack for the first time. The hit was head on and Mackey went backwards onto his rear end. Amazing tackle. Jack started his NFL reputation as a hard hitter right then.
    Did he give cheap shots? Yep. Did most players back then give cheap shots? yep.
    These jokesters here don’t think Jack Lambert, Butkus, Mike Curtis, etc. didn’t “cheap shot” are blind. They need to go back and review 60′s-70′s football and how it was played before they yap on about rumor and what their daddy’s told them.
    Jack was a football player. He played the game all out and then some. I for one won’t forget him.

106. bigtrav425 says: Jul 27, 2010 5:48 PM

Why should he of Apologized? its a mans game and people know what they are getting into when they play it.It was sad that Stingley got Paralyzed.But in no way shaoe or form did he NEED to apologize! that stuff is part of the game and Tatum was man enough to understand that…..He was a great football player and is what ALL LB should want to be…Altho the Nazi’s and Wussies of the NFL nowadays wouldnt allow it……RIP Jack!

107. Patrick says: Jul 27, 2010 5:57 PM

R.I.P Jack Tatum…One of the Alltime best…

108. Florio_Jr. says: Jul 27, 2010 5:58 PM

From a diehard Broncos fan, I pass my condolances to the Raiders, and his family. Most intimidating player or at least in the top I’ve seen.

109. frobaggins says: Jul 27, 2010 5:59 PM

any raider fan out there…
    what would you think if rodney harrison lit up a defenseless tim brown coming across the middle and paralyzing him during a preseason game?
    yeah thats what i thought. pussies.

110. frobaggins says: Jul 27, 2010 6:05 PM

bigtrav,
    you know how i know you’re illiterate? cause you said all LB’s should want to play like him. tatum played defensive back. so if you’re gonna be an insensitive and total prick, at least know what you’re talking about. or learn how to read. i feel bad your parents if this is your actual opinion.

111. KoolKell says: Jul 27, 2010 6:13 PM

I never saw Jack Tatum as dirty. He just ran into people at full speed. When is knocking people’s heads off a sin for a NFL Safety?
    Dude made Earl Campbell whimper.
    Darryl Stingley’s hit came in pre-season………so what? Unfortunate, tragic, yes.

112. funi says: Jul 27, 2010 6:19 PM

He was a piece of crap alive and a piece of crap dead! Hope Stingley’s family pisses on his grave and give him the send off he deserves!

113. Crazy Nick says: Jul 27, 2010 6:19 PM

I wish he would have suffered longer.

114. Ray Guy says: Jul 27, 2010 6:24 PM

“# frobaggins says: July 27, 2010 6:05 PM
    bigtrav,
    _____________________________________
    Perhaps if YOU weren’t so illiterate, you would “C”apitalize the beginning of your sentences.
    Did you know that Tatum started out playing linebacker at Ohio State? He would sneak over to defense (he was recruited as a running back) and jump in with the linebackers in practice. Lou Holtz made him a DB but also used him at linebacker.
    Perhaps you should think before you write. Your parents might be disappointed in you.
    Now go back to your sand box.

115. RaiderRedleg says: Jul 27, 2010 6:31 PM

frobaggins says:
    July 27, 2010 5:59 PM
    any raider fan out there…
    ————————————————–
    Great now with the “what ifs” and hypotheticals from the Haters.
    FaggoFaggins…To answer your insightful “what if”…I guess we could whine, cry, and b*tch like you P*SSY.

116. DirtDawg55 says: Jul 27, 2010 6:33 PM

Not a Raiders fan and could care less if the entire roster dropped dead in front of me, but people need to get their story straight with respect to Tatum.
    One, his hit on Stingley was not a cheap shot and not illegal even by today’s standards.
    Two, he did try to apologize but was denied the opportunity on more than one occasion.
    Three, he was sorry. In fact he is on record as saying he is sorry. “I feel sorry for what happened to him,” said Tatum,” (quote from jason Cole, Yahoo Sports article, 2007). However, he said repeatedly he would not apologize for how he played. That’s different.
    Four, he did what all great players were taught to do – hit through your man. That was drilled into me when I played in the early 1980′s. Hit through your man. Hit through your man. He was one of the very best.
    Five, he played in an era where every great player played like that. He stands out because he was great, not because he was dirtier than anyone else at the time.
    Too many people come on here and pop off and have no clue what they are talking about. I certainly like the jabs people give and I don’t mind the “haters” stirring it up, but I do shake my head at the sheer stupidity of some of the posters. They make no attempt to even understand the underlying issues or even the fundamental issue. They read. They react. Ironically, just like Tatum did. Except he did it with purpose. Posters here do it because they are bored and stupid.
    From this Steelers fan to Raiders fans and Tatum fans everywhere – I say “RIP, Mr. Tatum. You were one of the greats.”
    Of course, glad that whole Immaculate Reception thing worked out in our favor!

117. RaiderRedleg says: Jul 27, 2010 6:41 PM

frobaggins says:
    July 27, 2010 6:05 PM
    bigtrav,
    ————————————————–
    How does screwing up his position on his posting make him an insensitive and total prick?
    BTW…Why bring bigtrav’s parents into it…Isn’t that a little “insensitive” towards his parents…YOU PRICK.
    Mr. Florio…Sorry couldn’t resist.

118. RaiderRedleg says: Jul 27, 2010 6:44 PM

funi says:
    July 27, 2010 6:19 PM
    ————————————————–
    Hey Fungi…I am sure Stingley’s family has more class than to do that…Too bad you don’t.

119. Los_Raiders says: Jul 27, 2010 6:52 PM

It seems even during a Raider death there has to be Haters around…
    Football is a contact sport, if you don’t want to risk getting injured then get off the field, plain and simple… That could have happened to anyone… It’s not Tatum’s fault he played the game he loved with true passion…
    Besides, he tried to apologize, someone just couldn’t get it through their head that it was an accident so they turned him away…
    Like I said, football is a contact sport and it was a different style of play back in the day… I’m surprised it didn’t happen more often during the 70′s…

120. Big Tex says: Jul 27, 2010 7:08 PM

@RaiderRedleg and INVAIDUH
    Regarding Plunkett:
    Years in the league; 15
    Winning seasons; 4
    All Pro teams; 0
    Pro Bowl teams; 0
    Winning percentage; 50%
    TDs/INTs; 164/198
    QB rating; 67.5
    Career QB ranking; 166th place
    Sorry, but a couple of good years with the Raiders doesn’t outweigh so many mediocre stats. How can a guy who played 15 seasons and yet never even made a Pro Bowl be considered one of the all time greats?

121. 1nationraidernation says: Jul 27, 2010 7:20 PM

big tex, once and for all stfu

122. comment_submission_error says: Jul 27, 2010 7:43 PM

Some of these comments are amazing. Has death not touched your lives yet? Anyway, some of you are confused. Tatum wasn’t that dirty, and didn’t feast on defenseless receivers. He hit anything that moved. George Atkinson was dirty, though. He was almost as cheap as Bill Romanowski. Isn’t that right, milehighassclown?
    Rest easy, Jack, and screw these clowns.

123. 12312 says: Jul 27, 2010 7:44 PM

So often, hype obscures what’s truly remarkable. Yes, that hit on Sammie White in the Super Bowl was hellacious, but does anyone ever remember what was truly remarkable? Sammie White held on to the ball for a catch. No, I’m not a Vikings fan by the way…..

124. radar says: Jul 27, 2010 8:17 PM

Tatum got what he deserved!!!…The hit on Stingley was the cheapest shot in the history of the NFL, and he did not even have the guts to call Stingley and apologize???…I wish Tatum had croaked sooner…the stupid ****** bastard!!!

125. radar says: Jul 27, 2010 8:21 PM

A typical low life Raider of the 70′s…..I hope Al Davis burns in hell with that dumb ******

126. Shanahan's Rat Teeth says: Jul 27, 2010 8:21 PM

frobaggins:
    You know how I know that you’re an idiot? Because you are making fun of someone for being illiterate after he stated LB’s should want to play like Tatum. He NEVER wrote that Tatum was a LB and even if he did, that has NOTHING to do with being unable to read or write. Obviously, you’re not exactly a poster boy for literacy yourself.
    Also, if you’re going to clown someone for being illiterate and don’t want to make a fool of yourself instead, try using proper capitalization, punctuation and grammar in sentences like the following:
    “so if you’re gonna be an insensitive and total prick…’
    “i feel bad your parents if this is your actual opinion…”
    “yeah thats what i thought.”
    However, I must say that you sure sound tough with your name-calling and talking down to people from behind a keyboard. Nothing says “intimidating,” like asking a pointless question and immediately following it with “yeah thats what i thought. pussies.” before a single response has been given.
    If Jack Tatum was “The Assassin” on the field, then you are undoubtedly “The Assassin” of cyberspace. When the time comes for you to actually talk to a female, I am sure she’ll be impressed.

127. beaverdam says: Jul 27, 2010 8:37 PM

Brief personal story – I grew up idolizing Johnny Unitas (still do) but couldn’t abide the Colts sneaking out of Baltimore so had to find somebody else to go for. I was very impressed with Jim Plunkett – cut by the Patriots, didn’t complain, kept working, cut by the 49ers, didn’t complain, kept working his butt off, was given another chance by the Raiders, and led them to 2 great Super Bowls. Have stuck with the Raiders 30 odd years now, and up year or down year it’s been a lot of fun. I may be wrong but I don’t think you’d find the same outpouring of support from other organizations’ fans on the passing of somebody who played so long ago. And the man said it right – all those who talk bad about Tatum would pick him for their team any day of the week. Raiders 10-6, Donkeys 6-10.

128. Big Tex says: Jul 27, 2010 9:02 PM

@1nationraidernation
    What a well thought out response to my post. I’m sure we have seen the zenith of your reasoning powers.

129. chadrewski says: Jul 27, 2010 9:31 PM

Florio, well written tribute. Quite a departure from your usual National Enquirer sports fodder. This is to all the ignorant people that have no clue to what they are talking about. Jack Tatum was not a dirty player, he played the game with a chip on his shoulder, they way it should be played. His hits were clean, even if they jarred loose the fillings in a WR’s teeth. Tatum attempted to visit Stingley and was turned away. Tatum always regreted what happend to Stingley, but his hit was clean and he had nothing to apologize for. Stingley should have directed his anger at Steve Grogan who hung him out to dry over the middle with a high pass. Jack was part of an era where players played hard between the lines, between the wistles, not just during contract years. He was a member of one of the great defensive secondary’s in NFL history and will be missed.
    Rest in peace Jack, you played the game the way it was meant to be played.

130. EverybodyGotsAIDS says: Jul 27, 2010 10:07 PM

I didn’t hear no bell. says:
    “Tatum never once visited or made amends with Stingley. Rot in hell you piece of &hit.”
    Nice post. Classy. It’s posts like this that remind me why I visit this site less and less.
    For the record, Tataum attempted to visit Stingley but his family turned him away.
    Good riddence, PFT. Clean up you act, your posters have no integrity and it is a poor reflection on you, Mr. Florio.
    R.I.P. Jack

131. EverybodyGotsAIDS says: Jul 27, 2010 10:22 PM

Richm2256 says:
    “The only tragedy is that Tatum himself didn’t end up spending twenty years in a wheelchair himself.”
    I guess you didn’t know that Jack lost one of his legs last year due to diabetes. So you can find some sort of justice in your twisted mind with that, my freind.

132. paturk2103 says: Jul 27, 2010 11:42 PM

From the todays Oakland Tribune:
    “It could have happened to anybody,” said Tatum. “People are always saying, ‘He didn’t apologize.’ I don’t think I did anything wrong that I need to apologize for. It was a clean hit.”

133. dennis kasgnoc says: Jul 28, 2010 12:20 PM

the oakland raiders need to have a moment of silence before their first home game in memory of jack this year.

134. Blk&SlvrSoldier says: Jul 28, 2010 1:28 PM

RIP Mr. Tatum. You were a great Raider and will be sadly missed…

135. dyulyur says: Jul 30, 2010 5:06 AM

It’s a terrible tragedy that Jack Tatum has passed away. You can help remember him by contributing to his memorial website at http://jacktatum.people2remember.com/