Rams rookie Mardy Gilyard will do whatever the veterans ask

Rams rookie wide receiver Mardy Gilyard is no Dez Bryant.

Days after Bryant caused a controversy in Dallas by declining to carry the pads of veteran Cowboys receiver Roy Williams, Gilyard said today that he views himself as the low man on the totem pole and is willing to do whatever the veterans tell him to do.

“I’m willing to carry the [veterans'] helmets, the shoulder pads, lace their shoes up, serve the Gatorade, fix their dinners, brush their hair,” Gilyard said, per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Gilyard said he learned his lesson about hazing in his first year at the University of Cincinnati, when the older players made it clear to him that there’s a hierarchy on a football team by taping him to the goal posts and spraying him with a hose.

“Whatever it is, Mardy’s not going to be that guy that says, ‘I’m not going to do that,’” Gilyard said, already talking about himself in the third person like a seasoned pro. “Because I didn’t do it [in college]. I was a knucklehead; I was real cocky and arrogant. And I got jumped by the older guys.”

I’m not sure how good it is for team morale to have young players think they’ll get “jumped by the older guys” if they don’t fall in line. But that’s the reality on many football teams. And unlike Bryant, Gilyard isn’t one to challenge the system.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams
21 Responses to “Rams rookie Mardy Gilyard will do whatever the veterans ask”
  1. robert ethen says: Jul 29, 2010 4:16 PM

“And that was college”, shuddered Mardy, thinking about the experience. “This is the next level”.

2. goetta-head says: Jul 29, 2010 4:17 PM

Gilyard is the man! And I hope him the best in St Louis. Go Cincy!

3. NoKoolaidCowboy says: Jul 29, 2010 4:18 PM

Keep in mind, this none of our business. Players know the value of hazing, it’s just something that civilians don’t get.
    Some guys get hazed in sports, college and even in the military. If it doesn’t go too far (obviously), it creates a camaraderie.

4. Randy Inman says: Jul 29, 2010 4:27 PM

I want video of him brushing hair.

5. Shinywalrus says: Jul 29, 2010 4:30 PM

I thought silly things like “carrying pads” and hazing were important and built comaraderie too.
    Shortly thereafter, I celebrated my 11th birthday. I think it was Chuck-E-Cheese. Or maybe Discovery Zone.
    Seriously. This is the business world. Millions of dollars are being exchanged. Grow up.

6. Steeler79 says: Jul 29, 2010 4:38 PM

I don’t think there’s anyone with more character and resolve in the whole 2010 draft then Gilyard.
    I think he’ll be great in the NFL. Good hands, elite agility, not elite speed but he’s fast enough

7. cool_hand_luke says: Jul 29, 2010 4:45 PM

(cough)NCAA violation(cough)

8. D.R.Universal says: Jul 29, 2010 4:45 PM

@Shiny…im also guessing you NEVER played sports either?? Doesnt sound like it..

9. 49erJohnny says: Jul 29, 2010 4:51 PM

Mardy Gilyard is also far less talented than Dez Bryant. He’s just glad to be there. Mardy is probably so shell shocked from getting mugged that he’s afraid to stand up to anyone. I bet he would live in his car if the veterans told him too. Oh wait he already did.

10. Steeler79 says: Jul 29, 2010 5:07 PM

@49erJohnny, you are a dirt bag.

11. packmanncsu says: Jul 29, 2010 5:08 PM

Let’s also not forget that the guy Dez Bryant was specifically drafted to replace is the guy who was trying to haze him.

12. shibacle says: Jul 29, 2010 5:21 PM

looks like Danny Amendola has a new biatch!

13. edgy says: Jul 29, 2010 5:22 PM

If Dez were to talk about himself in the third person, you know that PFT would be mocking him but apparently, that’s not going to be the case with Mardy….

14. garrettmustgo says: Jul 29, 2010 5:34 PM

This is why this situation is still being talked about, We got teams in training camp now so many other bigger issues ie. Godboy wanting more $$$ , but leave it to PFT to keep the hate train rolling on the cowboys

15. big log says: Jul 29, 2010 5:37 PM

They should ask Mardy not to speak in the third person.

16. steelerfan9598 says: Jul 29, 2010 5:39 PM

“Mardy is probably so shell shocked from getting mugged that he’s afraid to stand up to anyone. I bet he would live in his car if the veterans told him too. Oh wait he already did. ”
    Too bad he doesn’t have your dream of a life and had to work his way to playing professional football. I, for one, will be rooting for the dude.

17. Howie Handles says: Jul 29, 2010 5:56 PM

“# Randy Inman says: July 29, 2010 4:27 PM
    I want video of him brushing hair.”
    lol. If I was a vet on that team, I’m make him eat (brush) his words. Post in on Youtube too.
    @49erJohnny …he may have been down on his lucky, but within a few years, he’ll earn more than you will in your lifetime.

18. msbnocal says: Jul 29, 2010 6:39 PM

Hazing is part of the game, I’m no NFL player but went through it in college even High School….Dez B. know’s what it is, he already is a pre madonna and Jerry Jones most likely has made his head swell bigger than already is….I hope Rolle knock thie young arrogant **** out !!!
    Down go the Cow Girls !!!
    Return of the G-Men in ’10

19. Nard100 says: Jul 29, 2010 6:57 PM

How is this different that a running back who buys watches for his O-line? He doesn’t do it because he has to, h does it because he knows what side his bread is buttered on. Dez doesn’t get it. For him to be successful in this league he needs the help of number of other people on his team. Carrying his teammates pads is an acknowledgment of that fact. He does that for a week or 2, what’s the big deal?

20. sasquash69 says: Jul 29, 2010 7:38 PM

Gilyard was a stud in college. Receiving , punt and kickoff return, Mardy did it all. Don’t sell this guy short. Dez Bryant has all the talent in the world but he is a selfish, self centered loser. Reminds me of another WR or two named Moss and Owens. Last time I checked they never won nothing. Good luck Mardy.

21. texasPHINSfan says: Jul 30, 2010 12:13 PM

Kudos to Gilyard. Respect the system.
    I like this guy much more than Bryant.