Have no fear, Ben: Steelers fans still love you

B. Roethlisberger6.jpgBen Roethlisberger admitted on Friday to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the quarterback “got scared” on his drive to training camp, wondering how Steelers fans would greet him.

“I guess that is what makes you human, if you are scared, and that is what my dad told me,” Roethlisberger said.

It turns out he didn’t need to worry.

Roethlisberger was greeted by “huge cheers” as he walked to practice on Saturday.  “People went bananas as he walked to practice. No dissent among these fans,” Judy Battista of the New York Times wrote on Twitter.  Women were screaming for him just like the men.”

The audience at the first day of training camp includes the most diehard, loyal Steelers fans possible.  But we do think the warm reception will be a sign of things to come in Pittsburgh.

No matter what Steelers fans felt in April, soon there will be games to win.  Roethlisberger is one of their own.

UPDATE: Not every Steelers fan is so excited.

Permalink 94 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
94 Responses to “Have no fear, Ben: Steelers fans still love you”
  1. Fike Mlorio says: Jul 31, 2010 3:56 PM

“Roethlisberger is one of their own.”
    Good to see media acknowledging Pittsburgh as a city full of miscreants and sexual deviants.

2. Bill.Polian says: Jul 31, 2010 3:59 PM

3. Burning River says: Jul 31, 2010 3:59 PM

Yep…in Pittsburgh, the women love their men and the men love their men.
    What a happy story! La la la la la la la……

4. Huckle says: Jul 31, 2010 4:00 PM

If I ever find myself wanted for rape, I know exactly where I’m hiding.

5. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Jul 31, 2010 4:01 PM

“Women were screaming for him just like the men….”
    “… to dismount them.”

6. Huckle says: Jul 31, 2010 4:03 PM

7. Slow Joe says: Jul 31, 2010 4:03 PM

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

8. raiderrob21 says: Jul 31, 2010 4:08 PM

“I guess that is what makes you human, if you are scared, and that is what my dad told me,” Roethlisberger said…………
    NO BEN! You got it all wrong! What makes you human is not taking advantage, and sexually abusing women! Also when a woman says NO! That means NO BEN!

9. PainTrain49 says: Jul 31, 2010 4:11 PM

Nice non story.

10. nflqb says: Jul 31, 2010 4:12 PM

As I said in April, It will be like nothing happened by week 6. You people were acting like he was a charged and convicted murderer.
    It was interesting to read this site everyday and see how the writers turned the small mob of the same 20-30 posters along with the 10 callers on espn radio (the drive with Paulsen and Logan) into a 5 million man mob that was against Ben, when in reality it was just a few message board die hards and a handful of talk show callers.

11. JimmySmith says: Jul 31, 2010 4:12 PM

Speaks volumes about the state of the Fixsburgh Stealers fan base. If they love him so much, it makes you wonder why he walks around with his Johnson hanging out of his pants in college bars in GA?
    Like the song says, Looking for Love in all the Wrong Places.

12. OJ SIMPSON says: Jul 31, 2010 4:20 PM

If you win 2 Superb Owls you are automatically allocated 3 free rapes

13. Deel says: Jul 31, 2010 4:26 PM

Gee what a shock that fans that would show up to training camp wouldn’t give a lick about the indiscretions of players.

14. Burning River says: Jul 31, 2010 4:31 PM

nflqb says:
    “As I said in April, It will be like nothing happened by week 6.”
    ————-
    You were wrong then…and you are wrong now. The shit has yet to hit the fan…

15. robert ethen says: Jul 31, 2010 4:34 PM

Being scared makes you human. Like a 125 pound girl cornered in a small room by a man twice her size.

16. august says: Jul 31, 2010 4:34 PM

no means yes

17. Deb says: Jul 31, 2010 4:45 PM

Thanks for pointing us to the prose of Weed Against Speed and deep thoughts of the gang at the Auto Tag Store. Nice to know our fanbase is so diverse, intellectually speaking.
    Like so many others, Mr. Price enjoys indulging the myth that the Rooneys have traditionally sent players packing the first time they dropped a gum wrapper on the locker-room floor. That must come as news to the police officer wounded in the infamous shooting-at-the-helicopter incident by our beloved Fats Holmes. In truth, the Rooneys have consistently given much lesser players than their $100-million franchise QB many second chances. And those players were GASP! actually arrested, charged, sentenced for crimes … rather than merely convicted in the court of public opinion of causing Steelers fans to suffer unsavory jokes and unwelcome press.
    As for Ben’s reception in Latrobe, he shouldn’t be damned for something evidence shows he didn’t do. But he shouldn’t be hailed as a conquering hero when his own recklessness got him into this mess in the first place.
    @JimmySmith … your persistent attention is flattering, but shouldn’t you be doing the Vikes’ perennial “we was robbed” act for the Saints?

18. okonkwo21 says: Jul 31, 2010 4:47 PM

I literally cannot believe this.
    Gregg, you are the biggest Steeler apologist I have ever read. Would you be writing the same positive articles about ANY other team which has had one of the shittiest off-seasons in its history?
    This is disgusting.

19. blitzburgh1 says: Jul 31, 2010 4:53 PM

JimmySmith….when a drunk chick tells you you’re hot, you believe her, don’t you?

20. Florio was my prison b____ says: Jul 31, 2010 5:01 PM

come on baaaaby, don’t fear the raaapist
    baby take my hand, don’t fear the rapist
    we’ll be able to flyyyy, don’t fear the rapist
    baby i’m your maaan

21. blmonroe12 says: Jul 31, 2010 5:02 PM

Hey Ben, I assume you read PFT and are gonna read this, so be prepared.
    Cleveland is gonna have a “She said NO” chant tuned up every time you walk on the field. I hear the Browns Backers are going to be passing out flyers with instructions to all the fans at the Stadium entrances. I hope that game means something and is on TV in January, we’ll bring our worst..
    See you then dbag…

22. PRIDEin253 says: Jul 31, 2010 5:03 PM

“The audience at the first day of training camp includes the most diehard, loyal Steelers fans possible.”
    Gregg, both your Steelerection and journalistic incompetence are showing. How embarrassing.

23. numberfour says: Jul 31, 2010 5:03 PM

not only do they love him, they want him to ‘love’ them.

24. Raven Maniac says: Jul 31, 2010 5:04 PM

“Well hello slightly attractive college girl, I’d love to sign that football for you but my hands are dirty from practice. Would you mind following me to the locker rooms so I can clean off and then I’ll gladly sign?”
    Can’t wait til somebody brings him over a public bathroom toilet seat or bottle of liquor to sign!!!!

25. myspaceyourface says: Jul 31, 2010 5:04 PM

You guys are ridiculous.
    Taking this way to far. If you don’t like the Steelers that’s fine, but to say all this garbage is a bit juvenile.
    No one really knows what happened that night except for 2 people. No one knows the intentions of the girl or Ben.
    Move on.

26. football fan says: Jul 31, 2010 5:10 PM

this actually makes me very sad that some folks are so pathetic to cheer for a guy like this. big Ben did not make 1 mistake…he repeatedly took advantage of his position. I am sad at the women who throw themselves at him, who view his position and money as more important than his character, and sad at the men and women who cheer him on because he is an outstanding athlete, and because of what he may do for them. Sad all the way around.

27. Brian Sipe says: Jul 31, 2010 5:11 PM

All his interviews should be done in locked bathrooms lol.

28. BP says: Jul 31, 2010 5:11 PM

Not a very positive statement about Steeler fans. Such giddy approval can only encourage him that his despicable behavior has not been so bad.

29. dreamer says: Jul 31, 2010 5:13 PM

Ruthlessonfurburger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. Macadamia says: Jul 31, 2010 5:15 PM

And here I thought Big Jen was a god not a human, at least to Iron City-drinking inbreds from Three Sewers.

31. Waynesboro KennyG says: Jul 31, 2010 5:23 PM

“People went bananas as he walked to practice.”
    Please do not use the word “banana” in any reference to this quarterback from Pittsburgh. It’s just… not right.

32. Mr. Lagoo says: Jul 31, 2010 5:28 PM

Big Ben just has enough “pay off” money to remain innocent. I know, I know, criminal charges are brought up by the DA and not the victims…but if the victims are given enough cash they will hush up pretty fast, and viola – no case.
    Steeler fans (and the ownership/organization) are the biggest hypocrites in sports…for years we had to hear how they would have cut Michael Irvin, TO, or Ray Lewis, etc…yet they’re standing behind their man (which is probably better than standing in front of him).

33. kirklands-belly says: Jul 31, 2010 5:30 PM

My wife said no 5 times this morning but she still made me breakfast. I guess i should be in jail.

34. Broncofanman says: Jul 31, 2010 5:31 PM

Well, for once I have to agree with the moral majoirty here and say Ben should be locked behind bars for rape. I also think your boddy gaurd should be too for jsut being stupid and going along with your bullcrap story.
    Regardless of the verdict (there wasn’t one actually) as it was dismissed due to the victum wanted closure and not to drag anyone through the mud which brings me to my next throught.
    How much money Ben and Mr. Rooney did you have to pay to the victum so she would simply go away?
    Ben you’re a peice of crap with a rubber arm and a tiny jewels.

35. realitypolice says: Jul 31, 2010 5:34 PM

There are two kind of fans: Level headed fans with real lives and fans who drive hours out of their way to watch their teams practice.
    To quote the infamous Allen Iverson:
    “I mean listen, we’re sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we’re talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it’s my last but we’re talking about practice man. How silly is that?”
    I would expect fans who do that to be a little more hero-worshippy and homerish. So I can’t say I am surprised they cheered for Big Ben.
    Listen- I don’t think he raped anyone, but he is definitely guilty of being a douchebag, and I would have a hard time rooting for him. But you Steeler homers have fun with that.

36. Chapnasty. says: Jul 31, 2010 5:37 PM

I guess Philly fans aren’t the lowest pieces of scum after all. At least the can keep it in the state.

37. steeltownpride says: Jul 31, 2010 5:39 PM

If it gets me 2 more Superbowl wins Ben can chill with my sister anytime .

38. njhitman says: Jul 31, 2010 5:46 PM

Whats funny is how the RAVEN fans talk about Ben that was never charged or nothing but yet the praise TWO KILLERS and you can’t say tow much about that whole BENGALS team . The team where you need to have done noless then 2 yrs in jail before you can play for them Vicks new team

39. Occam says: Jul 31, 2010 5:55 PM

“blmonroe12 says:
    Cleveland is gonna have a “She said NO” chant tuned up every time you walk on the field. I hear the Browns Backers are going to be passing out flyers with instructions to all the fans at the Stadium entrances.”
    Really? You guys need a flyer to figure out how to say 3 words at the same time? Really????

40. Belichick for President says: Jul 31, 2010 5:55 PM

Roesthlisberger rapes = A OK
    Brady has a child out of wedlock = OMG WHAT A DIRTBAGGGGG!!!!!
    Yeah, that makes sense.

41. tractortrailer says: Jul 31, 2010 5:57 PM

hey buddy, found this drudgereport type thing, but its just sports. http://sportscomplainer.com figured thats right up your alley. cya later

42. njhitman says: Jul 31, 2010 6:07 PM

Belichick for President says:
    July 31, 2010 5:55 PM
    Roesthlisberger rapes = A OK
    Brady has a child out of wedlock = OMG WHAT A DIRTBAGGGGG!!!!!
    Yeah, that makes sense.
    ——————–
    You forgot to say haveing a bum locked up for taking garbage and lets not forget about haveing the reporters shot at SHOOT TO KILL

43. donnymac3 says: Jul 31, 2010 6:16 PM

Its not just this last incident that soured me on Big Ben. Im not a steeler fan but I respected the team and all the great players that came thru Pittsburgh, including Ben. But then more and more things started to come out about him. The Sports Illustrated article really sums it all up. A must read if you’re interested in this story. Hard to like him after you read it unless you’re have a religious type fanaticism with him.

44. jackybadass says: Jul 31, 2010 6:25 PM

remember 1 thing, ben wins. in the end its all that matters!

45. Johnny says: Jul 31, 2010 6:38 PM

The fans can cheer him all they want, he still doesn’t give a crap about any of them or the city.

46. meatball13 says: Jul 31, 2010 6:53 PM

I guess the Douche Bag Convention was held at the Steelers practice field this year!

47. Wonka says: Jul 31, 2010 7:02 PM

“Only Shittsburgh fans would cheer for a rapist. Rapistberger should be tossing other guys salads in prison right now.”
    Funny, KOBE BRYANT IS THE MOST POPULAR ATHLETE IN AMERICA AMONG WOMEN!!!!!
    Per the latest Harris poll. You know, the same Kobe that was CHARGED and went to trial for rape. While he was married mind you. Fortunately most of America has faith in the US judicial process and know it’s ok to cheer those who are innocent of things they are accused of. Unlike assclown trolls of other NFL teams who spend their weekends on PFT.com

48. Wonka says: Jul 31, 2010 7:05 PM

The jealousy coming from all of the Ravens/Browns/Bengals fans in every Ben post is pathetic. You vaginas fear and envy the Steelers so bad it is rotting your already small minds.

49. QB_of_the_Future says: Jul 31, 2010 7:06 PM

This is B.S.
    I’ve been a Steelers fan all my life, and I know a lot of others who have been fans for all their lives…and none of us like this jagoff anymore. Once this other “alleged” assault came to light, and all the other stories of what a lout and a prick he can be…lost every bit of good feeling we had for Ben. Hate him, and wish they’d been able to get rid of him, but who else wanted his sorry ass?

50. JVult says: Jul 31, 2010 7:10 PM

Amongst the fans cheering for Roethlisberger were Mike Florio and Greg Rosenthal.

51. JVult says: Jul 31, 2010 7:17 PM

Rosenthal tries way to hard to repair Roethlisberger’s image through his articles here at PFT. He is the ultimate steeler’s apologist and has a positive spin on every bad thing that has happened this offseason for Pittsburgh. However he takes shots at the other 31 franchises. As a member of the media you should not be biased but you have failed to grasp this basic concept.

52. Deb says: Jul 31, 2010 7:22 PM

@steeltownpride and Occam …
    TIE!!! Posts of the day!! ROFLOLOL
    @blmonroe12 …
    Think it’ll help?? LOL
    @Johnny …
    Shhhh, don’t tell but we don’t give a crap about him, either. We’re cheering for our team and he just happens to be our jackass QB.

53. Richm2256 says: Jul 31, 2010 7:24 PM

This says so much about your typical moronic Steelers fan.
    Roethlisberger could rape a Nun he slipped roofies to, in front of a room full of witnesses, and these morons would call her a whore while praising the pathetic football skills of this sleazeball.
    Horrible person, and the worst Super Bowl winning QB since Trent Dilfer. But he’s Pittsburgh’s hero, lol.

54. BigBear123 says: Jul 31, 2010 7:30 PM

Not far from the city where they cheer convicted felons, are you really surprised?
    They would cheer for Charles Manson if he could throw the ball.

55. khall says: Jul 31, 2010 7:34 PM

blmonroe12 says: July 31, 2010 5:02 PM
    Hey Ben, I assume you read PFT and are gonna read this, so be prepared.
    ____________
    Instructions? Your fanbase actually needs a flyer of instructions to say a three-word chant?
    LOLOLOL!!!

56. Chapnasty. says: Jul 31, 2010 7:34 PM

@ Wonka
    You got it wrong my friend… unfortunatley women are attracted to power, wealth and fame. Kobe and other athletes have all of that. The judicial process has nothing to do with pal.

57. Deb says: Jul 31, 2010 7:44 PM

@Richm2256 …
    Still obsessed with our QB, I see. Of course, he didn’t rape a nun or anyone else or slip anyone roofies, so there’s really no reason for us to get bent out of shape about his frat-boy antics. He’s paid for his football skills.
    As a Pats fan, you really aren’t in a position to keep dropping onto Steelers threads to moralize about all the sins we can overlook as long as our team wins … now are you?

58. In & Out Burger says: Jul 31, 2010 8:03 PM

@Richm2256
    Look, no one outside of Pittsburgh likes Ben, but you make your self look stupid by saying he is the “worst Super Bowl winning QB since Trent Dilfer.” His numbers in the first SB were horrible, but his numbers in that playoff run to get them their were outstanding. And his numbers the last few years have been that of a top tier QB. Judge Ben the person for his poor judgement all you want, but attacking his skill is invalid and makes you look like someone who is attacking a football player because he plays for a different team, not on any moral ground.
    And please don’t anyone get on their high horse about the fans supporting him. He was never even charged with a crime. Every single pro sports team in the big three (MLB, NBA, NFL) has had a player accused, arrested, charged, and sometimes even convicted of a crime. We still want our teams to win.
    All that being said, I appreciate that most of the 49ers have managed to stay out of the headlines. Although if our starting QB killed someone, I don’t know if it would even make headlines.

59. azredbird4 says: Jul 31, 2010 8:14 PM

is anyone really surprised? ben is showing the future abusers how it’s done…stay classy stiller fan

60. BonnieD says: Jul 31, 2010 8:41 PM

Why don’t you just go ahead and change the name of this site to Pittsburgh Football Talk?

61. FredB says: Jul 31, 2010 9:26 PM

I have no idea what Ben did or did not do. And unless any of you were in that Georgia bar the night of the “accusation”, none of you know either. He was accused. Never charged, and never found guilty. I’ve heard so many people saying he paid the girl off. Well, if someone raped your wife or daughter, would they settle for a cash payment? Ray Lewis was accused of murder and everyone loves him now. Donte Stallworth killed a person, killed them!! while driving drunk and he’s back playing after a year away from football. I don’t know if the under age drunk girl that accused Ben took a payoff or what, but she dropped the charges, and the Georgia Investigative Unit didn’t find evidence to bring charges, so give it a rest.

62. ampats says: Jul 31, 2010 9:38 PM

njhitman,
    Congrats, another uninformed dumb post but I have come to expect it.
    How anyone could be proud of the fact they come from the biggest cesspool on the East Coast says alot about you.

63. CKL says: Jul 31, 2010 9:45 PM

Do I think the Steelers fans are bad because they still root for their team? Hell no. I think that 95% of NFL FANS in general don’t give a crap what turd is on their team if he helps them win. But the idea that fans would be kissing his azz @ TC by screaming and hollering for him and that they would be giving him EXTRA cheers above and beyond cheering for the team is ludicrous.
    I don’t believe he raped anyone…I think he’s just a jackass of the highest order and treats PEOPLE like crap and like they are there to serve him. If nothing else, no woman should want to go bonkers at the very sight of him because he DEFINITELY is boorish when it comes to women.
    I would bet that more than half of what makes people sue or not sue doctors is their bedside manner. If BR just knew how to treat people he would have had ZERO off field problems.

64. mborz says: Jul 31, 2010 9:48 PM

You want know what’s totally hilarious? If Roethlisberger played for a different team, the fans of that team would be here defending him, and the Steelers fans would be here tearing him down.
    You guys all want to pass judgment on each other based on which side your on, even though the only reason you’re on the side that your on is because of the team that you cheer for.
    Watching you guys argue the facts of the case is stunning – each side only pays attention to the facts that support what they’ve already decided they want to believe.

65. FumbleNuts says: Jul 31, 2010 9:55 PM

# QB_of_the_Future says: July 31, 2010 7:06 PM
    This is B.S.
    The tidal wave of boo’s and signs will be coming when they play on the road.
    Mark it!

66. Ben farts & Deb's lips move! says: Jul 31, 2010 10:42 PM

Brrrrrrrraaaaaaaaappppppp!

67. Raven Maniac says: Jul 31, 2010 11:31 PM

Here’s my overall feelings after reading most of these posts:
    I have NO issue with Steelers fans on here who have no problem calling Ben a jack ass, saying they love their team but can’t stand him. That’s all I want to hear. I have no qualms with team/city pride, that’s what it’s all about. But then there are those who want to put their law school pants on and defend his actions, then start bashing fans from other teams for saying something because “well…you have a killer, and you have a guy with drug charges and gun charges!” so they can’t judge your team? Good luck with that…
    Courts say no case. Public opinion says he was guilty the second the story came out. Steelers fans are the only ones who are concerned with the courts. Good luck changing the public perception…

68. PARavensJeff says: Aug 1, 2010 5:32 AM

Thank you Western PA for showing us how truly classy you are. I just saw the welcome @ camp he got, what is wrong w/ you people? Would you feel this way if it was your Mother, wife, sister, daughter? He only got off because the police in that town screwed up the investigation & he paid the girl off to let it all go. & the only reason he’s still on your team is because he is the starting QB. If he had been a 2nd stringer like that WR that slapped around his girlfriend that was released a few years ago, he would have been cut & in jail. He got the Harrson treatment & received a “2nd chance”. You stay classy Pissburgh!

69. Steelintn says: Aug 1, 2010 8:03 AM

QB_of_the_Future says:
    July 31, 2010 7:06 PM
    This is B.S.
    ————————————————
    That’s funny because I’VE been a STEELERS fan all my life, and I know a lot of others who HAVE BEEN fans for all their lives…and ALL of us think he got screwed over by some drunk skank. We are happy we have a winning QB and are glad he’s still with the team.

70. Steelintn says: Aug 1, 2010 8:13 AM

azredbird4 says:
    July 31, 2010 8:14 PM
    ————————————————
    Still pissed our QB beat your team in the Super Bowl I see. Time to let it go.

71. Jaydub says: Aug 1, 2010 8:22 AM

FredB says: July 31, 2010 9:26 PM
    ———————————————————
    The charges were dropped rather suddenly, which would seem to strongly indicate a payoff. She was paid to walk away and keep her mouth shut. If she doesn’t talk, they can’t build a case. If they can’t build a case, they can’t charge him. If they can’t charge him, he can’t be arrested.
    Yet, the NFL still suspended him for 4-6 games…
    Something definitely happened that night, and he bought his way out of it. Just as OJ how perfect and flawless the justice system is. Guilty people DO walk somoetimes.

72. openfieldtackle says: Aug 1, 2010 8:33 AM

No charges=No Rape
    It will be GREAT when Goodell hands Ben a SB trophy!
    That will be justice.

73. Steeler fans are tools says: Aug 1, 2010 9:30 AM

steeltownpride says:
    July 31, 2010 5:39 PM
    If it gets me 2 more Superbowl wins Ben can chill with my sister anytime .
    ———————————————-
    Your parents should have used a condom

74. FredB says: Aug 1, 2010 9:55 AM

Jaydub says:
    August 1, 2010 8:22 AM
    FredB says: July 31, 2010 9:26 PM
    —————– ——————– ——————–
    Yet, the NFL still suspended him for 4-6 games…
    So tell me Jaydub, If there in fact was a payoff, what is a woman called that has sex for money?
    Seems to me if she took the payoff, she’s just a VERY high priced one.

75. FredB says: Aug 1, 2010 9:58 AM

PARavensJeff says:
    August 1, 2010 5:32 AM
    Ray Lewis……. stay classy B’more

76. Jaydub says: Aug 1, 2010 12:34 PM

FredB says: August 1, 2010 9:55 AM
    Seems to me if she took the payoff, she’s just a VERY high priced one.
    ————————————————————
    Wow
    So she’s a whore because she accepted a payoff? Prostitutes take money for consensual sex. Non-consensual sex is called RAPE. This girl was stupid for taking the payoff, but that doesn’t make her a prostitute. If it was just a one time thing with Ben, I’d call bullshit, but sorry….where there’s more than one instance of smoke, there’s probably fire, and when the victim does a sudden about-face and drops the whole thing, you better believe that there was hush money involved. Thinking otherwise would just be idiotic and naive, which appears to be an epidemic in Squealerburgh

77. SkiHa says: Aug 1, 2010 2:08 PM

Haha… this is hilarious. If this was Palmer, Flaco, or whatever guy is playing QB for Clevland, the headline would read. “Cincinnati cheers for rapists”
    Florio and Rosenthal are hacks.

78. Deb says: Aug 1, 2010 4:33 PM

CKL’s post was brilliant. Roethlisberger is a very talented QB who could be a Hall-of-Famer if he weren’t a self-indulgent jackass who refuses to maximize his potential. He’s among the top QBs in the league, but not what he could be. And nothing excuses his egomania.
    Raven Maniac, I’m one of those who puts on my “law school pants”–but not to defend what Ben’s done because the evidence shows he’s an ass (for which there’s no defense) not a rapist. But I wear the same pants for every player. You won’t find ONE post from me calling Lewis or Stallworth murderers because I’ve also reviewed their cases. If I don’t have time to study the facts, I don’t comment. Criminal justice is serious, so I don’t mouth off on any case without knowing what I’m talking about because–crazy as it sounds–my agenda is getting as close to the truth as I can whether it’s a Ravens player, a Browns player, or a Steelers player.

79. Jack Burton says: Aug 2, 2010 9:33 AM

Who cares, how did Dixon do? Probably not well considering the Attacker and the Statue are eating up all the reps.

80. pageant-judge says: Aug 2, 2010 10:24 AM

You know so much can be said about this situation and it’s just very difficult to say who is right and who is wrong. However, there are 3 people at the most that know what happened almost 5 months ago in GA. #1 GOD KNOWS FOR SURE. #2 & #3 Ben and the Accuser may not know because they were so intoxicated.
    I am not condoning Ben’s Boorish Immature Behavior at all but I’m willing to give him a chance if he wants to change. However, I’m like the Game of Baseball, 3 Strikes is an out. While the allegations in Reno, Nevada and Mid, GA may not be that thick by their accusers stories, I’m just getting tired of trying to defend Big Ben and I have ZERO ALLEGIANCE to any NFL Pro Team because I am a resident of Birmingham, Alabama where there is no NFL teams here.
    Let’s remember one thing here people, even a killer can be forgiven by God. None of us are perfect and according to Romans 3:23, For ALL have SINNED and come short of the Glory of God. I saw on Ben’s Pittsburgh TV interview where he wants to change and he’s going to church and wants to be a role model and while I know that is a Mouth Full, let’s give Ben the chance we would all want if we were in his shoes. God will give us more grace if we give others more grace.
    May God Bless You All Here and Ben!

81. jibfest says: Aug 2, 2010 12:37 PM

BigBear123 says:
    July 31, 2010 7:30 PM
    They would cheer for Charles Manson if he could throw the ball.
    @Bigbear: The knock on Manson coming out of college wasn’t the deep ball. Everyone knew he had a killer arm. The concern was him throwing the intermediate routes, plus his questionable character.

82. dubs7_2000 says: Aug 2, 2010 3:26 PM

Here is another list for you….Quit bitchin’ about Ben…Ya think he’s the only one in trouble…
    Rae Carruth- conspiracy to commit murder
    Ray Lewis- shady during murder investigation
    Pacman Jones- being dumb in strip clubs
    Chris Henry- traffic violations/being stupid
    Tank Johnson- guns
    Mike Vick- dogs
    Plaxico Burres- guns
    Marshawn Lynch- guns
    Donte Stallworth- DUI/homicide
    Reggie Williams- drugs
    Matt Jones- drugs
    Win a few games and all is forgotten!!! Get over it folks…Welcome to the NFL

83. RebaT. says: Aug 2, 2010 4:55 PM

No, not all Steelers love him. PIG. They should have thrown tomatoes at him… right in the jewels.
    #7 jerseys still aren’t selling. They put them on sale too! LMAO

84. Deb says: Aug 2, 2010 8:35 PM

Yes, Unifan, I’ve known who you are for a while, just didn’t know if you were African American. Strange pretense. The bit about running your name past THREE rape survivors was pitiful. FYI: Women don’t get empowered by what men call themselves on blogs.
    Wondered how long you could refrain from posting more SHRIEKING manifestos. Must have been challenging.
    Don’t know why you’ve fixated on me. Since YOU invent my views then debate what you pretend I’ve said, I’m not needed. Guess I should be flattered over this desperate need to prove you’re smarter than I am. But it’s creepy.
    You’re not the keeper of the Steeler flame, Unifan. I’ve loved my team more than 30 years and will comment as I please. If you don’t like what I say, skip my posts or take a Valium. I’ve never tried to be anyone other than myself, have nothing to prove, and won’t be SCREAMED into submission by an obsessed nut.
    Most children could understand this sentence:
    “Roethlisberger is a very talented QB who COULD BE a Hall-of-Famer IF HE WEREN’T A SELF-INDULGENT JACKASS who refuses to maximize his potential.”
    Since I didn’t say Roethlisberger is a Hall of Famer and have made clear I think he’s a jackass, no need to waste time reading this silliness. Carry on without me.

85. stetai says: Aug 3, 2010 10:34 AM

I can understand not lynching, booing, or hating on him in general, but cheering him?
    That’s really pathetic considering its been basically been proven/admitted that he violated at least one girl in an immoral way, even if they didn’t think they had enough evidence to convict in a court of law.
    I know sports fans are sports fans, but if you know for sure, that an athlete did something like this, look the other way, be silent, but don’t cheer. You give sports fans a bad name.

86. Deb says: Aug 3, 2010 1:56 PM

You have a bizarre, irrational hatred of your team’s QB. Fine. I don’t care. Since I’ve vehemently argued his innocence in a criminal case, you’ve decided that’s “love” and you must purge me from the fan ranks. Grow up and get a life. I’m an adult professional journalist from a family of attorneys. My discussion of the legal issues was based on the evidence. I didn’t own a #7 jersey before and won’t be buying one now. #7’s an ass, but it doesn’t make him a rapist. And my analysis of a criminal case and a player’s performance on the field has nothing to do with what I think of him personally. You shouldn’t judge others by your simple-minded standards.
    You are the only so-called Steelers fan here disrupting a LeBeau thread with your obsession over Roethlisberger. If you are upset that he plays for the Steelers, take it up with the Rooneys. I didn’t hire him and nothing I’ve said or done has kept him on the team. Your mental disorders and perennial pissies aren’t my problem. Take a Midol and a Valium and find a good therapist who gets paid to listen.

87. nofunleagueNFL says: Aug 3, 2010 4:16 PM

Has Tony Dungy chimed in on this matter? Probably not. Hmm, wonder why he remained silent and has not rallied around Ben R…. He’s an ex-Steeler, and more than likely has probably given this a bit of thought. If he has opined he did it in a very low key way.
    Also, if these off-field incidents involved Byron Leftwich or Dennis Dixon, would he have offered us his “help” to these two players? Just curious.
    If Ben has the same results as that other louse that plays for the Lakers… then all will be forgiven. A deep playoff run will erase a lot of ill will for BR. He does share in the good fortune that the league absolutely loves his team (like KB’s Lakers.) As a commissioner of the NFL, Mr. Goodell should not show favoritism… sadly he does. Just like Mr. Stern and his beloved Lakers.

88. Deb says: Aug 3, 2010 7:34 PM

Unifan,
    I don’t want to refute you. I don’t even know what I’m supposed to refute. You are a shrieking NUT on a blog.
    I’m a grownup professional journalist from a family of lawyers who analyzed legal evidence and gave my opinion on it. My review of the evidence isn’t personal. You would get that if you were a grownup professional journalist who spent a lot of time with lawyers.
    I’ve been a Steelers fan for more than 30 years through many QBs. I love my team. Period. I don’t hero worship players. MANY people have come onto PFT defending BEN rather than reviewing the evidence. You’ve ignored them and singled out me because you are INSANE. If you could step back and read your shrieking posts, you’d know that.
    Nothing you do PAINS me. I think your sad and disturbing and that PFT should report you to the team because you are probably dangerous with your VOW of revenge on a player you’re not obsessed with. But it’s not my problem. I’m not Ben. I didn’t hire Ben. I can’t fire Ben. Call the Rooneys and leave me out of it.
    Please get help.

89. RebaT. says: Aug 3, 2010 8:40 PM

Deb is an idiot.

90. Deb says: Aug 3, 2010 9:00 PM

Hugs, RebaT. Try not to fall off your barstool tonight.

91. badthing says: Aug 4, 2010 5:59 PM

Here we go again………….

92. badthing says: Aug 4, 2010 7:59 PM

When it comes to off field behavior, obviously some of us fans hold our team’s players to a higher standard than others do.

93. pageant-judge says: Aug 5, 2010 1:20 PM

Rumor has it that Ben has a new girlfriend. I wonder how much long it will be before Ben gets married. I don’t think he’s ready to be a husband and father yet. I think it’s way too early for that one. JMO!

94. FrankoBollo says: Aug 5, 2010 3:12 PM

Ha ha, all you hater clowns who thought it was over for Ben… oh how you wished it! And now, reality. Ben is loved even more than before! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!