Bengals bag first-round pick

For the Bengals, a holdout from the team’s first-round pick has become the rule, not the exception.  Few teams like to pay big money based only on potential, and the bargain-hunting Bengals are usually one of the most reluctant franchises when it comes to making an unproven player a multi-millionaire.

This year, the team’s first-round pick held out once again.  But the holdout has ended.  Tight end Jermaine Gresham has agreed to terms.

Receiver Chad Ochocinco broke the news via Twitter, besting the likes of ESPN’s Adam Schefter by a minute.

Gresham missed all of 2009 with a torn ACL, an injury that may have caused Gresham to slide a bit, making him available when the Bengals used the 21st overall pick.

As pointed out in our AFC North training camp one-liners, Gresham had been placed at the top of the depth chart, even without signing his contract.  We’ll see whether he can stay there once he starts practicing.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Bengals bag first-round pick”
  1. CinCinFansSince86 says: Aug 2, 2010 5:24 PM

OCNN beat you to it!!

2. JaggedMark says: Aug 2, 2010 5:25 PM

Suh is about to achieve his goal of being the last of the first round picks to be signed.
    Although, Spiller is going to give him a run for his money.

3. TheBengal13 says: Aug 2, 2010 5:26 PM

Finally! Good thing it wasn’t a really long holdout. This guy is going to be a beast.
    And while Florio AGAIN bashes the Bengals, he has a point with the holdouts. Outside of the Bengals really only being a pretty good team over the last 7 years, the annual first round holdout situation with this team is up there as the most frustrating aspect of how the franchise is run.

4. downwithdansnyder says: Aug 2, 2010 5:27 PM

I have to admit I’m not a twitter guy, so maybe I’m off here, BUT. If the Bengals give Ocho a head’s up to news and he generates followers as a result…if he monetizes those followers (this is really where my twitter knowledge lacks) then isn’t that an enrichment a.k.a a salary cap violatoin? Wait, now I sound like a lawyer….

5. odell says: Aug 2, 2010 5:28 PM

who dey

6. jbone2005 says: Aug 2, 2010 5:37 PM

Well Mike, Gresham isn’t at the top of the depth chart, so… you’re dumb.
    Marv better not mess around by putting T.O. on the 3rd spot… what kind of unnecessary and stupid mind game is that?? The guy’s going to get cranky….

7. merrillhodgestoupee says: Aug 2, 2010 5:38 PM

yawn…..

8. kazkal says: Aug 2, 2010 5:40 PM

Looks like they even paid him more then his slot.
    League source on Gresham’s deal — $15.8 million/$9.6 million guaranteed/$18.5 million max
    vs
    #20 got a 5 year deal worth 13.10 million and 10.35 million guaranteed
    #22 got a 5 year deal worth 12.15 million and 9.35 million guaranteed

9. 7370355q$ says: Aug 2, 2010 5:42 PM

health, blocking and speed to stretch the field r my only concerns with gresham

10. oruacat2 says: Aug 2, 2010 5:45 PM

With T.O. in the fold, it’s guys like Gresham, 2nd year TE Chase Coffman, and those fighting to win that slot-receiver spot who should be chomping at the proverbial bit. It’s they who will benefit the most from the attention #85 and #81 will draw from opposing defenses.

11. JoeSchmoe says: Aug 2, 2010 6:09 PM

You really need to get over the “cheap” label you’re trying to tag Cincy with Flowery-hoe… “reluctant franchise”, “bargain-hunting Bengals”. STFU with all that please…
    Cincy is a legit contender, and has made all the moves you could ask of a team to compete. Get over your 1990’s stigma around this team for gods sake!

12. Ridnaway says: Aug 2, 2010 6:12 PM

Call the mothership and tell them they can keep the “real” Mike Brown! We’ll take this one.

13. Ravenator says: Aug 2, 2010 6:20 PM

What’s it going to matter? Bungals will still lose the division. Flacco is going to dominate this year. Watch for the pump fake!!!!

14. Laxer37 says: Aug 2, 2010 6:29 PM

JoeSchmoe says:
    “Cincy is a legit contender – Get over your 1990’s stigma around this team for gods sake!”
    ————————————————-
    You mean the same 1990’s stigma that became the 2000’s stigma?
    How about you win a friggin’ playoff game inside two decades and the rest of us will give Bengals fans the respect that they feel they deserve for going one and out in the playoffs.

15. Kaz says: Aug 2, 2010 6:33 PM

Didn’t some other teams just sign their 1st round pick, including the Colts who had the 31st? I didn’t hear a shot at their Organization. If you would have listened to that crazy Old Man Brown, there wouldn’t be all this collective bargaining agreement mess the league has gotten itself into….

16. onlymyopinionmatters says: Aug 2, 2010 6:53 PM

Kaz said;
    ***************************
    I couldn’t agree more. Brown didn’t want to sign the last labor deal, and knew it was not a good deal. He tried to get the owners to look closer but Tagliabue wanted to rush it thru.
    My recollection tells me Brown had only one other owner in his corner who also voted against the deal. Would anybody like to take a guess on who that was? Alot of people call him crazy too

17. enders says: Aug 2, 2010 6:53 PM

# downwithdansnyder says: August 2, 2010 5:27 PM
    —————–
    No, you don’t sound like a lawyer. You sound like someone who is trying to sound like a lawyer.

18. TheBengal13 says: Aug 2, 2010 7:06 PM

Ravenator says:
    August 2, 2010 6:20 PM
    ————————————————–
    ‘Fraid not. Read this: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13694394/bengals-camp-report-perception-aside-cincys-even-better?tag=coverlist_active;coverlist_footer.
    I think I’ll take Prisco’s opinion over a ‘gloid like you. Thanks, though.

19. kazkal says: Aug 2, 2010 7:40 PM

——————————————————
    You mean the same 1990’s stigma that became the 2000’s stigma?
    ——————————————————
    Ya that changed with Marvin Lewis coming town :P we’ve had 2 losing seasons under him out of 8 so stfu…Things change any non retard can tell bengals have great team built.

20. tleg81 says: Aug 2, 2010 7:51 PM

Rarely do I write on these boards. Most of the banter on here seems to come from people that make little to no sense, and or, think their respective teams are ALL going to win the superbowl, because they happened to sign a good player, or drafted a promising rookie. That, and the constant bickering between division rivals about, cheating, arrests, stupid nicknames, and seriously childish name calling.
    That said, I do read it, because sometimes it is funny to read how fired up people get when someone says something insulting about thier team. So, I could not help myself getting all the Bengal fans all fired up because they can not stop bragging about having TO on their team.
    EVERY FREAKING post about the Bengals (even when the story says nothing about it), seems to bring up how good the Bengals are going to be with TO and Ocho.
    Do I need to remind all of you that 31 other teams wanted nothing to do with that idiot? I really do not think teams are going to spend 3 extra seconds game planning for TO. There is a reason nobody wanted him, HE SUCKS!! BAD!!
    He was good once, yes, with McNabb throwing it to him, or Garcia in his prime, and when he was young. But now??? Child Please….HE SUCKS!!
    Please do not tell me that teams did not want him because he is a pain in the neck. Every team has those types of idiots, but they keep them because they are productive. TO has more drops the past 3 seasons on sure TDs, than Braylon Edwards……
    Please get over that pathetic free agent signing, he does not make your team better, if anything he makes them worse, and probably will have Carson Palmer committing suicide by week 3.

21. sixburghrules says: Aug 2, 2010 8:00 PM

The agents want to see huge contracts with guaranteed money so they are guaranteed to get their cut!
    If I were an owner I would want the incentives and escalators in rookie contracts. If you want to avoid a lock out next year keep the AGENTS from bending players ears. It is the AGENTS that are going to ruin this league. That is why these contracts have gotten so out of hand along with ticket prices.
    Keep the AGENTS out of the NFLPA and things would be a whole lot better.

22. Eat@Joes says: Aug 2, 2010 8:07 PM

@ Ravenator

23. 7370355q$ says: Aug 2, 2010 8:31 PM

@TheBengal13
    Claark Judge likes the ravens just like prisco likes the bengals, who cares and heres proof:

24. CincyAllDaWay says: Aug 2, 2010 8:47 PM

@tleg81…………..My friend, you must be high! If you think for 1 sec that teams won’t have to game plan for TO and Chad you either don’t know sh!t about football or just freakin retarded! I’ve never been a huge fan of TO personally but there’s absolutely no way he can’t help this team to be better. Yes he’s older now and he does drop a pass here or there (although I’d wager that he’s never dropped as many as a trash receiver like Braylon Edwards) but all receivers do! Not one of them has ever caught everything thrown their way. And if you look at TO’s numbers just last year on a horrible Bills team I think there pretty respectable. I don’t know who your team is or if they even face Cincy this year, but if they do you can bet that they’ll game plan for TO! And if they don’t, then they’ll definitely “Kiss Da Baby”!

25. TheBengal13 says: Aug 2, 2010 9:04 PM

Ravens fans:
    Look up Carson Palmer’s record as a starter against Baltimore. He owns you. More of the same will be coming your way in 2010. That is all.

26. WhoDeyRey says: Aug 2, 2010 10:12 PM

Florio = Steeler’s fan

27. dixiebengalfan says: Aug 2, 2010 10:26 PM

Dear Ravens Fans
    With all of your secondary either injured or returning from injury, how are you going to cover all of Carson Palmer’s targets?
    Ocho, TO, Bryant, Caldwell (you remember him from the first Bengals/Ravens meeting last year), Shipley and now Gresham all running routes will give your DB’s headaches.
    And don’t forget Cedric Benson ended the Ravens’ string of not allowing a 100 yard rusher.
    Take this as a consolation: we Bengals fans gave you Shayne Graham. Wait until he misses a clutch field goal and you’ll REALLY wish Stover was still kicking for you.
    Everything will be decided week two in PBS!

28. Blackn'Gold says: Aug 2, 2010 10:56 PM

This is good news for the Bengals. Another weapon for Carson Palmer to throw to. With him, T.O. and Ocho, this could be a potent receiving corp.
    GO STEELERS!

29. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Aug 2, 2010 11:04 PM

Gresham is going to be a gamechanger for the Bengals. All this talk about TO, and no one is considering what will happen when Gresham becomes a target over the middle, or in short yardage situations. The addition of TO only makes their offense that much more dangerous, and there will be matchup problems everywhere for the opposing defense. The Bengals haven’t had a decent option at TE since Rodney Holman, and Palmer has never had a game changing TE to look for.
    I saw him play numerous times at OU, and he looked like a men among boys. If he stays healthy, he’ll be a top five TE for years.

30. hizzle1281 says: Aug 2, 2010 11:30 PM

didnt Peyton Manning “bag” his trainer in college?

31. Burning River says: Aug 2, 2010 11:50 PM

Great signing! Can’t wait to see T.J. Ward tattoo his ass.
    GO BROWNS!

32. ZebraCat says: Aug 3, 2010 1:48 AM

@downwithdansnyder
    You don’t know anything about twitter. You don’t monetize from anything on Twitter. He gets to stroke his ego by seeing over a million people reading and reacting to everything he writes.
    @tleg81
    You sound more like a scorned lover then anyone with any football knowledge. No matter who the WR’s are a team is going to game plan for them. If you think T.O. doesn’t command any respect you should try and watch him play this year. I guarantee you will see a safety over the top helping out the CB’s guarding T.O. at least 60% of the time. It is funny you start your post talking about people who have terrible posts and then yours is the cake topper of bad posts.
    @Blackn’Gold
    I commend you for acknowledging a potential problem in your division rival. Every other Steeler fan on this site is just slamming the Cincy WR group saying they are overrated, over the hill, etc…

33. Azriel says: Aug 3, 2010 1:56 AM

# TheBengal13 says: August 2, 2010 9:04 PM
    Ravens fans:

Damn straight, sir. And not only do the Ravens have it coming, but so do the Steelers, Colts, Saints, Chargers, and Patriots. I can’t wait for week 1 in Foxborough when the Cincinnati offense runs all over New England’s defense and sends a message to the AFC.

34. BengalsDouche2 says: Aug 3, 2010 7:51 AM

@Black n’ Gold- I have to say I’ve honestly never met a Steelers fan who acknowledges anything good about the Bengals. You seem to be the one Steelers fan I wouldn’t mind watching football with. Man that hurts to say. And no I’m not just saying that b/c you said something good about the Bengals. But b/c you actually do realize our receiving corp is a forced to be reckoned with and has the chance to absolutely MURDER any defense in the league assuming Carson can get his act together. Ray Lewis’ ears just popped up when I said murder. :-) Anyone who doesn’t realize the potential this corp has is definitely smoking the whacky. This has to be one of the Top 5, if not the Top 3, receiving corp in the league. On top of that, we have Cedric Benson (@tleg81- another player that the other 31 teams didn’t have any interest in and he blew up almost every team he played against last year) behind the line ready to shove the ball down your throat just like he did last year. I can’t wait to see what this team does to defenses in the NFL.

35. WhoPlaysWhere says: Aug 3, 2010 7:57 AM

@Laxer37 – Yeah, you’re right, its the fans fault for the last two decades. We want respect for the team, not for some run dum from Pittsburgh to give us respect as a fan.
    @Burning River, we’re just glad you guys are going to field a team this year. Our division lacked national respect with only 3 teams.
    WHO DEY B!TCHES!!

36. wrekOgnize says: Aug 4, 2010 9:58 AM

This is the franchise who signed Carson Palmer before they drafted him. Let’s not point fingers at them for not wanting to pay millions on potential.

37. tleg81 says: Aug 6, 2010 12:49 AM

So all of you that jumped on my nuts for the TO bashing, thank you for the laughs.
    I did not say that other receivers dont drop passes, I know they all do, but not as much as TO. I seriously doubt that teams will gameplan that much because of a #3 reciever. Honestly, Gresham (I know he is a TE, but he is a better target at this point in his career than TO), Caldwell (the only one with enough balls to go across the middle), and Ocho are all better pass catchers than TO. For the record, I was asked to look at TOs stats from last year because they would be “respectable”. 16 games, 55 catches, 800 yds, and 5 TDs, is hardly respectable for all this hoopla! Not to mention, I owe Braylon Edwards an apology, he only dropped 5 passes last season. I guess they were just all important ones, thats why he stood out. That said, TO was 3rd in the league in dropped passes with 9. Thats 4 more passes than he caught for TDs.
    Okay, so I admit, teams will pay attention to him, because he is on the field, and teams pay attention to everyone on the field. But if you think for a second that teams are going to shift the safetys to his side of the field, your nuts.
    I actually like the Bengals, I like Carson a lot! Love Marvin Lewis, and respect the way they played last year. But, they are not “better” with TO. I just dont see it, at all! The Eagles let him go because he made them worse, same with the Boys. The Bills did not look more potent with him on the field…..and he is not getting younger or faster.
    Yes, I will agree that Ced Benson got a raw deal from teams. But he had not proven anything in the NFL to that point. He was worth the risk. TO has only proven to be a bum the past 3 yrs.
    Not worth it at all!
    Gresham, however, is a beast and will be fun to watch. That is, if TO does not whine too much and demand the ball every other down, and essentially takes away from his catches. To all of you who crapped on my post. Ease up a little, I like the Bengals, just hate the signing, just as much as I hate Rex Ryan and the paper champs, the Jets and the Ravens, I dont even know why we are playing a football season with all the talk about 2 teams that have qbs that havent proven ANYTHING. But thats why they play the game.
    Good Luck to the Bengals, and all their fans, I will be rooting for ya. Sorry to get all you fired up, I just can not stand TO or the cancer he brings to teams…..Cancer is never good