Steelers to honor Lebeau with road trip

Florio isn’t the only one driving to Canton this weekend.

The Steelers announced they are closing training camp to the public on Saturday so they can board buses as a team for Canton where they will watch defensive coordinator Dick Lebeau be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The Steelers have a Saturday morning practice, then will take a bus back on the same night and have practice again Sunday afternoon.

We realize that the proximity of Pittsburgh helps make the trip possible, but it’s still an amazing gesture.  It should will help make a memorable weekend for Lebeau and all his family even sweeter.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
44 Responses to “Steelers to honor Lebeau with road trip”
  1. robert ethen says: Aug 2, 2010 8:49 PM

As a further salute to LeBeau, the bus will be a double decker Pierce Arrow Flyer with wooden spoked wheels.

2. Citizen Strange says: Aug 2, 2010 8:50 PM

Now you got ME all choked up!
    GO STEELERS!

3. TheRedBengal says: Aug 2, 2010 8:56 PM

That’s cool. He’s a great guy. One of the top d-coordinators of all time, and was an underrated player.

4. DG0122 says: Aug 2, 2010 8:58 PM

I met Coach LeBeau at a clinic this winter- coolest guy EVER. Awesome gesture by the Steelers

5. Ravenmaniac says: Aug 2, 2010 8:58 PM

Nice….what a well deserved induction into the HOF…Congrats Coach LeBeau

6. KCDub says: Aug 2, 2010 9:00 PM

It’s a long time coming for LeBeau and it definitely worth a Steelers team trip. Congrats Dick LeBeau, you’ve earned it.

7. bake says: Aug 2, 2010 9:01 PM

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! if ya never been to Canton for one of the Enshrinements, you must go once in yer life!!!!!!!!

8. brasho says: Aug 2, 2010 9:02 PM

Can you imagine the kind of trim Roethlisberger can get in the roadside truckstop bathrooms from some of the whores on the way to Canton? SWEEET!

9. ravens suck says: Aug 2, 2010 9:02 PM

That’s the way you honor a legend…I wonder if the Pats will do that for Belichek, or even pay Brady..

10. Uncle Leo says: Aug 2, 2010 9:11 PM

Big Ben rape comments coming in 3-2-1….go!

11. Burritto says: Aug 2, 2010 9:15 PM

Good reporting here. Indeed, the proximity of Pittsburgh to Canton is a factor, but this is still something special for the Steelers to do. This is the right thing for a franchise with some punks on their roster to do.
    Plus, LeBeau deserves it. Whether you look at him as a player or a coach or a coordinator, his impact upon the NFL is severe.

12. tombrookshire says: Aug 2, 2010 9:20 PM

Classy!

13. southFLAsteel says: Aug 2, 2010 9:23 PM

There are many HIGHLY deserving members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Dick LeBeau will be one of them. Congrats again Coach LeBeau!!!

14. BlitzburghGator says: Aug 2, 2010 9:33 PM

Nice to see them showing their appreciation in such a manner. He deserves it..

15. thehoodedone says: Aug 2, 2010 9:35 PM

Nice gesture. I’ll even refrain from making a “lock up your women and children” joke.

16. TampaJoey says: Aug 2, 2010 9:36 PM

Steelers to honor Lebeau by raping a couple college virgins in the men’s room. Stay classy Steelers, your fans love and support you.

17. TheToolofTools says: Aug 2, 2010 9:39 PM

This is part of the Steelers mantra.
    Trust me.
    They will have a bus, but a ton of players will drive out in their own cars just for comfort.
    The Steelers are just headbangers.

18. HandsofSweed says: Aug 2, 2010 9:46 PM

Man, that is a long, shitty drive from
    Pittsburgh up Rt. 30 to Canton. Lots of winding, semi-torn up two-lane road at 55 mph with slow folks driving in front of you for at least half the trip. Then they have to drive back the same day.
    They are REALLY excited about the trip anyhow.
    This might be the best evidence of LeBeau’s greatness.

19. ECS - Brougham Boys 74 says: Aug 2, 2010 9:48 PM

Sure hope they leave the offense at home. Especially the serial rapist QB.

20. The Tyler Rose - Best Ever says: Aug 2, 2010 9:58 PM

Geez…not one person with something negative to say about Lebeau? I am truly shocked based on the normal level of venom that comes out in the comments.
    I have to say that I never remember hearing a bad word about the man myself. That’s a bigger accomplishment than the HOF in my opinion.

21. Blackn'Gold says: Aug 2, 2010 10:45 PM

It’s not everyday that someone is inducted into the Hall of Fame. The fact that the entire team is going up to watch is indicative of the love and respect for Dick Lebeau within the organization.
    GO STEELERS!

22. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Aug 2, 2010 10:58 PM

I’m not a fan of the Steelers, but I am a fan of LeBeau. His incredible NFL resume mandated his entry into the Hall., and I’m glad to see it, as well as the gesture.
    Well deserved!

23. sixburghrules says: Aug 2, 2010 11:13 PM

Dick LeBeau is a great mind in the NFL and was a GREAT player in his own right

24. Burning River says: Aug 2, 2010 11:15 PM

It’s really a classy way to honor Dick Lebeau.
    Can they get that whole team on a short bus?

25. Deb says: Aug 2, 2010 11:21 PM

Congratulations, Coach LeBeau!! That’s a wonderful gesture–great for local area fans, too. There’s usually a good Steeler Nation turnout when someone from the team makes the Hall–although LeBeau’s well-deserved induction is for his on-field performance as a defensive back for the Lions. So glad he’s finally getting his due as a player!

26. zonepro764 says: Aug 2, 2010 11:32 PM

There aren’t many teams that would do that for a coach/player.

27. theravenlives2 says: Aug 2, 2010 11:38 PM

I mean, what’s the big deal here? I’m sure the Browns will be closing their training camp and busing over when Art Modell is inducted, right? Can I get an amen!

28. ThePitts says: Aug 3, 2010 12:58 AM

Bigggg!!!! that’s why I’m a Steelers fan.

29. Wick says: Aug 3, 2010 2:18 AM

LeBeau — long overdue.
    Ecstatic that the Steelers know how to more-than-properly honor the man and his contributions.
    Steeler football baby!

30. timegambit says: Aug 3, 2010 2:34 AM

I loved him on Hogan’s Hero’s.

31. Tomthebombtracy says: Aug 3, 2010 6:27 AM

This year they take the bus.
    Next year, they take the bus to honor The Bus!
    Is not Jerome Bettis eligible in ’11?

32. FAS says: Aug 3, 2010 7:03 AM

Nice to see a little class from that horrible franchise…I’m sure the each and every Steeler will enjoy watching the Bengals former head coach go into the Hall of Fame.

33. Steeler fans are tools says: Aug 3, 2010 7:57 AM

brasho says:
    August 2, 2010 9:02 PM
    ———————————
    HAHAHAHA!!! That made my day, strong comment!! I was thinking the same thing

34. Scurrilous says: Aug 3, 2010 8:00 AM

I come here for the football info and the entertaining idiots who post here. Some of you morons really need to get a life. I find it extremely funny that Bungles and Rat-Birds fans continually try to rip on the Steelers for the actions of one player, yet have teams loaded with criminals and degenerates.
    Go Steelers and congratulations Coach Lebeau!! A much deserved and long overdue honor.

35. Steel Dahn Sahth says: Aug 3, 2010 8:14 AM

They are going to have to build a new building in Canton just for the all of the Steelers in there.

36. Jack Burton says: Aug 3, 2010 8:22 AM

Great DB, even better coach. Congrats Coach.

37. Crazy Nick says: Aug 3, 2010 8:36 AM

With all due respect to Mr. Roethlisberger and the unfortunate recent events in Nevada and Milledgeville, am I to understand that if somehow, Ben can refrain from raping anyone in the next 3 months, his suspension will be reduced to 4 games?
    Dick Lebeau is not only a HOF coach, but he should have been inducted to the HOF 25 years ago for what he accomplished as a player.
    Congrats Coach.
    You’re the best.

38. buckeye044 says: Aug 3, 2010 8:42 AM

We are really looking forward to it. Going to be a Great time!

39. Holeinone09 says: Aug 3, 2010 8:49 AM

Congrats Coach for finally getting your due respect. The guy is simply amazing! His combined player and coaching experience is awesome. Steelers doing their normal classy thing with enabling the team to attend for such a special tribute. Good job all. Steeler Nation will be there in huge numbers I am sure. Wish I could be there myself.
    Thanks to some rival fans’ nice comments here, nice show of respect! As to the other jokesters, let them spew their drivel. But they secretly wish they were Steeler fans!
    GO STEELERS!

40. DG0122 says: Aug 3, 2010 11:18 AM

Tampa Joey, just because you were/are a college virgin, here’s a little tidbit for you- you were/are in the minority

41. ADogDC says: Aug 3, 2010 11:35 AM

Yeah right….
    It’s ONLY an hour and a half drive!

42. CKL says: Aug 3, 2010 12:03 PM

Poo Flinging Monkey says:
    August 2, 2010 10:58 PM
    Well deserved!
    ____________________________________
    This.
    I’m a Pats fan, but I love that guy. What a class guy.

43. george says: Aug 3, 2010 11:22 PM

Damn, Deb, good job on the idiot talking BB trash instead of honoring Coach LeBeau.
    As for the B&G haters, you’ve been sucking our butts for so long, we understand the permanent bad taste in your mouths, resultant halitosis and sour remarks.
    Real Steeler fans know that a bad year here and there or bad behavior from players will not mar the paint job on the Steeler image. We also know that NFL teams and knowledgeable fans recognize them as one of the league’s most stable franchises.
    Coach LeBeau personifies the Steeler’s tough blue collar work ethic and leadership by example. When you consider his outstanding playing career along with his stellar coaching accomplishments, there is no doubt in my mind that he will be remembered as a defensive genius and NFL legend. His tactics and schemes will be taught forever.

44. badthing says: Aug 4, 2010 9:48 PM

CKL says: August 3, 2010 12:03 PM
    Poo Flinging Monkey says:
    August 2, 2010 10:58 PM
    Well deserved!
    ____________________ ________________
    This.
    I’m a Pats fan, but I love that guy. What a class guy.
    ____________________________________
    I am not a Steeler fan but I do agree with you, he is a classy guy.