Madden believes that Favre's decision will hinge on his ankle

John Madden and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell have been visiting training camps, but most of the sound bites have come from the guy who has the keys to the NFL car.

Today, Madden had something to say about one of his favorite players.  And the Hall of Fame coach believes that, if Favre doesn’t play, it’s a bad ankle that will keep him out.

“This time I think it’s his ankle,” Madden said, per Matt Terl of Redskins.com.  “I really do.  I see where he’s gonna see the doctor in a day or two, and I think it’s probably — and, y’know, I’m guessing this — the ankle surgery probably hasn’t completed its recovery.   Say it’s 80%, I think the doctor’ll say ‘You’re 80% and within a month you’ll be back to 100%’ or ‘This is as good as you’re gonna get.’  I think that’s what he’s going through now.   I mean, it really, really is about an ankle.”

Madden’s speculation meshes with what we believe Brett’s preferred timetable to be.  He’d like to blow into camp in about 30 days or so, on Friday, September 3, and pick up where he left off, preparing for a Week 1 trip to New Orleans.

Then again, it could be that Favre already is a lot closer to 100 percent.  Otherwise, he wouldn’t be jumping up and down on the ankle like he did today at Oak Grove High School.

“[H]e always said, ‘I’m gonna play until I get hurt.’  And then if I ever get hurt and can’t play, y’know, that’s gonna be it,” Madden said.  “But as long as I feel healthy and can play, I’m gonna play.’  And that’s where he is.”

Boy, we wish it had been that simple.  Because if that were the case, Favre wouldn’t have said the following to Peter King eight years ago, at a time when Favre was only 32:  “I think about retirement a heck of a lot more than I used to. . . .  I miss home.”

Since then, it has been an annual back-and-forth question of will-he-or-won’t-he?  Many of us have gotten numb to it.

For us, well, it’s hard to complain too much.  Indeed, every time Favre’s name is mentioned, the cash register flies open, and somewhere an angel gets his wings.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
14 Responses to “Madden believes that Favre's decision will hinge on his ankle”
  1. ochostinko says: Aug 4, 2010 6:55 PM

Brilliant deduction, Mr. Madden. Well done.

2. Larry David says: Aug 4, 2010 6:57 PM

3. AlphaBean says: Aug 4, 2010 7:15 PM

“Can somebody explain to me why Favre waited until late May to get the ankle surgery? Shouldn’t he have done it asap after the Saints game?”
    Swelling? Attempting non-invasive rehab, ultrasound therapy etc. before being cut open? Contemplating retirement, which would have probably rendered the surgery unnecessary?
    Or maybe just timing it right for this very scenario to play out. Favre is a genius on a Shakespearean level.

4. Floriosadouchebag says: Aug 4, 2010 7:22 PM

it’s a shame Favre didn’t officially retire months ago. Then the Vikes could have traded for McNabb and been Super Bowl locks. Instead McNabb is in Washington and will haunt Philly and their front-running fans.

5. MACK DADDY says: Aug 4, 2010 7:31 PM

I wonder if madden has seen pics of Bretts cock?

6. Mike Rendahl says: Aug 4, 2010 7:52 PM

I can’t believe the questions these morons ask him, if I were Favre I’d be so annoyed…

7. scomibord says: Aug 4, 2010 7:52 PM

Bingo captain obvious!

8. numberfour says: Aug 4, 2010 8:10 PM

mike florio, assisnt angel-wing-attacher for bert favor

9. Johnnyb612 says: Aug 4, 2010 8:36 PM

Larry David says:
    August 4, 2010 6:57 PM
    ________________________________________
    Isn’t it obvious? This gives him the perfect excuse to keep sending pictures of his penis to young girls while he skips training camp.

10. Johnnyb612 says: Aug 4, 2010 8:51 PM

Larry David says:
    August 4, 2010 6:57 PM
    ________________________________________

11. Canyonero says: Aug 4, 2010 9:42 PM

I could even picture Madden’s idiot yellow pen circling Favre’s ankle as he was saying it..

12. NOLArules says: Aug 5, 2010 8:46 AM

Then the Vikes could have traded for McNabb and been Super Bowl locks.
    ———————————————–
    First, there is no such thing as locks for the superbowl. if there were, the cowboys would have been to the past three in the eyes of the media
    Second, are we talking about the same McNabb who, when healthy, spends his time under throwing receivers and such or the McNabb who spends half the season on the bench hurt?

13. CanadianVikingFan says: Aug 5, 2010 1:42 PM

John Madden, always stating the obvious, be it commentary, interviews, hell even in the video game.

14. Mason222 says: Aug 6, 2010 10:48 PM

Juggernaut Season Mabey 1-2 losses most likely undefeated 3rd Rookie oif the year in Toby Albino Rhino Honky Kong This will be the Best NFL Team Ever much like 85 Bears. They will Dominate!!!!