Santonio Holmes reports to camp "ready to go"

Jets receiver Santonio Holmes has reported to training camp after taking some time off to care for his son, and he says his first day went better than expected.

The first day was cool,” Holmes said. “I actually didn’t think I was going to be ready for it. I was doing a lot of traveling and a lot of family time and issues. I think it’s just a mental thing. I got back into the groove, I was ready to go. Coach had to pull me out of two-minute drill today because he was like ‘This is only your first day, you’re not fully in shape with the rest of the guys.’ So I had to watch myself a little bit, but the first day was great.”

Holmes’ son, an 8-year-old named Santonio III, recently had his spleen removed as a result of complications from sickle cell anemia.

“It was touching,” Holmes said. “Just knowing him being at the age of 8, having to deal with a surgery at that age, you kind of lose track of everything. I didn’t even think about football and all my attention was pulled towards him. I gave him all the support that he needed throughout the time.”

“We’re here to make plays and continue what we started back in OTAs and continue into training camp right now is a big start,” Holmes said. “It’s going to be fun.”

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
13 Responses to “Santonio Holmes reports to camp "ready to go"”
  1. svenhoek says: Aug 4, 2010 8:17 PM

“Holmes said he’s excited to be part of a wide receiver group that includes Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards and Laveranues Coles.”
    He would have to be high to get excited about that.

2. DanRooney says: Aug 4, 2010 8:27 PM

He was seen after practice smoking some doobie with Braylon

3. Calir says: Aug 4, 2010 8:35 PM

This guy would be such a pain in the behind if he didn’t have that 4 game suspension on his back. He’d be sitting with Revis pouting about a new contract.

4. sixburghrules says: Aug 4, 2010 9:17 PM

Well he will have a few (4) weeks to get in shape.What a dirt bag. Like so many Steeler trash he could have been a stellar receiver there. But he had to “wake n bake”

5. HellRelle24 says: Aug 4, 2010 9:49 PM

good for holmes…what a weapon this guy is gonna be…well come week 5

6. KoaMisiFan says: Aug 4, 2010 10:21 PM

I’ll say he’s going to be a big weapon. He’ll probably be right in the center of the big implosion!!!!!!

7. BigBenRapesDefenses says: Aug 4, 2010 10:31 PM

Holmes will be the next Ricky Williams. He can’t lay off the weed. He’ll fail another drug test soon and be gone for a full year. Mark my words.

8. Canyonero says: Aug 4, 2010 11:25 PM

Give him a break!! His son just had surgery! Christ, you PFT jagoffs are negative sons of bitches.

9. realityonetwo says: Aug 5, 2010 5:56 AM

Lighten up, Canyonero. Belated congrats on your son winning the Derby…

10. joey-pickles says: Aug 5, 2010 8:05 AM

Come in, play hard for 15-16 games (depending on playoff depth) and get yourself a new contract… unfortunately it probably just won’t be with this team.

11. KoaMisiFan says: Aug 5, 2010 8:34 AM

@BigBenRapesDefenses
    C’mon. At least Ricky straightened out his act and is a pretty classy guy. Actually, he always was. Just a little different. He never was a problem child or in the news for being a turd. He takes care of his kids. He was just a different kind of guy.

12. EverybodyGotAIDS says: Aug 5, 2010 8:55 AM

This family just can’t catch a break. The son has sickle cell anemia. The father has glaucoma or chronic pain or constant nausea (or all 3). I feel bad for them.

13. Hugh Jorgan says: Aug 6, 2010 2:51 PM

“C’mon. He’s just…well, different, Mannnn”.
    KoaMisiFan = Phins troller….with a no-holds-barred man-crush on Ricky Williams to boot!
    You reply to a post about a player in the NFL tending to his son post-surgery, and turn it into an attack on the TEAM he plays for. ???
    Don’t even try to deny your Jets jealousy. Your name is on all the Jets posts these days.
    Isn’t there a Phins post for you to haunt?