Leonard Little can't decide if he still wants to play

In June reports surfaced that free agent defensive end Leonard Little was leaning toward playing this season. But now it’s August, and Little isn’t in an NFL training camp, and he says he can’t decide if he wants to play or not.

“Sometimes I feel like I want to come back,” Little told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “Sometimes I feel like I don’t. It’s a hard decision to make when you’re used to playing football. I’ve been playing football since I was 5 years old.”

The 35-year-old Little isn’t the elite defensive end he once was, but he started 13 games for the Rams last season and recorded 6.5 sacks, and he’s good enough that some team would surely be willing to offer him a job as a situational pass rusher.

“There’s some teams interested,” Little said. “If I want to call ‘em and tell ‘em I’m ready to play, I think it’ll be a good chance I could join those specific teams. But I haven’t given anybody a definitive answer, so teams don’t know where I’m at right now.”

Little has played his entire 12-year career with the Rams and says the Rams are one of the interested teams. But he also acknowledged that there are still some people in St. Louis who have wanted him out of their community ever since he drove drunk and killed a woman named Susan Gutweiler in 1998.

“I know there are a lot of Rams fans that don’t even want to see me in a Rams uniform again,” Little said. “And I’ve got to keep that in mind, also, when making a decision. There’s people that want me to come back and there’s a lot of people that don’t want me to come back because I made some bad decisions in my career. And that’s understandable.”

But Little also hopes people can understand that he may decide he wants his career to go on at least one year longer.

“I’ve tried to isolate myself a little bit the last month or two, and just sit down and think about things,” Little said, “think about every possible scenario, and what I really want to do.”

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams
19 Responses to “Leonard Little can't decide if he still wants to play”
  1. ravensos says: Aug 5, 2010 10:53 AM

As long as he doesn’t go out for a drink to think it over.

2. numberfour says: Aug 5, 2010 10:56 AM

just what does this have to do with favre?

3. pats suck, blow and cheat* says: Aug 5, 2010 11:03 AM

Get this guy a job now, before he drinks and gets behind the wheel AGAIN

4. southFLAsteel says: Aug 5, 2010 11:09 AM

It would have been nice if he would have “isolated” himself about 12 years ago. Then those Gutweiler children would still have their mom.

5. Burning River says: Aug 5, 2010 11:16 AM

Usually, tragedies that are caused by these pro athletes are referred to as their “mistakes.”
    Leonard Little got it right this time. He, for one, admits to making some “bad decisions.” Hopefully, he has learned to use his head from now on.

6. mustbechris says: Aug 5, 2010 11:30 AM

the cynic in me says nobody’s interested and he’s trying to drum up interest…

7. D.R.Universal says: Aug 5, 2010 11:45 AM

Bad decisions?? No, Plaxico Burress made a bad decision my friend….
    Vick – Jail
    Plax – Jail
    Ben – 6 game suspension
    Pacman – year suspension
    Jolly – year suspension
    Henry – 8 game suspension
    just off the top of the head…i know there are more
    NONE of those players killed anyone yet received much tougher penalties….funny how these things work (and yes I know it was a different commissioner then so save the remarks)…I guess I’m just still PISSED that this guy is free to make millions of $$ after what he did INTENTIONALLY!!!

8. Wonka says: Aug 5, 2010 11:45 AM

Why not? The Ravens could use a 3rd murderer on the roster!

9. Ralph says: Aug 5, 2010 11:49 AM

he’s just trying get away with skipping camp, who does he think he is, Butt Farte?

10. CleanSlaton says: Aug 5, 2010 12:12 PM

although, if he retires, he won’t be able to get away with murder anymore.

11. Rewddawg1 says: Aug 5, 2010 12:17 PM

Little did spend about 18 mos. in jail. His rookie year didn’t start til the second year of his contract.

12. The Real Shuxion says: Aug 5, 2010 12:17 PM

Has he decided if he wants to help the rising population issues in America?

13. favrecansuckit says: Aug 5, 2010 12:53 PM

D.R.Universal says:
    August 5, 2010 11:45 AM
    ———————————————————I can assure you he didn’t have a plan in his mind to get hammered, get behind the wheel, run into Susan Gutweiler and kill her. He didn’t do it ” INTENTIONALLY!!!”, as you put it. Pretty sure premeditated vehicular manslaughter of strangers is pretty rare, much less in his case. Same situation as Stallworth, only he served less time.

14. Steeler79 says: Aug 5, 2010 12:53 PM

“Little got busted TWICE for drunk driving, the second time killing that lady…ANY JAIL TIME FOR HIM?? NOPE…”
    You’re just making stuff up now, he only got busted for drunk driving once, and killed the woman that time.
    I read an article last year where he talked about almost killing himself after it happened but said he didn’t because of the two kids he had
    Leonard Little made an awful decision but I wonder how many of the people here that have this mock outrage have driven drunk when they were 22 years old?

15. The Real Shuxion says: Aug 5, 2010 1:16 PM

# Steeler79 says: August 5, 2010 12:53 PM
    ——————————————————
    You make a good point, although I have only drank once when I was 16 (Not proud of that) and hated the taste so never drank again. I am not preaching, I’m just saying that I am not in the group you are talking about.
    I will demonize him for what he did, that is part of his punishment for what he did and he will and should have to live with that for the rest of his days until he meets her in the next life and asks for forgiveness.

16. technoboy says: Aug 5, 2010 1:25 PM

17. heartstl says: Aug 5, 2010 2:04 PM

The second DUI he was acquitted on because the two officers at the scene had different stories and one testified that he didn’t look drunk.

18. Steeler79 says: Aug 5, 2010 3:18 PM

“The first DWI resulted in the death… But he also had a second DWI or DUI that kind of got swept under the rug.”
    As the guy above me said, he didn’t get convicted. One officer actually testified against his partner as well as two others at the scene, it seemed like the cop who made the arrest was trying to be a vigilante.
    One other thing I forgot to correct that other guy about, Little did spend time in jail.

19. Hollywood26 says: Aug 5, 2010 3:29 PM

So if someone commits a crime in 1998 he should still be castigated for it in 2010? Seems like an awfully long sentence. I know he killed someone, but has he made amends with the family? Is the family still wanting further justice? If not, then why are random fans sitting as judge and jury?
    if once you have committed a crime there is no redemption then we should dispense with sentencing all together. Everything seems to have a life sentence in the mind of some so why not make it official?