The old Emmitt Smith returns

On Saturday night, Emmitt Smith delivered perhaps the most stirring, emotional speech of the Hall of Fame ceremonies while the PFT liveblog commenters waited in vain for something to get “debacled.”

It was an amazing performance we won’t soon forget, but the old Emmitt returned a night later.

We’ll let you watch and catch the gaffe(s).

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
45 Responses to “The old Emmitt Smith returns”
  1. steelers rule says: Aug 8, 2010 10:56 PM

1. Who is Mike at 47 sec mark?
    2. Florider nation at 1:43 mark and Urban Myer coached him at Florida?
    3. State of Dallas at 3:00 mark?
    Typical SEC graduate!

2. ganggreenguido says: Aug 8, 2010 10:57 PM

the state of dallas the country of texas the world of the united states.
    NBC should have a show, ” Are you smarter and more coherent then Emmitt Smith”?

3. BigBear123 says: Aug 8, 2010 10:58 PM

University of Florida and Coach Urban Meyer.
    Nice snub to Spurrier.

4. Thunderbolt says: Aug 8, 2010 11:02 PM

I’ll be sure to pay him a visit next time I’m in the State of Dallas.

5. SayWhatDude says: Aug 8, 2010 11:03 PM

State of Dallas?
    Forgotten…
    Brennan least…ahhhhh

6. mission says: Aug 8, 2010 11:04 PM

obvious gator.

7. Bart says: Aug 8, 2010 11:05 PM

Well Mike– umm Emmitt it is AL..

8. Josh Br says: Aug 8, 2010 11:05 PM

Emmit is certainaly gettin’ mah vote for the gove’or of Dalls. He the mos’ elocant speaker I have eva saw sound. Congratlations on makin’ the Pro Foosball Holl of Famer.

9. bogmon says: Aug 8, 2010 11:08 PM

It must be something about having that camera up on his face. When he is in open space Emmitt seems to do pretty well.
    That speech last night was pretty great. I’ll give him a pass for a little while after that one….
    Sure as hell beat Michael Jordan’s speech from a year ago…damn, that one still blows my mind.

10. footballisfun says: Aug 8, 2010 11:21 PM

He corrected himself immediately after the “state of Dallas” comment. That’s something that would happen to anyone who is speaking on the radio or tv enough in the past couple of hours who is not used to speaking. How many interviews do you think he gave on Sunday.
    The Urban Meyer reference over going with any of the coaches he had was telling. I don’t remember what his relationship with Coach Hall was like.
    To BigBear123, it wasn’t a snub there on Spurrier, the whole leaving school early was the snub to Spurrier. Right when Spurrier was announced as coach of the Gators, Smith decided to leave early.
    I do just love Al Michaels’ look though when Emmitt calls him Mike

11. .Vox Veritas. says: Aug 8, 2010 11:22 PM

If it had been the “old” Emmitt he’d have said nothing and just run over Carlton Bailey, Monte Coleman and Seth Joyner for a game-winning TD one more time. Each.

12. Tim Tebow's Prayers says: Aug 8, 2010 11:24 PM

I’m not a huge Emmitt fan, but that was heartfelt and good. You guys are fishing (per usual) with this headline.

13. smootysmoot says: Aug 8, 2010 11:24 PM

Emmitt did do sooo much for the State of Dallas! Dude should never talk again.

14. PackFaninPackLand says: Aug 8, 2010 11:30 PM

That was a great rip on Obama with the “no TelePrompter” line by Al Michaels.
    I watched Obama once have to use a TelePrompter for a 15 second introduction for the Gov. of Kansas. What a goof.
    Way to go Al … I mean Mike !!!!

15. Marcinik07 says: Aug 8, 2010 11:42 PM

LOL grammar 101

16. Marcinik07 says: Aug 8, 2010 11:43 PM

Michael Jordan’s speech had to be the most arrogant sports speech I ever heard

17. AbeFreshly says: Aug 8, 2010 11:46 PM

C’mon guys. No notes. No teleprompter. 24 minutes long. That was impressive.
    “Gator Nation”, though=GAFFE. Everyone knows there is only one, true, original “NATION”, ‘Mike'(?) Michaels.

18. OJPimpson says: Aug 8, 2010 11:52 PM

Haha I knew this subject was coming after watching this on TV

19. Cushing Will Kill You says: Aug 8, 2010 11:53 PM

Maybe he thought he was being interviewed by Mike Alchaels.

20. DallasFan in NY says: Aug 8, 2010 11:56 PM

LMAO Josh!!!

21. steelers rule says: Aug 9, 2010 12:26 AM

Why do Cowpoke and Gator fans making excuses for Emmit? He messed up on TV, ACCEPT IT! Has for he is not use to this, THAT IS WHY HE WAS FIRED FROM ESPN! HE SUCKS AT BROADCASTING! If Emmit was a Redskin, Cowgirl fan woudl be ripping him!

22. davidc45629 says: Aug 9, 2010 12:28 AM

In 100 years none of you losers will remembered. have your fun.

23. Cup says: Aug 9, 2010 12:33 AM

Eh, coming from a guy with a radio background…. I saw this stuff everyday. Once a microphone is put in someones face, they can forget stuff or say a wrong word. So Emmitt is not the most impressive person in front of the camera. Great speach to finalize a GREAT career.
    I loved and hated Emmitt as a player. Being a Steeler fan I had to hate him, but as a football fan I loved the way he played and the attitude he always had about playing…. Except the Cardinals experiment lol…

24. REGGIEBUSH says: Aug 9, 2010 12:53 AM

Remember Emmitt, a zebra has spots and a leopard has stripes.

25. downsouth49er says: Aug 9, 2010 1:05 AM

Rosenthal I know you aren’t making fun of someone messing up!!! No one makes more mistakes when writing an article than you do. Every article you post has spelling and grammatical errors and once I see those I say, “self (and myself say huh) this is a Rosenthal article isn’t it?” I scroll back to the top and BAM, there it is, Rosenthal.

26. giantsfan23 says: Aug 9, 2010 1:30 AM

not trying to in any way shape or form stick up for this guy that wrecked the early years of my football life… but i personally think its hilarious when he messes stuff up with names and words.
    In all seriousness anyone think this guy might have taken a few too many shots to the head?
    Ever hear old boxers talk try joe louis its pretty hard.
    Im pretty sure this guy has some major brain damage issues. Im not a neurologist or anything but sure seems like that could be at issue.
    Then again his stuff at espn could simply be dyslexia or the guy can’t read off of a prompter.
    Or he could just be a bit feeble minded.
    the mysterious emmit smith – id like to hear him say that

27. thunkened says: Aug 9, 2010 1:55 AM

Quit being such a jew! He accomplished things in life you never will! I bet a rickety boned Jew like you can’t even jump up a curb without fracturing your tibula!

28. Love_Boat_Scandal says: Aug 9, 2010 6:48 AM

Um, he corrected himself right away. Pretty emotional night for the guy. I’m not a Cowboys or Emmit Smith fan, but, geez Florio, lay off. Just because you’ll never get that kind of recognition for your achievements….

29. Maximus says: Aug 9, 2010 7:01 AM

You know Mike, you always make a big deal out of Emmitt’s language. And yes his speech is definitely ‘street’ oriented.
    But there is something very genial, likable about him which is the opposite reaction people have when the watch you talk in your videos.
    So you want to attack Emmitt mercilessly, then take a look in the mirror. You’re a sports reporter. A critic. Neither of which are held in high esteem these days. Neither of which are really very difficult.
    Emmitt Smith was one of the best football players ever to play the game. And one of the toughest. You’re attitude towards Smith is shameful. Just because you can weasel your way into the big world of professional sports broadcasting, doesn’t mean your anything more than the small man we see in your videos, and you see in the mirror every morning.
    I’m guessing you never actually played football, or if you did, you never played. Seems like it would have taken one hit to rock your world.

30. steelerfan9598 says: Aug 9, 2010 7:12 AM

I still can’t believe this is the same guy who gave that speech. Mike? Watching it, I was thinking “What the hell?”

31. 1072 says: Aug 9, 2010 7:50 AM

You sure “Mike” isn’t a nickname for Michaels?

32. Spyder Monkey says: Aug 9, 2010 8:06 AM

I’m already planning my induction speech for The Hall of Fame of life.

33. DG0122 says: Aug 9, 2010 8:30 AM

He will try a run at politics some day, and that interview with his buddy Mike was his first audition

34. sacdaddy says: Aug 9, 2010 9:04 AM

Not a ‘boys fan by any means, but Emmitt is a class act and always has been. Congrats.

35. ejtowne says: Aug 9, 2010 9:05 AM

Wow, Calling Al Michaels mike, how do you mess his name up? One of the greatest sportscasters ever. Well if anyone can do it Emmitt can. If I was Al, I would of “accidentally” called him Barry or Thurman. That would of gotten Emmitt going.

36. thepuretruth says: Aug 9, 2010 9:15 AM

@ maximus
    Emmit would be a nobody if he did not have that offensive line. He also should thank his lucky stars that Barry Sanders retired when he did. Walter Payton proved what he was made of with hard earned yards, no one can deny that.
    I don’t take anything away from him having the rushing title, but listening to people talk about him like he was the best ever makes me sick. Emmit Smith earned 75% of his yards, the rest were handed to him.
    If Emmit is going to be on national TV, he should learn to talk correctly so that all people can understand him. This has always been a sore spot with me since his commercials with Power-aid. Learn to talk effectively if you are going to be in the spotlight.

37. rickah888 says: Aug 9, 2010 9:19 AM

Spoken like a true Cowboy from the state of Dallas!
    Steers & Queers!!

38. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Aug 9, 2010 9:21 AM

did anyone else see Jerry Rice flick off the camera?

39. BasicInstinct says: Aug 9, 2010 9:30 AM

I tried to watch but had to sit through 4 commercials. I hope you guys are getting some of that money. Annoying ……

40. tatum32 says: Aug 9, 2010 9:41 AM

Great speech and great class of 2010. Minus style points for T.O. even commenting “Its not my fault” about his Dallas release during this special time.

41. yem123 says: Aug 9, 2010 9:49 AM

you totally stole “debacled” from Walter…

42. gr8fully says: Aug 9, 2010 9:51 AM

As a skins fan I hate all things Dallas, but give the devil his due, Emmit went to the HOF because of how he played, not how he speaks. The guy was a great back, and again I’m no fan of anything from Big D but the triplets made the hall because of each other and they deserve to be there.

43. BigBlueDeadHead says: Aug 9, 2010 10:22 AM

Thought it was fine. What are you talking about. Funny part was he thinks he can “bless” people with his words. LOL.

44. drink22 says: Aug 9, 2010 10:27 AM

@thepuretruth
    Well, if you only give him 75% of the yds then he’s left with almost 14k, not 2 bad and you’re right he didn’t earn any hard yds, like when he dislocated his shoulder against the Giants and carried Dallas to victory. Yeah, he sucks..you need to separate your hatred of the way he speaks versus his accomplishments as a player.

45. Adam-Chris Schefterson says: Aug 9, 2010 11:58 AM

thunkened says:
    August 9, 2010 1:55 AM
    ——————
    Fracturing your tibula? That’s a new one.