On one hand, the efforts of Texans owner Bob McNair to intervene in the suspension of linebacker Brian Cushing puts the league office in a very tough spot.  On the other hand, McNair possibly has gone a long way toward shedding the perception that he’s a union-busting owner who hopes to crush the players at the bargaining table.

“It means a lot,” Cushing said.  “That’s the kind of owner you really want to play for. . . .  I couldn’t be playing anywhere better in the world that supports me like this.”

And so McNair has won over in advance of the looming labor fight one of the present and future leaders of his defense.

Cushing also talked about the latest excuse being articulated to explain his confirmed violation of the steroids policy, so-called “overtrained athlete syndrome.”

“I think that’s the final diagnosis we came up with, and a lot of doctors have supported why this has happened,” Cushing said.  He then explained the phenomenon with one of the all time great tells exhibited by someone who may not be telling the truth.  While explaining the alleged diagnosis and its supposed effect on hCG levels, Cushing stops and clears his throat.

If you don’t believe us, watch the video.

Cushing also claims as to the “overtrained athlete syndrome” contention that he has “the science to back it up,” and that it goes beyond “the regular medical doctor.”

That’s fine.  But why not present the evidence for public scrutiny?  Absent something more than sound bites and official-sounding diagnoses, give us hard facts.  Otherwise, take your medicine and quit trying to convince us that you didn’t cheat.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
31 Responses to “McNair's gesture scores points with Cushing, who continues to score no points with us”
  1. SeriousRadio says: Aug 9, 2010 7:25 PM

I’d like to see McNair and Jerry Jones in a Tall Tale competition. Jones must be rolling his eyes over McNair’s latest Chitstorm. Now that the commissioner has seen the Texans’ defense for cheating, Texan players might expect a lot more random tests. Maybe US Customs will be alerted to look for roster names as they return from Mexico with a trunkfull of HGH.

2. Mr. Lagoo says: Aug 9, 2010 7:32 PM

Hey, Florio, tell me why we need unions? There may have been a need for them 100 years ago, but now all unions are just a drag on society. SEIU, UAW – these are crooks that have screwed up this country (don’t get me wrong, they are not the only reason – but their entitlement mentality is a major reason we are in our current condition). Also, the majority of the people that work in these areas are good people, it’s the leaders and politicians of these unions…they are NOT NEEDED. Companies cannot get away with the types of things they use to “pull over” on their employees…their are too many laws and regulations now, and there people are more informed (for the most part) and know their rights.

3. DaVikes says: Aug 9, 2010 7:33 PM

Cushing won’t be one of the “future leaders of his defense” after he shrinks 20 or 30 lbs. He’ll be begging not to be traded just like Shawn M.

4. purplepuzzyeatrz says: Aug 9, 2010 7:36 PM

A GOOD READ!!!
    “OPTIMUM SPORTS NUTRITION” BY , DR. MICHAEL COLGAN.
    HE HAS BEEN A SPORTS MEDICINE DOCTOR FOR YEARS. IT IS A PROVEN FACT THAT IN THE NFL. NBA, AND IN THE MLB THAT 90% PLUS OF THE PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES ARE TAKING 1 PERFORMANCE ENHANCING DRUG OR ANOTHER.
    IT STARTS IN HIGH SCHOOL, THEN TRAILS THEM ALL THROUGH COLLEGE AND IS A STAPLE IN THE PROS.
    LETS NOT ALL CLOSE OUR EYES AND PRETEND THAT ALMOST ALL OF THESE GUYS ARE “JUICING”. DONT INSULT OUR INTELLIGENCE , PLEASE.
    PERSON A . BREAKS HIS LEG WHILE FALLING ON ICE. TEARS HIS ACL, MCL. PERSON A IS IN A CAST FOR 6 MONTHS AND REHABS, FOR ANOTHER 4.
    PERSON B. A PRO ATHLETE, WITH ALL THE AVAILABLE DOCTORS & DRUGS. PERSON B, REHAB TIME , 6 WEEKS IN A CAST, AND 4 MONTHS OF REHAB, BACK IN GAME 1 OF THE REGUALR SEASON.
    WOW, LETS REALLY NOT PLAY COY, ITS THE JUICE THAT GETS THEIR MUSCLES LOOSE!!!!!!

5. antneejay2 says: Aug 9, 2010 7:39 PM

The malady “overtrained athlete syndrome” probably sounds foreign to most fans, who know it by its scientific name, ” overchoked chicken syndrome”.

6. manofaiki says: Aug 9, 2010 7:43 PM

Lots of athlete’s have tried this ‘overtraining’ excuse. Sean Sherk, an MMA fighter tried to explain away his having a nandrolone level of 12 nanograms per milliliter of urine by saying “I trained really REALLY hard.”
    Since it’s a fact that the normal human level of nandro is .01 ng/ml, and the Olympic testing level cut off for men is 2.0 ng/ml, as is most testing organizations, that’s a pretty healthy cut off limit.
    2.0 ng was WAY above what a human body will naturally produce, so the testers gave themselves PLENTY of room for error.
    On a cycle of nandrolone as a steroid, you have to get your level up to around 30 ng/ml. So Sherk had ended his cycle and was tested earlier than he thought he would be.
    And yet he tried to get the athletic commision and the UFC to buy this argument that his body produced 12o TIMES the normal level of nandrolone because he worked out ‘really, really hard’. He NEVER denied the test was accurate; he claimed the tested that high because of his training regimen.
    I don’t think Cushing and McNair have any more success getting Goodell to buy this than Sherk did the UFC.

7. Occam says: Aug 9, 2010 7:52 PM

“Cushing also claims as to the “overtrained athlete syndrome” contention that he has “the science to back it up,””
    Ahhhhh, he’s a Creationist.

8. MrHumble says: Aug 9, 2010 7:52 PM

“I think that’s the final diagnosis we came up with”……………………………hey, it stands to reason that if you are going to self-medicate that you would be qualified to make a “self-diagnosis”…….cushing is a real laughable turd.

9. Cushing Will Kill You says: Aug 9, 2010 7:54 PM

Wow, so that’s how you feel about the issue, Florio. I couldn’t tell from the other seven hundred posts you’ve published about this particular subject.

10. BenRapistberger says: Aug 9, 2010 7:54 PM

So he cleared his throat. He must be guilty. No wonder you didn’t make it as a lawyer.

11. Doug O says: Aug 9, 2010 7:57 PM

Florio why isn’t the media calling BS to Cushings face?

12. Route36West says: Aug 9, 2010 8:02 PM

Hes so full of it and I know this because I have done the same thing.
    When I was 18 I got on probation but didnt stop smoking so I would dilute my urine samples by drinking lots of water and that would make you fail but stop the drugs from showing up. It would lower your creatine levels and thats how they would know its diluted.
    So to stop my self from failing and getting violated on probation i went to the doctors. I had them check my kidneys and made up excuses about my side hurting. They ran all kind of tests and came up with some off the wall diagnosis. So I brought it back to my probation officer.
    I knew the diagnosis was complete bs because I was doing to myself. But going to the doctor did its purpose. I brought the findings back to my p.o. and they couldnt fail me anymore for diluted samples. Even though she probably didnt believe it either she had no choice. So I continued to smoke weed and drink tons of water before every drug test and passed everyone.
    Brian just because you got a doctor to go along with your dumbass idea doesnt mean its really what happened. I knew I was full of crap and so do you. I just dont get why you keep bringing it up. Once I came up with my excuse I let it go and life went on. You should have did the same thing months ago. I forgot you even failed your test but your dumbass keeps reminding me that you did.
    I hope this guys brain isnt so fried from all the juice that he cant realize when its time to let it go.

13. footballseason! says: Aug 9, 2010 8:08 PM

Players can take HGH without getting caught because the league doesn’t test for it….even though it is banned. And with NFL player kind of money, you don’t buy cheap garbage from Mexico.
    If there is a medical explanation to Cushing’s positive test, it deserves investigation. At least the league office is listening. If he is innocent, which not a single one of us know one way or the other… then I hope he isn’t punished!
    I’m glad he has an owner that is listening to him.

14. comment_submission_error says: Aug 9, 2010 8:39 PM

You can believe Cushing, or you can watch tape from last season. The guy had crazy eyes. He looked like Bill Romanowski out there.

15. heysharpshooter says: Aug 9, 2010 8:47 PM

I mean really, if this is any evidence Florio has it out for Cushing, this is it. Its becoming pathetic.
    Your a so called “journalist”, act like one. You are clearly showing a huge bais against this kid. And its your own fault…
    I wonder if Florio thinks this lowly of guys like Julius Peppers and Franco Harris… if he does, he surely doesn’t show it. I mean, you basically said you believed Gerald McGrath when he said it was a “supplement”, and haven’t brought it up since.
    BTW, Florio, 80% of the NFL is on roids. Men don’t balloon to 400 pounds in the off season and then lose 70 pounds and get shredded in 2 months. Its not possible without some “supplements”

16. Florio-is-a-tool says: Aug 9, 2010 8:55 PM

Well purplepuzzyeatrz writes in all caps so that clearly means he’s a sincere idiot or (most likely) he douches more than Owens.

17. azredbird4 says: Aug 9, 2010 9:28 PM

OH NO!!!!! Cushing is catching the rath of Florio…Hey lawyer, what is with you? You go on something called the Dan Patrick show and you think you can throw your weight ( 140# soaking wet? ) around? Get over yourself Napolean…

18. TheWizard says: Aug 9, 2010 9:29 PM

Ahhhhh, he’s a Creationist.
    I doubt he has the brainpower to arrive at that.

19. CleanSlaton says: Aug 9, 2010 9:53 PM

Of course he did it, Florio. Answer me this though: is it the fan in you that has adopted the task of the Cushing Inquisition, or is it the envious, sanctimonious nerd in you that despises Cushing for grabbing fame, glory, money, and hot women–aided by PED’s?
    a true [unbiased, as you’re supposed to be] fan would’ve dropped it by now. The microscope on Cushing is much more scrutinizing now. LET IT GO. If it happens again, I guarantee all of the Texans fans will be on your side. Until then, you’re just a whiny toolbag, unwittingly exposing his insecurities.

20. pancake 14 says: Aug 9, 2010 10:03 PM

this is such typical brian cushing nonsense… just like when he was a “student’ at bergen catholic and added 40lbs of muscle in one year… he was a fraud then and all of his teammates knew it..as did his coaches at BC…. i doubt the league will fall for this BS… get hold of some of his HS pics from soph to junior year…

21. phillyfinsfan says: Aug 9, 2010 10:39 PM

And we’re still waiting for Shawn Merriman’s lawsuit against the supplement company that spiked his whey protein. lol I do respect Rodney Harrison for coming out and telling the truth of why he took steroids. These other clowns need to grow a set and just be honest for once in their lives.

22. acers says: Aug 9, 2010 11:03 PM

Yo CleanSlaton/heysharpshooter/and ALL Cushing apologists:
    Are you guys for real?? I mean, do you REALLY believe Cushings’s “I really worked out real hard!” comeback??
    Really? Gee, that goes for about 2,ooo other NFL players, especially now in training camps……trust me….most are “working real hard!”
    YOU GOT CAUGHT AND YOU ARE IN DENIAL!!!
    It’s not Florio’s fault…..for the love, I could care less about Cushing and the Texans, but ANYONE who believes in the Cushing tale still believes in Santa, mermaids, the tooth fairy, and unicorns!
    Read Route36West’s self-account of just one method he used to beat the tests……HE KNOWS CUSHING IS FULL OF IT ALONG WITH ANYTHING THE GUY SAYS…..as do 95% of those that are versed on the Cushing scandal.
    Cushing just needs to do his 4 games and shut up……he’s starting to sound like Mark Schmura!!!! I just don’t know who is more of an “idiot”. I guess Schmura and Cushing are about the same brainless “morons” we all suspect they are.

23. EShine says: Aug 9, 2010 11:06 PM

“I think that’s the final diagnosis we came up with, and a lot of doctors have supported why this has happened”
    So he and his team developed this ‘diagnosis’ and they took it to Dr. Nick, who responded with: “Hey, did you go to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College too?”
    Bash Florio all you want, but Cushing is a joke and a liar.

24. dwheel says: Aug 10, 2010 12:12 AM

Houston chronicle
    Pretend you’re Goodell for a minute: He’s heard every excuse from players who have tested positive. He’s heard every hard-luck story. The bottom line is that players will do anything to get a leg up, and when they get caught, few admit the truth. So no way he’s going to change his mind on Cushing even though he has reduced suspensions and fines.
    Now, pretend you’re Cushing: You’re telling the truth. You didn’t do it. You’ve got a pituitary issue, and hCG can be produced in the pituitary gland. Because you didn’t inject it or rub it, and you are, indeed, clueless about how it got into your body, there could be another positive test. And you’d be gone for a season. You’ve got to do everything possible to prove your innocence no matter how much it costs.

25. contract says: Aug 10, 2010 1:19 AM

“Companies cannot get away with the types of things they use to “pull over” on their employees.”
    Sure they can … they just do it to workers in other countries and then ship the products back here for sale.

26. ijr213 says: Aug 10, 2010 1:22 AM

A few things:
    1. This is Brian Cushing’s third excuse. Excuse 1 was someone injected him. Excuse 2 was he might have a tumor (a slap in the face of anybody affected by cancer). Now he’s saying that he worked out too hard.
    2. Excuse 3 has come many, many weeks after his suspension and excuses 1 and 2. Fishy.
    3. How come this hasn’t affected anyone else before? I would suspect that an Olympic athlete would have had this issue before. Or there’d be some study. Something.
    4. In order for this to be true, Cushing had to have worked out so hard, then immediately stopped. And everyone knows that unless your name is Jamarcus Russell, you don’t stop training.
    5. Test him at the end of the season. If he doesn’t have the same issue, he’s guilty. If his body did this once, it will do it again. Plain and simple.
    6. Anyone who thinks Mike Florio when he is writing in this blog, (yes, this is a blog) is a complete fool. When he writes for SI or for NBC sports, then yes. But Pro Football talk is a blog. Thus he can say and do whatever he wants without journalistic integrity. That’s how blogs work.

27. Shinywalrus says: Aug 10, 2010 8:50 AM

Why is it always about you, Florio? Basically, the only mistake anyone can make is NOT giving the press information.
    Run over someone while drunk? Could happen to anyone!
    Racist bigot? Who hasn’t been there at some point!
    Don’t give the media 100% of every bit of information possible? WORST. CRIME. EVER.
    I mean, you could create a “Best of Florio complaining about the plight of the media vis-a-vis access to player information” book and sell it from the PFT shop, for God’s sake!

28. majorlots says: Aug 10, 2010 9:48 AM

i don’t understand the florio-bashing on this, as if florio is dragging up sh!t on the guy. cushing is making cushing look like a guilty jerk. he’s done it on his own all off-season with different stories, some bs cancer scare and excuses that he has put out there.
    this is very common in the nfl…with other players, most would forget about this kind of thing a year down the road. but this guy is doing a great job at convincing the world that he is guilty, that he is hiding something, and that he already has a built-in excuse for when he gets caught again. what a d!ck

29. manofaiki says: Aug 10, 2010 8:23 PM

Florio is not a journalist and never pretended to be.
    He’s a commentator. He gives his OPINION on news OTHER people report.
    How long have some of you been here without figuring this out?
    He’s no more a journalist about sports news than Ann Coulter is about political news. He tells you his opinion and gives his take on the NFL news of the day.

30. devilalum says: Aug 11, 2010 7:49 PM

Bottom line is Cushing has been on PED’s on and off since the end of High School and it’s been pretty well documented by former high school teammates at Bergen Catholic in NJ. He also has some of the worst gynecomastia in professional sports. I guess you get Gyno from overtraining as well. Or maybe it is a symptom if you “think you might have cancer.” I understand why he is lying, but these excuses are only making him look more guilty. And by the way, he is.

31. vgferenzi says: Aug 11, 2010 8:30 PM

Some people in here have a complete lack of understanding about subjects they are willing to be “experts” about. Diluting your urine to fool your p.o. is not “the same thing.” Not that admitted drug using ex-cons are a general source for scientific expertise or honesty.
    While I agree that PED’s are a problem across a variety of settings, stating that it is “a proven fact” that “90%” of all athletes take PED’s is ridiculous. You are playing fast and loose with the terms PROVEN, and FACT.
    The fact is that OAS is real. Can it cause hCG levels to be elevated? I don’t know. I do know that OAS occurs when the body can no longer physically adapt do to excessive overload for a prolonged period of time. When this happens the body’s physiology can be unpredictable as it tries to “reset” or reache homeostasis. hCG resets the testosterone cycle, is it possible that this could have happened? I don’t know I have not been able to find any research on it, but as of yet all I have heard from most people is garbage science “proving” that he is guilty, that I know is wrong.