Gotta admit: I’m a total sucker for official depth charts released in training camp. That’s especially true when The Mastermind is up to his old Shanahanigans.
A few highlights from the first official Redskins depth chart:
1. Willie Parker is a fourth-stringer, behind Ryan Torain. Barring injuries in front of him, we doubt Parker makes the team.
2. 38-year old Joey Galloway, who has caught 20 passes combined over the last two years, is listed first at one receiver spot. Roydell Williams and Anthony Armstrong are second-teamers, while 2008 second round picks Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly are on the third string.
While we don’t expect both Thomas and Kelly to make the team, Mike Shanahan could be playing some mind games here. Wake up call time for the young guys.
3. Albert Haynesworth is listed as a second-string nose tackle. He’ll start soon enough, but the Redskins are showing who’s boss by keeping Haynesworth at nose tackle.
4. Long-time Redskin Philip Daniels is listed behind Adam Carriker at defensive end.
5. Kareem Moore is the early winner of the team’s free safety battle.