Haden says Bush didn't apologize

We knew when reading the USA Today article in which USC A.D. Pat Haden said that Saints running back Reggie Bush apologized for the problems he caused for the school’s football program that somehow, some way, someone would claim that a misquote had occurred.

For now, it appears that Haden merely disagrees with the characterization of his explanation as an apology from Bush.  “Never
did he say I’m sorry or I apologize
,” Haden said, per the Los Angeles Times (via CFT). “Never did he
say, ‘I lied to the NCAA or I took stuff.’

“I would say it was conversation of him being contrite, not an apology.”

Sheesh.  Now we know what Haden has done with all the hairs he has lost over the years; he has been practicing splitting them.

Apology, contrition, regret, whatever.  Bush feels bad — as he should — because he got paid by multiple would-be marketing agents, he stiffed one of them when he hired the other, and then he squandered multiple opportunities to make it right with the would-be marketing agents whom he essentially robbed.  (And if you think that’s too strong, why did Reggie settle the lawsuits filed by Michael Michaels and Lloyd Lake?)

Meanwhile, Haden has made no effort to clarify or correct any of his specific quotes, including the one in which Bush said he’d give back the Heisman, if he could.  Instead, it appears that Haden merely has pointed out his disagreement with the notion that Bush apologized, a word Haden apparently never used when talking to USA Today.

Even if Haden’s point is accurate that Bush never used the words “sorry” or “apology” or “my bad” or “did I do that?”, the overriding message of the story hasn’t changed.  And Haden has succeeded in giving legs to a story that does nothing to help USC or Bush.

Given that USC has been ordered to shun Bush, it probably makes sense for Haden to say less, not more, about the conversation.  And Haden seems to realize that.

“When we say we have to disassociate ourselves, I didn’t know if I could
talk to him or even listen to him,” Haden said.  “It was basically just a
conversation about him feeling bad about what he put the university
through.”

It’s a good thing Haden was a Rhodes Scholar.  Otherwise, he could do or say something really stupid in situations like this.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Haden says Bush didn't apologize”
  1. Blackn'Gold says: Aug 13, 2010 6:48 PM

So what if he’s sorry?! Like he cared in the first place. If he had originally paid back his supporters which he was too cheap to do then none of this would have happened. He has no sense of responsibility to the people around him that have supported him. I wish misfortune for him this season.
    GO STEELERS!

2. OJ SIMPSON says: Aug 13, 2010 6:50 PM

New York Jets were 7-7 going into the final 2 regular season games of last year. Remember how those final 2 games went. Peyton sat out and the Bengals bungaled. How the hell does that sort or record merit them Superb Owl contenders?

3. Maddenboy says: Aug 13, 2010 6:56 PM

Its pretty simple.
    Apology = admission of guilt.
    So, Haden has to say that Bush didn’t “apologize.”
    Sheesh.

4. geeeeemen says: Aug 13, 2010 7:00 PM

Wait a second… A guy’s name is Michael Michaels? Hahaha

5. Occam says: Aug 13, 2010 7:00 PM

“Ok. Ok. I’m sorry I ate your fish. OK????”

6. T-Bone says: Aug 13, 2010 7:03 PM

“Sheesh. Now we know what Haden has done with all the hairs he has lost over the years; he has been practicing splitting them.”
    Really… with blood sucking media everywhere who just wants a sensational story.. why worry about small stuff like that.

7. T-Bone says: Aug 13, 2010 7:05 PM

“Even if Haden’s point is accurate that Bush never used the words “sorry” or “apology” or “my bad” or “did I do that?”, the overriding message of the story hasn’t changed. And Haden has succeeded in giving legs to a story that does nothing to help USC or Bush.”
    OH
    MY
    GOSH
    Haden has succeeded in giving this story legs?!?!?!
    wow.. just wow.

8. trojanfan365 says: Aug 13, 2010 7:14 PM

obviously by my username one can see that i’m a USC fan, but i hope that even the non trojan fan may notice how many damn reggie bush slamming articles are put up on this website. i understand that the corporate college otherwise known as notre dame is more than affiliated with nbc but there are far too many things happening in the world of NFL other than viewing something that pertains more to the collegefootballtalk such as this article. i respect and enjoy this website a whole lot, but it has become troublesome that bush’s college days are talked about so damn much man. keep the breaking news and analysis coming and cut the bias opinions already. 27 days till kickoff!!

9. Nate is Gay for Brady says: Aug 13, 2010 7:17 PM

What does anything have to do with BrINT Farv-rah?

10. BleedingSilverAndBlack says: Aug 13, 2010 7:20 PM

Who cares what Bush did. It’s way in the past already.

11. jimmy_b says: Aug 13, 2010 8:11 PM

Who cares? USC and Reggie Bush are interchangeable to me. They are both the lowest form of human life that I can think of.

12. azredbird4 says: Aug 13, 2010 8:11 PM

florio you are a bore

13. stabkoff says: Aug 13, 2010 8:22 PM

Bush = Liar and cheat.

14. Kay Bee says: Aug 13, 2010 8:24 PM

Blackn’Gold says:
    August 13, 2010 6:48 PM
    I wish misfortune for him this season.
    ————————————————–
    What type of misfortune? Roethlisberger-type misfortune?

15. TryTheVeal says: Aug 13, 2010 8:28 PM

Regie Bust is the exact same thing in the NFL as he was in college……An overpayed overhyped modern day athlete…

16. vasaints says: Aug 13, 2010 8:38 PM

Leave Bushman alone. The NCAA and USC should get of their high horses. Bush put lots of $$$$$$$$$$ into their pockets. One hit and his care was over. get over it people. anyone with his God given talent would do the same too for himself and his family. football is a violent sport.

17. Asswipe Johnson (Pronounced Az-Wee-Pay) says: Aug 13, 2010 8:40 PM

Posted by Mike Florio on August 13, 2010 6:41 PM ET
    It’s a good thing Haden was a Rhodes Scholar. Otherwise, he could do or say something really stupid in situations like this.
    —————————————————–
    I’m sure that was just the attorney/lawyer side of Haden…Zing!

18. clubfoot says: Aug 13, 2010 8:53 PM

Florio, he learned how to do that from one of your favorite Presidents, Billy Bob Clinton.

19. ThePlainTruth says: Aug 13, 2010 9:06 PM

Like this hasn’t happened all over colleges nationwide. But get caught and look out. Who cares 5 years later?

20. Cushing Will Kill You says: Aug 13, 2010 9:06 PM

Yeah, Michael Michaels. Wait, Michael Michaels is the guy who was interviewing Emmit Smith last Sunday, right?

21. charliewade says: Aug 13, 2010 9:18 PM

It seems terribly important to note whether Bush actually apologized or not. We have all been around people who simply cannot say ‘I’m sorry’ for anything they do. Or make it an issue about the other person: ‘I’m sorry that you feel that way.’
    Why would Bush go through all that effort and never actually say he was sorry or issue an unqualified apology? To me, if he didn’t, then I think what Haden said is definitely significant and he is making an important distinction.
    Frankly, I hope Haden took the call, let Bush say what he had to say, listened without saying a word, then simply said, ‘Thank you for your call’, then hung up. While he isn’t the only one who did, Bush embarrassed the school, damaged the football program he claims to love, and didn’t cooperate a link with anyone seeking to find out the truth. As a USC alum and board member for the school, Haden should be pissed with Bush and owes him nothing.

22. numberfour says: Aug 13, 2010 9:44 PM

haden has a mess on his hands and needs to make a break with one of the player a-holes that caused the problems.
    now he needs to key pete carroll’s car.

23. SSgtLMJ says: Aug 13, 2010 10:04 PM

Saints won Florio! Get used to it!

24. stanjam says: Aug 13, 2010 11:05 PM

Vasaint,
    Really, ANYONE with his God given talent would do the same? Seems to me that there are a lot more players who do NOT do this than who do. He did it for his family? Really? So breaking rules, taking money from people, then dumping them and going elsewhere, that is okay as long as it is for your family? I guess it is okay now for me to rob and steal, because my family needs money, thanks for the tip, as long as I use my God given talents.
    Seems to me that the norm for people with God given talent is to obey the rules and wait for your NFL payday to make your money.
    It is bad enough when players hold out because 5 million a year isn’t enough, and they just want to “take care of the family.” Now we have supposed fans using the same excuse.

25. HereThere says: Aug 13, 2010 11:37 PM

I hope when the NCAA comes down on West Virginia Hillbilly University after this current investigation, you cover the penalties imposed on them half as much as you are with USC, you biased little jackoff.

26. Steve W. says: Aug 13, 2010 11:43 PM

Hey Florio, it’s not splitting hairs, it’s actually a pretty big difference. Haden is pretty much saying Bush felt sorry that USC got hammered with some sever sanctions. Had he actually apologized, it would have meant he was taking responsibility for his misdeeds and admitting he was both wrong and the source of USC’s troubles. There’s a big difference between regretting one’s actions, and regretting the consequences of those actions when one is caught, especially when that person still refuses to admit that they did anything wrong.

27. nps6724 says: Aug 14, 2010 12:05 AM

It’s hilarious how so many people are tearing Bush down for things that A) occurred when he was below the legal drinking age, B) didn’t include an actual CRIME, and C) would’ve enticed a whole lot of us to do if we were in that situation.
    The hypocritical moral police at it again.

28. Blackn'Gold says: Aug 14, 2010 12:40 AM

Kay Bee says: August 13, 2010 8:24 PM
    Blackn’Gold says:
    August 13, 2010 6:48 PM
    I wish misfortune for him this season.
    ——————– ——————– ———-
    What type of misfortune? Roethlisberger-type misfortune?
    The kind of misfortune that gives him a lousy season. Turf Toe, Hamstring pull, Concussion or poor run blocking from his offensive line.
    GO STEELERS!

29. purplepuzzyeatrz says: Aug 14, 2010 1:25 AM

They are all pathetic arent they Nps6724…..they just keep spewing the negative shyt….constantly….bunch of cowards is what they are…..pent up anger….we have a whole site of cats just waiting to shoot up a supermarket…
    SKOL

30. TheToolofTools says: Aug 14, 2010 1:26 AM

Pa Haden is going to be the best thing for U.S.C. since _____ (fill in the blank).
    Between the Bush and Mayo joints the inmates were running the asylum under Garret. He had no control because he didn’t care.
    Bush only feels bad because he was caught.
    Mayo never gave a shit from day 1.

31. HiHoTheFlorio says: Aug 14, 2010 2:00 AM

Reading these comments confirms my belief that, “People are stupid”.
    Especially you, Florio!
    Big ups to the “God given talent” guy for the dumbest post I’ve seen today.
    Hey nps6724, being enticed and giving in to temptation are two different things. You know that, right? And just because something isn’t a CRIME, as you put it, doesn’t mean that it’s not morally irresponsible. For instance, it’s not illegal for me to knowingly hit on your wife or girlfriend, so does that make it ok? Oh,and the age thing? If I were under the “legal drinking age” and committed a murder, do you think the judge would let me use that as an excuse? In your world, as long as I’m under 21, I shouldn’t serve any time.
    On second thought, nps6724, your post is the dumbest I’ve read today. Sorry, “God given talent” guy.
    I also find it fascinating that people will take up for a guy like Bush. A guy that would sooner screw you over (proven track record) than remember your name.

32. sasso says: Aug 14, 2010 3:53 AM

yeah…but still…u posted the first version of this story…profootballtalk.com…the TMZ of NFL news
    u drama bitches…I’m done with this site

33. Steve W. says: Aug 14, 2010 4:51 AM

Sorry, nps6724, but I do my best not to be hypocritical, and I certainly don’t go around trying to define the morals that everyone should live by. I wasn’t talking about morals, I was talking about ethics and honor.
    I am so tired of apologists whining about how college players aren’t to blame because they don’t get paid. If nothing else, these players are at the very least paid interns or fellows. Their tuition, room, and board is paid for. They receive instruction on how to improve their skills in their chosen post-college profession, and they get the opportunity to make important contacts in the industry and showcase their talents to potential employers. Other college students do it all the time.
    Furthermore, Bush knew the score when he signed on to play college football. If he couldn’t afford to not get paid, he could have skipped college, got a job in the real world for a couple of years, and then tried to make a team as a free agent. Why didn’t he? Because he knew he could make a whole lot more money by going the college route…which proves that college players can get quite a bit out of the deal too. For those who can’t make it in the NFL, they have a college degree to fall back on (assuming they put the work in).
    Did Bush commit a crime? Of course not. He did, however, violate the rules that he knowingly agreed to follow when he accepted his scholarship. Even worse, he knew that if he were caught, that others would suffer because of his decision. That is unethical, and a betrayal of his teammates, his school, and (as it turned out) the players that followed him. That is my problem with Bush.
    Oh, and what does the drinking age have to do with anything? He was an adult. He was old enough to vote, old enough to fight in a war, and certainly old enough to know better. He made a decision, fully aware that he was going against his word, and of the consequences should his actions become public. I don’t know about you or anyone else that visits this board, but I have been in a position to profit from violating an oath and betraying others. Maybe not to the extent that Bush did, but profit nonetheless. I chose to keep my word and my honor. Once you lose those things, it’s almost impossible to get them back.

34. tom coughlin's coat holder says: Aug 14, 2010 9:35 AM

@steve w . excellent point(s)…

35. The Big Easy says: Aug 14, 2010 10:01 AM

BlacknGold-I know you are not trying to pass judgement on something Bush did like take money from agents or whatever when you have a quarterback who has done what he has done over the past several months-are you kidding me? You want to wish bad luck on Bush? Hah-good luck to your sorry Steelers with Byron Leftwich at the helm for 6 weeks!

36. acers says: Aug 14, 2010 11:06 AM

vasaints says:
    August 13, 2010 8:38 PM
    That’s exactly what is wrong the everything in today’s world vasaints!! Not EVERYONE does what Bush DID. How about some INTEGRITY, HONESTY, MORALS?? He didn’t just to keep taking under the table, KNOWING IT WAS WRONG!! He would have made it to the NFL, made his millions, endorsements, etc. still doing it the right way. He chose the latter, the easy money way, the cheating way. How can you accept that as a rightful human being that that is OK??? It’s NOT!!!!!! So, he SHOULD be ridiculed, villified, and everything else. If he is sorry, he only sorry for getting caught. That’s what is so painfully obvious…..it’s people like you that like him because he plays for the saints. Fine, like him as a football player. But, you should be absolutely hate him for HIS LACK OF CHARACTER. If he really loved USC, he would never have done what he did. For crying outloud, he put the football program on probation and you’re defending him?
    When Reggie Bush is speaking to his grandchildren, on his lap, and he talks about the glory days….”yea, your granpappy was a great college player too….” “Really granpappy, can we talk about the time you put your college team on probation, can we, can we??”….”Uhh”….