Vikings get roster exemption for Percy Harvin

P. Harvin 3.jpgThe mysterious absence of Vikings receiver Percy Harvin doesn’t appear to be ending anytime soon.

The Vikings received a roster exemption for Harvin with the rare designation of “left squad,” according to Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.  He no longer counts on the Vikings roster, which is a sign the Vikings truly have no clue when he’ll return to the team.

Harvin left the Vikings when his grandmother passed away in late July, and another series of migraines have kept him away from camp since.  Harvin is back home in the Twin Cities, and the team will be headed there soon from Mankato, where camp started.  ESPN’s Kevin Seifert says there’s been “little communication” between Harvin and the team

At first, we didn’t think Harvin’s absence was that a big deal.  It grows more worrisome for the Vikings each day.

Permalink 61 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
61 Responses to “Vikings get roster exemption for Percy Harvin”
  1. pghguyy33 says: Aug 13, 2010 9:15 AM

man he must be takeing this one hard… get well soon percy

2. jimmySee says: Aug 13, 2010 9:17 AM

I hope the kid will be ok.

3. GBfanForever says: Aug 13, 2010 9:17 AM

Migraines suck.

4. merrillhodgestoupee says: Aug 13, 2010 9:20 AM

Percy is taking the “cure” Hazelton, a well known drug re-hab is a hop skip and a jump away.

5. buckifan4life says: Aug 13, 2010 9:21 AM

What I believe they are NOT telling us is that Harvin has some serious structural neck problems which are causing his headaches. I think his career will be shortened, unfortunately.

6. Barnstormer says: Aug 13, 2010 9:21 AM

Bet he needs time to clean out before taking the drug test!

7. I didn't hear no bell. says: Aug 13, 2010 9:22 AM

A story that should have been blown out of proportion and wasn’t? You guys are slipping. To make up for it, write another 5 stories about Revis, 10 about Rex Ryan and 40 about Brady’s contract situation.

8. mattgso says: Aug 13, 2010 9:26 AM

he’s in hattiesburg.

9. Topher says: Aug 13, 2010 9:26 AM

A star player has missed all of his second training camp. What about that is NOT a big deal?
    We all know there is a line of human decency here and we want to understand about grieving and about migraines. But at some point it boils down to “Are you playing ball or not?”

10. Florio-is-a-tool says: Aug 13, 2010 9:28 AM

He’s Farving it and there’s nothing Childress will do about it except beg for him to come back. Childress won’t be in any pain as he’s already got callouses on his knee caps.

11. SpartaChris says: Aug 13, 2010 9:29 AM

If his migraines are so bad he can’t be in training camp, how is that going to impact his ability to participate during the season?
    Or could he be Favring it and using the migraines as an excuse to ditch camp?

12. Love_Boat_Scandal says: Aug 13, 2010 9:31 AM

Schism.

13. betheball says: Aug 13, 2010 9:32 AM

“which is a sign the Vikings truly have no clue”
    Truer words have never been spoken

14. SpartaChris says: Aug 13, 2010 9:32 AM

BTW Vikings dweebs- If Percy Harvin were a Packer, you’d be all over him and Packer fans and poking fun at the situation. To say otherwise or to criticize Packer fans for doing the same would be hypocritical.

15. poiuyt says: Aug 13, 2010 9:32 AM

Percy is just following the example set by the team’s leader.

16. RC IV says: Aug 13, 2010 9:36 AM

merrillhodgestoupee says:
    August 13, 2010 9:20 AM
    ================================
    Wrong, idiot.

17. BenRapistberger says: Aug 13, 2010 9:38 AM

Man, Chilly really socked it to Belichick with this pick.

18. richkotitte says: Aug 13, 2010 9:43 AM

Get well soon, Percy.

19. Halasfan says: Aug 13, 2010 9:45 AM

With out grandma’s special brownies the migraines came back. They will only get worse in time. Hopefully he has an aunt with a stash and the recipe.

20. MNSportsGuy79 says: Aug 13, 2010 9:59 AM

I hope this kid doesn’t turn into another Demetrius Underwood. I hope he is able to grieve and get things worked out with the migraines soon.

21. BleedGreen says: Aug 13, 2010 9:59 AM

Chilly really set a terrible precedent with Favre. He pretty much can’t force anyone to show up to camp if they don’t want to be there. Favre is under contract and not there, so why does anyone else have to show up?

22. jrmbadger says: Aug 13, 2010 10:08 AM

Well, if his migraines really have lasted this long, I’m guessing either there is something seriously wrong physically, or he’s Favre-ing it.
    Haha…. Favre is a verb.
    To Favre it (verb) – skip training camp for no good reason by utilizing a poor excuse.
    A little strange over the lack of contact with the team.
    Hopefully he’s Favre-ing it. I’m a Pack fan, but I don’t wish that on anybody. Plus I dont want any lousy excuses from Viking fans when the Packers win this year.

23. Supersuckers says: Aug 13, 2010 10:15 AM

Boy oh boy is this team in a state of flux..

24. Gus says: Aug 13, 2010 10:15 AM

@BleegGreen
    I don’t know? Maybe cause he’s Brett freaking Favre!?

25. purplepuzzyeatrz says: Aug 13, 2010 10:18 AM

IDOTS IDOTS IDOTS
    THE GUY HAS A SERIOUS MEDICAL CONDITION, WHICH WILL PROBABLY END HIS CAREER. LIKE HE IS MAKING SHIT UP. BUNCH OF TOOLS

26. My_Dixie_wrecked says: Aug 13, 2010 10:24 AM

maybe its a TUMOR!!!!

27. Gravy Makes Sconnies Fat says: Aug 13, 2010 10:28 AM

he had migraines last season and missed some practices and stuff but he still had a roy and pro bowl season so i think he’ll be okay. i’m sure that’s why he smokes bud though, i think that can really help to prevent migraines cause i’ve never had one.
    i wonder if he could petition the league to be allowed to smoke medicinally? if he needs it to do his job he should be allowed to. aaron rodgers petitioned the league to force the packers to let him shower with the rest of the team after the players said he wasn’t allowed to shower with them anymore so fair is fair.

28. JimmySmith says: Aug 13, 2010 10:29 AM

My theory is that he needs some time to flush out the system before his next drug test. Which is odd since it would appear that Vikings are exempted from the NFL substance abuse policies. Just ask Judge Larson.
    But training camp is optional for Viking players, thanks to the leadership example set by BrINT.
    I suspect that Chilly will be doubling the time he spends bending over to accommodate the new demands from Percy, AD in additional to BrINT.

29. Reggie'sBush says: Aug 13, 2010 10:31 AM

Anyone else sees through this charade besides me?
    It’s like those mysterious back injuries that you cannot prove to get pain killers from the doctor. I use the migraine excuse to miss work all the time, I never had one ever.
    Childress has no control

30. SJ Apollo says: Aug 13, 2010 10:33 AM

“I don’t know much about migraines, so maybe someone that does will comment, but from wikipedia, it doesn’t look like it’s common to last this long.”
    My wife gets migraines and when they show up, she’s pretty much unable to do a thing other than lie in bed all day. She has medication that works – if she takes it in time. If she wakes up with one, the medication doesn’t help her. Stress is a huge trigger and things like loud noises can take a regular headache and crank it up to a migraine. In other words, Harvin may not have chosen the best career path for his medical condition. His grandmother’s death is probably not helping much.
    As a Packer fan, I would love if this were evidence of a schism or proof that Childress has lost control of the team, but as someone who lives with a person with the same condition, I’ve gotta believe the guy is hurting.

31. sand0 says: Aug 13, 2010 10:36 AM

Hmm with all this bad news I suppose the Vikings will be very easy to beat this year. Nobody should be worried about this team. Nope. Just like last year this team’s season is falling apart before it even starts.

32. lunds007 says: Aug 13, 2010 10:37 AM

I hope he doesn’t have a Brain Tumor, my friend was just diagnosed with a brain tumor at the age of 28…his symptoms: Migranes.
    SCARY!

33. phildo says: Aug 13, 2010 10:38 AM

no Favre, no Percy, no playoffs

34. green man says: Aug 13, 2010 10:39 AM

Schism…

35. purpleguy says: Aug 13, 2010 10:39 AM

Geez, I hope he’s not getting high.

36. cbatchel says: Aug 13, 2010 10:39 AM

Ive had a few migraines in my life, oh my god one of the most painful thing I have ever experienced. You feel like your head is going to explode, a regular headache times 100, and any sound or light made it 10 times worse. I had to sit in a dark quiet room and took medication until they finally went away.
    Actually feel bad for the kid, I don’t wish those things on anybody.

37. hazi59 says: Aug 13, 2010 10:42 AM

He hasn’t finished rubbing out Favre’s ankle yet.

38. jesus christ says: Aug 13, 2010 10:48 AM

what’s an idot?

39. Emoney says: Aug 13, 2010 10:50 AM

Smoke another bowl you idiot. If its not steroids being taken by a Viking, its weed.

40. jrmbadger says: Aug 13, 2010 11:03 AM

“Gravy Makes Sconnies Fat says:
    August 13, 2010 10:28 AM ….

Sconnie, you put the a-s-s in class.

41. Topher says: Aug 13, 2010 11:03 AM

Didn’t Terrell Davis have migraines? Didn’t Terrell Davis attend minicamp? Didn’t Terrell Davis play in the Super Bowl WITH a migraine?
    Holy cow! Terrell Davis is The Most Interesting Man in the World! Chuck Norris apologizes to Terrell Davis after bumping into him.

42. BigBear123 says: Aug 13, 2010 11:27 AM

Anyone else sees through this charade besides me?
    ————
    Had similar issues after a head injury. Migraines lasted longer than they should have due to my desire for time off. There are things to do to help, it just depends how aggressively you want to cure it. Hard to imagine someone who gets first class medical care would have issues this long.
    My migraines were from an injury and not similar to Pervy’s, but still think he is full of sh$t.

43. GBISFULLOFFATTIES says: Aug 13, 2010 11:30 AM

Emoney says:
    August 13, 2010 10:50 AM
    ***********************************
    HAHA. Nice post. Why don’t you tell half of your family and half the nation to stop smoking, while calling them idiots big guy.
    I don’t care what the issue is with Percy and the Vikes (if there is one) I just hope his health is okay… Emoney knows all!!!! BAwhahahahahaha CLOWN

44. awoods1906 says: Aug 13, 2010 11:31 AM

I figured I would come over to a Vikings Post while Mr.Humble obsesses with my Saints/NFC South articles.
    In all seriousness, whether it’s grief or migraines, both are serious. Hopefully he is in contact with the Vikings and if so get off the guy’s back and give him time. Some things should not be open to ignorant bloggers – life is a bit more serious than these stupid football debates.
    Get well P.H.!!!

45. dannylaruso says: Aug 13, 2010 11:31 AM

RC IV says:
    August 13, 2010 9:36 AM
    merrillhodgestoup ee says:
    August 13, 2010 9:20 AM
    ================= ===============
    Wrong, idiot.
    ================================
    Shouldn’t you be heading back to Schrute Farm?

46. Brewdogg says: Aug 13, 2010 11:32 AM

# Emoney says: August 13, 2010 10:50 AM
    =====================================
    Mandarich. Shut up.

47. Ruvell100 says: Aug 13, 2010 11:35 AM

I’m a little weirded out that this guy played well in all 18 contests last year and now he’s out for weeks during camp and misses practice virtually every week during the season. They don’t happen on Sunday’s because of sheer luck?
    Maybe he’s The Son of God…oh wait, Favre’s white, right FOF?
    All kidding aside, I can’t believe Vikings fans are not just sick of what an undisciplined mess this team is. Think Bud Grant.

48. Reggie'sBush says: Aug 13, 2010 11:50 AM

BigBear123 says:
    August 13, 2010 11:27 AM
    Anyone else sees through this charade besides me?
    ————
    ^^^
    haha, yeah it’s just like taking up smoking cigs because you get extra 10 minute breaks at work. I like to ask for one, go outside then think better of it but still accompany them.

49. Marc F says: Aug 13, 2010 12:11 PM

It’s not ah Toooma.

50. Marc F says: Aug 13, 2010 12:13 PM

I hope this doesn’t end up as the”black kid from the hood, raised by his grandmother, who died, and now he’s finding comfort in a bottle cause he don’t know how else to go on” story.
    The media really needs to find a new angle for sympathy votes.

51. Emoney says: Aug 13, 2010 12:54 PM

GBISFULLOFFATTIES,
    Unlike you and I guess half of the other country, nobody in my family does drugs. My father is a plant manager for Masterlock, my mother is an attorney for one of milwaukees largest corporate law firms, my brother is in the military, and I’m an engineer. My family doesn’t need drugs to be successful in life. Unlike your unemployed father and mother whose a part time waitress and maid. If my job says don’t do drugs, which they do, its wise to stay away from them. That’s also true for a professional football player who knows not to touch the stuff. He’s an idiot and so are you for defending him and his drug habits. And I don’t care what the rest of the country does in their free time. They don’t play in the NFL and their actions don’t affect my football team. Maybe that’s why so many people in this country are unemployed because they can’t put down the pipe to go to school or try to get a good paying job. Sounds like you’re one of them. I’ll say hi when I pick up my food in the McDonald’s drive thru.

52. Bordner says: Aug 13, 2010 1:05 PM

Topher says:
    August 13, 2010 11:03 AM
    Chuck Norris apologizes to Terrell Davis after bumping into him.
    ————————————————-
    Made me laugh. Thank you.

53. Dial-A-Cliche says: Aug 13, 2010 1:35 PM

sand0 says:
    ______________________
    You better get on your knees and pray the results of this year’s meetings between the Pack and the Vikes are better than last year.
    Oh wait, you’re already on your knees…

54. Calir says: Aug 13, 2010 1:50 PM

Well, he was a player that had a “questionable” character tag on him coming out of college. Why teams continue to ignore this is beyond me.

55. Dial-A-Cliche says: Aug 13, 2010 2:34 PM

Calir says:
    ____________________
    “Questionable” character tag – he had evidence of pot in his blood stream when tested at the combine. We now Know why.
    Why a team would enshrine a pedophile/rapist in its team “Hall Of Fame” is more than beyond me.
    Why are you people so unashamed about being hypocrites, it’s almost as if you are proud of it.

56. Bob Nelson says: Aug 13, 2010 2:35 PM

So how often is a player with one strike against him in the NFL substance abuse program tested for drug abuse?
    I bet there is a strong collolation between NFL sample collectors showing up to test Harvin and his alleged “migraine attacks”.
    It is a drug test dodge and nothing more.

57. Emoney says: Aug 13, 2010 4:44 PM

GBISFULLOFFATTIES,

58. Gravy Makes Sconnies Fat says: Aug 13, 2010 4:59 PM

“Unlike you and I guess half of the other country, nobody in my family does drugs.”
    drugs are fun though especially bud and ecstasy and lsd and coke and meth and shrooms and those crazy toads also, you should try them cause you really can’t be cool otherwise.

59. Dial-A-Cliche says: Aug 13, 2010 8:43 PM

Gravy Makes Sconnies Fat says:
    ______________________________
    Gravy -
    I don’t know if you should endorse taking all of those drugs at the same time – it made you cool, but look what happened to Bob Nelson…

60. Route36West says: Aug 14, 2010 12:52 AM

When is someone gonna come out and question if all these migraines really exists? Im not saying he never gets them or their not a serious problem for him. But isnt there a good chance that some of the time he just uses them as an excuse to not practice or go to training camp?
    I mean come on his migraines all so bad that he cant practice all week long but then can magically heal and play really well on the field? I dont buy it migraines are debilitating. If his pain is so horrible that he cant practice he wouldnt be able to perform the way he does.
    Also its convenient that he has these migraines again during training camp and after his grandmother passes away. I dont blame him for it if my grandmother died I would try to find any reason not to go to work.
    People need to start questioning whats really going on here. Is he really having these horrible headaches every time he says he does or is he just having them some of the time and using it as an excuse the rest of time.

61. Dial-A-Cliche says: Aug 14, 2010 9:48 AM

Route36West says:
    August 14, 2010 12:52 AM
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
    You’re a little late to the party junior…
    The entire State of Wisconsin and half of Minnesota have questioned “if all these migraines really exists?” (That should be “exist” champ).
    Painful to read this… grammar, spelling, punctuation… thought process of a spoiled child. No wonder the rest of the world thinks Americans are stupid and uneducated.
    Just too easy to call this one a moron… too damn easy. Which State wants to claim him? God, I hope he’s not from Minnesota.