Jamal Lewis: Dr. Galea is a great guy getting a bad rap

Former NFL running back Jamal Lewis has acknowledged working with Anthony Galea, the Canadian doctor charged with unlawfully treating NFL players with unapproved drugs including human growth hormone. But Lewis says Galea never gave him any illegal substances.

“I just think it was a bad deal, bad rap they were trying to give him,” Lewis told ESPN. “He’s a great guy. Good person. Humble person. Just would never do anything to hurt a person, period.”

Galea started working with Lewis early in his NFL career and continued working with him through the 2009 season. Lewis has not been charged with any wrongdoing, and he has not been identified as a suspect in the federal probe surrounding Galea.

And Lewis, the 2003 Associated Press Offensive Player of the Year, insists that working with Galea never included receiving performance-enhancing drugs.

“It is about being a superb athlete that is very in tune with your body, knowing the right people to go to and find,” Lewis said. “He is one out of how many other doctors that I have seen. I am just more in tune with my body. No steroids, no HGH, no off-brand chemicals in my body, none of that. I am just pure hard work. I am going to out-work you. That is it.”

Lewis hasn’t officially retired, but he says he is struggling with post-concussion syndrome and doesn’t expect to play again.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
8 Responses to “Jamal Lewis: Dr. Galea is a great guy getting a bad rap”
  1. BigBear123 says: Aug 15, 2010 9:48 AM

In February 2004, it surfaced that Lewis had been involved in talks about a drug deal. Lewis was charged with conspiring to possess with the intent to distribute five kilograms of cocaine and using a cell phone in the commission of the first count.[7] In February 2005, Lewis began his four-month prison term for trying to set up the drug deal.

2. tonyinmd says: Aug 15, 2010 10:02 AM

Yeah…and what does what happened in 2004 have to do with Dr Galea?

3. TryTheVeal says: Aug 15, 2010 10:04 AM

Jamal Lewis?……The drug dealer? I’m sure this doctors lawyers are thrilled a convicted felon has his back…

4. ccoolahan14 says: Aug 15, 2010 10:17 AM

Yeah…and what does what happened in 2004 have to do with Dr Galea?
    ————–
    Not even what happened in 2004, what happened when he was in COLLEGE. He was drafted in 2000. So we’re talking around 1998 here.

5. FireJerryJones says: Aug 15, 2010 10:51 AM

From 2004… prior to his guolty plea:
    “Jamal Lewis wants everyone to know that he is not guilty, that he has not been involved in drugs,” said Ed Garland, the running back’s attorney. “He’s extremely disappointed that this is happening.”
    Any questions?

6. robert ethen says: Aug 15, 2010 1:31 PM

Jamal suffering from post Galea syndrome. No HGH until he finds a new fixer.

7. OLDCRACKER says: Aug 15, 2010 2:45 PM

A leopard doesn’t change his spots…once a drug dealer, always a drug dealer.
    And, who wouldn’t believe the word of a drug dealer???

8. cowboy6073 says: Sep 12, 2010 1:31 PM

As a white older male that worked for Jamal for 2 years, I can say I do not think he dealt in drugs then or now.
    I believe him and always found him honest and displaying high integrity.