Brad Childress says Vikings aren't interested in Jeff Garcia

Jeff Garcia’s father says that the Vikings wanted the 40-year-old veteran to play for the team in the event that another 40-year-old veteran doesn’t.

But Vikings coach Brad Childress says that the Vikings “have no interest” in Garcia, according to our good friends at KFAN in Minneapolis.

Of course, whether the Vikings “have” no interest represents a different question than whether they ever “had” interest in the former 49er, Lions, Brown, Eagle, Buccaneer, Raider, and Eagle and future Omaha Nighthawk.  Maybe the Vikings were interested, until they got the word from Brett Favre that, yes, he’ll be playing in 2010.

Per KFAN, Childress also said that receiver Percy Harvin practiced on Monday and that running back Adrian Peterson will play on Sunday night, when the Vikings face the 49ers on NBC’s Sunday Night Football.

Permalink 77 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
77 Responses to “Brad Childress says Vikings aren't interested in Jeff Garcia”
  1. Contra says: Aug 16, 2010 3:00 PM

I dont like the idea that the Vikings MAY have had interest in the past. Bringing Favre in may have already ruffled feathers amongst the other QBs but if this were true then the lack of faith in the backup QBs is not good. I personally do not like Jeff Garcia and would much rather see the Vikes give Rosenfels more chances to outshine TJack.

2. Ty Redofbuck says: Aug 16, 2010 3:05 PM

Oh Brad, you might wanna check with the owner and general manager before you shoot your mouth off to the media.
    Pants on the ground seems to be less of a rallying cry and more of a description of how everybody in football treats Chilly.
    Haha, glorified chauffeur.
    That’s “show-fur” for the slow readers.

3. GBP says: Aug 16, 2010 3:05 PM

Of Course they’ll say that. They don’t want to upset the almighty one.

4. biggs13 says: Aug 16, 2010 3:09 PM

Did they not see Jeff banging heads in Pros vs. Joes?

5. jsbeck says: Aug 16, 2010 3:09 PM

Garcia might not be Farve, but the dude can play.
    Its weird how you take a team to the playoffs and then no one wants your butt
    Boycottfootball.com

6. MkePackFan says: Aug 16, 2010 3:09 PM

They had interest til they realized this would get Favre’s undies in a twist and make him feel unwanted.
    Besides, Chilly just got new kneepads that have only been used a little to kowtow to #4.

7. ChillyP says: Aug 16, 2010 3:10 PM

Jeff Garcia’s Dad is now his publicist? Hmmmmm this sounds more like Jeff Garcia is trying to find away to get back into the NFL because 32 teams have shown little interest in him. I mean if Jeff was such a great QB still he wouldn’t be going to the UFL… Just saying. Much ado about nothing.

8. 1072 says: Aug 16, 2010 3:11 PM

Brad Childress is the biggest asshole in NFL history. Hands down the most annoying person ever!!! It’s known inside the League how much Brett Favre HATES him and that’s why Brett’s just toying with him at this point.

9. FinFan68 says: Aug 16, 2010 3:12 PM

Sage is not a starter…Miami was looking for a QB for years and gave him several chances but he couldnt cut it. Find a vet or look to the draft. Should have gotten Clausen.

10. IAVikefan says: Aug 16, 2010 3:12 PM

Right. Peterson will play for 1 play, then ride the bench.

11. JuicyMelon says: Aug 16, 2010 3:15 PM

Who wouldn’t want Jeff Garcia? He’s been pretty good everywhere he’s been. However, I am still waiting on Favre and I personally like the combo of Sage/T-Jax. So I doubt the Vikings are interested in Jeff Garcia, but there is no reason he shouldn’t be on an NFL team.

12. imissmydeadspin says: Aug 16, 2010 3:17 PM

IAVikefan
    that’s enough for 1 fumble. right back where he left off.

13. Ilovefoolsball says: Aug 16, 2010 3:29 PM

Garcia would be a huge upgrade over TJack and Rosenfalls.
    but I’m sure that Lord Favre will arrive at training camp when he deems the rest of the peasant viking team worthy of his presence.

14. Jack Acid says: Aug 16, 2010 3:32 PM

They should be. Garcia is effective, healthy, mobile and though in his late 30s, is still younger than Favre.

15. Randy Inman says: Aug 16, 2010 3:35 PM

All that just to plug NBC’s football game.

16. Sparrowhawk says: Aug 16, 2010 3:38 PM

Jeff Garcia is still a better player than the current Viking back-ups. I’m sure that the Vikings did want to bring him in, but they had to clean up the story for the sake of team chemistry after he turned them down to play on a UFL team.

17. toddm6d says: Aug 16, 2010 3:43 PM

Favre / Sage / Webb will make a well rounded QB corps for the Vikings in 2010.

18. 90ragtop says: Aug 16, 2010 3:43 PM

“Vikings aren’t interested in Jeff Garcia”
    *********
    But a few of them did display considerable interest in his wife, 2004 Playboy Playmate of the Year Carmella DeCesare.

19. GBfanForever says: Aug 16, 2010 3:46 PM

what is he, too young for Childo?

20. Love_Boat_Scandal says: Aug 16, 2010 3:46 PM

Favre will be a big fat disappointment this season.

21. VikingFan09 says: Aug 16, 2010 3:53 PM

You hackers are all nutz. The Great One will return and drop everyones pants on the ground. Packer Fans are in a tailspin with the Golden Boy at the helm. Brett Favre will be the Chuck Norris of the NFL. Get ready girlz he’s a commin.

22. robert ethen says: Aug 16, 2010 3:53 PM

“No we aren’t interested in Garcia. I mean, since The Godfather III, what’s he really done? That was years ago.”.

23. DrewPuzia2 says: Aug 16, 2010 3:57 PM

Garcia! Has anyone started a story about the Vikings bringing in Jeff George yet! LOL

24. RC IV says: Aug 16, 2010 3:58 PM

Love_Boat_Scandal says:
    August 16, 2010 3:46 PM
    Favre will be a big fat disappointment this season.
    =================================
    Sounds like your life story.
    Didn’t you say this about Favre last year too?
    It’s been 3 years you big girl, he isn’t coming back to you. get over it and find a new man.

25. Vikes8480 says: Aug 16, 2010 4:08 PM

26. mattgso says: Aug 16, 2010 4:13 PM

Better say that Chilly. faver doesn’t like it when you plan for life without faver.

27. Johnnyb612 says: Aug 16, 2010 4:13 PM

Lord favre must’ve gotten upset when he heard Chilie was in bed with another qb.

28. TFormation says: Aug 16, 2010 4:25 PM

I count two easily avoided typos in the sentence above.
    Florio, do you even read these stories before posting them? No proofreaders at PFT?

29. AO says: Aug 16, 2010 4:46 PM

If you don’t want him Brad then stop “sucking”on his you know what already, Favre is waiting for his turn. GEZZZZ….

30. mrcmos says: Aug 16, 2010 4:48 PM

Garcia will sign in the next few days.
    SEND THE ASSCLOWN FREDO A FIVE DAY LETTER IF YOU HAVE THE BALLS.
    Didn’t think so.
    TT made the correct move by sending Fredo packing. The Queens beat us twice (Acknowledged), but I just don’t think that will happen again. Another year of wear and tear on Fredo and then there’s that ankle with the target on it issue.
    Good Luck Queens. Enjoy the drama. Glad it moved NW.

31. JSpicoli says: Aug 16, 2010 4:49 PM

Garcia was not, and is not, a former Raider. The little lisper talked his way to being cut before he played a regular season down last year. Too bad, if he had kept his mouth shut, he could have played the role of Gradkowski the saviour, but he had to keep popping off about being a starter. The reality was he needed to mind his p’s and q’s and just wait for Robitussin-breath to flunk out in midseason.
    Garcia had ants in his pants and is not a team player. He really isn’t even that good anymore, but in his day, he got more out of that small frame and weak arm than just about anyone in history.

32. jrmbadger says: Aug 16, 2010 5:01 PM

Haha! What a non-denial!
    Of course he HAS no CURRENT (i.e. present) interest – Garcia rejected him…. It would be different (and probably a lie) to say that they HAD (i.e. in the past) no interest at some point.
    Crafty Mr. Noodle, Crafty.

33. seanx says: Aug 16, 2010 5:05 PM

I think that Arizona might be looking hard at Garcia right this second too.
    Farve is coming back. No one doesn’t think that.

34. flop 4 strahan says: Aug 16, 2010 5:08 PM

… or maybe Chilly should ask Jeff Garcia’s dad when ol’ Brett Don’t Bother Knock’n When The Crocks Are-A-Rock’n Favre will have Yoko’s 2 qt. non-stick teflon coated frying pan dislodged from the back of his head ??
    …funny we havn’t seen the cell phone photo of that one yet have we??…

35. Five Times the Royalty says: Aug 16, 2010 5:13 PM

Childress’ actual quote about Garcia, which Florio could’ve gone to Vikings.com and listened to like I did, was in response to whether the report was true that the Vikings inquired about Jeff Garcia, and I quote, “No. No. Man, anybody can say anything now and… get up in front of people. My answer is no. No interest.” Doesn’t sound like maybe they ever “had” interest to me. Check your sources, Florio.

36. GBISFULLOFFATTIES says: Aug 16, 2010 5:22 PM

“Vikes8480 says:
    August 16, 2010 4:08 PM
    The Vikes should have drafted Claussen. Way to blow it Childress. You better hope.. no pray that Favray comes back to save your empty bald head!!”
    WHY…WHY, why should they have? The Vikings and 30 other teams could care less about Jimmy. Wake up you F’n moron! You are not a scout, stop acting like one just because you watched him play twice on NBC

37. flop 4 strahan says: Aug 16, 2010 5:22 PM

I believe Chilly…Afterall, he does have 12 world championships.
    Oh wait, never mind – I guess I was thinking of somebody else…

38. Pervy *Harvin says: Aug 16, 2010 5:23 PM

Brad Childress says Vikings aren’t interested in Jeff Garcia but…… a reliable source has phoned me with the news that Ted Thompson and Aaron Rodgers are interested in Garcia. The 3 of them were seen leaving a Milwaukee Pet Smart with cases of gerbils under their arms….

39. thirdandgoal says: Aug 16, 2010 5:25 PM

Bobby, you scoundrel, you lied to us!!

40. flop 4 strahan says: Aug 16, 2010 5:33 PM

I’m pretty sure Chilly is not even allowed to know what’s on the training camp lunch menu…
    As a Pack fan – even I feel sorry for this guy. Watching a grown man get repeatedly humiliated by the biggest panty wetting p*ssy in the NFL makes even me a little uncomfortable.
    Maybe he should give Mr. Crocs a ultimatum like ol’ mullet head. How ’bout, ” If Brett doesn’t show up by game 4 I’m not gonna shave my beard – ouchee”

41. ACS2 says: Aug 16, 2010 5:37 PM

Haven’t we heard this song and dance in the past?

42. flop 4 strahan says: Aug 16, 2010 5:47 PM

———————————————–
    …that ‘reliable source’ wouldn’t happen t be the the large man in the size 12 crocs behind you gently caressing your shoulders would it??

43. Contra says: Aug 16, 2010 5:50 PM

flop 4 strahan says:
    August 16, 2010 5:22 PM
    I believe Chilly…Afterall, he does have 12 world championships.
    Oh wait, never mind – I guess I was thinking of somebody else…

44. Contra says: Aug 16, 2010 5:53 PM

flop 4 strahan says:
    August 16, 2010 5:22 PM
    I believe Chilly…Afterall, he does have 12 world championships.
    Oh wait, never mind – I guess I was thinking of somebody else…
    ———-
    Come on, you backed yourself into a corner now. Which ONE PERSON were you thinking of that has 12 championships?! I would like to know.

45. SpartaChris says: Aug 16, 2010 6:01 PM

So basically Chilly is saying what he has to in order to make sure Sage and Tarvaris don’t get bent out of shape. Got it.
    Remember folks, Chilly lied to everyone last season when he said the door was closed regarding bringing Brett Fraud to the Vikings. It’s sad, but you can’t honestly believe a thing the guy says, especially now at this critical juncture.
    Besides, why would Jeff Garcia’s dad just make something like that up?
    Eh well. I know who my QB is on game day.

46. ACS2 says: Aug 16, 2010 6:07 PM

Contra says:
    August 16, 2010 5:50 PM
    who were you thinking of? Which one person has 12 championships?there is no way you can answer this question without sounding like a complete idiot. I can’t even say “nice try” at trying to be witty because it’s flat out horrible!
    ———–
    Phil Jackson.

47. TheToolofTools says: Aug 16, 2010 6:09 PM

I would pick up Garcia in a heart beat.
    He played here in Cleveland and was abused,
    but I think he still has gas in the tank and is so very very smart.

48. flop 4 strahan says: Aug 16, 2010 6:13 PM

flop 4 strahan says:
    August 16, 2010 5:22 PM
    I believe Chilly…Afterall, he does have 12 world championships.
    Oh wait, never mind – I guess I was thinking of somebody else…
    ———-
    ——————————————
    Contra – as soon as you get your verbal fastball above 45 mph you can step up to the plate in the big leagues and take a swing against my hard cheese and knee-bustin’ uncle charley retorts
    until then… keep swingin’ away w/ your Queenie buddies in the co-ed pony league. In Titletown you have to EARN your way into the team.

49. govikings27 says: Aug 16, 2010 6:23 PM

Everyone likes to dog on Chilly, all he has done is draft studs, improve his win total every year, get his team to back to back NFC north titles, and made it within a few questionable calls to the super bowl….Not many other coaches can say that…but keep hating and dating your cousins

50. Pervy *Harvin says: Aug 16, 2010 6:27 PM

flop 4 strahan says: large man in the size 12 crocs behind you gently caressing your shoulders
    ————————————————–
    Damn boy…i think you have a career in gay romance novels ! I had to shower after i puked from reading that descriptive fairy fag post. What kind of dressing do you use when you toss Ted’s salad? Blew cheese???

51. Contra says: Aug 16, 2010 6:28 PM

flop 4 strahan says:
    August 16, 2010 6:13 PM
    flop 4 strahan says:
    August 16, 2010 5:22 PM
    I believe Chilly…Afterall, he does have 12 world championships.
    Oh wait, never mind – I guess I was thinking of somebody else…
    ———-
    —————– ——————– —–
    ———-
    That was the lamest thing ive ever read. Not only did you FAIL to answer my question but you tried diverting it with some stupid comment. You are a failure!

52. Pervy *Harvin says: Aug 16, 2010 6:30 PM

flop 4 strahan says: In Titletown you have to EARN your way into the team.
    ===================================
    “into” be the key word….like “into Ted’s hairy puckered ass” will surely help you make that GayBay team…worked for Aaron

53. murray22 says: Aug 16, 2010 6:34 PM

OMG. Don’t mess with Contra. He “allegedly” has a MBA, according to an earlier post. Must mean he’s a Master Bating A**hole.

54. ACS2 says: Aug 16, 2010 6:38 PM

flop 4 strahan says:
    August 16, 2010 6:13 PM
    ————
    Nice deflection, but it comes across a little strong. I would’ve made some reference to division titles, since that’s all Vikings fans recognize.

55. ACS2 says: Aug 16, 2010 6:45 PM

Pervy *Harvin says:
    August 16, 2010 6:27 PM
    —————
    I’ll bet it was a long shower… Which ended with a sore elbow.

56. ACS2 says: Aug 16, 2010 6:46 PM

murray22 says:
    August 16, 2010 6:34 PM
    —————-
    ….as opposed to Pervy, who can’t spell MBA.

57. puhleezho says: Aug 16, 2010 6:55 PM

However, techno viking might be.

58. flop 4 strahan says: Aug 16, 2010 7:07 PM

———-
    ——————————————
    Great comeback Suzy-Q
    That hit about 38 on the radar gun and bounced 4 ft in front of home plate.
    Have you tried pitching underhand while wearing panties. I got a feeling that’s a little more you speed.
    …and don’t forget to remind Pervy the jock strap pouch goes in front…not the back

59. flop 4 strahan says: Aug 16, 2010 7:19 PM

Queenies – Fix your frizzy hair, lose the braces, dump the polyester dress, drop some weight and get your finger out of your nose and maybe we’ll ask you to come dance with the big boys some day
    You can’t miss me – I’ll be the guy holding 12 world championships

60. flop 4 strahan says: Aug 16, 2010 7:20 PM

…did I mention the Packers 12 World Championships ??

61. Pervy *Harvin says: Aug 16, 2010 7:26 PM

ACS2 says: I’ll bet it was a long shower… Which ended with a sore elbow.
    ————————————————–
    You homo…do you have a camera in my latrine??? You are spot on …i have a date tonight and i never go out with a loaded “lil” Pervy…

62. Contra says: Aug 16, 2010 7:49 PM

flop 4 strahan says:
    August 16, 2010 7:20 PM
    …did I mention the Packers 12 World Championships ??
    ————
    Looking to the past is unfortunately the only thing the Packer faithful can do when their current team is looking grim.

63. sand0 says: Aug 16, 2010 8:05 PM

It amazes me that Florio posts Vikings non story after Vikings non story, gives them all a negative little smart assed twist, and then laughs as all the Vikings haters come to repost their unoriginal redundant dribble. And it works. Time after time.
    Unconfirmed rumor about a hypothetical situation that did not occur. Who cares? It is in the past now if it even did occur.
    These Packer fans better have their super bowl parties now because the fun stops when the regular season starts.

64. Contra says: Aug 16, 2010 8:24 PM

sand0 says:
    August 16, 2010 8:05 PM
    ———-
    They have their “12 championships” party every year once the Packers are eliminated from any playoff contention.

65. skimbell says: Aug 16, 2010 8:26 PM

Contra says:
    August 16, 2010 5:50 PM
    flop 4 strahan says:
    August 16, 2010 5:22 PM
    I believe Chilly…Afterall, he does have 12 world championships.
    Oh wait, never mind – I guess I was thinking of somebody else…

66. Ambrose says: Aug 16, 2010 8:58 PM

The press got it wrong. Childress is trying to deflect attention away from a tweet he sent that read; “I want Jeff G. badly” He really wants Jeff George, not Jeff Garcia.

67. RC IV says: Aug 16, 2010 9:23 PM

Ambrose says:
    August 16, 2010 8:58 PM
    ===========================
    Why do you even ponder post….
    Hell at your age gramps, why do you even ponder passing gas?
    Those aren’t depends man, those are real underwear!!

68. Gravy Makes Sconnies Fat says: Aug 16, 2010 10:18 PM

rc is right, ambrose. you have to be careful.

69. Ambrose says: Aug 17, 2010 7:07 AM

RC IV says: August 16, 2010 9:23 PM
    Why do you even ponder post….
    ————————————————————————
    I am here to rescue the clueless. I am glad to see you are paying attention.

70. RC IV says: Aug 17, 2010 8:35 AM

Ambrose says:
    August 17, 2010 7:07 AM
    RC IV says: August 16, 2010 9:23 PM
    Why do you even ponder post….
    ——————– ——————– ——————– ————
    I am here to rescue the clueless. I am glad to see you are paying attention.
    ======================
    Gramps:
    You can’t attempt to rescue the clueless, when you are one of them yourself.
    Good job though, 2 posts in a row w/o mentioning Favre!!

71. ACS2 says: Aug 17, 2010 10:04 AM

Pervy *Harvin says:
    August 16, 2010 7:26 PM
    ————
    Thank you for proving my point. You read a “gay romance novel” and then cleaned the pipes in the shower. Game, set and match.
    You’re gay.

72. ACS2 says: Aug 17, 2010 10:06 AM

Contra says:
    August 16, 2010 8:24 PM
    ————
    So you’re saying we missed that party 12 years, huh? At least you guys get to go to your party every year. Nothing to celebrate, but plenty of reasons to get drunk.

73. Supersuckers says: Aug 17, 2010 11:52 AM

ACS2 says:
    August 17, 2010 10:04 AM
    Pervy *Harvin says:
    August 16, 2010 7:26 PM
    ————
    You’re gay.
    ——————
    and a dumb whigger.

74. Supersuckers says: Aug 17, 2010 11:56 AM

The Vikings better get interested in something soon as it appears training camp isn’t a priority. Or a QB.

75. RC IV says: Aug 17, 2010 12:57 PM

Supersuckers says:
    August 17, 2010 11:56 AM
    ===============================
    Don’t worry Super, they are all in camp and practicing now, except Favre.
    He’ ll be there next Wednesday or so.
    Pervy forwarded me the text he got from Favre, so i know it’s legitimate.

76. Supersuckers says: Aug 17, 2010 1:22 PM

“I know you packer fans are hoping against hope that he doesn’t come back, sorry to say, he will be there.”
    ————-
    I actually want him back. Honestly I do. I mean the epic fail at the end will be entertaining on so many levels…AGAIN!!!

77. ACS2 says: Aug 17, 2010 1:30 PM

RC IV says:
    August 17, 2010 12:57 PM
    Supersuckers says:
    August 17, 2010 11:56 AM
    ==================== ===========
    Don’t worry Super, they are all in camp and practicing now, except Favre.
    ————
    Rice isn’t practicing yet.