Hester bothered by perception he can't pick up offense

Devin Hester and his coaches have heard the talk that Hester can’t pick up Mike Martz’s complex offense.  And they aren’t too happy.

”I just got to tell you this and get this off my chest: I’ve heard
so much about Devin not being a receiver and he doesn’t learn well, and
none of that is true,” Martz said.  ”None of that is true. He’s a natural at it. Everything comes natural to him — the
recognition and the change of direction. He’s got a great way about him.
He’s a natural.”

The line of questioning may come from outsiders looking for reasons why Hester hasn’t seamlessly transitioned from return star to receiver star. Martz’s reaction was typical when Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times asked around.

“I don’t even want to get into it. I get mad when I hear it,”
receivers coach Darryl Drake said. ”I don’t even want to comment on
that because it’s so unfair.”

Coach Lovie Smith: “No one has said it.
That’s a non-issue. Devin has been outstanding picking things up.”

Hester: ”It bothers me a lot. I guess people expect me to come in
right away and be a receiver, even though I’ve never played it before.”

Hester hits the nail on the head. His brief run as a brilliant returner set artificially high expectations. Frankly, we’re pleasantly surprised by his production at receiver thus far. (He led the Bears in receiving last year.)

The Bears didn’t help matters when they built Hester up publicly as a “No. 1 receiver” before he truly learned the position.  They should just be happy he’s a solid piece to the puzzle, and they now have a coach that knows what to do with him.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
11 Responses to “Hester bothered by perception he can't pick up offense”
  1. benh999 says: Aug 16, 2010 3:47 PM

Hester: ”It bothers me a lot. I guess people expect me to come in right away and be a receiver, even though I’ve never played it before.”
    I guess “three years” qualifies as “right away” to Hester. But hey, it’s not like there are any successful wideouts who played another position in college.
    Hester’s conversion to WR is about as shortsighted as the trade for Cutler.

2. robert ethen says: Aug 16, 2010 3:55 PM

Hester has the direction to run mastered, it’s just the turns and stops that confuse him.

3. TwoHands says: Aug 16, 2010 4:05 PM

Hester had exactly the same issue at the University of Miami which was why he played corner as a senior.

4. sven_ftw says: Aug 16, 2010 4:23 PM

Devin ‘Troy Williamson’ Hester.

5. CaptainFantastik says: Aug 16, 2010 4:57 PM

No wonder people think that. Ever listen to this guy speak? Talk about butchering the English language.

6. StormTeech says: Aug 16, 2010 5:47 PM

It is well known around Chicago that Muhsin Muhammad used to have to tell Hester where to line up when he was converted to wide receiver. Muhammad made repeated comments about how slow Hester was to pick up the most basic of plays.

7. TryTheVeal says: Aug 16, 2010 5:49 PM

Run Forrest Run….

8. FireJerryJones says: Aug 16, 2010 5:59 PM

If he never held out looking for more money than a special teams guy…. and begging to be paid like a star WR… then he’s got nothing to worry about.
    Right?

9. Satanic Hell Creature says: Aug 17, 2010 12:51 PM

”None of that is true. He’s a natural at it. Everything comes natural to him — the recognition and the change of direction. He’s got a great way about him. He’s a natural.”
    Mike Martz should be fired immediately and run out of the NFL just for making that statement alone.

10. smarterthanyou says: Aug 18, 2010 11:04 PM

I’m pretty confident that none of you have any clue what you’re talking about. The guy was playing on the most predictable offense I have ever seen the past two years. Ron Turner wasted Hester’s talent. Martz won’t. The guy led an NFL team’s receivers who have been playing this position for years…in receiving…in his second year of playing the position.

11. SmackDaPack says: Aug 19, 2010 11:36 PM

@sven_ftw Troy Williamson? Really? Troy Williamson has been good at nothing since coming to the NFL, and he was taken what 7th overall or something? Pay attention.