High school player hopes NFL can help him find size 22 cleats

Connor Duffy is a 6-foot-8, 300-pound tackle on the Kingsway Regional High School football team whose upcoming season is in jeopardy because he has size 22 feet and can’t find cleats that fit.

His mom is hoping the NFL can help the family find some shoe company, somewhere, that will make size 22 cleats.

“We [searched for] size 22, and found a lady in Florida whose son had a size 20 cleat,” Connor’s mom told the Gloucester County Times. “They finally got help from the Miami Dolphins, I think. We don’t want somebody to pay for the cleats. We just need somebody to make them. I’ll pay for them.”

Connor has size 22 basketball shoes, but his coach says he needs cleats to play football on grass. During his sophomore season Connor wore size 18 cleats, but his feet have grown by four sizes since then.

“They go up to 19, and after that they only sell them to special athletes,” Connor said. “We had minicamp in June, and I’ve been looking for cleats since the end of minicamp. I thought I could just find them online, but I guess I can’t.”

A quick search of NFL players’ shoe sizes didn’t reveal anyone whose feet are as big as Connor’s. But here’s hoping someone in the NFL, or the shoe industry, hears about Connor’s feet and gives him a hand.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
30 Responses to “High school player hopes NFL can help him find size 22 cleats”
  1. Norton says: Aug 16, 2010 6:00 PM

He should get hold of Bob Lanier who had a similar size sneaker. I hope the kid gets some help.

2. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Aug 16, 2010 6:12 PM

hopefully Florio steps up the plate and is able to connect with his ‘source’ in Minnesota to get this young man some cleats

3. Freamon says: Aug 16, 2010 6:13 PM

He should contact Lexington Steel.

4. TryTheVeal says: Aug 16, 2010 6:15 PM

I now know that PFT scours the globe for information when they are getting stories from The Gloucester County Times….I drive by this HS everday for work, and it’s about 20 minutes from there to the Linc, maybe the Eagles can help the kid out…

5. NoKoolaidCowboy says: Aug 16, 2010 6:15 PM

Time for the NFL to “step” up and help his young man. Good job to the Dolphins!

6. Brownwood26 says: Aug 16, 2010 6:19 PM

Dumbasses are looking for help from the wrong league…I’d bet the price of those cleats Shaquille O’Neal (who also wears a size 22) would not only locate those cleats for him but pay for them personally. That’s just the kind of guy he is.
    Connor: find Shaq and find your cleats.

7. Darth Vader says: Aug 16, 2010 6:23 PM

wow. 22. come on I’m sure the Raiders could get the kid a shoe, hell if Al Davis can pay for a uniform to fit Jamarcus Russel’s fat A$$ for almost 3 years then he can get the kid cleats.

8. AbeFreshly says: Aug 16, 2010 6:30 PM

“…hears about Connor’s feet and gives him a hand.”
    Way to go, MDS. That definitely sounds like a wordplay that Florio would use.
    It’s so…so…Florio-ish.

9. kosarsmyidol says: Aug 16, 2010 6:32 PM

Man, some college and NFL teams are bound to fall in love with a tackle that size if he sticks with it. I hope he finds some cleats.

10. JoeSixPack says: Aug 16, 2010 6:33 PM

I predict a savvy Ringling Brothers PR person to come riding in as a white knight.

11. Juttster says: Aug 16, 2010 6:46 PM

The Bears have a dude right now who wears a 24E…… Jamarcus Webb… OT. Maybe he can help… Man, thats one big ass set of anchors.

12. Heinekenfun says: Aug 16, 2010 6:49 PM

Have they thought of sewing two pair of size 11’s togther? Where’s the initiativiness?

13. Jyo51 says: Aug 16, 2010 7:00 PM

I retweeted this to Shaq. The kid should be covered.

14. Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says: Aug 16, 2010 7:11 PM

Hope you can make something happen for this kid Florio.

15. robert ethen says: Aug 16, 2010 7:11 PM

Connor’s team lost over 400 yards in off side penalties as he adjusted to his rapidly growing feet.

16. downwithdansnyder says: Aug 16, 2010 7:26 PM

Gee, I wonder how many college scouts attention his momma just got him??? Hmm…I’m just sayin’…But the kid does need some shoes….until Nike starts dressing him his frosh year and some big college.

17. lurch's nyquil says: Aug 16, 2010 7:42 PM

freamon….made me laugh out loud. hopefully my wife doesnt read this post.

18. prophet of the light says: Aug 16, 2010 7:42 PM

at 6-8, I imagine shoes are one of his smaller concerns.

19. thedude says: Aug 16, 2010 7:43 PM

be cooler if he was a running back

20. Tinbender says: Aug 16, 2010 7:55 PM

Florio, get NBC to step up to the plate and put this on the REGULAR news. The more eyes see it the better.

21. penguininbondage says: Aug 16, 2010 8:49 PM

I’m surprised Paulsboro didn’t attempt to lure him to their program.

22. 56lightsout56 says: Aug 16, 2010 9:06 PM

Check Florio’s mouth, he usually has a foot or two stuck in it.

23. comment_submission_error says: Aug 16, 2010 9:21 PM

You know what they say…big feet, big shoes. This kid is going to have some cleats pretty soon. Somebody always steps up.

24. Hawkeye says: Aug 16, 2010 9:26 PM

Maybe Bigfoot can help.

25. Route36West says: Aug 16, 2010 10:03 PM

I live 5 miles from there and my old high school plays his high school every year on thanksgiving. It is unreal how big this kid is. Hes a monster out there compared to all 5’9″ kids that play on high school football teams.
    The only thing is Clearview whoops Kingsway’s ass every year. I hope he gets his cleats but it doesnt matter if he does because they will still lose.

26. LightningLucci says: Aug 16, 2010 10:23 PM

@Route36West,
    I clicked on that school link and your Clearview got its butt kicked by Kingsway last year. But crap, so did my Deptford Spartans.
    On second thought, this kid doesn’t need to play football.

27. KenX says: Aug 16, 2010 10:24 PM

Someone give Nick Saban a call. He has a kid down there with size 22 shoes.

28. ChargersBlue says: Aug 17, 2010 12:44 AM

I got an old buddy of mine on the case…
    He played with me in high school and had size 19 cleats at age 16…
    It was quite the adventure for him to find those cleats and it was very dangerous with him sliding around on the wet grass in basketball shoes…
    He went on to play college ball and I am guessing he had size 22s at some point…

29. Spungy says: Aug 17, 2010 8:26 AM

You know what they say about big feet… hide your daughters!

30. godofwine says: Aug 17, 2010 9:55 AM

@ Freamon says:
    August 16, 2010 6:13 PM
    He should contact Lexington Steel.
    ROFLMAO!!! I am wondering how many people know who Lex Steele is without googling. I like Lex’s ex Vanessa Blue.
    But seriously, folks. I hope somebody comes through for this kid.