Vikings wanted Jeff Garcia as Favre fallback

Former NFL quarterback Jeff Garcia has decided to join the UFL’s Omaha Nighthawks.  But before making the decision to join the UFL, Garcia received a phone call from an NFL team.

“Minnesota had called him and said ‘if [Brett] Favre doesn’t play are you ready to go?,’” Garcia’s father, Bobby, told the Gilroy (Cal.) Dispatch (via JoeBucsFan.com).  “But, you know what?  Favre is going to play.

“I said, ‘[the Nighthawks] really want you and are willing to make you one of the marquee players in the league.’”

Even though Jeff Garcia has yet to sign with the Nighthawks, he said the fully intends to join the team.

So if, in the end, Favre decides not to play, Vikings fans will have another name to add to the list of guys they could have had if Favre had only told them his plans earlier.

Permalink 56 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
56 Responses to “Vikings wanted Jeff Garcia as Favre fallback”
  1. BigBear123 says: Aug 16, 2010 9:05 AM

Apparently they think more highly
    of Garcia than TJ or Rose.
    Someone needs to go kick Favres ankle.

2. vikings rule says: Aug 16, 2010 9:17 AM

That might have been big news 3 or 4 years ago when klink was putting all his eggs T Jacks basket. Garcia is nothing but a usefull backup now and a replacement for Sage. I don’t think Sage was ever given a real shot and I Farve doesn’t come back or goes down will probably take over the team when T Joke once again shows what a loooooser he is

3. downwithdansnyder says: Aug 16, 2010 9:23 AM

why won’t anyone let Sage let it rip and give him a real shot?

4. Skol Favre says: Aug 16, 2010 9:24 AM

My confusion lies with the fact they CLEARLY don’t think T-Jack or Sage are winning QB’s and have not thought so for almost 3 years now, so why are they on the roster?? Maybe if Favre is really done we tank for a shot at Locker? Might be nice to lose the “?” at QB for the first time since Daunte left…..

5. PackisBack10 says: Aug 16, 2010 9:25 AM

Smart move, Omaha has a bette shot at a championship this year.

6. adeem4578 says: Aug 16, 2010 9:29 AM

I’m sure Jeffy would love to be his ‘backup’ man.

7. Rbell2123 says: Aug 16, 2010 9:32 AM

Chilly only has himself to blame for this three ring circus of vikings QB’s…….he should have had a plan for the future or if Farve could not play…… I hate the Vikings so this is fun to watch……LMAO

8. AlCortez says: Aug 16, 2010 9:38 AM

Glad my team isn’t the one heading into the season relying on one of two backup QBs that the coach and front office openly have no confidence in.

9. BrentFavre says: Aug 16, 2010 9:38 AM

Oh, the vikings. Your desperation amuses me.

10. BrentFavre says: Aug 16, 2010 9:40 AM

Oh, the vikings. Your desperation amuses me.

11. mattgso says: Aug 16, 2010 9:41 AM

So if faver and Garcia don’t pan out, T-jack’s got to be feeling like he’s really wanted.

12. ACS2 says: Aug 16, 2010 9:46 AM

Wow. So you’re telling me Jeff Garcia is going to pick the Omaha Whatevers over the Minnesota Vikings? Classic.

13. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Aug 16, 2010 9:49 AM

hopefully TJ gets his chance to shine, besides the game from 2 years ago when he threw an INT against the Eagles in that playoff game, he was doing everything right and was improving

14. Fred Finstad says: Aug 16, 2010 9:53 AM

Oh My God!!!!! Go to the Rest Home again….
    Also…………….
    I see Aaron Rodgers is first in Fantasy Football and Brett baby is 8TH.

15. seals says: Aug 16, 2010 9:55 AM

trainwreck,,,,,,,,,chilly’s head needs to be on a stake this year if or when this blows up. The vikes have great depth and nobody to lead them.
    T Jack can’t play unless you count the check down pass to the fullback or blocking TE. The only two players that want T Jack are Tahi & Dugan who will combine for 100 catches for 3.6 yard average.
    Sage better get a shot if 4 doesn’t show. Let it go Chilly,,,you screwed up the pick for t jack just admit so we can all move on.

16. Fred Finstad says: Aug 16, 2010 9:55 AM

First Computer Pick According To ESPN For The SuperBowl………
    Packers 27
    Chargers 13

17. poonhok says: Aug 16, 2010 9:57 AM

WarrenMoonGOAT says:
    August 16, 2010 9:49 AM
    =======
    =============
    …and he’s black!

18. seals says: Aug 16, 2010 10:00 AM

warren moon, what have you seen that I have not. Please show me one three step drop and fire the ball to a spot that a reciever is standing and I’ll listen. Hitch, hitch, hitch, run around a little, throw to the fullback. The only thing that saved him two years ago was AP.

19. Canned Heat says: Aug 16, 2010 10:13 AM

Chilly is making a complete ass out of himself and the organization. He’s completely derailed the careers and lives of 2 players who given the right sysytem and opportunity…may have been starters in the league. Instead, he’s bowed down to Lord Fart (probably due to Bevell) and that has put the entire team’s outlook for this season totally in limbo.
    The best part is….when the queen announces his presence to all the peasants in camp, and then comes in by the 3rd preseason…only to throw picks left and right, and not be on the same page
    with his receivers and backs because he’s been playing catch with 16 year old kids in high school.
    When he comes back to shit the bed for you guys….and he will……..that will just flat out rock.

20. robert ethen says: Aug 16, 2010 10:14 AM

I see Packer Foam Heads are holding a “Fantasy Super Bowl” victory parade down the main street of Green Bay next week. No confetti, but you can pick up handfuls of gravel off the dirt road and throw it in the air if you like.
    Meanwhile Garcia is “not yet signed” by Omaha. Which means the minute Favre gives definitive word, he will either sign in Minnesota or Omaha.

21. Majik Bullet says: Aug 16, 2010 10:14 AM

Fred Finstad says: August 16, 2010 9:53 AM
    Also…………. …
    I see Aaron Rodgers is first in Fantasy Football and Brett baby is 8TH.
    _________________
    Wow, you know what I see. Brett Baby is #1 all time in wins, Rodgers is about 857th.

22. RC IV says: Aug 16, 2010 10:17 AM

Fred Finstad says:
    August 16, 2010 9:55 AM
    First Computer Pick According To ESPN For The SuperBowl………
    Packers 27
    Chargers 13
    ============================
    Cancel the season and crown GB. Because those things are “always correct”.
    Jesus, you actually are going to be excited about this?
    ——————————-
    Adam, totally agree.
    He’d rather play in the UFL, than QB an NFL team?
    It’s a moot point anyway, Favre is coming back.
    I can’t wait to hear Ambrose’s whiny take on this.

23. Who is Mike Jones says: Aug 16, 2010 10:18 AM

I guess this sums up how the Vikes really feel about the Jackson kid!

24. robert ethen says: Aug 16, 2010 10:25 AM

With Minnesota not an option, Garcia would have to choose between Omaha and Green Bay. He is leaning toward Nebraska for the social and cultural advantages.

25. mattgso says: Aug 16, 2010 10:32 AM

Fellow Packer fans:
    Give the “fantasy” picks and “ESPN predictions” a rest.
    Results rule. And results are earned on the field during the regular season. Nothing else matters.
    Now back to annoying the viking fans….

26. EverybodyGotAIDS says: Aug 16, 2010 10:34 AM

poonhok says:
    August 16, 2010 9:57 AM
    WarrenMoonGOAT says:
    August 16, 2010 9:49 AM
    =======
    =============
    …and he’s black!
    _______________________
    Tavaris Jackson isn’t black, he just sucks so hard that not even light can escape. Like a black hole.

27. Leto_II says: Aug 16, 2010 10:43 AM

The Vikings just want Garcia’s wife to come to the games.

28. ACS2 says: Aug 16, 2010 10:47 AM

Fred Finstad says:
    August 16, 2010 9:53 AM
    Oh My God!!!!! Go to the Rest Home again….
    Also…………. …
    I see Aaron Rodgers is first in Fantasy Football and Brett baby is 8TH.
    ————–
    Fred Finstad says:
    August 16, 2010 9:55 AM
    First Computer Pick According To ESPN For The SuperBowl………
    Packers 27
    Chargers 13
    ————–
    Go ahead and put the “fantasy #1 QB” and “preseason Super Bowl pick” trophies in the trophy case, Fred. Potential means dick. It’s results that matter.

29. ACS2 says: Aug 16, 2010 10:49 AM

robert ethen says:
    August 16, 2010 10:14 AM
    ————–
    I see what you did there, putting “Favre” and “definitive word” in the same sentence. Nice try, but I’ll bet those letters didn’t even want to be arranged that way. Did your keyboard resist the effort?

30. buhbay1c says: Aug 16, 2010 10:50 AM

Here comes JimmySmith with an unoriginal Jeff Garcia/Minneapolis gay bar scene post. Jimmy save your energy, those who are locked in the closet shouldn’t throw stones. Denial is an ugly thing.

31. ACS2 says: Aug 16, 2010 10:50 AM

Majik Bullet says:
    August 16, 2010 10:14 AM
    ——————-
    Making up stats again, eh Majik? At least you’re openly using your pet name for Favre on the message boards. Acceptance is the first step.

32. Jack Acid says: Aug 16, 2010 10:51 AM

Vikes should have been figuring this out in February.

33. ACS2 says: Aug 16, 2010 10:52 AM

robert ethen says:
    August 16, 2010 10:25 AM
    ————
    Funny. But real news of a guy chosing between Minnesota and Omaha trumps your lame attempt to spin it.

34. ninjaneer says: Aug 16, 2010 10:53 AM

Fred Finstad said:
    First Computer Pick According To ESPN For The SuperBowl………
    Packers 27
    Chargers 13
    ……………………………….
    computer must have a virus…
    Cowboys 34
    Jets 10

35. VikingFan09 says: Aug 16, 2010 10:55 AM

poonhok says:
    August 16, 2010 9:57 AM
    WarrenMoonGOAT says:
    August 16, 2010 9:49 AM
    =======
    =============
    …and he’s black!
    Black Players have a shine even if they aren’t any good.

36. purpleguy says: Aug 16, 2010 10:55 AM

The way Garcia freelances even more than Lord Favre, I think Chilly’s head would explode if Garcia actually started for the Vikes. But this gives the cheesers something easy to grasp and give us Vikes fans grief about, since it’s the same old story and doesn’t require too much thought (or big words). It’s better than worrying about a thin D-line, injured LBs and a pass defense that noodle arm Jake Delhomme picked apart.

37. lucky jack says: Aug 16, 2010 10:56 AM

This story is silly…cha ching Florio/NBC…whats the over under on Favre stories for the day? Wasn’t it Jeff George 2 weeks ago?

38. smo05d says: Aug 16, 2010 11:04 AM

I would hate to be Jackson or Rosenfelds

39. gmsingh says: Aug 16, 2010 11:20 AM

Why not just pull Steve DeBerg or Vinny Testaverde out of the mothballs? Hell, Joe Montana looks pretty good on that Skechers commercial, too.

40. NCRaiderDon says: Aug 16, 2010 11:28 AM

Sage can play…give’em the ball

41. seals says: Aug 16, 2010 11:28 AM

Fred Finstad just passed Jimmy Smith for biggest tool on PFT. Sorry Jimmy, hand the belt over to the kid that is playing the season out on his play station and then smack talking it on a vikings QB thread.
    Please Packer Fan, don’t change, you make me smile even when I pissed.

42. @Denisceo says: Aug 16, 2010 11:32 AM

This is sad, the whole issue surrounding Brett Favre. Now the Vikings are reaching out to Jeff Garcia. I wish Brett Favre would just say what his intentions are. I know with Favre the vikings are a different team, but all this haggling back and fourth is gonna cost somebody a job. people are gonna lose their jobs whenever he dicides to play. so now Jeff Garcia is delaying his decision to see what favre is gonna do. The treatment that is afforded to Favre in Minnesota is a shame, he is eventually gonna destroy the team there. what about the relationship between coach and player? that 1 can also be thrown out the window. Coach Childress is fining players for being absent to attend funerals, yet Favre gets a pass and a raise. Only in America. Favre please make up your mind.

43. mattgso says: Aug 16, 2010 11:47 AM

Here’s an interesting spin:
    Let’s say faver can’t go and enter Garcia. Then faver announces he’s good to go after the bye week.
    Then what? You could trade Garcia (Oct 19 is deadline) but then you still have too many on the roster. Someone has to get cut/bumped/moved.

44. thirdandgoal says: Aug 16, 2010 12:00 PM

Well…. if Bobby Garcia said it, it must be true, right?
    What agony… do I sign with the ‘Hawks or the Vikings? Com’on, get real. Garcia may be old, but he’s not senile (unlike Bobby).

45. Beam me up Scotty says: Aug 16, 2010 12:01 PM

I don’t see any discrimination here, I heard Garcia is gay. His wife is just window dressing…..

46. Fran the Man says: Aug 16, 2010 12:03 PM

Childress could have had Garcia 2 years ago (AND also passed on; Shuab, Brees and several other QB’s)
    Instead, ‘Ol Chili the QB Guru, hired Brad Johnson, Mike McMahon, Brooks Bolinger, Kelly Holcomb, Gus Ferrotte over the last 4 years to lead our team.
    Other than his complete lack of evaluating QB’s and his lame offensive philosophy, his non-existing communication and leadership skills, I guess the 5 million a year Zigi pays this wacko is well spent. . .
    I’d be willing to wager that the entire Viking lockeroom would rather see Leslie Frazier coaching this team rather than this buffoon.

47. ChillyP says: Aug 16, 2010 12:05 PM

So Jeff Gracia’s dad is now his Publicist? This appears to be more of an effort for Jeff Garcia to shop himself to the Vikes. I would try to do anything to get an NFL job instead of a lowly UFL.

48. Jack Acid says: Aug 16, 2010 12:39 PM

ROFLMAO @ at all the Garcia hate. Last time he started he lead a team to the playoffs, which is I recall, is all that Brett Favre did too.
    He’s also 4 years younger than Favre.

49. Odraude says: Aug 16, 2010 12:52 PM

Sounds crazy … I think this is a Jeff Garcia inspired move to feel out the situation and position himself. Tarsage Rosenjackson can take this talented team to the play offs.

50. Fred Finstad says: Aug 16, 2010 1:36 PM

Don’t worry round head. If the Queens had been mentioned, there would be sperm all over these pages. And, I’ll never change!!!!
    Now back to the Queens next story……..

51. skimbell says: Aug 16, 2010 1:45 PM

Maybe if the queens kick the offer to $20million, Interceptomatic will show up!
    If you pay him he will come.

52. sand0 says: Aug 16, 2010 1:56 PM

The Vikings currently have two experienced QB’s on the roster. So if Favre doesn’t come back, they have a starter and a backup.
    People talk like the Vikes aren’t prepared but what the hell are they supposed to have 3 experienced plan B’s? They are doing exactly what a team unsure of their starter’s future should do. They have one xtra.
    I know this is hard, but you just have to trust that your rival team is doing what it needs to do to crush your dreams again.

53. jebdamone says: Aug 16, 2010 2:53 PM

this is a stupid article and most likely completely false. why would the vikings want garcia regardless of whether favre was coming back or not? tarvaris and sage are both better then garcia at this point in their careers, sounds like a garcia camp rumor in an attempt to get him an nfl job.

54. va4favre says: Aug 16, 2010 3:07 PM

I agree with jebdamone that this story makes no sense. I obviously hope that Favre returns, but I think the Vikes might surprise some people with TJ and Sage if he does not.

55. Majik Bullet says: Aug 16, 2010 4:46 PM

ACS2 says: August 16, 2010 10:50 AM
    ______________
    Yes I made up that stat, figured using fake statistics was the only way to get through to Packer fans, seeing as how made up BS is all they know.
    As for the Brett Baby thing, it was used in mockery of your brother Fred Finstad. Just because you have sexual fantasies about #4 doesn’t mean other guys on here do. I just like to watch him play football.

56. ACS2 says: Aug 17, 2010 9:55 AM

Majik Bullet says:
    August 16, 2010 4:46 PM
    —————-
    Ha! Name one time I’ve made up a stat. Go ahead. I’ll wait.
    —————–
    Majik Bullet says:
    August 16, 2010 4:46 PM
    Just because you have sexual fantasies about #4 doesn’t mean other guys on here do. I just like to watch him play football. And by “football”, I mean the game where he lines up behind me with his hands between my legs and yells, “Hut, hut hut!!” for five minutes. Naked.
    ——————