Charlie Frye to undergo wrist surgery

The ridiculous amount of Raiders quarterbacks on the Oakland roster earlier this offseason has started to sort itself out.

JaMarcus Russell is now free to do whatever JaMarcus Russell wants to do, and Charlie Frye could be out of action for a while following wrist surgery.  Raiders coach Tom Cable said he wasn’t sure how long Frye would be out.

Any length of time would seem to put Frye’s roster spot in jeopardy.   Bruce Gradkowski is the team’s backup quarterback, and Kyle Boller can hold down No. 3 duties.  Frye could be a candidate for injured reserve.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
19 Responses to “Charlie Frye to undergo wrist surgery”
  1. jjcruiser says: Aug 17, 2010 11:34 PM

God bless Boller. How many former first round draft picks who made millions in their first year, got beat around the league for years after, and are fighting for a spot as an inactive on game days for the freakin’ RAIDERS are there? I was never a big fan before now but now I think they should do a story about this guy — he clearly loves the game as much as anybody.

2. raidersteve413 says: Aug 18, 2010 12:00 AM

COLT BRENNEN! DO YOUR HOMEWORK PFT!
    COLT WILL BE A GREAT QB IN THE NFL!
    If he is with the raiders or not he will be great.
    You guys dont know sh@t about the raiders, u guys and espn just make up stuff about them, Raiders run a business like a family and you hacks hate it so much therefore you make up false stories and lies about the greatest organzation in the NFL.
    You dont post my commments you dont want to hire me, for well over 100,000 a year then you will never know..
    my resume?
    I broke the seymoure trade.
    Broke the jason campbell trade.
    Broke the mclain pick.
    ALL BEFORE ALL OF YOU EVEN HAD A CLUE!
    AND I POSTED IT HERE!!!!!!!!!
    you did not belive it ofcourse and did not post my comments(LIke always) but then you post it 5 min after I told white…
    100,000 grand a year. u know my email

3. robert ethen says: Aug 18, 2010 12:10 AM

Cable said that Frye would be out of action “indefinitely” as it sounded much less cruel than “infinitely”, or “forever”.

4. Wet Paper Bag says: Aug 18, 2010 1:22 AM

Damn…JaMarcus has be removed from the equation over 3 months ago and the team has never looked back AND YET 4G’s can’t resist a Russel/Raider smack in the face!
    Do you guys ever leave your air conditioned cubicles (or parent’s basement) to actually report FIRST HAND on at least SOME of the things you write about? All you guys do is take ANOTHER writer’s beat report, ad-lib or make make jokes about that team, then mark the story as your own, but not before inserting URL links to YOUR OWN STORIES; misleading the readers by making them think your re-directing them to the original writer’s story JUST to increase your own page hits to increase ad revenue!
    Fvcking hacks!

5. stiller43 says: Aug 18, 2010 1:46 AM

# raidersteve413 says: August 18, 2010 12:00 AM
    COLT BRENNEN! DO YOUR HOMEWORK PFT!
    COLT WILL BE A GREAT QB IN THE NFL!
    If he is with the raiders or not he will be great.
    my resume?
    I broke the seymoure trade.
    Broke the jason campbell trade.
    Broke the mclain pick.
    ALL BEFORE ALL OF YOU EVEN HAD A CLUE!
    AND I POSTED IT HERE!!!!!!!!!
    100,000 grand a year. u know my email
    _________________________________
    You sound completely loony.
    And that’s not even taking into account your comments about Colt Brennan.

6. cfrs15 says: Aug 18, 2010 3:20 AM

raidersteve413, that is the greatest post I have ever read anywhere. I signed up just to comment on your comment. Awesome.
    I’ll hire you for $100,000 to tell me secrets about the Raider family.
    I also love how he is talking himself up yet spells three players names wrong (Brennan, Seymour (no E), and McClain).
    Also, if you are trying to get someone to hire you, it’s probably not the best idea to curse at them and not use proper capitalization and call them hacks.
    raidersteve413 you’re my hero.

7. tatum32 says: Aug 18, 2010 6:14 AM

raidersteve413 says: August 18, 2010 12:00 AM
    COLT BRENNEN! DO YOUR HOMEWORK PFT!
    COLT WILL BE A GREAT QB IN THE NFL!
    Colt didnt get ANY reps in the opener, but he may get a look…vs. Bears..depends if Campbell struggles again (they may keep him in longer)

8. Madbomber1977 says: Aug 18, 2010 7:04 AM

Raidersteve413 @
    I agree , Brennen will one day get his shot. He has impressed in preseason while in Washington. As a # 3 he will have time to grow and hopefully be able to crack a line-up one day.

9. tv says: Aug 18, 2010 7:33 AM

Just give Charlie some drank.

10. Heinekenfun says: Aug 18, 2010 7:34 AM

Boller’s competing for the #3 QB position in Oakland? C’mon…., this guy could be a solid #2 QB on any team. or the unchallenged starter in Cleveland or Buffalo.

11. hazi59 says: Aug 18, 2010 7:37 AM

Charlie Frye is an awful QB anyways. They would be better served to find a serviceable veteran FA QB.

12. joetoronto says: Aug 18, 2010 8:06 AM

Frye should be a coach, great mind, weak arm.

13. Black QB White RB says: Aug 18, 2010 8:31 AM

Colt Brennan, no doubt. The next Montana. You can see it coming….
    Raider family….
    Although I would like to see Campbell do real well, just to stick it in Snyder’s eye. And I’m a Redskin fan. He ain’t very good, but he ALWAYS handled himself with quiet class and dignity, even when he was getting stomped on by the media, his owner, etc.

14. blacktoothgrin says: Aug 18, 2010 8:58 AM

That’s too bad for Charlie, he was a good #3 last year until he got hurt.
    Boller was good in the first preseason game, but Gradkowski is #2 based on last season. Hopefully they keep Brennen on the practice squad since Gradkowski is injury prone, the kid has a lot of potential.

15. Ray Guy says: Aug 18, 2010 11:13 AM

An over abundance at quarterback. What a nice problem to have. So Greg, why is this “rediculous”?
    That’s why there is a preseason system. It’s time to evaluate talent (or lack thereof) in game time situations.
    Maybe you could have written that the Raiders have a glut of back up quarterbacks instead of calling it “rediculous”. Maybe you would have been viewed as credible instead of writing your usual hack pieces.

16. Raiders757 says: Aug 18, 2010 11:51 AM

# joetoronto says: August 18, 2010 8:06 AM
    Frye should be a coach, great mind, weak arm.
    —————————————————
    I agree. Frye is a student of the game, and would make a better assistant coach than he would a QB. With all his injuries, it seems it would be a smart move for him.
    Now as for the QB situation in Oakland. Boller or Brennen might be the best QB’s on the roster. Campbell has yet to sell me on his skills, and I’ve watched most of his NFL career living here in Skins country. I pray this is the year he breaks out, but if he doesn’t, I have no problem seeing him get yanked.

17. waklaboo says: Aug 18, 2010 2:39 PM

Hope Brennan gets a chance to showcase his skills against the Bears and makes it through the 1st cut. Seems to be a quick learner and with good instincts.

18. realityonetwo says: Aug 18, 2010 7:18 PM

No Charlie? There goes my fantasy football season. Just kidding…

19. tango says: Aug 19, 2010 7:09 PM

Next QB is Aldavisthinksheisagod. The guy is a legend in his own mind !