Jack Del Rio wants no part of a quarterback controversy

After an offseason where Jack Del Rio wasn’t shy about criticizing his quarterback David Garrard, the Jaguars coach is now rallying behind Garrard.  Sort of.

Del Rio declined to talk much about Garrard’s preseason opening performance Monday, simply joking Garrard looked “trim” and “good in the teal jersey.”  Del Rio didn’t want to be drawn in to a quarterback controversy despite backup Luke McCown’s big game.

“I wouldn’t even care to get into that kind of discussion,” Del Rio said. “I
would think even getting into questions like that would show a lack of
perspective. We’ve got a lot of things to do better and we’ll just keep
our head down and keep working at it and [he's] certainly not going to
get caught up in that kind of discussion after a couple of series in our
first preseason game.”

It’s the only sensible approach, especially if you’ve ever watched Luke McCown start multiple games in a row.  Garrard is simply a better player overall, and it’s not that close.

Any move to McCown should come out of desperation, not a mid-August preseason game.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Jack Del Rio wants no part of a quarterback controversy”
  1. Nate is Gay for Brady says: Aug 17, 2010 12:54 PM

Luke McClown will never even be a mediocre QB.

2. jsbeck says: Aug 17, 2010 12:55 PM

I dont think they should have let Byron go.
    BIG mistake
    Boycottfootball.com

3. BIG Dawg 303 says: Aug 17, 2010 12:59 PM

Regardless of who the Jags start this year, Garrard or McCown, Del Rio will be “keeping his down” all year in frustration!!

4. BIG Dawg 303 says: Aug 17, 2010 1:04 PM

Gregg, your killing us here with all these facinating news worthy stories that your breaking!!

5. Alualuwho says: Aug 17, 2010 1:10 PM

This is the only sensible thing you have ever said about the Jags…EVER. Oh it’s Rosenthal, Nevermind. Florio still sucks…worse than McCown.

6. AlanSaysYo says: Aug 17, 2010 1:10 PM

If Jack Del Rio doesn’t want a QB controversy, he’ll need to stop pretending that David Garrard is a starting QB and find a real one.

7. brady12 says: Aug 17, 2010 1:11 PM

Hey Del Rio…first get a Quarterback…then you can worry about controversy!!!

8. cleanface says: Aug 17, 2010 1:14 PM

Has Del Rio gotten rid of that leather jacket yet? He looks like the bully in a bad 80′s movie in that thing.

9. Chiefs2010 says: Aug 17, 2010 1:14 PM

David Garrard had like 6 good starts…3 years ago..
    Dude’s the worse qb in that division and the Jaguars, like my Chiefs, are a 2nd tier team…
    /takes shot

10. Alfie says: Aug 17, 2010 1:15 PM

They haven’t been that far apart in practice/scrimmage sans one day in Atlanta as far as performance.
    Del Rio is going to have some fun if Saturday is like last Friday, that’s for sure.

11. Chiefs2010 says: Aug 17, 2010 1:22 PM

@Big Dawg 303
    check your grammar and spelling
    take that back across the 8 mile, bro

12. brasho says: Aug 17, 2010 1:27 PM

Rosenthal, in your 13 years of existence, have you actually ever seen Luke McCown start multiple games in a row? I have. In the 2007 season he started 3 games at the end of ths season and had a rating of well over 90 in those starts. Quite frankly, it was his performances that won the Bucs one of those games and kept them in the other two. You know ZERO, Rosenthal.

13. rbais2 says: Aug 17, 2010 1:32 PM

Don’t you need to have a quarterback in order to have a QB controversy?

14. jj jones says: Aug 17, 2010 1:33 PM

Jimmy Clausen would have been a nice option.

15. TryTheVeal says: Aug 17, 2010 1:40 PM

He just wants to keep his 57-55 record as a head coach intact, and continue his level of mediocrity….

16. David Sham says: Aug 17, 2010 1:44 PM

17. realitypolice says: Aug 17, 2010 1:57 PM

It’s true that Del Rio has more important things to worry about- like whether the Florida housing market will come back in time for him to be able to sell his house without losing too much money after he gets fired this winter.

18. Black QB White RB says: Aug 17, 2010 2:03 PM

is there a franchise in Jacksonville?

19. Orakpwnd says: Aug 17, 2010 2:05 PM

cleanface says:
    August 17, 2010 1:14 PM
    ————————————————–
    Nicely done!

20. jj jones says: Aug 17, 2010 2:06 PM

“David Sham says:
    August 17, 2010 1:44 PM
    Can’t wait til the Jags move to LA so the 49ers can have another team to beat up on twice a year.”
    When was the last time the Niners were even in the playoffs?

21. mij420 says: Aug 17, 2010 2:23 PM

Clausen fell to the second round and Tebow to the late first, and both have huge question marks surrounding their ability to succeed at the professional level. But they are both white, so I guess that makes up for their obvious deficiencies?
    Yet all the comments here suggest that maybe the Jags should have overdrafted another mediocre QB (like Clausen or Tebow). Or just cut Garrard and put in Luke McCown.
    That’s a great idea. Let’s replace experience with inexperience AND mediocrity. Or we could wait for Gene to find a QB worth drafting and still buy tickets in the meantime.
    Is this QB crap yet another whiny excuse to not buy tickets?

22. Heinekenfun says: Aug 17, 2010 2:44 PM

Don’t you need at least ONE good QB to have a QB controversy?

23. Alualuwho says: Aug 17, 2010 3:12 PM

Chiefs2010 you are a dumbass….313 is Detroit….not 303…..bro.

24. FinFan68 says: Aug 17, 2010 4:22 PM

Seems to me that the easiest way to avoid a QB controversy is to go out and get a good QB. You really only have controversies when there are two mediocre QBs or an old vet and a young kid coming into his own…In this instance, it is the two mediocre QBs on the roster.

25. luderiffic says: Aug 17, 2010 4:40 PM

Really, were playing the race card here? Nobody gives a damn if the QB is white or black, only if hes good. I’m so tired of the race card being played in all facets of our lives.
    Mij420…your the problem in this country.

26. Jag4Life says: Aug 17, 2010 4:53 PM

David Sham says:
    August 17, 2010 1:44 PM
    ————————————————
    Wow, seriously. Your 49ers haven’t been relevant since acid wash jeans and reebok pumps.
    Looooo-seeeeeeer!

27. samh says: Aug 17, 2010 6:06 PM

Alfie, quit acting like you’re some kind of scout. If you had any talent as a talent evaluator, you wouldn’t be doing… whatever it is you do.
    For those who want the Jags to go out and get a “real” quarterback… where, exactly? I think they already had the draft? Is there a Free Agent QB out there who’s better? Is there a guy you can trade for that is DEFINITELY better and who can learn the system in a couple of weeks? Fact is David’s the best they have right now and next year it will almost certainlyb e somebody else.

28. mij420 says: Aug 17, 2010 6:37 PM

@luderrific:
    Dude, I’m white. I said those things because I have heard so many racist things come out of the mouths of Jag fans. (I don’t know who “Nobody” is, but he sure does run his mouth a lot.) I didn’t say those things because I’m a black guy who has a chip on his shoulder.
    Jacksonville is a white town with a lot of racist country people living in it. That is changing but it has not changed yet. That is the truth of the matter, and I wish it were different.
    But now I think that you are the problem. Did you think I was black? Is that why you said I was the problem with this country?
    Are things different now that you know that I’m white? Or am I the problem because I’m merely observant, and I bothered to point out that criticism of Garrard and Leftwich might be motivated by race?

29. Jville808 says: Aug 17, 2010 11:50 PM

mij420 says:
    August 17, 2010 2:23 PM
    “Excuses, excuses. It doesn’t seem like Jags fans will ever rally behind a black QB. Both Leftwich and Garrard led the Jaguars to the postseason.”
    ________________________________
    Newsflash: The last 3 QB’s to start for the Jaguars have been black, and you STILL manage to pull a race card? I’d like to pull one myself right here and say that maybe THAT’S why this team can’t seem to get past mediocrity…just sayin…

30. harloeisdead says: Aug 18, 2010 3:17 AM

You guys know what would be hilarious? Stick with me here, this would be so gold. If someone commented and was all, “QB controversy?”, and then they were like, “I thought you had to have a QB to have a controversy” or something along those lines. Hahah I know, I know, it’s a little over the top, but someone should TOTALLY do it.