More bad news for the Bills

With two key members of the Buffalo Bills’ offensive backfield (Fred Jackson and Mashawn Lynch) out for the balance of the preseason if not longer, a key member of the defensive backfield is now injured, too.

Safety Jairus Byrd, a finalist for NFL defensive rookie of the year in 2009, is out indefinitely after undergoing his third groin surgery in 13 months.

“It looks like he’s going to be out for a while,” coach Chan Gailey said Wednesday, per the Associated Press.  “We’re
hoping first game, but it may be not.”  The Bills open the season on September 12, against the Dolphins.

The injury is related to the groin injury that ended Byrd’s rookie season prematurely.  He also had surgery to repair a sports hernia during training camp last year.

Gailey said that Byrd’s groin had been bothering him throughout training camp this year.  The condition became worse on Monday night.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
43 Responses to “More bad news for the Bills”
  1. Hairy Sachs says: Aug 18, 2010 7:05 PM

Jim Kelly is coming out of retirement?
    Bruce Smith is gay?

2. Hairy Sachs says: Aug 18, 2010 7:07 PM

Buttermaker is the new O-Coordinator?

3. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Aug 18, 2010 7:12 PM

Why doesn’t Denver merge with Buffalo? Together, they make one average team.

4. SomeFans says: Aug 18, 2010 7:18 PM

Too bad… I like what Byrd did last season. Still think the Dlphins will steamroll them at the opener but Byrd was 1 player I wanted to see out there.

5. Iā™„Patriots says: Aug 18, 2010 7:18 PM

Wow, you really have to feel sorry for the Bills sometimes.

6. Sactown49er says: Aug 18, 2010 7:18 PM

Ouch

7. Jacksonjames says: Aug 18, 2010 7:19 PM

i’m done being a lifelong bills fan. how can i be a fan of a team that obviously just doesn’t care anymore?
    i honestly do not like them this year. they , and the rest of the football world, knew what we needed (QB) to do well this year, and didn’t address it. oh i forgot, they’re ‘rebuilding’! so does that mean they stick with what they know will surely make them lose this year and go for #1 in the draft next year?? fans don’t want to see that. they, we , want wins every year.
    actually , i wouldn’t even mind as much if they lost with a new QB.. at least they tried…
    but to put this team behind edwards again is completely insulting to fans ..
    they’re going nowhere..
    put levi brown in and i’ll watch more games… but the talk around town is hoping that brian broom or whatever the hell his name is does well tomorrow… this team is hoping a guy from green bays practice squad is going to get us somewhere… pathetic…
    totally pathetic..

8. WVUColumbus says: Aug 18, 2010 7:19 PM

Huh. Buffalo has a team?

9. JoeSixPack says: Aug 18, 2010 7:29 PM

All of this is for the best – even if in perfect health the Bills would have been looking at 4th place in a very tough AFC East.
    Better that they phone it in this year, get the #1 draft pick in 2011 and, if there is a lockout for all of 2011, the #1 pick the following year too.
    I’ve got tons of respect for the Bills and their generally smart football fans – but this string of mediocrity needs to end.

10. lurch's nyquil says: Aug 18, 2010 7:32 PM

Jackson brown, dude I am a lifelong skins fan. I have not given up, there have been times I wanted to, I just couldnt. Its the game we love for better or worse.

11. Roxtar10 says: Aug 18, 2010 7:34 PM

Jacksonjames says:
    August 18, 2010 7:19 PM
    ———
    ** Also see: All Raiders fans everywhere. Carry this tradition another 5-10 years ….THEN come talk.

12. CanadianVikingFan says: Aug 18, 2010 7:39 PM

He got cheated out of DRoY, because of some roid user. The kid really has talent, a shame about the injuries.

13. FinFan68 says: Aug 18, 2010 7:40 PM

Maybe he should eat some Toasted Oats or Flutie Flakes. Too bad. He was the Bills’ best player, but at least he is not out for the season.

14. sevenwords says: Aug 18, 2010 7:43 PM

Here we go with the idiots and the insightful and informative comments.
    Wait till your teams suck for an extended period of time. Just remember that.

15. Crowder911 says: Aug 18, 2010 7:44 PM

with the 1st pick in the 2011 draft
    the Buffalo Bills select….
    sad to see a promising talent as Byrd going down. but if there is one area the Bills are deep its the Backfield. they have enough talent left there.

16. TheWien says: Aug 18, 2010 7:45 PM

The bad fortunes of the Bills will not turn around until Ralph Wilson relinquishes that monkey paw he mysteriously recieved about 9 or 10 years ago.

17. realitypolice says: Aug 18, 2010 7:46 PM

You mean besides the fact that they have a 71 year old first time GM, the most uninspiring coaching hire in 25 years, and not one single NFL quality QB on the roster?
    This team isn’t even trying. Their fans deserve better.

18. jerry's kids says: Aug 18, 2010 7:49 PM

Bills and Skins were in the same boat this offseason. Needs OL and QB. Bills did nothing. Skins got Trent Williams, Artis Hicks, Jamaal Brown, and Donaovan McNabb. They both have mediocre WR’s but I’ll take the Skins anyday in 2010.

19. Hooby says: Aug 18, 2010 7:49 PM

toooo bad. i thought the bills could actually be decent this year, looks like maybe not

20. Sintalkin says: Aug 18, 2010 7:58 PM

Yeah that sucks for this team, being a skins fan, I understand the frustration…

21. RJK says: Aug 18, 2010 8:06 PM

is there a more cursed team in the NFL…like damn, if i played for the bills i’d be scared for my life during every lighting storm, every flight, every time i went out the front door for the paper

22. billzfan12 says: Aug 18, 2010 8:46 PM

jacksonjames…,
    how can you write off your team.. Yeah they are killing us fans but when the oldman sells off thirty % things will start looking up. hell they can’t get any worse

23. Meldog says: Aug 18, 2010 8:50 PM

get the surgery now…..better than in week 2 of the regular season.
    The nice thing about being expected to do nothing this season; The Bills can only meet or exceed expectations this year. I think we aren’t doing too bad….our injured players all look to come back this year (most likely before the start of the season). Anyone who thinks that Jimmy Clausen would have been our answer is an idiot. Why gamble early in the draft on a QB. This was probably the worst QB class in the past 10 years. Bradford may be worth his pick, but even he is a big gamble. I think Edwards has the tools, but he needs to get a helmet that fits better so he stops getting concussions (or something). The offensive line needs to get him some time.
    I think that Steve Johnson is going to be solid. He has performed well in the preseason over and over again….looks like he will get a shot this year to be our #2 WR….might be a fantasy sleeper

24. lieutenant Dan's Ice Cream says: Aug 18, 2010 8:50 PM

Damn shame man. Byrd is a freaking stud, very exciting and promising guy.
    Well look on the bright side Bills fans. You’ll get another young and exciting player next year in Jake Locker. If your teams smart that is.

25. thunder5x says: Aug 18, 2010 8:52 PM

Oh quit your whining already, I’m a Bucs fan.

26. Byrd Is The Word says: Aug 18, 2010 9:02 PM

Jacksonjames- C’mon man. Whatever they do this year, it can’t be worse than Rob Johnson.
    Hopefully we get all these injuries out of the way now. Plus, this should give George Wilson some playing time, who IMO should be starting over Whitner anyways.

27. xStaticOnRadio says: Aug 18, 2010 9:08 PM

It’s going to suck being without the defensive rookie of the year.

28. Jack Acid says: Aug 18, 2010 9:12 PM

That just blows.
    I’m no Bills fan but I sympathize with them from afar. I’d love to see them do well again, I miss their prominence in the AFC.

29. Laxer37 says: Aug 18, 2010 9:17 PM

When I read the headline I thought this was going to be a story about Scott “wide right” Norwood.

30. HornedHelmet says: Aug 18, 2010 9:26 PM

The Jills could go 0-16. What a worthless team. Move them.

31. Redtrek03 says: Aug 18, 2010 9:30 PM

CANADA’S TEAM….next year.

32. TheSleepness says: Aug 18, 2010 9:36 PM

ever since the music city miracle the bills have been downhill.

33. BigBear123 says: Aug 18, 2010 9:55 PM

after undergoing his third groin surgery in 13 months
    ————-
    One is hell. 3 in a year and they guy is in his 2nd year.
    Too bad he is not a QB in Minnesota, the coach will rub it for him whenever he asks.

34. Blackn'Gold says: Aug 18, 2010 10:48 PM

Hopefully this situation isn’t permanent and the players will see some playing time in the regular season. When a team is starting over, patience has to be an important aspect.
    GO STEELERS!

35. Billistic says: Aug 18, 2010 10:49 PM

How does it make any sense to sit on an injury for almost the entire off season, and then have surgery right before the season starts? This guy did the same thing last year, his rookie season. The Bills had another guy, linebacker Angelo Crowell, who did the same sort of thing, but with him, the Bills immediately placed him on IR for the season.
    Team IQ, including owner and front office

36. OLDCRACKER says: Aug 18, 2010 11:23 PM

Bills, as a Browns fan, I feel your pain. Keep the faith and maybe things will fall into place.
    Things could always be worse, you could live in Cincinnati!

37. jshawaii says: Aug 18, 2010 11:29 PM

Oooohhh, BigBear, another rub job on Favre. Way to hijack a thread!
    js

38. bobinpuertorico says: Aug 18, 2010 11:50 PM

Just one more stop on the road leading to the Toronto Bills or will it be the LA Bills.

39. Kappy says: Aug 19, 2010 12:36 AM

Meldog:
    Steve Johnson to be a fantasy sleeper? For a receiver to put up decent numbers you need a QB to throw him the ball. If Johnson could throw the ball to himself, then maybe he’s a sleeper. However, not a single QB on that roster has the potential to break 2500 yards this year; it’s a joke. When I get frustrated with my team, I can always look at the Bills & Raiders, then smile.

40. mcgr8569 says: Aug 19, 2010 12:45 AM

do we really feel that bad for a team that got the best offensive player in the draft? Sure, they didn’t really need him, but C.J. Spiller is a combination of Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson. I am so glad that I got the Sunday Ticket just so I can watch him!

41. Chad Pennington's Noodle Arm says: Aug 19, 2010 12:59 AM

Week one begins the first of at least 13 losses for Buffalo.
    I’m sorry that Ralph Wilson is more incompetent than Al Davis, Bills fans.

42. SeanKav9 says: Aug 19, 2010 1:17 AM

Redtrek03- I will stand at the Peace Bridge until they shoot me dead before I let the Bills march to Toronto. I made up my mind after this post that I’m not going to the opener. There’s only so much pain I can take from the Bills and I saw there practice Monday night, and I should be good enough until week 4. I’m holding out for a 2-2 start until I attend a game this season. I figure if I’m at home or a bar there’s some where to escape to, but to be at the game will be utterly tragic. But I’ll get over it, and I won’t mean anything I said about them after reading this post, and I’ll be believing for a few weeks and distraught again the next, but never will the Bills cross the border.

43. Jclops34 says: Aug 19, 2010 4:03 PM

This is awesome!!
    Just when I thought we were gonna finish up 2 – 14, the Byrd man gets shelved.