Cushing's tactic, though unsuccessful, will open the door for more attempts

As MDS pointed out earlier today, the NFL has decided to uphold the four-game suspension imposed on Texans linebacker Brian Cushing.

But even though the league essentially found that, as we all suspected, overtrained athlete syndrome is as real as uromysitisis poisoning (or anal fissures), the fact that the NFL opted to give Texans owner Bob McNair an audience regarding the supposed medical evidence supporting the latest lame excuse offered up by Cushing’s camp means that every cheater who gets caught cheating will now include in his standard anti-cheating P.R. playbook a last-ditch, send-the-owner-to-New-York attempt to persuade the league to scuttle the suspension.

At that point, the goal isn’t to change the league’s mind, but to persuade the fans and the media that the player didn’t cheat.

Even if, you know, he did.

Meanwhile, McNair now has a friend for life in Brian Cushing.  And all it took was a trip to Manhattan.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Cushing's tactic, though unsuccessful, will open the door for more attempts”
  1. foz says: Aug 19, 2010 8:35 PM

What did Cushing do to Florio? Seriously.

2. Mcnabbed5 says: Aug 19, 2010 8:37 PM

He is gonna come back week 5 and wreck people!!! FIGHT ON!

3. manofaiki says: Aug 19, 2010 8:53 PM

None of these cheaters ever man up and admit it.
    “Oh ha, yeah. You got me. Sorry folks. They’re right. I cheated. I didn’t want a level playing field. I needed that edge against the guys competing honestly. Again, sorry for this.”
    No, it’s always “My trainer gave me something, I don’t know what it was but I took it anyway.” Or “My supplements were tainted.” Or “I just produced 200x the natural level of this hormone because I train REALLY REALLY hard.”
    They ever catch him again suspend him for the season.

4. taudaddy79 says: Aug 19, 2010 9:00 PM

That f’in douchebag. I hate him more than just about anyone that I can think of.
    First, he blames the elevated levels on what he “thought” was a cancerous tumor. That right there spits in the face of millions of people (including me) throughout the world.
    Then, he abandons that theory to say that they have settled on overtrained athlete syndrome….
    You f’ing c##ksucker. I will forever hate you. I hope you blowout your knee and your career ends. You will burn in hell.

5. pats suck, blow and cheat* says: Aug 19, 2010 9:15 PM

Goodell should have given that d bad an extra game for wasting his time. McNair is pathetic.
    Same town that thinks Roidger is being railroaded.

6. realitypolice says: Aug 19, 2010 9:36 PM

I don’t understand your logic here. The league, by allowing this extra appeal, has succeeded in setting the precedent that unproven scientific theories will be rejected. The next time some team calls the commish with some unsupported theory, Goodell can simply point to the Cushing case, state that the case sets the precedent that such theories will not be entertained, and deny the request.
    And do you really think the Texans changed the mind of a single media member or fan? The answer is no. So why would future cheaters think this method would be effective?

7. heartstl says: Aug 19, 2010 9:38 PM

manboob cheater

8. Cushing Will Kill You says: Aug 19, 2010 10:00 PM

@ Pats suck…
    Uh, in Houston we think Clemens is a cheater and a liar. What makes you think Houstonians think otherwise?
    And we pretty much think the same thing about Cush. We just like him more.

9. realitypolice says: Aug 19, 2010 10:32 PM

taudaddy79 says:
    August 19, 2010 9:00 PM
    ===================
    I’m not sure what you are trying to say here. Could you be a little clearer?
    Just kidding- I had the same reaction when he threw out the cancer excuse. It was a slap in the face of every one of my loved ones who have battled this horrific disease.
    These guys don’t get it- instead of throwing out outlandish excuse after outlandish excuse, they should just take their penalty and make sure they never test positive again.
    The public will forgive and forget a player who takes this path much more quickly than one who insists on keeping his name in the headlines by pursuing these ridiculous denials.

10. robert ethen says: Aug 19, 2010 10:57 PM

Florio doesn’t believe in anal fissures because he’s never been able to locate one. Even with both hands and a flashlight.

11. heysharpshooter says: Aug 19, 2010 11:24 PM

Did my last comment not pass the test?
    Okay, how about this one, with less vigor:
    Florio, I believe that Brian Cushing used some form of PED. However, I believe that you have been unfair and biased against Cushing because YOU made the mistake of reporting a failed drug test at the Combine for all the USC linebackers before finding out if the story you posted was accurate. When it was not, Cushing and co blasted your TMZ of the NFL site for it, and deservedly so. Now, you have it out for him. Even when other players throw out stories, like Gerald McGrath did when he claimed a “supplement”, you let them pass. You have not given Cushing anything close to the same understanding. And previous comments about players like Shawne Merriman, and the fact you were not even aware Julius Peppers failed a test(and STILL won DROTY, an award you thought should have been taken from Cushing), show an obvious bias. I think you should not be taken seriously on this issue. I think your integrety as a journalist is in question.

12. Free_Ryan_Leaf says: Aug 19, 2010 11:50 PM

@Taudady79…..wow brother…tell us how you really feel. Jokes aside, you are 100% correct.

13. BobsCountryBunker says: Aug 19, 2010 11:59 PM

Is it too late to claim “OAS”?
    Roger Clemens

14. robert ethen says: Aug 20, 2010 12:39 AM

Cushing took and passed a polygraph test concerning his ALLEGED use of steroids. No one here, in the media, or at league headquarters could state that they know conclusively that Brian cheated and pass the same test. NO ONE. So shut up already.

15. GRpatriot says: Aug 20, 2010 8:44 AM

I’m surprised he didn’t use the,” woman in a man’s body defense? ”
    Might have worked? Why else would his female hormones be elevated?

16. OnZlaut says: Aug 20, 2010 12:52 PM

For what it is worth, for all of you that want to gang bang him becasue he said he was afraid he had a tumor, it was the NFL that pointed out, in the letter the sent him when he failed the test, that elevated levels of this hormone could mean he has a tumor and he should get checked out by a doctor immediately.
    That is why he said in the press conference that he has been walking around thinking he might have Cancer. He didn’t explain it very well because he is young and not media savvy, but it was the NFL who brought up the whole cancer thing to HIM. He didn’t just make it up.

17. Joe says: Aug 20, 2010 2:38 PM

taudaddy79 says:
    August 19, 2010 9:00 PM
    —————————————-
    Florio is that you????

18. 23 says: Aug 20, 2010 3:23 PM

Wow, you guys are WAAAAY too uptight. Take a laxative or something …
    The kid only failed this one drug test, so I think the media should stop putting out there that he’s been linked to PED’s since high school. If you have no proof (and no one’s ever come forward with any), it’s a non-issue.
    He was given a lie detector test and passed (take THAT, Mike Shannahan !). True, they’re not fool proof, but passing the test and having some (lame) medical … let’s call it “reasoning” … on your side is enough to give it just a liiiiitle bit of plausibility.
    He was convincing enough that Bob McNair, who is a VERY smart guy, was willing to put his reputation on the line with the Commissioner, the league, his fellow owners and the NFL fans to have the suspension reconsidered. Appealing a decision, no matter what (lame) excuse is still an option for any player facing suspension. Not many owners would do go to bat for a player the way McNair did and I suspect fewer will do it going forward considering its lack of success. If nothing else, it may give a prospective free agent something to consider, that the owner cares about his players.
    Now if Kubiak could only manage the game clock and not let his huevos shrink up when it’s time to make a gutsy decision, this team might finally make it to the playoffs. The talent is there and they DO have the coolest logo of any team ….

19. taudaddy79 says: Aug 20, 2010 10:07 PM

@Joe, OnZlaut, and 23.
    F@@k you. You’re defending a f**king c**ksucking douchebag. Why? Because he’s a kid!?!?! That is no excuse.
    Cushing will burn in hell, and I pray every day that he blows out his knee.
    Think that is a little harsh? Well, then F**K YOU too then.
    Cushing, I hope you read this and want to get a hold of me. I will sk**l f**k you until you retire…I hate you.