Asante Samuel gets a few things off his chest about the media, Belichick

A. Samuel.jpgAt least Asante Samuel is honest about the fact he doesn’t relish talking to the media.

“The only thing I need you guys [the media] for is to help me get into the Hall of Fame,” Samuel said in a rare long sitdown interview with Geoff Mosher of the News Journal. “That’s what they tell me.”

Samuel gets a few things off his chest in the conversation.  He thinks he’s vastly unappreciated and this partly comes down to his refusal to play the media game.

Yelling at reporters doesn’t help, but we think Samuel has a point.  Players like Samuel and Randy Moss that treat media with disdain don’t often get the benefit of the doubt.  I’m always surprised how many reporters openly admit they give breaks to guys who are “great in the locker room.”

Samuel isn’t a great tackler to put it mildly, but he has more interceptions (42) than any player since he’s entered the league.  Samuel believes his lack of football pedigree and icy relationship with Bill Belichick have hurt his public perception.

“I ain’t never said it, but Belichick, I just felt like he had a thing
for me,” Samuel said. “He had something against me. I have no idea why.
He was going to start Troy Brown, a receiver, at nickel [corner] and
I’m over here sitting healthy and he don’t want to even play me.”

Mosher tracks down the example Samuel is referring to, and pokes holes in the theory.

We’re also not sure Samuel is so underrated.  Samuel is a highly paid three-time Pro Bowler with plenty of postseason records.  His legacy is doing just fine.  He’s not Hall of Fame good, but only a handful of cornerbacks have consistently been better over the last five years.  Of course, Samuel thinks he stands apart.

“I know in my heart ain’t nobody out there doing what I’m doing,” Samuel
said. “If you can’t respect that, you’re hatin’. Anybody else had those
stats, people would be going crazy.”

Permalink 129 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
129 Responses to “Asante Samuel gets a few things off his chest about the media, Belichick”
  1. EverybodyGotAIDS says: Aug 20, 2010 12:01 PM

The poor guy. He doesn’t get treated like the greatest thing since sliced bread by everyone in the world. Also, how the hell are you going to feed a family on $9.5 million/year? Someone get this man a raise, STAT.

2. The Real Shuxion says: Aug 20, 2010 12:03 PM

“I ain’t never said it, but Belichick, I just felt like he had a thing for me,” Samuel said. “He had something against me.”
    Something like Super Bowl winning interceptions going through your hands.

3. jersey73 says: Aug 20, 2010 12:04 PM

Wow, my grammar checker just hanged itself.

4. Mike says: Aug 20, 2010 12:04 PM

If anyone actually watched Eagles football games they could tell you he was a great tackler and hard hitter all season until he got that neck injury. After that he pussed out on a few tackles but I mean the man could have ended his career tackling head first when he got the neck injury. Give him credit, hes a great player.

5. bigdaddywaite says: Aug 20, 2010 12:06 PM

Well he certainly isn’t getting any Hall of Fame votes for grammer. “Im over here sitting healthy and he don’t want to even play me.” You truly have to wonder what these guys would do if they didn’t have football.

6. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Aug 20, 2010 12:09 PM

he’s absolutely right
    keepin doin your thang Asante

7. Marv_Sleezy says: Aug 20, 2010 12:10 PM

He is a me player, always worrying about statistics (other than tackling that is)
    Hes good, but not good enough so that offenses wont even through his way, thats why hes got the picks.

8. Justicemaster says: Aug 20, 2010 12:12 PM

It really amazes me how many of these athletes are illiterate. Cant these guys afford a tutor? Its disgustingly sad.

9. HarrisonHits says: Aug 20, 2010 12:14 PM

I loved Sante when he played for the Pats and was bummed they couldn’t work it out to keep him. But the “waaaaa waaaaa nobody loves me enough” crap is just plain pathetic. Guess I’m a hater.

10. NoRingsForYou says: Aug 20, 2010 12:15 PM

“I ain’t never said it”
    “ain’t nobody out there doing what I’m doing”
    I’m tired of hearing athletes who had free rides to college yet still ain’t got no idea how to talk

11. Beau says: Aug 20, 2010 12:15 PM

Well, maybe Belichick has a reason to be icy toward him. He did drop a game winning INT the play before the lucky helmet catch.

12. Rhapsody says: Aug 20, 2010 12:17 PM

Letting Eli MAnning’s pass slip through his fingers – which would have iced the Pats SB victory – hasn’t exactly enamored Belichick with him, either. Samuel managed to alter the legacy of the team, coach, and QB on that one play where he lost focus. Perhaps he was celebrating prematurely.

13. Tuffguy says: Aug 20, 2010 12:17 PM

The only way he gets into the HOF would be carrying Derrell Revis’ pads.

14. birdmancometh says: Aug 20, 2010 12:17 PM

Whatever motivates you Asante. Go get the ball.

15. SomeFans says: Aug 20, 2010 12:19 PM

Just another example of an ignorant jock… how do these clown get thru college?

16. Snooky says: Aug 20, 2010 12:21 PM

Asante Samuel is a ME first player and an egomaniac. He wonders why Bill Belichamp didn’t have confidence in him? Simple, Asante never listened. He takes too many risks going for the INT for his stats and lets big plays go by. He also cant tackle. But hey, his mouth works as well as anyone in the league.
    Hold onto that ball in the 2007 Superbowl and he makes history, instead his heart wasn’t into it, nor his head. He was like a huge zit on the face of a gorgeous model. I hope he continues not to speak to the media. I dont want to hear what he has to say.

17. Heinekenfun says: Aug 20, 2010 12:22 PM

Why is it surprising that reporters give ‘breaks’ to guys who are good in the locker room. Objective journalism has no place in sports…, hence.., this website.

18. hmitch05 says: Aug 20, 2010 12:25 PM

Assante-as a season ticketholder here is my spin:
    Shut up and tackle somebody!!

19. Delt46 says: Aug 20, 2010 12:25 PM

20. sportsbruh3 says: Aug 20, 2010 12:25 PM

the patriots are CHEATERS!!!!
    nobody is checkin on them no more but espn

21. Johnnydrama says: Aug 20, 2010 12:27 PM

jersey73 says:
    August 20, 2010 12:04 PM
    Wow, my grammar checker just hanged itself.
    ……. Hung itself. Hanged??? Get your “grammar checker” unhanged.

22. Opie says: Aug 20, 2010 12:30 PM

“…great tackler and hard hitter all season until he got that neck injury.”
    —-I wouldn’t go quite that far.
    As for the missed interception, well that happens a lot and to far lesser players than Asante. In reality, there are a lot of players that can’t play for Belicheat. No shame in that department.
    Most interceptions since in the league = stud. As for the lack of respect, he’s only talking about the media. His teammates and the Eagles give him respect. The fans love him and hope that he does improve on his tackling…if 1st preseason game is any indication, he’s working on it.

23. JoeSixPack says: Aug 20, 2010 12:31 PM

Players who are more concerned about wins than stats love Belichick.
    Players more concerned about stats than wins hate Belichick.
    Samuel never liked the team defense concept of the Patriots. It works and has brought three Lombardi Trophies to New England, but it requires that players play their roles and not gamble to gain INTs.
    Players who want to pad their stats and earn a big payday can’t stand that. By gambling to gain INTs players like Asante give up more big plays than they gain.
    The Eagles seem to have figured this out and probably lament overpaying for Samuel now.

24. Pats Section 214 says: Aug 20, 2010 12:33 PM

The guy has”Get Paid” tattooed on his arm. That says it all.

25. birdmancometh says: Aug 20, 2010 12:33 PM

Wow, half of these comments are about his grammar? Give me a break.

26. $MurfMoney$ says: Aug 20, 2010 12:35 PM

Hall of Fame ? Keep dreaming Asante! I can’t wait til the Cowboys abuse you again this yr . Whether it be Miles all day….or Ogletree running a screen to your side of the field because ummm…….you can’t tackle! You are a decent corner ….but with the strides Jenkins is making….you are not even the best in the division…..sleep on that ! And please…….Eagles fans….don’t respond….just remember this : 0-3…..a shutout…..a blowout playoff lose…..and the the end of your “franchise QB”!!!!!

27. Vince3in4yrs says: Aug 20, 2010 12:35 PM

28. jjcruiser says: Aug 20, 2010 12:35 PM

I couldn’t agree more with these comments. Belichick never “had it in” for Samuel; he started him as a rookie towards the end of that season. It’s all of us Patriots fans who can’t forget him dropping a 19-0 winning interception in the biggest superbowl in history that “has it in for him.” I’m sure it’s strange – I’m not in that position – to be a $million athelete and feel like you’re the best but no one treats you that way. But these guys really need to do image damage control. You ever see Brady or Manning or Brees say they don’t get enough credit just look at the stats? Even the most myopic self-centered atheletes in other sports don’t act like this — I’ve never heard A-Rod or LeBron talk so foolishly.
    A$ante’s in a class by himself alright.

29. Chapnasty. says: Aug 20, 2010 12:37 PM

Just another example of why kids should not be allowed to leave college early. Why is OK to talk like you are mentally handicapped?

30. PFTiswhatitis says: Aug 20, 2010 12:38 PM

If he wanted to be in the HOF so badly he should have stayed focused and made what would have been an historic interception in the 07 superbowl. Instead he lost focus when he was angry with the Pats. I hope he rots in Philly.

31. BDawk says: Aug 20, 2010 12:42 PM

I love Asante, he is a playmaker and a risk taker. Bobby Taylor also couldn’t tackle, but Eagles fans love him too. Give him a break as our defense wasn’t that good last year, and it was not Asante’s fault.

32. REALPHAN says: Aug 20, 2010 12:47 PM

You are a bunch of Haters -
    Whats better are the idots that are blaming his missing an INT as the reason the Pats lost the superbowl……Think about that for a second, your blaming this guy for ONE PLAY, when Tom and Randy who connected 52 times that year could only do it once in the game……that offense averaged 30 points a game, then puts up 14 in the superbowl, against a team THEY ALREADY BEAT, and its Asante’s fault because he missed an INT……NEVERMIND THAT ELI – YES ELI MANNING, SCRAMBLED OUT OF LIKE 5 TACKLES before that throw! I guess Corners are expected to cover wideouts for an infinite period of time, or they suck huh???
    MORONS! Go learn the game of football!

33. harloeisdead says: Aug 20, 2010 12:49 PM

This is the dude who danced after he injured a receiver in the preseason last year? Yeah, my heart just bleeds for him.

34. Mike says: Aug 20, 2010 12:50 PM

Maybe I went far to say GREAT tackle but the man put a lot of effort and strength into his hits. He was going all in for the majority of the season putting his body on the line. [i understand thats his job]
    People are just hilarious. Who cares what kind of grammar he has? If he was applying for a regular job I’m sure he’d fix some of it. But hes playing football. I say AINT and speak ebonics when I’m relaxing with my friends.. when I need to impress people I do. Who cares? Watch football and quit looking into things. We’re ruining the world. Everyone is so judgemental… WHO CARES?!?!?!?!

35. gosox2673 says: Aug 20, 2010 12:51 PM

# Johnnydrama says: August 20, 2010 12:27 PM
    jersey73 says:
    August 20, 2010 12:04 PM
    Wow, my grammar checker just hanged itself.
    ……. Hung itself. Hanged??? Get your “grammar checker” unhanged.
    ———————————————————–
    It’s hanged when used in the sense of “to put to death by hanging”.
    Johnny’s right – you’re an idiot.

36. hey-seuss says: Aug 20, 2010 12:52 PM

Johnnydrama says:
    August 20, 2010 12:27 PM
    jersey73 says:
    August 20, 2010 12:04 PM
    Wow, my grammar checker just hanged itself.
    ……. Hung itself. Hanged??? Get your “grammar checker” unhanged.
    HAHAHA OWNED!

37. gosox2673 says: Aug 20, 2010 12:53 PM

*I meant JERSEY’s right…and I guess I’m an idiot too.

38. birdmancometh says: Aug 20, 2010 12:53 PM

Oh and let’s not forget about his record 4 INT’s returned for TD’s in the playoffs.

39. Stephen Starring says: Aug 20, 2010 12:54 PM

He quit on the David Tyree catch, critical play in the Super Bowl. Watch it! Lord knows I have 100 times. Tyree is never in a position to make the circus catch had Samuel not quit on the play after he thought Manning may have been sacked. Game was over. Not that I haven’t gotten over this or anything….

40. PFTiswhatitis says: Aug 20, 2010 12:54 PM

“Delt46 says:
    August 20, 2010 12:25 PM
    Asante Samuel has 35 interceptions since entering the NFL in 2003. During that timespan, his 35 picks are the 3rd-most behind Ed Reed’s 41 and Darren Sharper’s 36. ”
    But the stats leave out the number of big plays he let up while going for the personal stats AND the number of missed tackles that also led to big plays against. The stats also have no way to indicate *lost historic superbowl due to lack of focus and team desire. The guy will never go to the HOF. No chance.

41. fatediesel says: Aug 20, 2010 12:57 PM

Maybe Belichick was upset that Samuel dropped a game-clinching interception in the Super Bowl, then watched the helmet catch happen rather than hit Tyree and easily break up the play.

42. Rhapsody says: Aug 20, 2010 12:59 PM

If Asante had made that INT, the SB win was practically assured for the Pats. Game ovah. The Tyree catch, however, had many variables associated with it. Had Asante covered him better, he still may have made that ‘miracle’ catch because Harrison had great coverage.

43. smellsdelicious says: Aug 20, 2010 12:59 PM

Johnnydrama says:
    August 20, 2010 12:27 PM
    jersey73 says:
    August 20, 2010 12:04 PM
    Wow, my grammar checker just hanged itself.
    ……. Hung itself. Hanged??? Get your “grammar checker” unhanged.
    ——————————————–
    actually genius, hanged is the correct terminology.

44. stiller43 says: Aug 20, 2010 12:59 PM

# JoeSixPack says: August 20, 2010 12:31 PM
    Players who are more concerned about wins than stats love Belichick.
    Players more concerned about stats than wins hate Belichick.
    __________________________________

45. Rhapsody says: Aug 20, 2010 1:09 PM

Samuel was a system CB in the Pats scheme. He could jump routes because he usually had a safety over the top covering for him. He was usually not left on an island. As for the Pats not being a stats team, they have rolled up the score whenever they can. It was a matter of time before Brady got hurt because the Pats regularly and needlessly tried to embarrass opponents’ defenses. Pounding the 0-6 Titans 59-0 in 2009? Brady Rule or not, he will need a body brace if Belichick doesn’t show more respect and class to other teams having a bad day.

46. Terry says: Aug 20, 2010 1:10 PM

Any reporter who holds a grudge against a player for lack of access or a reporter who gives a player the benefit of the doubt because he gives good “sound bites” is simply a BAD REPORTER and should be disciplined by his editor.

47. FireJerryJones says: Aug 20, 2010 1:10 PM

If this guy just catches a sure INT in the Super Bowl, Patriots have 4 wins this decade.
    He has $57 million reasons to be happy.
    Hall of Fame? Maybe in the bullfighting HOF. Give him a red cape and he dodges as much contact as any matador out there.

48. PFTiswhatitis says: Aug 20, 2010 1:11 PM

“Vince3in4yrs says:
    August 20, 2010 12:35 PM
    One thing not mentioned is that Asante was covering Tyree on “the catch”. Eli rolled out of the pocket and for some reason Asante just stopped leaving Tyree free. Rodney Harrison tried to cover for him, but just not in time. This blown coverage is a million times worse than his dropped pick.”
    You nailed it. Asante knows how to take credit for the good but not the bad and there was plenty of bad. Eagles fans are delusional. But hey Im glad they are enjoying having a ME first on the team they watch.
    @REALPHAN: you have a lot to learn about he game of football if you think Asante is HOF material.

49. Lufer says: Aug 20, 2010 1:12 PM

hey-seuss says: August 20, 2010 12:52 PM
    Johnnydrama says:
    August 20, 2010 12:27 PM
    jersey73 says:
    August 20, 2010 12:04 PM
    Wow, my grammar checker just hanged itself.
    ……. Hung itself. Hanged??? Get your “grammar checker” unhanged.
    HAHAHA OWNED!
    ****************************************
    Actually, no. “Hanged” is absolutely correct, you morons. Wow.

50. Suitcasehead Golic says: Aug 20, 2010 1:12 PM

Illiterate dumbass makes Vick look like a MENSA student..

51. BonerJams'03 says: Aug 20, 2010 1:13 PM

For all the people who say Bill Belichick “had it out” for Asante because of the dropped pick in the SB. And some of these people claiming to be Patriot fans…
    What was Asante’s last game as a Patriot? Was it that game? So what you people are saying is that in the one month span between Free Agency and the SB in 2008, Belichick was “icy” towards Samuel and that’s what Samuel is referring to? Seriously, are you guys retarded.
    And for those that want to chime in with “da dropped pick, dat’s why he wuz cut lolz” – how about they tagged him in 2007. You don’t tag guys because they suck. You tag them because they have high value.
    Belichick probably was icy to him, because Bill Belichick’s main thing, especially on defense, is “Do your job”. He pounds that one phrase into his players. Do your job. Asante often strays away from his assignments in order to go for INT’s. If Belichick was “icy” towards him, that is probably your answer.
    As far as the tackling, if Collinsworth had never said anything on SNF that one night, no one would even say anything. Another user mentioned Asante had the neck injury as well, which has to be taken into account. Asante hurt his neck pretty early in the season, and I believe it was that SNF where he missed time during the game because he hurt it again.
    During the season last year, Asante did go out of his way to avoid making tackles on running backs, especially ones like Barber or Jacobs. But the guy can hit. I think it’s moreover he goes for the big hit, much like he gambles for INT’s, sometimes is pays off sometimes it doesn’t. If you take a look at the Jags preseason game from last year – Asante was clobbering guys left and right that game.
    Joesixpack – sure Asante gives up TD’s from time to time, but I’d rather have a corner that gives up a few TD’s but leads the league in picks. With Asante you’ve gotta understand sometimes he’s gonna get it and sometimes he isn’t. As far as “overpaying” him, lol, considering the deals guys like Nnamdi, Champ and soon to be Revis have, we got Asante at a pretty good price. Not saying he’s as good as those guys, but after those three Asante’s name is very close.

52. buddha says: Aug 20, 2010 1:13 PM

1st of all, he’s not giving a presentationat an office job or anything like that so who gives a Fu_k about his grammar! Seriously, who cares. Dont hate him because he’s making millions without proper grammar. Its not like your guys’ correct punctuation is making you any money.lol. 2nd, his dropped INT had nothing to do with Belichick starting Brown over him, that was before that ever happened. 3rd, the cowboys had an even bigger playoff loss than Philly did last season(MURFMONEY). And what does last seasons losses have to do whith this season? So are you telling me that at the beginning of last season, you had no hope and you wrote your cowboys off just because of the 44-6 loss the previous season?? What a dumbshit! And why do some of you want to blame Asante for the Pats loss to the giants. What about the guy who missed the sack on Manning? What about the blown coverage on Burress? What about Harrison not being able to knock the ball away from Tyree? What about the Pats not being able to put up 17 pts(even though Brady laughed at the comment when one of the giants players said that theyre going to have to keep the Pats under 17 and Brady said “I’d like to see that!)?? Do you think maybe they lost as a team?? Asante had a lot to do with the Pats success. By the way, how has their secondary been since Asante left?

53. HomelandDefense says: Aug 20, 2010 1:14 PM

REALPHAN
    You are confusing two different plays. The Eli scrambling out of the pocket and hitting Tyree is not the same play where Samuel dropped a sure INT, they did happen on the same drive though.
    And Brady and Moss lead a go ahead TD drive with 3 minutes left in the Superbowl. All the defense needed to do was not give up a TD for 3 minutes.

54. Paracelsus says: Aug 20, 2010 1:15 PM

Yes, Realphan, “he won two super bowls”… all by himself I guess. The long snapper has two rings as well. Why don’t you learn how to present cogent arguments.
    The main point to all of this is the media. They perform free advertising and have for all professional sports since their inception. It is simple enough to put up with, and the media has helped make all NFL participants from owners to players very rich in the process.. Of course, you can and should get angry at those that take things way out of context (occurring less than is alleged) and are nasty, but it is simple to cooperate if you stick to simple communication. But therein lies the problem.

55. Gary Porpora says: Aug 20, 2010 1:18 PM

You Patriot ass lickers…
    Bellicheats legacy is he’s a cheater. The three Lombardi Trophies you did steal are forever tainted with the skidmark of cheating.
    Nothing you ever do or say will alter that legacy.

56. Sloan says: Aug 20, 2010 1:18 PM

sportsbruh3 says:
    August 20, 2010 12:25 PM
    the patriots are CHEATERS!!!!
    nobody is checkin on them no more but espn
    ——-
    Uh, didnt I see them on national TV last night.
    And if “nobody is checkin on them no more” (no more,what a moron) then why do you feel the need to comment on them?

57. buddha says: Aug 20, 2010 1:20 PM

PFTISWHATITIS, okay then, why did you fail to let us know just how many big plays Asante has allowed. You’re implying that he gives up a lot of big plays but you cant prove that. And I read a comment about Lebron never saying anything that dumb. When the young and promising Kevin Durant took the scoring lead last season, Lebron replied that he could lead the league in scoring if wanted to. LOL. Im not saying thats not true, but imagine Peyton saying the same thing if Aaron Rodgers passed him up in passing yards. And the whole primetime “decision” thing speaks for itself.

58. Cornerdenizen says: Aug 20, 2010 1:20 PM

Chapnasty says:
    ———————————————-
    I’m really hoping this statement applies not just to Asante Samuel and other athletes, but to the vast majority of posters on this particular site.
    Don’t believe me? Just scroll upward and take a look at the poetic musings of some real retards.

59. PFTiswhatitis says: Aug 20, 2010 1:21 PM

“REALPHAN says:
    August 20, 2010 12:47 PM
    You are a bunch of Haters -
    “Asante is a ME player first…only worried about stats” …….RIGHT, as opposed to Revis, who in the second year of his contract is gonna basically blow up his team cus he WANTS TO GET PAID……what did Asante do? He won 2 superbowls, then got franchised, played out his contract (quietly with no hold outs) then hit free agency. THEY WAY IT SHOULD BE DONE! ”
    You are freakin nuts. Reevis has not “blown up” his team by holding out and in case you forgot, Asante did the same thing in his final year. He did come back eventually for the season but who cares, the damage was already done and it showed. There is no comparison between the two players. Reevis actually plays team football, Asante plays Asante football. If you dont see all of the big plays he gives up due to going for the INT or missing tackles you are blind. And if you overlook the would-be missed historic game ending superbowl winning play, you are just making excuses. Watch with your eyes open pal, maybe you will learn something about the game.

60. BonerJams'03 says: Aug 20, 2010 1:22 PM

# JoeSixPack says: August 20, 2010 12:31 PM
    Players who are more concerned about wins than stats love Belichick.
    Players more concerned about stats than wins hate Belichick.
    _________________ _________________
    # stiller43 says: August 20, 2010 12:59 PM
    —————————————————-
    Boom Roasted.

61. PFTiswhatitis says: Aug 20, 2010 1:25 PM

“stiller43 says:
    August 20, 2010 12:59 PM
    They didn’t? They won all of those games. D’oh.

62. buddha says: Aug 20, 2010 1:26 PM

And to the people that are saying Asante failed to cover Tyree on “the catch”: 1st of all, it could have been a zone coverage. WHy would Asante be covering the 4th or 5th WR option in crunch time? 2nd, who CAN cover a WR for 10 seconds, which is about how long that play took? Maybe Harrison didnt shoot up his steroids that week because he obvioiusly wasnt strong enough to knock the ball away.

63. jaypeso says: Aug 20, 2010 1:26 PM

Sickening that guys that get free rides to go to top schools can’t give an interview and sound like they made it past 3rd grade. Then to make matters worse he’s complaining about a coach he no longer plays for. Poor guy. What a toolshed

64. BenRapistberger says: Aug 20, 2010 1:26 PM

I loved this guy, but damn he should never open his mouth.
    Get Paid. Yeah.

65. fresno500 says: Aug 20, 2010 1:28 PM

Having a beef with a white man. He better shut up, he may get T.O’ed.

66. JoeSixPack says: Aug 20, 2010 1:34 PM

stiller43 says: “They didn’t seem to concerned about wins over stats in ’07 when Brady was bombing it deep to Moss in the 4th quarter of games when they were up by 20-30+ points.”
    —————————————
    ????????????
    Yeah that makes sense.

67. granadafan says: Aug 20, 2010 1:36 PM

When is the urban community going to put pressure on itself to speak properly? Seriously, there’s slang, and then there’s the outright moronic inability to speak. If they have any desire to make it in this country, then learning to speak with even halfway decent grammar is step one.
    Even immigrants and the next generation speak and write better.
    As for the article, it raises an interesting about journalists who give a little more leeway to those who are more friendly. So much impartiality, but that could just be human nature.

68. TheDPR says: Aug 20, 2010 1:36 PM

The correct verb form is HANGED. The poster who used it first was CORRECT.

69. PFTiswhatitis says: Aug 20, 2010 1:38 PM

@BonerJams’03: Asante was missing tackles long before he ever became an Eagle and YES Belichamp was not hot on Asante because he did not honor his assignments and also because of his holdout.
    I can also tell you without any question that the superbowl missed INT was not taken well by the NE staff.
    Is he a skilled corner? Sure. HOF material? not a chance.

70. smellsdelicious says: Aug 20, 2010 1:43 PM

buddha says:
    August 20, 2010 1:13 PM
    wiser words never spoken

71. superius says: Aug 20, 2010 1:45 PM

He was good when he played in New England and I was disappointed when they couldn’t get a deal done.
    He’s a great CB…not all the divas have to play WR.

72. Jaxeagle says: Aug 20, 2010 1:51 PM

Man if you guys don’t think that writers don’t hold grudges your crazy and I’m going to say this again, Asante isn’t teaching English class he’s playing football until he starts grading your kids homework assignments who cares what he says or how he says it.

73. 90ragtop says: Aug 20, 2010 1:54 PM

Great. Another mouth-breathing knuckle-dragger.

74. sdffa11 says: Aug 20, 2010 1:55 PM

this guy is just stupid. he thinks hes at prime time’s level when he not even the best in the league. im thinking the reason belichick got rid of him is he didnt tackle in NE either. if you cant do the basics, what do you expect?

75. FinFan68 says: Aug 20, 2010 1:58 PM

This clown has talent but he also is just a “me first” moron. He consistently sacrifices team goals for the potential of personal glory. He is delusional if he thinks that he is a Hall of Fame worthy player. I can’t believe he has to cry to the media about not getting his ego stroked enough. That is as pathetic as his illiterate rants.

76. CKL says: Aug 20, 2010 1:58 PM

What is WITH ex-Pats who just can’t stop whining about mean old BB? Maybe the fact that they act like pre schoolers who didn’t get the toy they wanted for Christmas gives everyone a clue why BB let them all go either via FA or trade or cut?
    Vince 3 in 4 is absolutely right. All players drop a sure INT once in a while so that doesn’t enrage me…but there’s NO EXCUSE for his leaving Tyree and letting Rodney take the ignominy for that play. NONE. If you were a quality person, AS, you would have copped to that in the press. But it’s hard to man up when all you have room for in your head is tooting your own horn.

77. Rick says: Aug 20, 2010 2:00 PM

I believe Darrell Green was the last CB to go in to the HOF. Asante you couldn’t wash Green’s jock.

78. ejtowne says: Aug 20, 2010 2:08 PM

Good player, but not worth HOF.

79. Chapnasty. says: Aug 20, 2010 2:11 PM

It is clear that the comments on this site are more entertaining than the articles. I would like to thank all of my fellow commenters (no that isn’t a word) for helping entertain me throughout every single work day.

80. WildBirdOffense says: Aug 20, 2010 2:11 PM

Did someone just say Jenkins is a better corner than Asante in this thread? LMAO. WOW, the lengths some of you idiots go to.

81. Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says: Aug 20, 2010 2:13 PM

Classy stuff. Looks like he ended up in the perfect town.

82. jersey73 says: Aug 20, 2010 2:15 PM

Johnnydrama says:
    August 20, 2010 12:27 PM
    jersey73 says:
    August 20, 2010 12:04 PM
    Wow, my grammar checker just hanged itself.
    ……. Hung itself. Hanged??? Get your “grammar checker” unhanged.
    —————–
    THE CORRECT TERM IS HANGED! Nice try drama to make me look bad…when you end up looking dumb.

83. ampats says: Aug 20, 2010 2:25 PM

Boom Roasted ??
    Must be referring to the Steelers as one of those teams Stiller43 was referring to as another team the Patriots rolled over.
    Mesante got paid. The Patriots franchised him in 07 and offered him a long term deal worth 9Mill a year. The eagles offered him more money.
    “Because he had to take care of his family”

84. CliveRush says: Aug 20, 2010 2:31 PM

Asante worked his way into a starting position on a great defense. When he was interviewed prior to the SB is rookie year he was polite and stressing the fact that he just wanted to continue to get better and do what the coaches asked of him. His tackling did improve and from my memory was not a player who drifted out of his assignment. Ty Law was on the opposite side and would stress the fact that if you were in position the ball would come to you. It did plus he had great instincts as to its arrival. I always thought that the Pats made a mistake letting him go but that is the nature of the game today. The Eagles fans hated to see Brian Dawkins leave and rightly so. The game against the giants was lost because of the Giants D in shutting down Brady and the Pats refusal to run the ball. The focus on one play by Samuel is the easy way to assign blame for the loss. The reality is it was a team effort on the part of the Giants to win the game and no credit for the loss should be assigned to one player. I wish we had won but the better team won on that day.

85. thehouseofho says: Aug 20, 2010 2:33 PM

TheDPR says: August 20, 2010 1:36 PM
    The correct verb form is HANGED. The poster who used it first was CORRECT.
    —————————————————————————-
    Hanged and hung are both the correct past tense of hang, but they have very specific definitions. Hanged means death by hanging. Hung means suspended.
    If the OP’s grammar checker is a person, then hanged is correct. However, if the OP’s grammar checker is an application, then hung is the correct form.

86. Cornerdenizen says: Aug 20, 2010 2:35 PM

granadafan says:
    —————————————
    The urban community? Really? So the urban community has a monopoly on the inability to speak?
    So how do you account for Sarah Palin? What’s that she attempted to express the other day about a gaggle of radical feminists? What was it she said? Oh yeah, a “cackle” of rads.

87. stove boogie says: Aug 20, 2010 2:38 PM

JoeSixPack says:
    ????????????
    Yeah that makes sense.
    ******************************

88. LJB064 says: Aug 20, 2010 2:42 PM

As a Patriots fan, Asante Samuel still owes me a Superbowl.
    When he pays that debt, I’ll start lobbying for him to get into the Hall of fame.

89. EverybodyGotAIDS says: Aug 20, 2010 2:46 PM

The only way Asante Samuel gets into the hall is if he buys a ticket. Ty Law is a borderline HOF player and Asante Samuel, my friends, is no Ty Law.

90. Ralphie says: Aug 20, 2010 2:58 PM

@stiller43 says:
    ___________________________
    Yeah, I remember when they punked the Shittsburgh Stoolers by 20+ points in 07. The nerve of them running up the score on the Junior Varsity.
    But they always seem to do that to the Stools.

91. CraigMaitland21 says: Aug 20, 2010 3:00 PM

Samuel is still trying to tackle Miles Austin.

92. BonerJams'03 says: Aug 20, 2010 3:02 PM

# PFTiswhatitis says: August 20, 2010 1:38 PM
    Is he a skilled corner? Sure. HOF material? not a chance.
    _____________________________________
    But I’m sure you guys loved when he made 10 INT’s didn’t you. I realize that hey, Asante is gonna give up some TD’s from time to time because he gambles alot.
    Put yourself in his shoes regarding the holdout, he’s what, 26 years old, a corner has a smaller window than most players to get that big contract. Corner are usually done at around 30. I don’t care about the dollar amount, because it’s all relative to what the profession pays. If any one of the people saying “oh poor Asante, wasn’t happy with $8million” or whatever it was, played CB in the NFL they’d be making the same friggin demands.
    As far as the SB, who the F are you guys kidding, the Patriots didn’t lose the SB on one or two plays. The Patriots lost the SB because they couldn’t block the Giants DL, plain and simple. It’s the same reason the 13-3 Cowboys lost as well. Would it have more than likely sealed the deal had Asante made the pick? Probably. But to soley focus on one play as to why the Patriots lost that game is ludicrous. They couldn’t block the Giants, and thats why they lost. If you guys tell yourself anything different you are fooling yourselves.

93. GRpatriot says: Aug 20, 2010 3:05 PM

Funny, I just saw those 3 Lombardies and they looked fine, no taint on em!
    The players who contributed to the loss in the SuperBowl in 2007 are now with another team.
    Seymour, J. Green, A. Thomas and A, Samuel who all had a chance to win that game are gone! All of them had a shot to seal that game and choked! Coincidence? I think not!
    Assante is a ball hawk, that doesn’t support the run, yet he wanted Champ Bailey money???
    You can hate on Belichick for the rest of your natural life, but he’s the best. End of story!

94. Nitro says: Aug 20, 2010 3:31 PM

law will get in the hof easy! asante will get in if he goes to canton and buys a ticket.

95. Outsyder says: Aug 20, 2010 3:32 PM

I love people that blame Samuel for the Super Bowl loss. What about Rodney Harrison allowing Tyree to make that catch? What about the 30+ ppg Patriot offense that managed only 14 points against a 10-6 team?
    There is plenty of blame to go around.

96. BonerJams'03 says: Aug 20, 2010 3:50 PM

GRpatriot says: August 20, 2010 3:05 PM
    Funny, I just saw those 3 Lombardies and they looked fine, no taint on em!
    —————————————————-
    Ironic that this post would follow mine. This is exactly the type of moron I’m talking about.

97. LJB064 says: Aug 20, 2010 4:01 PM

Outsyder and Bonerjams: You’re both right, there is a lot of blame to go around, and in my view, most of it does go to the Pats’ OL. I still boo those guys in my living room.
    In the law, there’s a concept called “the last clear chance.” It refers to the last guy that could have stopped an accident from happening, but didn’t. No matter how many other people could be blamed for what came before, Samuel literally had the game ball in his hands and dropped it. He had the last clear chance, and failed, so he’s got to bear significant blame for that loss.
    Bill Buckner wasn’t alone, either.

98. PFTiswhatitis says: Aug 20, 2010 4:06 PM

“Pats fans are irritating sometimes because as soon as a player leaves the team, all of a sudden he’s terrible. Richard Seymour is a great example of this. Vrabel. McGinest. Heck Pats fans were even badmouthing Wilfork because it looked as if he wasn’t coming back.”
    Yeah I’m sure no other fans do anything similar. The fact is that Seymour stopped putting forth good effort ever since he got paid. Was he good? Sure – very good. But as a fan you want to see a player give it his all. McGinest and Vrabel were loved. The only knocks I’ve ever heard on them had to do with their badmouthing of the organization when they werent being paid. I still have my Vrabel shirt. Was he great? Nope. But he did show a heck of a lot of heart and effort.
    As for other fans, I remember Eagles fans talking crap about Asante for a long time- when he was a Patriot. The guy is good but he is no HOF’er.

99. Pastabelly says: Aug 20, 2010 4:15 PM

Bill Belichick put Samuel in a position to make $millions. Asante is upset that he didn’t get paid and had to leave.

100. buddha says: Aug 20, 2010 4:29 PM

LJBO64, if you’re saying the blame was on the person who had the last chance, then why not blame the player who Burress burned on the game winning TD? As a matter of fact, Brady and the Pats offense had the ball last, so lets blame everything on Brady. . . . . .or maybe Belichick because he had a chance to call a game winning play.

101. Outsyder says: Aug 20, 2010 4:32 PM

Bonerjams, it’s also amusing he says the guys that lost the 2007 Super Bowl are gone. They had a lot to do with the other Super Bowls so….
    Another thing is, no one talks about how Belichick’s defenses have fallen apart in big game after big game since their 3rd Super Bowl. Why is he not blamed for it when he’s the “defensive genius”?

102. GRpatriot says: Aug 20, 2010 4:48 PM

@ BonerJam which sounds like toe cheese to me.
    The score was Patriots 14 Giants 10 are you with me so far??? I’ll go slow, I don’t want to lose you..
    2:30 left. Samuel lets a perfectly thrown interception go through his hands….still there?
    Jarvis Green and Richard Seymour had Eli’s jersey, maybe they thought they’d get a whistle? Eli broke loose, the defense broke down. Samuel didn’t cover Tyree and Harrison was a little late on the coverage. The velcro catch. Still there?
    Seymour and Thomas had another shot a sacking Eli and couldn’t get him down again!!!!
    The Patriots 14 Giants 10……Hello
    Eli throws to a wide open Burress. TD
    Kick was good
    Patriots 14 Giants 17
    :30 secs left, long incompletion to Moss game over! Read it over and over! Maybe you’ll get it???
    Oh yes, you my friend are a complete moron!

103. .Vox Veritas. says: Aug 20, 2010 5:05 PM

“We’re also not sure Samuel is so underrated.”
    Neither is Miles Austin.

104. SliKRiK says: Aug 20, 2010 5:28 PM

Samuel is a great CB. I rather he be on my team then another one. He gets the ints every year and made 3 straight pro bowls. He isn’t that bad of a tackler. I mean neon deion straight up shyed away from contact. I’ve seen #22 lay a hit or two, he’s no pansy.

105. LJB064 says: Aug 20, 2010 5:44 PM

buddha:
    I’m not blaming “everything” on anybody. If the Patriots had scored 50 points by the time that Samuel missed that pick, it would not have mattered.
    Likewise, if the offense had been able to pull off some Herculean stunt in the last 30 seconds of the game, then we wouldn’t be having this conversation.
    My only point is that it is absolutely ridiculous to totally absolve a CB who dropped an interception with his team desperately trying to defend a 4-point lead with less than 3 minutes left in the Superbowl . He clearly bears some of the responsibility for his team losing that game.
    I know he wasn’t the last individual to touch the ball, and even after his failure, others could conceivably have done something to make up for it and win the game. But he had the best opportunity to win it when the game was on the line.

106. BonerJams'03 says: Aug 20, 2010 6:05 PM

PFTiswhatitis says: August 20, 2010 4:06 PM
    —————————————————-
    Alot of fans do, but it seems especially true with Pats fans. It goes back to the “BB is infallible” mantra that is a Pats fan. It couldn’t be because of the salary cap or anything like that, it’s because those players suck now.
    Asante – If they sign Asante then what to do with Wilfork, Brady, Seymour, Mankins and Moss when they need new deals and Asante’s is hitting it’s peak. Let’s face it, since Asante left, the Pats secondary has been brutal, Bodden is good but he’s pretty average.
    Seymour – total salary cap. If the Pats were $20mil or something under the cap, they are resigning Seymour. It was a matter of dollars due to Wilfork, Mankins and most importantly Brady.
    The main key to guys like Asante and Seymour is the unwritten Pats rule of “no one gets paid more than Brady”. And Brady took less money to help the team. And when Brady makes comments like “well we get paid millions for a dream job, is that not enough, why ask for more money”, it’s easy to overlook that Tom Brady makes millions more in endorsements every year not to mention his wife makes $150 million a YEAR. So when Tom Brady tows the company line and says “hey guys, lets just play this game we love”, take that with a friggin salt mine.
    Vrabel – was he tops at his position? No. Was a an integral part of the championship teams? Hell yes. I heard Pat fans calling him a “washed up bum” etc.
    McGinest – loved while on the team. Not so much when he left for Cleveland.
    As far as Eagles fans – when players like Lito Shepperd left – yea we said great because he really wasn’t that great. When players like Brian Dawkins, Brian Westbrook left yea, we lost some great guys. If you asked me who is the best QB in the NFC East, it’s still Donovan McNabb.

107. Nuckinfutz says: Aug 20, 2010 6:06 PM

Ty Law was a true shutdown corner, who could cover a receiver one on one, make plays on the ball, and would come up and support the run defense. He was also one of the best ever at jamming a receiver at the line of scrimmage.
    Asante Samuel is a cover corner with good ball skills. He’s good at jumping routes out of zone coverage. His one on one coverage is not great, and he plays soft at the line of scrimmage.
    Ty Law is a sure HOFer. Samuel may get to play in the Hall of Fame game some year, but he’ll have to be satisified to look at Ty Law’s statue. He’ll never get one of his own, unless he pays for it with the money he stole from the Eagles.

108. BonerJams'03 says: Aug 20, 2010 6:17 PM

GRpatriot says: August 20, 2010 4:48 PM
    Follow me if you can – 0:00 – 57:30 – the Patriots offensive line is manhandled by the Giants and their rotational pass rush. The Patriots, considered by many the best offense of all time, is limited to 14 points.
    Who is that guy who constantly preaches to his players that a football game is 60 minutes long?
    Oh yea, Bill Belichick.
    So let’s take away the fact that Richard Seymour and Samuel were integral parts of other Championship wins. Let’s let the offensive line (Light, Mankins, Koppen, Kaczur – yep, they are all still on the team, thats a checkmark that you wouldn’t badmouth them, until they leave that is.) off the hook despite their horrible play throughout the game.
    It’s all Green, Seymour and Samuel’s fault. And that’s why they were let go; two years later. It’s Seymour’s fault that the Giants OL were doubling him and he still got a piece of Eli.
    You are the prototype of the moron I’m talking about.

109. Free_Ryan_Leaf says: Aug 20, 2010 6:37 PM

Chapnasty. says:
    August 20, 2010 12:37 PM
    ******************************************
    Forget college, what happened to having to pass the fifth grade?

110. BigBear123 says: Aug 20, 2010 7:52 PM

“I ain’t never said it”
    “ain’t nobody out there doing what I’m doing”
    I’m tired of hearing athletes who had free rides to college and can’t speak properly.

111. tmot75 says: Aug 20, 2010 8:10 PM

Ok, let’s compare you to Ty Law. He’s remembered as a Patriot for his interception-TD against Kurt Warner in the Rams in the first half of the Super Bowl. A play that set the tone for the rest of the game.
    Asante is remembered as a Patriot for two plays. First, his dropped INT on the last drive against the Giants. Second, Asante was assigned to David Tyree on the catch….and Rodney only came over to help out after Asante left his man.
    The difference between the two players? If Ty Law was covering Tyree on that play….the Pats finish with a perfect season…..because Ty is a team player, unlike Asante who definitely is NOT a team player.
    All you need to know about Asante is this. In the ’06 offseason, after Marquis Hill’s tragic death, every single member of the Patriots went to the funeral except one. Asante…who didn’t go because he was in a contract dispute. That tells me all I need to know, and nothing in this article really leads me to believe he is any different that how I percieve him.
    “Wahhhhhh…nobody likes me….wahhhh”

112. JoeSixPack says: Aug 20, 2010 8:59 PM

stove boogie says:
    August 20, 2010 2:38 PM
    JoeSixPack says: You think they were more concerned about stats over wins in a season when they were 16-0?
    ????????????
    Yeah that makes sense.
    ***************** *************
    stove boogie says: You mean when they were 18-1? The team that was concerned about WINNING got to hold the lombardi trophy. Hope all those passing records were worth it.
    ***********************************
    Congratulations!
    You get the prize for the most insanely warped logic in the history of PFT.
    Yes – the team that won more games in a season – including the playoff – than any team ever in the history of the NFL very clearly was putting winning SECOND to records.
    You’ve diagnosed the season as well as the Super Bowl, perfectly because clearing the Patriots were just “running up the score” to pad their stats in that game too.
    Here’s some advice. Quit the High School Debate Team. It’s not for you.

113. Route36West says: Aug 20, 2010 11:16 PM

Ewwwwwllll they better watch out or Asante will tackle there asses….. o wait never mind he cant tackle…. but if someone throws something to Bellichek or a member of the media they better be ready because he will for damn sure come out of no where, catch it, and run home with it.

114. Route36West says: Aug 20, 2010 11:25 PM

Mike says:
    August 20, 2010 12:04 PM
    Come on Mike Im a HUGE Eagles fan and watch every game but I aint co signing you on this one… Samuel was a horrible tackler in 08 for the Eagles and even worse in 09. And not after the injury the whole year. He NEVER uses his arms he dives at people with his shoulder hoping to knock the down. He dives at peoples legs and generally is afraid to open his self up when he tackles. He hits the ball carrier more with the back of his shoulder pads then the front of them.
    I will say though through out training camp and his 1st preseason game I have seen vast improvements in his form and his willingness to square up with the ball carrier and use his arms when tackling.
    I think Asante is a top 5 corner in this league and hes 1 of my favorite Eagles but Im not gonna say hes a good tackler just because he plays for the Eagles.

115. buddha says: Aug 21, 2010 6:53 AM

BIGBEAR123, yeah athletes might get free rides to excellent colleges and universities, but the schools also make major $ with these same athletes and then make it a crime if they accept a gift as minor as some shoes or a jersey. I think the schools take more advantage of the players. Either way, they’re using eachother and its a win-win for all of them.

116. BIG JB says: Aug 21, 2010 8:52 AM

ARE YOU TWO FOR REAL WITH THE HANGED AND HUNG?

117. BCGreg says: Aug 21, 2010 8:06 PM

@ buddha
    LJB064 said “last CLEAR chance” not last chance. Samuel had the last CLEAR chance to seal the game. Brady throwing a 70 yard bomb/prayer (which, OMG, just missed!) was not the last CLEAR chance just the last chance. Hobbs, who we later found out played the SB with a torn shoulder (labrum or rotator cuff) and groin, was NOT the last clear chance either. Plax was double covered all day having only 1 catch for 9 yards before the GW TD. That one catch was in the 1st quarter. The Pats threw an all out blitz leaving Hobbs in single coverage. With those injuries, Hobbs was not the last clear chance. He had NO chance.

118. buddha says: Aug 21, 2010 10:50 PM

BCGREG, last CLEAR chance?? Asante would have had to jump up and catch a pass that was about 2-3 feet above his head, keep both feet in bounds(he was right on the sideline) and maintain posession of the ball. Dont come at me with that last CLEAR chance bullshit! Not many players in that league can consistently make that catch and keep both feet in bounds. Can you do it?? It wasnt a F’n gimme INT. It would have been an amazing catch.

119. TheSleepness says: Aug 21, 2010 11:03 PM

Samuel is dead on, as is Rosenthal..the media is like the union….obsolete, over-inflated sense of worth..F the media with their 5th grade questions.

120. buddha says: Aug 22, 2010 3:39 AM

BCGREG, you say Plax was double covered all day before the game winning TD! BEFORE THE GAME WINNING TD!! IDIOT! You said it right there!! You’re saying there was no chance for HObbs, but Asante was to blame?

121. Fresh95 says: Aug 23, 2010 2:36 PM

jersey73 says:
    August 20, 2010 12:04 PM
    Wow, my grammar checker just hanged itself.
    “Hung” itself! Dimwit!

122. Fresh95 says: Aug 23, 2010 2:40 PM

jersey73 says:
    August 20, 2010 12:04 PM
    Wow, my grammar checker just hanged itself.
    __________
    And oh by the way — its “hung.” Jersey said his grammar checker hanged “ITSELF.” “Itself indicates that his grammar checker is not human. Thus, you cannot use “hanged.”

123. panteraphenomenon says: Aug 23, 2010 3:01 PM

what a clown!

124. UrTeamBlowsgoats says: Aug 23, 2010 4:17 PM

fresh 95 is correct.
    And Samuel sounds stupid. Football players going to college for an education is kinda like me reading playboy for the articles.

125. LAEaglefan says: Aug 23, 2010 5:38 PM

The Eagles’ brass knew exactly what kind of player Samuel was when they paid him that boatload of money to sign with them. They obviously valued his knack for INTs more than they did his tackling ability (or lack thereof). Can you imagine how much they’d have to pay a Cornerback that was actually good at both of those things?

126. In & Out Burger says: Aug 23, 2010 10:47 PM

I’m not buying that Randy Moss gets treated poorly by the media. I have heard so much about him, and what a great job he does finishing his routes and blocking down field, ever sense he went to the Pats. Of course he is trying harder, he has HOFers around him. A great player would have tried just as hard on the woeful Raiders. Thats What Jerry Rice did.

127. thehoodedone says: Aug 24, 2010 10:07 AM

For all the Eagles fans saying ” you can’t blame the super bowl loss on Asante’s dropped INT” you’re right. You must place the blame solely on your other starting corner who got absolutely owned by a gimped Plexi-glass Burress. Good luck this year.

128. eaglelover1 says: Aug 24, 2010 11:09 AM

I have to ask a question of all these Harvard/Yale English majors that are being critical of a man’s intelligence because he does not speak book perfect english……. what does a person’s venacular have to do with his intelligence……NOTHING. Most of you don’t speak perfect english until you get in front of someone that is paying you or about to pay you.
    Athletes speaking to reporters aren’t interveiwing for a job. They are speaking matter of factly. And for the record none of you speak “The King’s English” American english is slang in ENGLAND.
    I wish most of you would just say what’s on your mind instead of hiding behind BS. Be a man, grow some nuts and just say what you REALLY mean. I promise not to come over and bash your RACIST head in with a dictionary and a typewriter.

129. Fresh95 says: Aug 27, 2010 4:05 PM

Dude.. relax! You will find that most people actually bashed the guy who tried to bash Asante’s english – but ended up looking stupid doing so!