Percy Harvin to see specialist this week; could return to practice

Vikings coach Brad Childress admits there is no easy solution to Percy Harvin’s migraine problems.

“This is a puzzle we have no idea when it will be solved,” Childress told Jay Glazer of FOX. “It’s a tough deal.”

Childress says Harvin will visit a specialist this week, although we have to think he’s visited plenty before without any magic cure.  Childress is optimistic Harvin will return to practice this week, which is a great sign.

With Sidney Rice uncertain for Week 1, Harvin’s role in the offense should only grow.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Percy Harvin to see specialist this week; could return to practice”
  1. Who is Mike Jones says: Aug 21, 2010 12:50 PM

8-8

2. windex666 says: Aug 21, 2010 1:00 PM

There is one solution, Cannabis! Cannabis is great for relieving the pressure buildup that seem to cause migraines in the first place. If the NFL wasn’t ruled with an iron fist by Adolph Goodell the guy might be able to get some relief from his migraines by getting a cannabis recomendation.

3. ncoolong says: Aug 21, 2010 1:01 PM

The Vikings are calling Anthony Carter and Hassan Jones as we speak.

4. rovibe says: Aug 21, 2010 1:08 PM

13-3

5. cusoman says: Aug 21, 2010 1:16 PM

16-0
    See, I can make baseless predictions with no merit whatsoever too!

6. Notoroius B.U.G. says: Aug 21, 2010 1:21 PM

8-8 = 0 = Mike Jones’s IQ

7. Chiefs2010 says: Aug 21, 2010 1:39 PM

@Windex
    I’m sure he already smokes pot..
    and you idiots making predictions need to stop having the media dictate your thought process..
    big deal, Favre’s back!!! The league is better with him in it. He clearly just hates camp.

8. FoF says: Aug 21, 2010 1:46 PM

Considering the PAckers and Bears have the same tough sked, 8-8 might win the division.

9. MACK DADDY says: Aug 21, 2010 1:49 PM

Withdrawl is a bitch Percy. Seek prefessional help. Favre did drug rehab, there’s no shame in it.

10. Bigbluefan says: Aug 21, 2010 2:07 PM

This is another one of those could have might have been players
    Next year he will be teaching gym in some high school

11. jimmySee says: Aug 21, 2010 2:57 PM

I would have thought he’d have been to a “specialist” — like last year and continuously thereafter.
    If not, then there is something really wrong with the Vikings’ medical staff.

12. nutnbutnet says: Aug 21, 2010 2:59 PM

There’s more to this story than is getting out. Obviously by now, Harvin has already seen whatever “specialists” there are to be seen. Second year of a his contract and they’re sending him to a specialist? He went to Mayo, there’s no one else to see, unless it’s for an experimental or unconventional treatment. Migraines are well researched, if not fully understood. It’s not an unusual ailment, the range of treatment is established.
    Assuming he’s tried all conventional treatment, which he undoubtedly has, Percy’s career is in jeopardy. He may be limited to playing when he can, and having a reduced role as a position player.
    Terrell Davis stated on NFLN that he was unaware of vomiting as a symptom of migraine, but it is, as well as numbness, cold feet, and other vertigo like sensations.
    Percy has a bad case, and it will almost certainly limit his football career, if not end it entirely.

13. jimmySee says: Aug 21, 2010 3:01 PM

If not, then there is something really wrong with the Vikings’ medical staff.

14. Bob Nelson says: Aug 21, 2010 3:05 PM

Too bad the vikings medical staff, the ones that cleared him before the draft, can’t handle the Harvin situation.
    But then they didn’t handle the Korey Stringer situation either.

15. Norseman says: Aug 21, 2010 3:19 PM

He’s been to numerous specialists, that was reported on several times last year. Vomiting during a migraine is not at all unusual. My older sister suffers from them. When one strikes, she has to lie down with a hot-water bottle on the side of her head. The pain becomes progressively worse until she pukes, then it subsides and she’s fine after about a half hour. She has a medication she takes when one starts, but it just lessens the pain and duration. It doesn’t prevent them.

16. Master Bates says: Aug 21, 2010 3:25 PM

God, some of you rubes are idiots! He has dealt with this his whole life. Of course he has already seen specialists. And he is going to keep seeing them until he gets a handle on this. Holy God some of you amaze me with how stupid you are!

17. moenthelawn says: Aug 21, 2010 4:09 PM

Thank you, Master Bates, for noting the rube-idiots on this board. He has been to the specialists, the Vikings do not employ specialists, and the one thing they did wrong was not learn about the extent of his migraines.

18. scrapdawg12 says: Aug 21, 2010 4:52 PM

Good luck Percy, I didn’t draft you in my fantasy league b/c I don’t see you playing much this year if your headaches are this bad.

19. moezilla says: Aug 21, 2010 5:44 PM

Hey Bob Nelson, do everyone on this message board a huge favor and step out in front of traffic…
    freeway traffic…

# Bigbluefan says: August 21, 2010 2:07 PM
    This is another one of those could have might have been players
    Next year he will be teaching gym in some high school
    _____________________________
    Like Mark Chmura…

22. jrmbadger says: Aug 21, 2010 8:18 PM

So for Mike McCarthy hoping a player will be ready for practice after he is cleared by a neurologist is irresponsible but for childress to hope that a guy with arguably a more serious problem returns in the next weak is a “great sign?”

23. jimmySee says: Aug 21, 2010 9:03 PM

Norseman:
    “As I got older, I started getting ocular migraines. No pain, but my vision is affected until they pass. I start seeing a multi-colored squiggly shape in mu field of vision. It expands outward until it finally disappears. An ophthalmologist told me that, in my case, they are caused by age, eye-strain, too much caffeine, fatigue, and the eye losing flexibility. Good reading glasses have almost eliminated them.”
    I have a similar condition, with attacks triggered by bright lights or glare.
    I find if I take three regular aspirin tablets first thing when I notice my vision being affected, it GREATLY reduces the severity of the attack.
    I always carry around a bottle of aspirin with me.