Report: Haynesworth likely has rhabdomyolysis

After Saturday night’s preseason game against the Ravens, Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth accused coach Mike Shanahan of minimizing the health condition that kept Haynesworth out of practice for multiple days last week.

Per Jason La Canfora of NFL Network, Haynesworth likely has rhabdomyolysis, a condition arising from damage to muscle fibers and the release of muscle fiber contents into the bloodstream.

Symptoms reportedly include dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and swelling, and the condition is caused by, among other things, severe exertion or heat exposure.  Two of the practices Haynesworth missed resulted from heat-related symptoms.  On Thursday, Shanahan said that Haynesworth had a “headache.”

(Though I’d never heard the term “rhabdomyolysis” before, I once developed it by running five miles on a hot day while not being in very good shape.  I ended up at the urologist due to brown urine — please enjoy your Pepsi — and the urologist said it was due to muscle damage from overexertion in hot conditions.  And, please, feel free to comment on how you don’t care about my own personal experiences in this regard.)

As to Haynesworth, the episode further poisons the relationship between player and team.  We suspect that, if/when a starting-caliber defensive tackle in a 4-3 defense tears an ACL, Haynesworth would be shipped to that team within hours.  With Haynesworth already vowing not to show up for next year’s offseason program, it’s safe to say that 2010 will be his last year in D.C., barring a miracle.

Permalink 82 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
82 Responses to “Report: Haynesworth likely has rhabdomyolysis”
  1. robert ethen says: Aug 22, 2010 1:54 PM

And if you don’t believe him, Albert will be happy to show you the rhapd on his olysis.

2. Danglybanging8----D says: Aug 22, 2010 1:55 PM

Key to this both you and Haynesworthless ” not in very good shape”

3. Dr. Michael says: Aug 22, 2010 1:57 PM

He had uromysistis like Seinfeld

4. Red says: Aug 22, 2010 1:58 PM

Tell me more about your urine, Mike.

5. moolah954 says: Aug 22, 2010 1:58 PM

yea i have dfbnsfjbslysis too

6. Skins Fan in Illinois says: Aug 22, 2010 2:01 PM

Wow, I think this, for once, vindicates Haynesworth, at least somewhat. I wonder if the additional stresses of the conditioning test that he was subjected to contributed to this condition. Yes, it looks like he won’t be back next year, but if you are Albert, you want to have a great year so as to raise your value to other teams. If that happens, at least the Redskins will get some benefit for the millions they’ve paid him.

7. evilmajortom says: Aug 22, 2010 2:02 PM

Maybe if he had an extra DT alongside him, he wouldn’t be overworked . . .

8. east96street. says: Aug 22, 2010 2:03 PM

Hell, I’m just impressed that your rug stays on your head for a five mile run! I would have thought that the sweat would make it slip off or a hawk would confuse it for a wounded rabbit and swoop in for the kill. Or do you run with your head “au naturel”?

9. koyote_ken says: Aug 22, 2010 2:04 PM

I don’t care about your own personal experience in this regard.

10. FinFan68 says: Aug 22, 2010 2:06 PM

He actually suffers from Cranial Rectum Inversion Exclamation Syndrome…He has his head up his ass and he cries about everything

11. The Great Potato Conspiracy says: Aug 22, 2010 2:06 PM

The Shanahan man just wants Señor Alberto to pay for the sins committed against him. In a past life the Rat must’ve been one to whip the Egyptian slaves if they weren’t building the pyramids fast enough. “It’s only sunny 120 degree heat. Your gods want it to be so.”

12. Big J says: Aug 22, 2010 2:08 PM

Are they sure it’s not douchebagitis?

13. FlikeMorio says: Aug 22, 2010 2:08 PM

I don’t care about your own personal experiences in this regard.

14. LiveNBreatheFootball says: Aug 22, 2010 2:14 PM

So Haynesworth was supposed to be in shape, even though he skipped OTAs. He failed the conditioning test, his knee swells and now he misses practice due to a condition partially related to be out of shape. As a Cowboys fan, I hope all the Redskins are in as good of football shape as Haynesworth.

15. Raw Deal says: Aug 22, 2010 2:17 PM

Florio, your Dr.’s visit sounds like an ‘excuse’. Sources say that you were holding out for more money and this was your way of shoving it to your old boss til they came up with more cash. Oh yeah, you forgot to mention Farve!

16. YourJustJealous says: Aug 22, 2010 2:19 PM

translation;;;
    Haynesworth has I got fat in the wallet, now I’m fat in the ass, and I’m too damn lazy to work

17. dabbflappy says: Aug 22, 2010 2:21 PM

How can a professional athlete miss as many practices as Haynesworth has, and suffer from over-exertion?
    This is the smoking gun that proves how out of shape Fat Albert is.
    It’s ridiculous. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever.

18. TrojanMAAAAAN says: Aug 22, 2010 2:22 PM

Hey Florio….I don’t care about your own personal experiences in this regard.

19. BigBear123 says: Aug 22, 2010 2:22 PM

When I clicked the link I was 90% positive it was a fancy term for lazy fat-a$$ disease.

20. Thesituation says: Aug 22, 2010 2:22 PM

Haynesworth for president!

21. lowleadman says: Aug 22, 2010 2:24 PM

Let this be the final chapter of this overplayed and aurally painful story.
    In one corner, Captain Queeg, played by Mike Shanahan. In the other, Fat Albert, played by Fat Albert.
    Albert seems to be uusually stupid. In this groping economy, a mutli millionaire that doesn’t want to go to work, doesn’t want to try a different position, can’t pass the basic team tryout, and now has developed a strange sounding ailment….
    well, he is the 800 lb gorilla hanging on the Redskins’s necks.
    Queeg, in the other corner, is maniacal in his approach and in total control of the situation and intends to make Albert suffer as much as possible for his ridiculous indiscretions, and will either snap this fellow in line (doubtful) or will eventually cause an unrepairable rift (most likely) where he can be justified in trading, sitting, suspending, fining, flogging, whatever. The good Captain will ultimately be victorious, because he is the coach and he has brass balls. Fat Albert will get fatter and will be playing for the Rams or Detroit by the trading deadline. End of story.
    You can stop writing about it now.

22. Ralphie says: Aug 22, 2010 2:25 PM

Albert actually is afflicted with IGot100MillionSoPhuckYou-Myolysis

23. Richm2257 says: Aug 22, 2010 2:27 PM

So in essence, “Lard-a$$” showed up out of shape and is struggling a bit, physically???
    (nice job there, with your personal trainer; you know, the one who’s going to have you in the same condition NEXT year)
    Who cares anymore?

24. Mrsteve says: Aug 22, 2010 2:27 PM

Wow Mike.
    Scary.
    It has been so hot in Ashburn this summer. That explains a lot. Shanahan calling this just a headache. The weasel.

25. Mooch says: Aug 22, 2010 2:28 PM

So, Redskins Quick Fix #327 is now officially a bust.
    Just like always.
    We’ll see how #328 (McNabb) works out.

26. Draft King says: Aug 22, 2010 2:31 PM

What, no Seinfeld “uromysitisis” YouTube clip?

27. Mike_My_Ditka says: Aug 22, 2010 2:31 PM

Florio, I don’t care about your own personal experiences in this regard.

28. prmpft says: Aug 22, 2010 2:31 PM

…is that affected by his sorryassitis???

29. robert ethen says: Aug 22, 2010 2:32 PM

Florio’s brown urine showed up in the drug/alchohol tests the cops made him take after they finally caught him.

30. kcchiefs says: Aug 22, 2010 2:32 PM

Florio…you probably break a sweat doing the crossword puzzle
    weiner

31. BuccanAy says: Aug 22, 2010 2:34 PM

Bottom line is, it’s caused by NOT being in football shape, which happens when you don’t workout all off-season while you collecting millions from the team. Scumbag. As a Bucs fan, thank God the Redskins paid this guy instead of us.

32. Chiefs2010 says: Aug 22, 2010 2:37 PM

Florio, don’t listen to the haterz..
    You run a solid site..I destroy 5 miles with clean urine…

33. Rhapsody says: Aug 22, 2010 2:37 PM

Is this the Undertrained Athlete Syndrome rearing it’s fat ugly head?

34. Wonderlicker says: Aug 22, 2010 2:41 PM

More like dontwannaworkosis. Come to camp in shape next time, jelly-belly.

35. football24-7 says: Aug 22, 2010 2:41 PM

wow thats what it is?? huh?? i just thought he was a (over-paid)lazy fat a–!!! —-P.S. — mike— any excuse to talk about your pee… you should be ashamed of yourself!

36. King Ding-A-Ling says: Aug 22, 2010 2:46 PM

Is douchebaggery a symptom of rhabdomyolysis?

37. mad555 says: Aug 22, 2010 2:47 PM

This is the Redskins organization in a microcosm under danny”fail” Snyder.
    FAIL!!!
    That, in all honesty, should be your stupid lil’ saying instead of hail, it should definitely be “FAIL” RACIST SKINS. bwaaaaaa

38. Zach says: Aug 22, 2010 2:48 PM

Albert Hayneswroth and severe exertion don’t belong in the same sentence; unless you’re talking about the energy he used to stomp his cleat on someone’s face.

39. rovibe says: Aug 22, 2010 2:49 PM

All this means is the dirtbag was not in fooptball shape when he showed up for camp. Whose fault is that? This pig is a headcase who needs help.

40. MizzouRam says: Aug 22, 2010 2:54 PM

Where are all these people with comments about how big of a wuss Haynesworth is. Crickets…

41. Kye says: Aug 22, 2010 2:54 PM

“(Though I’d never heard the term “rhabdomyolysis” before, I once developed it by running five miles on a hot day while not being in very good shape. I ended up at the urologist due to brown urine — please enjoy your Pepsi — and the urologist said it was due to muscle damage from overexertion in hot conditions. And, please, feel free to comment on how you don’t care about my own personal experiences in this regard.)”
    On the contrary, Mr. Florio, I’d appreciate a bulletin every time your body does something.

42. litemater95 says: Aug 22, 2010 2:56 PM

They pulled that diagnosis from Brian Cushing’s Medical Dictionary, too.

43. dogma1 says: Aug 22, 2010 2:59 PM

Just 2 years ago this guy was a monster, he was elite, best DT to play since Sapp in his prime….Now he looks like a complete waste of space. Unreal what happens to these players when they go to Washington.

44. savagenation says: Aug 22, 2010 2:59 PM

Does that disease cause you to step on peoples faces?

45. oyoy84 says: Aug 22, 2010 3:05 PM

I don’t care about your own personal experiences in this regard Mike.

46. ItalianStallion says: Aug 22, 2010 3:08 PM

Maybe it’s just a side effect of the Lipitor he’s taking for his high cholesterol.

47. Brady-mancrush says: Aug 22, 2010 3:11 PM

Suddenly, my root beer float doesnt look so good!!

48. stillnaive says: Aug 22, 2010 3:14 PM

rhabdo is a very, very serious condition that can actually kill you. it’s also caused by being out of shape. next time, go to mini-camp, fatty.

49. Chrisl4064 says: Aug 22, 2010 3:20 PM

I feel great, I am in spectacular physical shape. That being said I could go to a doctor right now and he could find 30 different things wrong with me and load me up on pills I don’t need.
    What a terrible mistake bringing this guy in. My Redskins need to stop free agency all together for a few years.

50. rb2k says: Aug 22, 2010 3:20 PM

Florio, you’re a tool (it just seemed like the right thing to do).

51. zilla1126 says: Aug 22, 2010 3:22 PM

Ummm, you can easily DIE from rhabdomyolysis.

52. sportsjustice says: Aug 22, 2010 3:25 PM

it’s acute kidney failure. when a muscle gets crushed it can release extra packed protein fiber that when introduced to the bloodstream will cause kidney failure. this isnt likely whats happening to hansyworth. rhabdomyolysis is something that the victims of hati are dealing with, not this pampered athlete.

53. njhitman says: Aug 22, 2010 3:27 PM

Haynesworth likely has rhabdomyolysis!!!! In other words its called a Big Mac attack . Give him 20 Macs and a large fri and a diet coke

54. therewasone says: Aug 22, 2010 3:30 PM

And he’s a TURD!!!

55. PackFaninPackLand says: Aug 22, 2010 3:31 PM

Didn’t you mean to say that Haynesworth likely has rehab-domyolysis ?????

56. Zach says: Aug 22, 2010 3:31 PM

“I wonder if the additional stresses of the conditioning test that he was subjected to contributed to this condition. ”
    Yeah, getting his ass in shape got him sick.

57. meatball13 says: Aug 22, 2010 3:33 PM

Man,the Redskins are gonna suck this year.

58. azredbird4 says: Aug 22, 2010 3:42 PM

flo..your doc said you overexerted your muscles during a run…..it begs the question…don’t you have to have muscles in the first place?

59. luxm says: Aug 22, 2010 4:06 PM

Holy crap Florio!! I know nobody cares and I’m sure this is totally pointless but, I had the EXACT same thing happened to me. Played a triple-header in softball while drinking 3 TUBS of beer (not the smartest thing in the world … i know) … .as my first physical activity since the year before. Woke up the next day with DARK brown urine and ended up in the hospital for 2 days hooked up to an IV. This rhabdomyolosis ain’t no joke!

60. Blackn'Gold says: Aug 22, 2010 4:12 PM

Well Mr. Florio, perhaps you shouldn’t push your body so hard while attempting to get into shape. You body was probably telling you there was a problem long before the end of your run.
    “Always with a Jedi there must be patience.”
    Yoda
    Albert Haynesworth should be traded to a team with a 4/3 scheme. It’s the best for all parties concerned.
    GO STEELERS!

61. bigmikethompson says: Aug 22, 2010 4:48 PM

Haynesworth would look good in orange and blue. We hate shanny too. Sometimes he forgets you need a pass rush.

62. TheSleepness says: Aug 22, 2010 4:49 PM

trade him for revis.

63. Hooby says: Aug 22, 2010 4:55 PM

do its side effects also include incessant, raging laziness

64. Suitcasehead Golic says: Aug 22, 2010 5:05 PM

Holy crap–I didn’t know there was a medical term for being a fat lazy ass..

65. Canetic says: Aug 22, 2010 5:11 PM

I thought he had randomlyshowupness.

66. LiPo says: Aug 22, 2010 5:17 PM

He doesn’t have rhabdomyolysis.
    If he did he would be in the hospital with IV fluids and serial checks of his kidney function.
    Teams are ultracareful with their assets- i.e. strasburg doesn’t really need that MRI of his forearm. i.e. Percy Harvin didn’t really need to be admitted to the hospital after syncope/migraine.
    Haynesworth is just a baby even with his knee if they thought there was anything wrong with it they would have gotten an MRI the first day. Instead he milked it for about 1 week and they were forced to get an MRI later down the line. And guess what the MRI was normal.

67. NFLMMAfan says: Aug 22, 2010 5:21 PM

Florio – Is the real reason Albert refused to come to the offseason team training BECAUSE HE WAS HIDING A MEDICAL CONDITION THAT HE AND HIS “TRAINER” KNEW ABOUT?
    Come on Florio! Use your ambulance-chasing skills and investigate this!!!!!

68. Sociofan says: Aug 22, 2010 5:43 PM

rhabdomyolysis: a severe pain in the ass

69. Crazimitch says: Aug 22, 2010 5:52 PM

And you both suffer from trichotillomania, now let’s all hug! I can’t wait til we have actual games to talk about!

70. Huskersrock says: Aug 22, 2010 5:54 PM

Looks like Shani was right, he isn’t in “football shape”

71. JimmyY says: Aug 22, 2010 5:57 PM

Something MF and AH have in common, dweezils. As a runner its common to have blood in your urine once in awhile. Look it up on the freaking Internet and don’t worry about and get a doctor who knows what the F they’re talking about. I’ve had it plenty of times, you notice a weird, tired feeling probably due to blood loss in the urine. Rest a little, eat right, you’re able to go the next day. Rhabdomyolysis my ass, didn’t have those symptoms before that big contract signing did he? I thought not.

72. Matt Cribbin says: Aug 22, 2010 6:00 PM

We had a name for this back in my collegiate wrestling days. It’s called “pussitus.”

73. Big J says: Aug 22, 2010 6:27 PM

I think all Redskins fans are getting tradehisfatassitis.

74. BuckeyeBengal says: Aug 22, 2010 6:38 PM

I don’t care about your own personal experiences in this regard.

75. buzz29 says: Aug 22, 2010 7:19 PM

Unfortunately, the only muscle condition Albert has is the one in his head.

76. BigBear123 says: Aug 22, 2010 7:37 PM

Your buddy Adam at ESPN wonders why he would continue playing if he does indeed have this. Or why they would actually let him play.

77. Buck Stallion says: Aug 22, 2010 7:47 PM

Rhapsody is correct. Just as ALS has a term for us laymen, so should this condition.
    Undertrained Athlete Syndrome

78. 12thman says: Aug 22, 2010 7:47 PM

Listen, Mike Shanahan is way behind the times. It’s no longer OK to tell someone “their a pussy, rub some dirt on it,”. Fire him before somebody dies!

79. JackBurden says: Aug 22, 2010 8:19 PM

Curb stomp Romo and all is forgiven Big Al.
    Shanahan sux (but somehow much better than Zorn).

80. CH³NO² says: Aug 22, 2010 9:21 PM

I live in NOVA and it has been a hot summer……but I run and work out OUTSIDE 3 days a week……..every week. Sure, sometimes after I run I have a headache but it goes away.
    Oh……I’m 47 years old.
    Fat Albert…….lighten your wallet and you might be able to get in shape. Right now you’re just a cow. Go graze somewhere else.

81. snccoach says: Aug 23, 2010 1:21 AM

Please believe me when I say i’m the last person who would defend Albert Haynesworth. However, if he does have “rhabdo”, he could probably thank his head coach & strength coach for it. Great idea guys running a 300+ lb. lineman into the ground with the 300yd. shuttle conditioning test for days on end. You take a big run stuffing d-line type, have him run a test that has NO CORRELATION to his position demands nor football in general. Which as a result, he had to sit with knee issues and now possibly rhabdo.

82. Mooch says: Aug 23, 2010 12:12 PM

CHNO – what is your phone number? I will pass it on to the Skins.
    I am sure you can anchor an NFL defensive line with no issues.
    Because you run and work outside 3 entire days a week.
    I own a telescope, so I expect to be piloting the next shuttle to the moon for NASA.