Ochocinco fined $25,000 for violating league's Twitter policy

On Friday night, Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco took a hard hit during a preseason game against the Eagles.  Not long thereafter, Ochocinco posted a message about it on his Twitter account.

Even though it happened in a preseason game, the NFL has responded to Ochocinco’s blatant violation of two different policies by fining the player a whopping $25,000, according to Jason La Canfora of NFL Network.

Per La Canfora, Ochocinco possessed an electronic device in violation of league rules.  He also posted a message on a social media site during a game.

It’s not the first time Ochocinco received a sizable fine.  In December 2009, the league smacked him with a $30,000 fine after donning a sombrero and a poncho as part of a touchdown celebration.

I play to have fun,” Ochocinco said after the last big fine.  “I don’t play for the dollar
amount.  Maybe that’s why they take so much money, because they think we
play for the money. . . .  Maybe they’ll get the point, I’m here to have
fun.  Not for the money.”

Apparently, they haven’t gotten the point.  Or maybe they don’t care.

We’ll take the latter.

Permalink 73 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
73 Responses to “Ochocinco fined $25,000 for violating league's Twitter policy”
  1. dlmcc0909 says: Aug 24, 2010 1:34 PM

Rules are rules, and although they may not seem like a big deal, you still have consequences to breaking them.

2. Defx says: Aug 24, 2010 1:36 PM

Unfortunately for Chad, the league is here for the money. So they will happily keep on taking it.

3. JustinG says: Aug 24, 2010 1:37 PM

25k? Really?
    Outrageous. And honestly, I hate the Bengals, but Chad Johnson is an amusing dude to watch. Football would be more boring without him. This draconian policy of vigorously fining people for Tweeting and celebrating in the end zone is ridiculous.

4. WhoDeySood5 says: Aug 24, 2010 1:40 PM

Don’t bring up the fact that Ocho also writes checks to charities that match the dollar amount of each fine he gets each week….that would go way too far towards painting him in a positive light

5. Nosredna says: Aug 24, 2010 1:40 PM

*IF* Esteban decides to fight this, he can easily use video of the game as proof — While messages were appearing on twitter, he was shown standing on the sidelines with TO, *NOTHING* in his hands to use to tweet with meaning someone else was posting on his account(s)
    Most likely, he will bitch and pay the fine, and as usual, donate the same amount to another charity.

6. jj jones says: Aug 24, 2010 1:40 PM

I like Ocho’s tweet after Jay Mariotti was arrested:
    “Lets see if they crucify their own like they do us.”

7. Willbacker1 says: Aug 24, 2010 1:40 PM

If he keeps this kind of talk up, the players association might figure out a way to start fining him, too.

8. bringbacktheflex says: Aug 24, 2010 1:41 PM

I guess he could just give back all his money and take the league minimum then. Oh, then he wouldn’t be able to pay his fines.
    Suspend him. Then he can have fun in his living room twitting about what he would have done in the game if he knew how to follow the rules.

9. DonTerrelli says: Aug 24, 2010 1:41 PM

Right, wait until they fine him $500000 like they did Belichick

10. pipolo87 says: Aug 24, 2010 1:41 PM

LOL thats what he gets you want to prove your worth dont express yourself on the Internet prove yourself on the Field No talk just action… Cuz u just got Jacked by Stew Bradley Yes im an Eagles Homer by the way

11. BostonISaChraphole says: Aug 24, 2010 1:41 PM

Florio is like that little kid on the playground in grammer school that tattled to the yard duty.
    He loves this stuff, it makes him feel good.

12. anthony says: Aug 24, 2010 1:41 PM

I’m real good friends with Chad, and trust me the money is not being missed…
    What the NFL should do w/ the money is help the unprivledge children & families in the world w/ the 25,000 instead of putting back in the pocket of rich wht ppl…
    Write about that~

13. Fat_Old_Sun says: Aug 24, 2010 1:43 PM

Another charitable donation by Chad.

14. BigLarryThree says: Aug 24, 2010 1:44 PM

It’ll be interesting to see what ol’ Ocho Stinko has to say about this on his Twitter….

15. FinFan68 says: Aug 24, 2010 1:45 PM

We’ll see if Chad remembers that he doesn’t play for the money the next time his contract comes due. I think Chad has an interesting personality but he seems to think that the rules do not apply to him. To him, “having fun” seems to mean breaking the rules in order to generate mor publicity…the act is getting old. Grow up. It would not have been difficult to wait until after the game.

16. CanadianVikingFan says: Aug 24, 2010 1:46 PM

The Nazi Football League is a joke. Herr Goodell will fine $25,000 for a tweet and $30,000 for a sombrero and poncho, but will only fine $20,000 on illegal and malicious hits.

17. Meldog says: Aug 24, 2010 1:47 PM

eh…..it’s probably worth it……creating buzz is a good thing for a guy who is trying to get into reality TV. Frankly, I think he and TO together will do great and memorable things for trash TV this year….I don’t however think they will produce many memorable football moments. Both are good receivers, but they are obviously focused on things other than football right now.

18. Hailskinzz says: Aug 24, 2010 1:50 PM

During a game ocho? Show some class if you have any

19. LT2_3 says: Aug 24, 2010 1:55 PM

Who says you can’t buy twitter followers? ;)

20. The Real Shuxion says: Aug 24, 2010 1:55 PM

Does this discount the ankle bracelets the states have required most of the players to wear?

21. bspurloc says: Aug 24, 2010 2:01 PM

weird he plays for the fun TO for the tears and $.
    the combo will be like a big magnet

22. Whodey08 says: Aug 24, 2010 2:06 PM

Did you read the article in Sports Illustrated a while back about football players that are broke 5 years after retiring?
    Neither did Chad.

23. blacktoothgrin says: Aug 24, 2010 2:06 PM

If he doesn’t play for the money, why doesn’t he play for the league minimum?
    While Chad doesn’t play for the money, a lot of other guys do. Just ask Fat Albert what he plays for, or Vincent Jackson or Darrell Revis or any first round draft pick.

24. ejtowne says: Aug 24, 2010 2:10 PM

The NFL should thank Ochocinco for his wild antics…because of his craziness, his jersey is one of the top sellers. I guarentee that he has made more money for the NFL by being so “In the public”, rather than just another player. Hell, who doesn’t like a little laugh during a stressful game? Those are the things that make the NFL the NFL and not MLB

25. BrownsBacker1982 says: Aug 24, 2010 2:13 PM

Imagine all the charitable donations he could have made instead…. shame.

26. jwill007 says: Aug 24, 2010 2:18 PM

I like the Jay Mariotti tweet too……NFL FO are a bunch of haters……

27. JaggedMark says: Aug 24, 2010 2:20 PM

Why doesn’t the NFL fine Rex Ryan for uglying up my television every time he’s on it?

28. huegtoad says: Aug 24, 2010 2:22 PM

isn’t the league fining/pennalizing players and teams for excessive endzone celebrations because the league doesn’t want players grandstanding and trying to be above the game actually an act of grandstanding and being above the game? i think the rule should be this for celebrations
    a) you have a 45 second time limit
    b) you can’t disrespect the opponent
    c) any conceled foreign object is banned, like sharpies or cell phones because it provides a slight safety risk and if the fans and coaches and workers whatnot can’t bring concealed anything into a game, nither should the players
    other than that, the NFL should have bigger fish to fry, and in saying that about letter c, that would include a cell phone on the sideline for twittering. The only personal item that should be allowed outside the locker room should be an insulin pump or other medical needs that the certified doctor or trainer would keep with them. i do believe in that

29. TampaBayBucs7-9 says: Aug 24, 2010 2:24 PM

it is actually refreshing to have a player like 85. I actually enjoy his style and like what he does and like what he is about. Crazy, I can not stand 2 (T.O.) and he he pulls the same crap. I don;t understand why but I just enjoy watching 85.
    can not stand 2

30. afiresnake says: Aug 24, 2010 2:29 PM

I hope they also fine the team.

31. kendog says: Aug 24, 2010 2:30 PM

For those of you that don’t know, the fines received by the NFL go to charities, and Chad then gives the charity another donation in the amount of the fine. He may not care about all of the NFL bs, but he does give to others. Overall, he’s a pretty good guy.

32. blitz43burgh92 says: Aug 24, 2010 2:31 PM

Roger Goodell is a joke.i second that,but BR got six,for haveing sex wit a ho.ther four ,this is ocho 3 time he should get 4-6 games.its only fair.go steelers,,hahah

33. Huckle says: Aug 24, 2010 2:41 PM

@pipolo87
    It takes nerve admitting to being an Eagles Homo.
    It must hurt to have a team that’s been around twice as long as the Bengals, yet has been to the Super Bowl the same amount of times, with the same amount of wins there.
    Philadelphia – City of brotherly losers.

34. robert ethen says: Aug 24, 2010 2:41 PM

Hey Och, how do you say Twenty Five Thousand in Spanish?

35. Wonka 2 says: Aug 24, 2010 2:43 PM

We always knew he was a twat.

36. PFTiswhatitis says: Aug 24, 2010 2:44 PM

I like his antics but the twitter thing was stupid and def. not worth 25 large. I hate that the league fines players so much especially for real game play violations, many of which are argueable. In this case though, Chad [Johnson] deserves whatever he gets. Like it or not, money does matter.

37. FreakNasty says: Aug 24, 2010 2:45 PM

BrownsBacker1982 says:
    August 24, 2010 2:13 PM
    Imagine all the charitable donations he could have made instead…. shame.
    Yeah… what a shame… since he does MATCH his fines and donates that amount to charity. Ochocinco haters know nothing about him and are USUALLY just jealous. If he was on YOUR team it wouldn’t be a problem. He donated over 60k last year alone. All these people call him an idiot for getting fined… do you really think he doesn’t know he’s going to get fined when he does what he does? SMH.

38. PackersHome says: Aug 24, 2010 2:52 PM

Someone should tell the NFLPA the players don’t play for the money.

39. spudz says: Aug 24, 2010 2:55 PM

If the fines dont hurt they should suspend him next time……
    What a twit…no pun intended

40. fresno500 says: Aug 24, 2010 2:55 PM

No Fun League.

41. skinsfan4lyfe says: Aug 24, 2010 3:00 PM

if he plays for fun, can i have his game check? if not, i’ll be happy with a cut of the fine:-)

42. Strick says: Aug 24, 2010 3:01 PM

More like Nachostinko is the one who doesn’t get the point and/or care.
    The rules don’t exist because some oppressive authority figures don’t want you to have any fun; the rules exist for the good of the game. Jackass.

43. ClownBurger says: Aug 24, 2010 3:02 PM

If he keeps doing it, they’ll suspend him and Little Chad won’t be able to have fun either.

44. pipolo87 says: Aug 24, 2010 3:06 PM

Huckle Who is your Team the Dallas Gayboys and your Passionate love for Antonio Homo.. I love the Eagles Wins or Losses Superbowls or None, Now if your a Bengals Fan you cant talk either because you dont have no Superbowls.

45. Bdrunk says: Aug 24, 2010 3:07 PM

I like Chad’s zaniness. If he’s matching the fine/donation 1:1 without a worry then he’s probably got enough socked away to take care of himself and his family. You never hear of him in a bad light unless it’s this stuff. He’s not drinking, drugging, or beating his baby mama.

46. pipolo87 says: Aug 24, 2010 3:08 PM

Vienti-Cinco Mil Pesos

47. pipolo87 says: Aug 24, 2010 3:10 PM

And Ocho-Cinco isnt the proper prounounciation for 85 it is Ochenta Y Cinco

48. Steeler Fan in Germantown says: Aug 24, 2010 3:12 PM

Where the hell is Marvin Lewis???? Can’t he sit this man down and explain to him that he’s working and should have his head in the game at all times? It sounds like Lewis is nothing but a figurehead.
    Chad donating to charity, with or without fines, is admirable. But, damnit, he’s supposed to be working and being a teammate.
    I agree that he needs to grow up. If he wants to tweet, twot or whatever, do it before or after the game and stop making a travisty of everything because you think you’re so much cooler than the rest of the world.

49. CaptainObvious says: Aug 24, 2010 3:13 PM

Once his career is over and the spotlight is no longer on him and he fades into obscurity, he’ll probably commit suicide – most likely by gerbil overdose.

50. JimmyY says: Aug 24, 2010 3:21 PM

During a game? I mean, come on, idiots, its a freaking game. You want respect you have to give it and not act like a douche, but I guess a bunch of his followers her are just that, dumbasses. What would prevent him from sending a message out they’re going to get him the ball next series, could be BS, but come on, get a life people. Its wrong, it needs to be addressed, there are rules in place, CASE CLOSED. So stfu.

51. Act Like You've Been There Before says: Aug 24, 2010 3:21 PM

Why does race always come up, I would bet the rule doesn’t say ” any African American football player “……… The rule applies to everyone that plays.Grow up the only one holding you back, is you! And for crying out loud, use the damn spell check.

52. spartyfi says: Aug 24, 2010 3:21 PM

Stupid me…here I thought the NFL was supposed to be entertainment. Sometimes I think the entire league takes themselves too seriously. I want to see people dance in the endzone and hear the dumb stuff that comes out of their mouth. The league would be wise to allow a little entertainment back into the GAME. Ultimately isn’t that why we watch? To be entertained. Of course, as a Lions fan I’m never entertained, more amused by the comedy of errors.

53. stefanovich says: Aug 24, 2010 3:23 PM

He was probably tweeting the Eagles’ defensive signals to Marvin Lewis’ headset. What a cheater! He deserves every cent, and more, of the $30,000 fine.
    As a white person, I take everything very seriously, including touchdown end zone celebrations. The NFL is not for dark-skinned individuals to be “having fun.”

54. saintchris says: Aug 24, 2010 3:27 PM

@Anthony
    I’m real good friends with Chad, and trust me the money is not being missed…
    Write about that~
    ————————
    Apparently you (and several others commenting on this story) don’t realize that 100% of the fines the NFL collects are donated to charity.
    On your way out don’t forget to pick up the race card you dropped. It’s not applicable here.

55. steveinohio says: Aug 24, 2010 3:31 PM

OK, preseason is a game, it’s not a game, it is a game. Who gives a s..t!
    You can’t have chADHD on the sideline for that long and expect him to not get bored. I understand the league had to fine him, but so did Chad. If he doesn’t care why do you.

56. JLawless87 says: Aug 24, 2010 3:41 PM

I am a Browns/Falcons fan … with that being said Chad Ochocinco is my hero

57. texasPHINSfan says: Aug 24, 2010 3:50 PM

Ochocinco is good for the league, and I find him very entertaining.
    That said, the league made those rules about tweeting during a game; have to uphold them. Shame Chad went and violated them, fine is harsh, but on the same token I enjoy Chad’s antics these days.
    Dude really is a breath of fresh air in this league.

58. Act Like You've Been There Before says: Aug 24, 2010 3:59 PM

We all forgot, you can’t hit Ocho Stinko to hard even if you are trying to secure a spot on a team ! Bet if the Bengals played the Vikings in preseason, Chad would tell his defensive players not to hit Brett Favre to hard because its preseason ! You got LIT UP quit crying.

59. philcommander says: Aug 24, 2010 4:04 PM

I appreciate his love of the game…but I really don’t like the NFL becoming a circus. I like it to be played old school style.
    But I do take my hat off to him for his charitable work and love of the game…I’m a fan…but I don’t like all the antics.

60. loumann says: Aug 24, 2010 4:05 PM

I dont care how much money this fool makes……..25 LARGE is 25 Large……just ask Mike Tyson…..Daryl Strawberry and a ton more of brokers…….hold on to the cash…and stop the flash !

61. Suitcasehead Golic says: Aug 24, 2010 4:11 PM

Stupid penalty for the douchebag—Sit him a game for every tweet thereafter…

62. Ilovefoolsball says: Aug 24, 2010 4:19 PM

He’s funny but I hate that tv show he has.
    “reality” matchmaking tv is the downfall of our society.
    That and Viking fans.

63. TryTheVeal says: Aug 24, 2010 4:21 PM

First off let me say, i could care less if he tweets while in a huddle, but that being said…I don’t know what’s funnier. Grown men who tweet, or grown men who actually read these tweets. Like a bunch of 14 year old girls who live for gossip. And to those calling the NFL, the no fun league, or consider his tweets “entertainment”, I have to ask….Is this you’re idea of fun?…..Really?

64. Buck Stallion says: Aug 24, 2010 4:27 PM

hey WhoDeySood, also when the NFL fines someone, few realize that that $ goes to United Way.
    Personally, I can’t stand Chad Johnson. Mostly because the media says that we all love him, also, I don’t think the guy is funny. I think much of what he does however, is smart marketing. Keeping your mouth shut as an athlete, means you get less $ in the long run.

65. DJSlyBri says: Aug 24, 2010 4:34 PM

Let’s see: Goodell is married to a Fox News anchor, and Fox News is the most blatant right wing propaganda machine on the planet and it carries the water for Republicans everywhere. Ochocinco is black. We all know how Republicans view African-Americans. I think it doesn’t take a genius to figure out why Ochocinco is treated like he is by the Commissioner.

66. Jack Acid says: Aug 24, 2010 4:46 PM

Good.
    Time to stop catering to ADD athletes (and people in general) who can’t get through 3-5 hours without posting on Twitter, the most overrated web app in history.

67. sergep says: Aug 24, 2010 4:57 PM

No a bengals fan, but love chad. The hit he took was uncalled for pre-season.

68. Act Like You've Been There Before says: Aug 24, 2010 4:59 PM

@djslybri
    I think everyone knows ” you ” are not that genius. Pull your head out of your a#* and realize he was supposed to have his head in the game. The Bengals are paying him to play football, not to sulk on the sidelines and write ” dear diary ” I got hit really hard today……Boo Hoo……..

69. TryTheVeal says: Aug 24, 2010 5:19 PM

@DJSlyBri
    ===========================
    Yes, Goddell simply has dismissed his multi million dollar salary, to enhance Fox’s agenda, cause his wife said so…Christ dude, i know the race card is you’re ticket to express every thing wrong with you’re life. but get a grip. Ever held a job?….i doubt it, cause if you had, most employers kinda frown on cell phone usage during work hours, unless an emergency, I cannot believe, you actually posted what you posted. I guess Roethlisburger is black?,,I hate the Steelers, and their patheric fans, but in the end, he wasn’t convicted of anything. But Goddell, cause his wife was a FORMER employee of Fox news, has it out for Ocho, who by the way is a jackass, but not as much a jackass as you…

70. Ilovefoolsball says: Aug 24, 2010 5:36 PM

# DJSlyBri says: August 24, 2010 4:34 PM
    _________________________
    Did you make that up yourself or did you copy and paste it from moveon.org’s site?
    Just wondering.

71. kapana says: Aug 24, 2010 6:08 PM

Fine him $100,000, he is overrated player with a big mouth.

72. CincyAllDaWay says: Aug 24, 2010 7:59 PM

blitz43burgh92 says:
    August 24, 2010 2:31 PM
    ==================================
    You’re actually gonna compare a tweet during a game to raping a drunken whore (when anybody else coulda hit it for free) in a bathroom while your body guards held the door??? You’re without a doubt the “dumbest ass in captivity”!

73. OLDCRACKER says: Aug 24, 2010 9:05 PM

I’m waiting to see how T.O. one-ups Chad. If Lewis doesn’t drop the hammer now, it will get out of hand very quickly.