Cowboys training camp is finally over

Three cities, 36 days, 40 practices, and 4,438 Dez Bryant stories later, Cowboys training camp has finally ended. The players reported to San Antonio on July 23, and wrapped up Friday in Oxnard, California.  So what did we learn?

1. Patrick Crayton won’t be easy to dismiss.  With Bryant hurt after a blistering start and Kevin Ogletree disappointing, the Cowboys realize they need Crayton to stabilize their receiver group.

2. Don’t call Felix Jones a starter just yet. We’re going to see a running back committee in Dallas just like last year, with Marion Barber in better position to have a big year.

3. Cowboys fans like to freak out about a few relatively sluggish preseason efforts on offense.  Tony Romo will not be the problem on this team, people.

4. It’s probably not a big deal if Marcus Spears plays fewer snaps this year.

5. Losing safety Gerald Sensabaugh is a bigger concern. The Cowboys are thin at safety.

6. The offensive line is a concern.  Doug Free solidified his starting left tackle spot over Alex Barron, but age and injuries have already started to catch up to the rest of the Cowboys line.

7. Losing tight end John Phillips for the season was a big blow, but the strong close to camp by Martellus Bennett provides hope that MartyB can finally live up to his promise.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
32 Responses to “Cowboys training camp is finally over”
  1. Kay Bee says: Aug 27, 2010 2:53 PM

8. The Cowboys won’t come close to reaching the Super Bowl…not because they lack talent, but because that bufoon Wade Phillips is the head coach.

2. Lew Charles says: Aug 27, 2010 3:01 PM

9. The Cowboys won’t come close to reaching the Super Bowl…not because they lack talent, but because that egomaniac Jerry Jones is the owner.

3. ShootahCowboy says: Aug 27, 2010 3:03 PM

Kay Bee says:
    August 27, 2010 2:53 PM
    ________________________________
    Let’s see, the buffoon won one of the toughest divisions in football two of the last three years.
    I think that buffoon may be hanging out in your mirror. Go tell them I said hi…

4. My Coke Can says: Aug 27, 2010 3:14 PM

You mean the cowturds have a few problems with the team? Say it isnt so. Oh the horror.

5. Duck Fallas says: Aug 27, 2010 3:44 PM

9. The Cowboys will win the September Super Bowl, then fizzle out by the half way point.

6. Marky McFly says: Aug 27, 2010 3:50 PM

Ah, the legion of Cowboy haters have arrived. Let’s see, Wade Phillips a buffoon? As ShootahCowboys said he won THE toughest division in football 2 out of 3 years, and was basically one win away from 3 out of 3. Oh, and Jerry Jones is one of the most influential owners in turning the NFL into what it is today. Tell me right now what Jerry Jones has done that so bad. I can name two things, Joey Galloway trade ( which could’ve have been a good one if it wasnt for injuries) and Roy Williams (who hasnt turned up yet, but theres still a chance) I mean, what else do you have? T.O.? The man lead the conference in TD’s and would’ve lead the league if not for Randy Moss’s record breaking season. Name me one player, or coach who has gone on record as saying that Jerry Jones is a horrible owner and should keep his nose out of things? Bill Parcells said “If i’m going to be the cook atleast let me pick out the groceries” thats about as bad as it gets.

7. Kay Bee says: Aug 27, 2010 3:52 PM

ShootahCowboy says:
    August 27, 2010 3:03 PM
    Kay Bee says:
    August 27, 2010 2:53 PM
    ____________________ ____________
    I think that buffoon may be hanging out in your mirror. Go tell them I said hi…
    ————————————————–
    What has he EVER accomplished? You’re just another delusional Cowgirls fan. Every year the Cowgirls win the September Super Bowl, only to choke it away. Geez…Romo and Phillips win ONE playoff game, and all of a sudden they’re a Super Bowl favorite.

8. Ocho says: Aug 27, 2010 3:53 PM

@shootahcowboy….and winning the NFC East 2 of the past 3 yrs has resulted in exactly how much postseason success for DallASS?

9. WhySoSerious says: Aug 27, 2010 3:57 PM

Looking forward to a hopefully great season for the Boys. Also looking forward to the hatred from PFT commenters, and the “I told you they’d suck” when Dallas loses its first game.

10. Derrick says: Aug 27, 2010 4:05 PM

Dallas will be in the Superbowl this year, it’s bought and paid for, Jerry made sure of that!!

11. Kay Bee says: Aug 27, 2010 4:15 PM

Okay…just put Wade in the Hall of Fame right now! He’s a coaching genius!

12. ShootahCowboy says: Aug 27, 2010 4:34 PM

Oh Ocho, you pithy little thing…
    Here’s the thing, I was once given a great piece of advice: Never argue with a moron. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. With that being said, I will not debate you. I don’t know if I could even get that low with you…

13. EverybodyGotAIDS says: Aug 27, 2010 4:45 PM

The NFC East hasnt been the toughest division in football in years. Keep telling yourselves that, but the toughest division in football has produced 1 superbowl winner in the past 14 years.
    One.

14. BigD says: Aug 27, 2010 4:51 PM

I noticed a lot of the focks leaving hate messages aren’t identifying the team they root for. Let me guess their team does not even come close to what the Cowboys have accomplished. How ’bout ‘em Cowboys!!

15. boysroll says: Aug 27, 2010 5:13 PM

I love all the htrs…dominate the nfc east the last 3 yrs and nobody can admit we are a strong team. They are all 4skins though so their opinion means nothing because they are all disgruntled with their pathetic ownership and record over the last 20 yrs.
    Later CEllar Dwellers!!!!

16. IndianScalper says: Aug 27, 2010 5:25 PM

Lets see who’s talking when the season starts! All you Cowboys haters out there need to wake up and smell the coffee you fools! This year the Cowboys will be the first team to host a Super Bowl, and ROMO will be throwing for MILES!!!! SO AHHHHHHHHH!
    How bout them Cowboys!!!!

17. AmishCowboy says: Aug 27, 2010 5:33 PM

Unless they’re Steeler fans none of the others can really say anything, All I know is the Cowboys roster is loaded with talent, is that enough to win the SB, No, but it’s a nice start. The NFC is gonna be tough as GB is loaded too.

18. Big Tex says: Aug 27, 2010 6:23 PM

For those slamming Wade Phillips (including you, Kay Bee), list me all the coaches who have won more games than Wade during his tenure with Dallas. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

19. redbeardxxv says: Aug 27, 2010 6:59 PM

Amish cowboy:
    Like my Cowboys fans, I wouldn’t expect you to know much about the NFL, so I’ll teach you. Before someone waved a magic wand and started calling it a “SUPERBOWL” it was called the “CHAMPIONSHIP GAME”. If you go back and add it all up, it turns out that the GB Packers have won more than anyone, followed by the Bears, Browns, and Giants. Here’s a link to prove my point:

20. Kay Bee says: Aug 27, 2010 7:08 PM

Wade Phillips is the 4th best coach in his own division.

21. Big Tex says: Aug 27, 2010 7:27 PM

Come on Kay Bee. You CAN do a little research can’t you? I’ll give you a hint; don’t include Andy “Mr. Clock Management” Reid.

22. Big Tex says: Aug 27, 2010 7:33 PM

BTW Kay Bee, you can also omit Mike “Could somebody get Elway on the phone” Shanahan.

23. Kay Bee says: Aug 27, 2010 7:34 PM

Big Tex says:
    August 27, 2010 6:23 PM
    ————————————————-
    You’re going to wait around on a Friday night? That’s pretty sad.

24. Florio-is-a-tool says: Aug 27, 2010 7:34 PM

And do tell, what’s the Cowboys playoff record since the Clinton presidency?

25. AmishCowboy says: Aug 27, 2010 7:44 PM

Red Bread, most people don’t live in the distant past as you do, The Modern era of Football starts with the Super Bowls. were you even born before the first SB. The Cowboys have won as many championships the past 40 years as all those teams you just mention including GB and the NYG.

26. Big Tex says: Aug 27, 2010 8:13 PM

Just giving you time to do your research Kay Bee. I’m sure that you base your opinions on some level of facts and don’t just pull it out of your ass, right? You can also exclude Tom “Why yes, I do look as if I’m having an anuerysm” Coughlin. Or is it Tom “Hey, how come the OG is banging my daughter” Coughlin?

27. redbeardxxv says: Aug 27, 2010 8:22 PM

Amish, is your argument so weak you feel the need to start name calling? Are you 12? Ok then, nobody said we should live in the past, you were the one that tried to pull the “team x has x superbowls” card. Point of the discussion seems to be that right now in the NFC East, only one QB has a ring, and he doesn’t play for the ‘Boys. The Cowboys have won 1 playoff game in 13 years and suddenly we’re all supposed to shake in our boots at the though of them taking the field? The Cowboys will implode this year, along with the Jets. Look for the Giants to take the division, then the ‘Boys, Eagles and Skins. Sorry, but Romo is not the answer, and Wade is useless.

28. Big Tex says: Aug 27, 2010 9:35 PM

redbeard, you’re not going to start singing the praises of Eli “I might be adopted” Manning are you? How many winning seasons for Eli? 3 out of 6. Stellar QBing from Eli.
    You want to give me odds on Jacobs playing 16 games? How about 12?

29. AmishCowboy says: Aug 27, 2010 11:01 PM

No name calling, I just don’t care that the Pottsville Maroons and Dectuar Staleys won an NFL Championship, but it’s nice to see your true colors have shown, your a Giants fan!, Well, Enjoy you’re 8-8 season, with the NFL’s most overated QB.

30. mickp says: Aug 27, 2010 11:09 PM

The media is freaking out about Romo, Cowboy fans know what Romo is about and what he can do. They are just finding their rhythm. GO COWBOYS!!

31. Big Tex says: Aug 28, 2010 10:17 AM

Since Kay Bee is more interested in spouting opinions as opposed to referencing facts, I’ll give our friend Kay some help. One coach has more wins than Wade in the time Phillips has been coaching the Cowboys. ONE! So for those who crab about Jerry and Wade and Tony and Roy and anything else associated with the Cowboys, if they’re so bad, how come your record’s worse?

32. rickvaldez says: Aug 29, 2010 12:06 PM

@Big Tex
    Sure if all you care about is regular season wins… Congrats your the winners!!! Most fans care about what happens in the playoffs and superbowl. But you still say Wade is the better coach. Shanahan 2 rings, Coughlin 1 ring, Reid has made it to the Superbowl. Mabye your coach would have made it to the Superbowl if he didnt bench Flutie for Johnson…… Great Coach!!!!!!