Vincent Jackson speaks; was too expensive for Vikings

Chargers wideout Vincent Jackson says he wants to remain in San Diego, but that he’s fully prepared to sit out the 2010 season.

Those were the somewhat predictable highlights of an interview he conducted with Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network on Friday.  They were the first on-the-record comments from Jackson in quite some time.  He admits he doesn’t know what’s going to happen.

“We’ve been trying to figure that out,” Jackson said via the San Diego Union-Tribune. “Again, I trust my
agents, they’ve been doing a great job for me, but we really don’t have
an idea right now. We’re not being granted permission to speak to other
teams and we’re not even sure if they want to trade me. I would love to
stay in San Diego.

“That’s where I’ve been and I have a good relationship with the guys
that are there. I miss being around my teammates, but again I understand
the beast of the business. We’re just controlling everything we can
right now.”

One thing they can control is Jackson’s pricetag. Kevin Acee of the San Diego-Union Tribune reports that the Vikings, in addition to the Seahawks, balked at Jackson’s request for a five-year, $50 million contract, with $30 million guaranteed.

It’s been a busy week in Jackson news and we don’t expect it to slow down anytime soon.

By stepping in front of a camera, Jackson is reminding 31 other teams that he’s still out there, waiting for a contract offer that may not arrive his season.

62 responses to “Vincent Jackson speaks; was too expensive for Vikings

1. Wow. I used to find it difficult to face a job interviewer and toot my own horn enough to say, e.g., I developed a procedure to (do something) that resulted in savings of (thousands) for my last company. I absolutely cannot imagine what that degree of self-confidence would feel like – to look someone in the eye and say, I’m worth fifty million dollars.

2. He is better than Berrian and they are paying him 7 million a year.
    Then again the viklings are the lowest revenue team and cannot afford to spend much more money.
    They have a franchise move and a new stadium at the new location to negotiate.
    It would have been the death of Jackson’s career anyway. There are no viking QB’s under contract for next season unless one counts WR Webb.

3. Bob,
    And despite all that, you went 0-2 against your better neighbors last season, and will do so again this year…despite spending more on cheese unclogging coronary procedures than the Vikings spend on payroll.
    That must suck for you.

4. OK, maybe I’m in the minority here, but does anyone think that Vincent Jackson is worth $50 million over 5 years with $30 million guaranteed (other than himself and his agent, of course)? I guess that we’ll find out as the season approaches.

5. Good luck with that one Vincent.
    Nice article Gregggg. You almost made it, until the last sentence.
    “…waiting for a contract offer that may not arrive his season.”
    You meant “this” season, right?
    Reading your shit is an acquired skill, like Ebonics….

6. It doesn’t matter what QB t will throw VIncent Jackson the ball for the next 5 years. He’s all for the money, not for the place or team…
    See Drew Breez… Three teams offered him a contract, he took the BIGGEST one… just like 90% of the NFL!
    MAKE YOUR MONEY NOW, but sitting out a year will cost you even more money!
    …just like any offense, take what they give you!

7. Bob, gets your facts straight, the Lions are the lowest revenue team in the league, but since they don’t represent a real threat to your precious Packers, you don’t pick on them.
    How do you know they wouldn’t have taken Jackson at less than $10mil a year? You don’t. You just have a bone to pick with the team you obviously obsess about.

8. I got an idea. BrINT has always maintained it wasn’t about the money. Why don’t the CryQueens ask him to divert some of that money toward signing Jackson. You know, show some commitment to the franchise, share the wealth, take one for the good of the team.
    Ya, like that’s going to happen. The Vikings have a better shot at winning the Superbowl which is to say that neither is ever going to happen.

9. And didn’t he promise he wouldn’t get a 3rd DUI?
    Lol, I swear I won’t get caught for the THIRD time!

10. This guy is a beast, and a drunk. If any WR deserves a contract right now it’s him. Are you listening Danny Boy Snyder?

11. He better give rivers half of his game check whatever he ends up with because rivers makes him look good. Not the other way around. Look at what Brady and Peyton do for all these no names they are stuck with.

12. Vincent Jackson’s timing is not good. This country is in a major recession, Jackson is serving a three game suspension as a result of substance abuse, he is going against one of the most stubborn GM’s in the NFL. Now his agents have Vincent posture for the cameras. Great move guys! (sarcasm)

13. When can we go back to a contract is a contract. If you sign your name on the dotted line then you abide by the deal. Everytime these overpaid babies don’t get want they want they hold their breath til they turn blue. I say let them pass out and smack their asses and put them back on the field. When can the league use breach of contract as something that can be used against these crybabies. I’m a Bengals fan but like Chad and his crap can go at anytime. I’m a fan of the team, never the players anymore.

14. Bob Nelson: Berrian’s not getting $7 million this year. I’m guessing you pulled that number out of the air by taking his $42 million contract and dividing it by 6 years. Doesn’t work that way. Much of it was front-loaded in signing and roster bonuses for ’08 and ’09, and only $16 million of the total deal is guaranteed, anyway. His total this year is closer to $5 million.

15. He’ll blow more money not playing this season. It’s clear nobody wants to give him that money right now. It’s time to negotiate a shorter, but still expensive deal that either allows San Diego to trade him or release him by the end of 2012. Maybe $16 mil total for the next two seasons, all guaranteed.

16. I’m no packer fan but they do not need Vincent Jackson. Aaron Rodgers is the best QB I’ve seen since Peyton. A rod can make 4 Vincent Jacksons with who he has. At the end of the season Rodgers will be in the top 3 QBs. Bank on it.

17. Vincent Jackson will miss at least 3 games this year on suspension. People need to keep in mind he’s already a 2 time offender in the NFL substance program. One more DUI and this guy can not only expect a full year suspension, but some jail time as well. And people wonder why no one wants to give him a big contract now? He’s just lobbying for a raise this year because he’s afraid he won’t make ANY money next year, should there be a lockout.

18. A lot of people feel he is over ratted, I am not among them. I think he is a very good receiver and one of the best in the league. He can make a lot of difficult catches, and knows how to run his routes effectively. If I was drafting all the WRs in the league, age included, there are probably less than 5 guys I would take over him. All that said, $50 Million? What for 80 years? No team that needs him is going to want to pay him that much.

19. This dumbass is in the process of destroying his own career and making himself look stupid. His sense of self-worth and subsequent contract demands are not in line with reality. I’m SICK of hearing these players bleating about what some other player got on some other team. Well, if that is what YOU wanted, then you should have been THERE under THOSE circumstances. You AREN’T, however, so that is not what you are going to get. You DUMBASS.

20. This spring the vikings testified under oath they were the lowest revenue team in the NFL.
    Would they commit perjury?

21. The Vikings are fine as they are. Way too much money. Favre can make all of our guys look great,we don’t need that self centered doucher….
    btw…looks like the Packer O line will be getting stomped by Allen and the boys again this season,run GayRod run!!!

22. Should have shown up to play and became a free agent. Good season this year would have made a nice bidding war.
    Sitting out…not so much.

23. He’s not even that good. He had a stud QB in SD and he fit the role he was cast in. Javon Walker is a better sign. SKOL VIKES!!!

24. Philly–
    He did play out his contract. He was a restricted FA. Every team in the league had a chance to sign him and arrange compensation with the Chargers, nobody took the bait. They placed the 1st rd & 3rd rd pick tender on him, but they would take a 2nd rounder and a 3rd in following years draft or something along those lines. Nobody wanted him. His contract demands are ridiculous, especially for a guy who is one bender away from a year suspension. Dude turned down a 1 yr $3.25 mill contract in the PRIME of his earning power.

25. Roscoe P. Coaltrain says:
    August 27, 2010 8:32 PM
    ————————————————–
    LMFAO!!!! Dude, put down the crack pipe and read Gregg’s article….the F@cking Pukers are not part of any of it!!!
    You may be right about Gayrod being a top 3 QB,he is a little stat bitch…too bad he can’t ever deliver a post season win….will never leave Lorenzo’s shadow….

26. Vincent Jackson + Minnesota = good fit. He could pal around with the Mayor of Mankato and the GOP candidate running for Governor. Land of 10,000 rehab centers and enough passive-aggressive, backwater, provincial hick drunks to fill them all!

27. I don’t get the extended holdouts this year. Guys, if you sit out this year followed by a lockout, you won’t get paid until 2012. Can you go two years without a paycheck? How about baby mama?

28. I get it your a Viking fan Pervy harvin. And you have a great qb for 1 more year and only 1. I am just stating very bold predictions. I don’t do crack but I am a long time chiefs fan. And watching favre or rodgers I am very jealous. You have to remember I am stuck with 60million dollar Matt (3 and out) cassel. So i have to be sedated during all chief games which are happening now or i will kick my beloved bull terrier benny all over the front room. And benny doesnt deserve that for cassel’s sins. But Rodgers is an absolute stud and I am sticking to my guns on this one.

29. Roscoe P. Coaltrain says:
    August 27, 2010 9:42 PM
    ……or i will kick my beloved bull terrier benny all over the front room.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Oh no, for the love of Benny, stay sedated!

30. People like Vincent Jackson wonder why they have no superbowl rings. Good to see hes just like every charger player putting themselves before the team.. SD is a team full of individuals. the difference between them and New England is so noticeable… NE is a team, SD is a collection of talent.

31. # AlwaysSunnyInSD says: August 27, 2010 9:19 PM
    ——-
    Says the man from the twice-as-backwater state of South Dakota.

32. What an ass!
    Fine. Sitout this year.
    No pay.
    Might be a strike next year.
    No pay.
    Sell your house, 4 cars and bling. Then move back in with your mother.
    That would be my dream.
    NO NFL owner is paying 30 Mil guaranteed to an idiot who who is one strike away from a year long suspension.

33. Love how the Saints/ New Orleans post doesn’t allow comments.
    ViQueens fans are drama queens just like their
    team.

34. Jackson is a good receiver but not even close to that contract. Jackson really only had one SOLID season and now he wants to get paid like Brandon Marshall and Andre Johnson, he is fing nuts!

35. Timing is everything, as they say. This probably would have worked 2 or 3 years ago. Times have changed dramatically. Too many teams have been smoked by dirt bags that don’t want to work.
    Really bad timing for Jackson. Had he went with his gut rather than a money-grubbing agent, he could be catching 100 balls and 10 TD’s from Favre this season, while making decent coin and hoisting the Lombardi trophy.
    Ironic – the things that motivate, or fail to motivate people nowadays.

36. I don’t know why he would need more money… 18 packs are on sale at the local grocery store this week.

37. He is a decent receiver, but he is an egomaniac that likes to drive drunk costing himself 3 games already and an 80% chance of 16 more after his next bender. Looking at his contract demands, he appears to be a crackhead too. No sane person thinks the way he does. Keep trusting those agents VJ and unless they start paying you, you are screwed. No team will pay even 1/2 of what he wants with the potential baggage he has.

38. Rovibe:
    Are you more concerned about Vincent Jackson or Jared Allen? He’s the guy I would be concerned with 2 strikes.
    Also, you act as if the Berrian contract is not a big deal. Not a big deal to give a mediocre receiver a massive contract? 16 million as you say? Are you serious…for that hack. $42 million is still $42 million.
    Vikes front office needs to take some lessons from Patriots/Colts.

39. Question: If Vincent Jackson doesn’t sign a contract this year and sits out all of 2010, does his three game suspension still count for the first three games of 2010 or is the three game suspension only valid if a player under contract?
    I would guess if you’re NOT under contract so you are considered unemployed (even though the Chargers own his rights). So, how can you serve a penalty if you’re unemployed?
    Plus, most suspensions mean that players do NOT get paid game paychecks, or the team donates those game paychecks to a charity. But Vincent Jackson is NOT getting any game paychecks if he’s sitting out the season.

40. # BigBear123 says: August 27, 2010 10:15 PM
    Love how the Saints/ New Orleans post doesn’t allow comments.
    ViQueens fans are drama queens just like their
    team.
    ————-
    Does it ever occur to you that it was the Saints fans there that caused that to happen? That or PFT is in on the touchy feely good time story for the Katrina survivors that is the NFL coddling them throughout the season. Obviously you had something to say there too or else you wouldn’t be looking. Pathetic to go looking for a fight like that, truly.

41. Come on VJ – 5 years 50 million is only paid to unproven rookies…
    Besides you’ll just pound too many Goose and Red Bulls with that kind of ching.

42. buttondown says:
    August 27, 2010 7:30 PM
    Sorry pal but, I don’t even think Peyton Manning is worth 50 million, never less Vincent Jackson. I love the sport but think that the players are far overpaid. The NFL and its teams should pay for walking the walk, not talking the talk. In other words, a player at his position should be graded on teamwork, responsibility, tenure and be graded on his numbers, just as if he was in school. Then if a player received 50 million would he actually be worth it. But, as we all know… thats not how the world works, it would be too easy.

43. @kmartinson:
    ———————————————–
    Why should any Viking fan be concerned with Jared Allen’s 2 strikes?
    As of 2008, Allen was no longer in the NFL substance abuse program. It’s been almost 3.5 years since he’s had a DUI. Obviously I don’t know the guy but it seems like his troubles are behind him (save for a minor bar scuffle)….
    Long live the mullet.

44. One thing I do know is that Minnesotans are drunks, only takes one visit to figure that one out. Don’t believe it? Check out their voting record.

45. I get it your a Viking fan Pervy harvin. And you have a great qb for 1 more year and only 1. I am just stating very bold predictions. I don’t do crack but I am a long time chiefs fan. And watching favre or rodgers I am very jealous. You have to remember I am stuck with 60million dollar Matt (3 and out) cassel. So i have to be sedated during all chief games which are happening now or i will kick my beloved bull terrier benny all over the front room. And benny doesnt deserve that for cassel’s sins. But Rodgers is an absolute stud and I am sticking to my guns on this one.
    **********************************************
    How about he wins a playoff game before we collectively start creaming all over ’em.

46. jackson will be a viking guaranteed, they are just working out the details before it goes to a longer suspension, you will see, no way is he staying in sd.

47. # cusoman says: August 28, 2010 12:02 AM
    # BigBear123 says: August 27, 2010 10:15 PM
    Love how the Saints/ New Orleans post doesn’t allow comments.
    ViQueens fans are drama queens just like their
    team.
    ————-
    =========
    Why would it be Saints fans causing problems on a story that was positive about their team/city? I’d say the problem was the idiots who hear “Katrina” and think, “Ooh, time for me to make a tasteless joke.” It wasn’t just Vikings fans; for some reason most people on this site can’t seem to separate football from real life when they go off on their classless rants.

48. @scra22
    Disrespectful responses are just as bad as the person who made the initial statement, and there were plenty of those coming from your fellow Saints fan SSgtLMJ.
    But I totally agree, the ad hominem attacks on this site are very out of control and there would be less of them if the PFT moderators would actually moderate instead of just locking down whole threads in some cases, and letting the crap fly in every other thread. On this site, it often feels like it’s less about being a fan of the team you root for, and more about being a jerk on threads about your rival.

49. “I trust my agents, they’ve been doing a great job for me, but we really don’t have an idea”
    now that’s comedy.