Big week ahead for Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas

We’ve periodically checked in during the offseason with Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas, the two wideouts the Redskins selected in the second round of the 2008 draft.

It only seems right to update their status as they hit their biggest week of the year.

Kelly finally returned to practice on Monday, the first time he’s done so since training camp started.  Thomas, meanwhile, has been passed on the depth chart by graybeard Joey Galloway and unknown Anthony Armstrong.  Thomas doesn’t know where he stands.

“It’s kind of up in the air. It could go either way,” Thomas said to Rick Maese of the Washington Post. “I don’t really know
the scenario. I’m just going to play my heart out, do what I
got to do to stay on this team.”

Thomas didn’t get a single snap in the third preseason game, but he’ll be plenty active this week. Kelly hopes to play Thursday as well.

It could be the last chance for both Vinny Cerrato specials to prove to Mike Shanahan they are worth keeping.

UPDATE: Oy. Kelly suffered a setback at practice Monday.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Washington Redskins
17 Responses to “Big week ahead for Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas”
  1. chc4 says: Aug 30, 2010 1:10 PM

These two losers have had long enough to show something. I doubt one more preseason game will carry much weight.

2. tinopuno says: Aug 30, 2010 1:10 PM

“I’m just going to do what I got to do to get the union back.”
    Oh wait! I thought Devin was auditioning for the next Jimmy Hoffa movie!

3. BigMikeSkinsFan says: Aug 30, 2010 1:21 PM

graybeard? dont be an idiot.
    and NOBODY saw anthony armstrong come on. he is going to be a legit WR on our team for sure.
    as far as these 2 are concerned I wouldnt waste the kb’s to write about them on this site. unless kelly blows up this game he is gone and thomas may end up finding himself buried in ST land.

4. Quentin673 says: Aug 30, 2010 1:31 PM

so the eagles starting receivers are going to be joey galloway and santana moss?? by week 4 mcnabb is going to be begging for greg lewis, todd pinkston and hank baskett back.

5. The Black Cat says: Aug 30, 2010 1:41 PM

Two years in Jim Zorn’s offense doesn’t count, they are still rookies.

6. DCAdam says: Aug 30, 2010 1:44 PM

Kelly hurt himself already today. No, I’m not joking.

7. RIP__21 says: Aug 30, 2010 1:52 PM

Time to face facts. Kelly cant stay healthly enough to practice let alone suit up every week. Thomas has a football IQ similar to that of a box of rocks.
    Cut them both and send fat al to San Diego for Vincent Jackson.

8. petro says: Aug 30, 2010 1:52 PM

Quentin673- Uh, the Eagles WR’s are Jackson & Maclin with Avant as a slot guy.

9. Hail 2 Dan Snyder says: Aug 30, 2010 1:53 PM

With D.Thomas more concerned about modelling and night life then the gridiron he’s on pace to be A typical wide reciver from MSU flop (SEE: Plaxico, Charles Rogers)
    The other guy has hands of glue but a body made of glass.
    Good Ridance.
    Draft Julio Jones!!!!

10. philbirds says: Aug 30, 2010 1:55 PM

rewind back to when santana had a normal hairline and these were 2 of the fastest receivers in the game

11. joshington says: Aug 30, 2010 2:06 PM

Kelly has talent, but it doesn’t matter if he can’t get on the field. I don’t know whats up with Thomas, i am surprised he can’t do better than Galloway or Armstrong, but that’s the way it goes i guess.

12. Hollywood26 says: Aug 30, 2010 2:12 PM

I’ve been a BIG Kelly supporter but enough is enough. It’s time for him to take a settlement and go away.

13. Black QB White RB says: Aug 30, 2010 2:28 PM

Oh well, not the worst moves Cerrato ever made…
    Both picks could have, at that time, been spent on some o-linemen instead of wr’s to run routes while Campbell was running for his life…
    But Fred Davis has shown himself to be a player, also same draft, right?

14. smiley says: Aug 30, 2010 2:45 PM

Kelly is gone, Thomas has one more season to produce. Hail!!

15. CJ SPILLER says: Aug 30, 2010 2:48 PM

So, for you fantasy players………..I have Devin Thomas on my bench…..would it be worth dropping Thomas for Laurent Robinson from the Rams since Donnie Avery went down and Robinson is suppose to be their number one WR.

16. stan26 says: Aug 30, 2010 2:53 PM

Galloway?
    You have to be kidding. He couldn’t make it with the Pats.
    Shanny has to be desperate.

17. brasho says: Aug 30, 2010 3:01 PM

In Cerrato’s defense, Devin Thomas was very highly thought of coming out of MSU. Kelly on the other hand, had a history of knee problems, had a poor attitude at the combine and pro day, and ran very slowly at his pro day after predicting he would light it up (then he made excuses forever). The warning signs were there for Kelly… I wouldn’t have touched him before round 6, Thomas on other hand could have went in round 1 and it wouldn’t have surprised me.