Favre already is getting ankle injections

NFL_favre2_250.jpgAs Vikings quarterback Brett Favre prepares for his 20th and final NFL season (unless it isn’t), he’s already getting the Tin Man treatment in order to ensure that his ankle will operate properly.

Per Peter King of SI.com, Favre has received lubricant injections into the joint.

Favre called it a “grease fitting.”  (Once his birthday comes around, we’ll have to start calling him “WD-41.”)

Favre also told King that, when Dr. James Andrews operated on the ankle in May, “[t]hey took out a cup full of stuff — bone and all these other loose
bodies.”

Favre’s wife observed the proceedings from a Junior Mint-free zone in the gallery.  “Deanna watched and told me,
‘If you don’t feel a lot better, I’ll be shocked,’” Favre said.

So will he feel a lot better all year?

“I don’t know.  I have no idea, really,” Favre told King.  “My ankle just
seems to get easier to sprain. I know everyone thinks the New Orleans
game  killed me, but it was bad before then.
Now we’ll see if I can make it.  My mind’s telling me one thing, but my
body’s telling me something else.”

Regardless of how it plays out, he has set the table either to be a hero, or to be heroic.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
64 Responses to “Favre already is getting ankle injections”
  1. Mike Daly says: Aug 30, 2010 10:59 AM

You mean be a season-ending failure isn’t an option? Why not, he’s been doing it his whole career.

2. azredbird4 says: Aug 30, 2010 11:00 AM

lil flo…wd 40? looking at you, you have no idea what to do with that product

3. Budget Audiophile says: Aug 30, 2010 11:01 AM

I like the Seinfeld reference. I was thinking the same thing.

4. cusoman says: Aug 30, 2010 11:02 AM

No surprise here, it’s part of the procedure after all. He will be fine, Saints fans who think he’s going down in week 1 be damned.

5. Old School says: Aug 30, 2010 11:05 AM

“…he has set the table either to be a hero, or to be heroic.”
    Or as usual, he has put himself and his ego before the team.

6. StonerLab says: Aug 30, 2010 11:06 AM

It doesn’t matter how many injections Favre takes this season he’s too slow to get out of harms way from what I’ve seen of him this Pre-season. This “FINAL” year for Favre is going to end badly, count on it!
    KARMA BABY!

7. Jack Factor says: Aug 30, 2010 11:06 AM

The “I had a Boo-Boo- Card” is already half way out of his Wranglers!

8. MotorCityKitties says: Aug 30, 2010 11:08 AM

Vikings are 8-8 at best this year. Watch. Favre doesn’t finish the season. Chilly gets whacked. Front office shakes up coordinators. Players jump ship. Older players retire. The Vikings have a sinking ship with Chilly’s philosophy/regime but don’t know it quite yet.

9. ViqueenTears says: Aug 30, 2010 11:08 AM

We can always count on some fresh Viqueen news…gotta love it! Just imagine how his ankle will feel a week from Friday morning…he should have just stayed in Hattisburg. Glad ole T. Jackson’s on the ready…8-8 at best!

10. shiftyshellshocked says: Aug 30, 2010 11:11 AM

You pecker head Packer fans can say what you want, but Favre is a tough old bastard.

11. Strick says: Aug 30, 2010 11:13 AM

As a Packer fan, I hope Brett and the Vikings have a terrible year. But, as a… a… umm… er…
    Actually, that’s all there is. I hope Brett and the Vikings have a terrible year.

12. Bigbluefan says: Aug 30, 2010 11:15 AM

Excuse # ?
    Lets get ready for the built in reasons why brett and viqueens suck this season

13. straightup says: Aug 30, 2010 11:15 AM

This guy should call it quits while he can still walk correctly. He won’t make it threw the season. I bet if he asked Dr. Andrews recommendation would be for him to hang it up.

14. Ralph says: Aug 30, 2010 11:19 AM

Until the ankle tightens up, he will be more proned to ankle sprains. Have to pump in the grease and tape it up.
    Just another reason why he should have had the surgery sooner than he did, but then the same is true for Sidney Rice.

15. jd says: Aug 30, 2010 11:22 AM

“My mind’s telling me one thing, but my body’s telling me something else.”
    …… I don’t see nothing wrooooong, with a little bump n’grind

16. Who is Mike Jones says: Aug 30, 2010 11:23 AM

8-8

17. Qoojo says: Aug 30, 2010 11:24 AM

“My mind’s telling me one thing, but my body’s telling me something else”
    That’s pretty much the tale of growing old, “I use to be able to do this…”

18. Hap says: Aug 30, 2010 11:25 AM

After watching their last preseason game, I predict that he will break his “consecutive games started” this yr.

19. Mick730 says: Aug 30, 2010 11:27 AM

Through the season, not “threw” the season. Good lord, what kind of education do you people have?

20. petro says: Aug 30, 2010 11:28 AM

If Chris Clemmons can rush him like that and he can’t get out of the way….then they’re in trouble.

21. BigMikeSkinsFan says: Aug 30, 2010 11:29 AM

junior mint free zone…that was actually kind of funny Florio. good for you!!
    Im always shocked to see players push themselves even when something as serious as “removing a cup full of stuff” happens to an appendage you need for every day life. guess its too hard to give up.

22. EverybodyGotAIDS says: Aug 30, 2010 11:29 AM

__________________
    I didn’t know the rectum was considered a “joint”. I also didn’t know that semen was a lubricant.

23. CJ SPILLER says: Aug 30, 2010 11:30 AM

And here we go!! Florio to the rescue of Brett Favre again!! Why is it you put other NFL teams down but you don’t with the Vikings and Favre. Your mancrush really shows Florio!! I bet you can’t sleep at night, staying awake thinking about a million different ways you could tune Brett Favre’s meatwhistle!!

24. Krow says: Aug 30, 2010 11:33 AM

Man. The older you get the quicker those PEDs wear off.

25. Contra says: Aug 30, 2010 11:35 AM

Yea yea yea…any headline with Favre in it will generate clicks.
    Bottom line…PFT will go under the same year Brett retires!

26. Love_Boat_Scandal says: Aug 30, 2010 11:39 AM

Ladies and gentleman, the $16.5 million man. 40 years old and a bum ankle. Good luck with that, Minnesota.

27. fleet10 says: Aug 30, 2010 11:40 AM

Regardless of how you feel about Favre, you have to commend his probably-never-be-matched string of consecutive starts.
    That said, I feel the Vikings, and Childress in particular, are doing the entire Vikings roster a horrible disservice. (Favre included).
    To stake the Super Bowl aspirations of a very talented roster on a 40-year old who’s falling apart and interception-prone at crucial times isn’t fair.
    Too many players on that roster who are at or near their prime are hostage to Favre and his performance, “all for the glorification of HIS massive ego”.

28. Bell63 says: Aug 30, 2010 11:41 AM

“My mind’s telling me one thing, but my body’s telling me something else.”
    …… I don’t see nothing wrooooong, with a little bump n’grind
    —————————–
    LOl – Glad I’m not the only one who thought of that immediately..

29. ViqueenTears says: Aug 30, 2010 11:43 AM

I think that’s a picture of Brett sitting on the Superdome turf…Saints will make it his favorite spot again in a little over a week!

30. Mike Daly says: Aug 30, 2010 11:43 AM

Favre getting ankle injections. As long as the needle is going there and not up the ……

31. zod says: Aug 30, 2010 11:48 AM

WD40 is a solvent not a lubricant
    And Peter King walks funny

32. vikes backer says: Aug 30, 2010 11:50 AM

Favre is an ironman, has been for the last 19 seasons. All those who are talking smack about him failing this year, remember you were saying that same crap last season, and he had one of his best years ever. Expect no less out of a competitor like favre for this season. He and the rest of the viking team are going to finish this all the way to Dallas and the superbowl!

33. Percy Headachin says: Aug 30, 2010 11:51 AM

Its honestly not Favre’s fault he talks about his ankle so much. I mean the reporters ask him about it every day. What is he supposed to say ” its fine, leave me the F alone.” I mean geez. But in the same breath I am sick of it. His ankle should have its own twitter account and facebook page.

34. Vee says: Aug 30, 2010 11:54 AM

Hang it up, Bret – not before it’s too late – because that’s already come and gone. But hang it up before you end up crippled like Earl Campbell.
    Do you remeber the line from the old Top Gun movie, “Son, your ego’s writing checks your body can’t cash!”

35. Gravy Makes Sconnies Fat says: Aug 30, 2010 12:03 PM

Strick says: August 30, 2010 11:13 AM
    *********************
    god it’s nice to read a comment from an honest pcker fan. of course you hope brett and the vikes have a terrible year, and you should. but then there’s all these other pcker fans that instead of using the proper word, HOPE, say things like “8-8, guaranteed” or “he won’t make it past game 6″, which is just nothing but wishful thinking and has no more meaning than if i said “2-14 at best for the pckers, book it”.

36. petro says: Aug 30, 2010 12:10 PM

Vikes Backer- I’m a Favre hater but admit he’s a great player who will do well. My point is that when the chips are all on the table, he’s going to throw a stupid pick at the worst time and then a Madden type will just bellow that he’s “Having fun” out there. Good luck with a statue of a QB back there pal.

37. ViqueenTears says: Aug 30, 2010 12:11 PM

Nosredna…maybe the wild card will go thru MN…the NFCCG will once agin go thru NOLA!

38. Jack Acid says: Aug 30, 2010 12:11 PM

This season is going to be a huge letdown, Chilly fired ASAP and the Vikes will still be looking for their franchise QB next year.
    Way to go, Minny FO!

39. cusoman says: Aug 30, 2010 12:13 PM

# EverybodyGotAIDS says: August 30, 2010 11:29 AM
    __________________
    I also didn’t know that semen was a lubricant.
    ————
    Poor chap. Well, at least they made a movie about you that you can hang your hat on down in that basement of yours! Steve Carrel was pretty awesome in it, gotta admit that.

40. Chiefs2010 says: Aug 30, 2010 12:16 PM

How are injections not performance-enhancing?

41. gregjennings says: Aug 30, 2010 12:16 PM

As a Packer fan I love watching Favre and wish him the best, but I don’t think this season will end well for him. 8-8

42. EverybodyGotAIDS says: Aug 30, 2010 12:18 PM

Percy Headachin says:
    August 30, 2010 11:51 AM
    _______________
    Ummm..yeah. That’s exactly what he’s supposed to say.

43. CarlGerbschmidt says: Aug 30, 2010 12:21 PM

Who Cares?
    Favrey and the vikings are done. He had one of the best years of his career last year and STILL couldn’t even get the vikings to the Super Bowl. You know he won’t be as good this year. They’ll be lucky to even make the playoffs.
    How many Super Bowls have you won?

44. Tjackfan says: Aug 30, 2010 12:24 PM

You can tell who is worried here.
    Whenever a Packer fan sees “Vikings”, or “Favre” in the title, they fly over here and try to make predictions. I saw the exact same thing last year. How did that work out for all of you drunk Sconnies in 2009? I recall your Ellen Degeneres look-alike QB getting sacked 14 times.

45. jimmySee says: Aug 30, 2010 12:26 PM

“Gravy Makes Sconnies Fat says:
    August 30, 2010 12:03 PM

Must be on your lunch break at Junior high?

46. green man says: Aug 30, 2010 12:27 PM

As a Bears fan it pains me to say none of this matters, The flippin Packer’s are going to run away w/ the division.

47. Gravy Makes Sconnies Fat says: Aug 30, 2010 12:37 PM

it’s nice that all these pcker fans whose predictions for favre and the vikes last year failed utterly haven’t gotten discouraged and are recycling the same predictions/wishful thinking this year.

48. Gravy Makes Sconnies Fat says: Aug 30, 2010 12:40 PM

“I recall your Ellen Degeneres look-alike QB getting sacked 14 times.”
    that’s totally true, if you put a beard on ellen degeneres, they would be almost identical.

49. Scaevola says: Aug 30, 2010 12:40 PM

As a Packer fan, I loved and rooted for Favre when he played here. Now that he plays for another team in the division, I root against him. It’s as simple as that, and ought to be for everybody. . .
    That being said, neither Favre nor any other professional athlete or celebrity is someone I look to as a model on how to live my life. Great role models, great human beings, abound among ordinary people–grandparents, teachers, firefighters, veterans. Look there if you want somebody to admire.
    We ought also to distinguish between Favre the person and the image that the NFL wants to portray of Favre because, let’s face it, Favre makes an obscene amount of money for the league and gives them a “brand” with which to market itself. It’s that image of Favre, that’s hammered into us repeatedly by the league, ESPN and other media outlets, that leads to all the emotions on these boards because, for some odd reason, people take the manufactured image of Favre seriously–and so there are all of the lovers and haters. Favre the person (or Manning, or Brady, or any other of the league darlings) is no more the person these multi-million dollar marketing machines make him out to be than Werner Klemperer from Hogan’s Heroes was really a Nazi.

50. FoF says: Aug 30, 2010 12:44 PM

Any of you idiots still want to say that he is using this injury as an “excuse”?

51. Johnnyb612 says: Aug 30, 2010 12:46 PM

What a pussy. It’s a good thing Chilie won’t have the balls to bench him.

52. Contra says: Aug 30, 2010 12:46 PM

CarlGerbschmidt says:
    August 30, 2010 12:21 PM
    Who Cares?
    How many Super Bowls have you won?
    ——
    I havent won any. I was good enough to play as a starter in NCAA college football wasn’t quite there for the pro’s. How about you? How far did your NFL career get you?

53. FoF says: Aug 30, 2010 12:48 PM

WTF do I even bother reading Peter King’s MMQB anymore? I can just get a rehash here with Florio plagerizing the whole article in several differnt posts.

54. MNFANINAZ says: Aug 30, 2010 12:48 PM

See you in Dallas, Brett!
    Love,
    Vikings fans across the globe!
    SKOL!!!!!
    PS: did the Cowboys play this weekend??? hmmm???

55. tinopuno says: Aug 30, 2010 12:50 PM

Favre already is getting ankle injections
    In contrast to the beef injections he’s been GIVING ‘Special Ed’ Brad for the past year!

56. AlwaysSunnyInSD says: Aug 30, 2010 12:52 PM

Forget a picture of the boo-boo, I want to see a picture of the cup of stuff! Favre and his antics/excuses are easier to read than a Dick and Jane book. No dick joke intended.

57. Florida727 says: Aug 30, 2010 12:57 PM

I’m definitely not a Favre fan, but I do admire the guy. Can you think of any other human being alive that will more than likely NOT meet expectations, yet bag twenty-something MILLION before hanging it up? If I didn’t know better, I’d swear he was a Fortune 500 CEO…

58. CarlGerbschmidt says: Aug 30, 2010 1:02 PM

Contra says:
    August 30, 2010 12:46 PM
    CarlGerbschmidt says:
    August 30, 2010 12:21 PM
    Who Cares?
    How many Super Bowls have you won?
    ——
    ——
    We’re happy for ya…

59. skimbell says: Aug 30, 2010 1:08 PM

“… he has set the table either to be a hero, or to be heroic…”
    _________________
    Smell’s like the kid running around out there just having fun’s swan song to me.

60. PackerFanTastic says: Aug 30, 2010 1:08 PM

@Scaevola – What?!?!?! You mean Hogan’s Heroes wasn’t real?

61. Shoessler says: Aug 30, 2010 1:09 PM

The dead silence you hear is the water receeding…you are somewhat hesitant, but curious, as you slowly sip the last drop of the Kool-Aid and don your Favre jersey. Stare my friend, stare into the sinking sea…
    A Psunami of embar-ASS-ment on the grandest scale is about to take place…heed the warnings. The beginning of the end of the Chilly and Favre OCCUPATION of the Vikings is about to take place, and thus, the purity to all things Vikings shall be restored.
    -I may be the only Vikes fan here in Minnesota, who still believes that: The Packers Suck and Favre Swallows…I placed an Asterisk on my team until Favre is gone and this OCCUPATION is over.
    I WANT MY TEAM BACK!
    -Loyal Vikings Anti-Favre Partisan

62. Allied Biscuit says: Aug 30, 2010 1:11 PM

great job reporting. you report what others have researched and reported already. awesome journalistic skill on this site.

63. 12TimeWorldChamps says: Aug 30, 2010 1:11 PM

Hahaha – awesome. Meanwhile, Aaron Rodgers has no such problems. Are they going to fit Favre with a douche as well, LOL?
    THANKS TED

64. huegtoad says: Aug 30, 2010 1:14 PM

I CAN’T TALK, would like to but i can’t, can’t talk smack at all
    i am a bears fan, if you saw saturdays game, you know, i have no room at all to talk