The guys that still go too late in fantasy drafts

F. Jackson1.jpgAfter doing a few more drafts this week, we’ve got a good feel of how Fantasy Football Nation is viewing players.

We love guys like Arian Foster and Johnny Knox, but the word is out.  Foster sometimes gets taken in the early fourth round and Knox goes in the fifth.  (Both players — especially Foster — should be great.  But their draft position has caught up with their talent.)

With that in mind, here are a few players we still think are getting drafted too late based on the Rotoworld online draft guide

Jamaal Charles: The Thomas Jones news has spooked way too many of you. Charles has top-five upside.  Great second round pick.  (We have Charles ranked ninth in PPR leagues.)

Mike Williams (TB): Amazingly, he’s still going very late in drafts.  There is no one else to catch the ball in Tampa and Williams is legit.  He’s a 1,000-yard receiver with a little help from his quarterbacks.

Fred Jackson: Think long-term. He may start slow, but we’ll take our chances he’s the most valuable fantasy back on a run-first team, especially since he’s getting drafted as a RB4.

Antonio Gates: It’s a small thing, but we like the value of Gates (and
other top TEs like Vernon Davis and Jermichael Finley) over some of the
shakier WR2/3s and RB2s that often go before them.

John Carlson: A potential every-week starting tight end that sometimes goes undrafted

Devin Hester: We like Knox a lot more, but not five rounds more.  Hester
is routinely getting ignored.  He’s a nice reserve pick.

Eddie Royal: We’d bet the Broncos produce more passing yards this year
without Brandon Marshall and someone has to catch the passes.  Think
poor man’s Wes Welker.

Montario Hardesty: It’s rare that a rookie power back with a great
chance to lead his team in rushes goes out of the top 100 picks.

Malcom Floyd and Legedu Naane: Vincent Jackson is not walking through
that door. (Although we still like V-Jax outside the top 100 picks in
case he gets dealt.)

Finally, we just wanted to say thanks to everyone that’s made this a record-breaking year for Rotoworld in draft guide sales and traffic.  2 million pages views per day the last three days.  I’m not even going to mention that to Florio or he’ll get jealous.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
24 Responses to “The guys that still go too late in fantasy drafts”
  1. yaryers says: Sep 1, 2010 11:40 AM

Eddie Royal is a poor man’s Wes Welker? To whose Randy Moss? Royal plays the part of a #1 wideout, but has the talent of a #3. Plus, he has no rapport with Orton. Don’t get burned by him like I did last year.

2. csloan99 says: Sep 1, 2010 11:48 AM

Jabar Gaffney is going to have a huge year. Just look at what he did when Marshall was out last year (14 catches, 213 yards). He’s also been a hot target during the preseason (6 catches, 98 yards against the Lions in less than a half).

3. Playmaker's Dealer says: Sep 1, 2010 11:51 AM

Solid list, pretty good job.
    I still think you’re a little too high on Jackson (who I can’t see scoring many TD’s…6ish) especially if Spiller is what I’m hearing he should be

4. Belichick for President says: Sep 1, 2010 11:57 AM

Eddie Royal: We’d be the Broncos produce more passing yards this year without Brandon Marshall and someone has to catch the passes. Think poor man’s Wes Welker.
    I don’t know, Gregg. We were fed this line last year and it blew up in the face of everyone who drafted him.

5. Sociofan says: Sep 1, 2010 12:03 PM

Okay Rosenthal. I just dumped Steve Breaston for Mike Williams. If your recommendation lets me down, I’ll hunt you down and paint you purple.

6. rocknrollsinger says: Sep 1, 2010 12:05 PM

Well, this article makes me feel like I aced my draft, landing Mike Williams, Johnny Knox, Fred Jackson, and Legadu Naanee. Unfortunately, I also drafted a 41-year old QB who just got KY Intense injected into his ankle.

7. Devoe1129 says: Sep 1, 2010 12:12 PM

The minute Thomas Jones stops producing in this league his career is over, I doubt he’ll let that happen after running for over 1200 yards last season. Jamaal Charles will see his load diminish to Dexter McCluster. Also, Haley will use Thomas Jones on 3rd down due to his pass protection. Jamaal Charles is the next Steve Slaton.

8. donnyp says: Sep 1, 2010 12:13 PM

I am a Bills fan but I would have to agree with Playmaker’s Dealer. Statistically, last year Fred Jackson was average. If you look at what he did throughout the year, he had 2 good games. Against the Bucs and against the Colts, both of which can’t be held too high. Over 100 against the Bucs isn’t special and although the 200+ against the Colts seems good, it should be noted that we played the practice squad. Otherwise, a lot of his all purpose yardage was on special teams which doesn’t do much in fantasy leagues. Touchdowns were not that great either with a total of 4. PPR leagues may not be bad with 40+ receptions. I just think the inconsistent play would deem a high draft pick.

9. donnyp says: Sep 1, 2010 12:47 PM

wouldn’t* deem a high draft pick

10. Charles Wood says: Sep 1, 2010 12:57 PM

I picked up Vincent Jackson in the 17th round of our 10 team draft and Mike Williams in the 18th. Not bad, considering my 3 starters are Randy Moss, Crabtree and Hakeem Nicks. What are the chances Jackson plays this season before November??

11. green&bold says: Sep 1, 2010 1:13 PM

Fred Jackson long term? Moronic. If I were thinking long term with the bills I’d probably stick with the guy they just drafted in the top 10 who is having a better preseason than I thought he could.
    Agree with the other poster. Don’t get burned on Royal. He is not even close to wes welker and there certainly is no randy moss.
    Also, Hester is getting ignored because he’s a #3 wr at best in the NFL making him about a #5 wr in fantasy football. He’s being ignored by Cutler as much as he is being ignored in FFL.

12. Sow Crates says: Sep 1, 2010 1:50 PM

Tony Scheffler and Jabar Gaffney out-produced Eddie Royal last year.
    Daniel Graham and Brandon Stokley were within 50 yards of outproducing Royal last year as well.
    There’s no shortage of WRs that will get 400 yards this season, not sure why you’re flaunting this particular one.

13. myeaglescantwin says: Sep 1, 2010 1:56 PM

Cadilac Williams.. sleeper and he’s a 3 down back with no one else to steal carries now that ward is gone..

14. kvh59 says: Sep 1, 2010 2:08 PM

yaryers,
    Royal plays in the slot just like Welker and the # 1 has been Jabar Gaffney not Royal. Gregg is not that far off if you do your homework

15. Lee Harvey says: Sep 1, 2010 2:20 PM

Rotoworld sucks. Worst $30 I’ve ever spent. I high tailed it back to footballguys.com this year. Worst. Site. Ever.

16. Nogard13 says: Sep 1, 2010 2:28 PM

csloan99 ,
    If you want to place a bet, I’ll put up my $10 to your $.50 that Brandon Lloyd has a better fantasy year than Gaffney, and he’s being ignored.
    Remember, Orton and Lloyd have a history when they both played in Chicago and Lloyd is finally healthy this year. Watch out for him being the #1 guy there.

17. steel curtain 2k says: Sep 1, 2010 2:38 PM

__________________
    I got burned by this bassad too! 2 years ago I was against him and he cost me my season (anybody remember a roughly 85 yard TD in overtime)
    So last year I was willing to sip the grape drank and picked him as my wr2 and suffered severely!
    This guy is poison for me for some reason

18. petro says: Sep 1, 2010 2:39 PM

I’m sorry guys but Jabar Faffney is not a #1. He wouldn’t have been on 4 teams if he were one. He’s a nice player but needs a real #1 with him.

19. Saint33 says: Sep 1, 2010 3:28 PM

Montario Hardesty is not the sleeper on Cleveland. Peyton Hillis is going to be the man for the Browns, and you heard it here first. He’s going to be a huge waiver wire pick up come week 3 or so. The guy has power, deceptive speed, can catch, can block, and is by far the most reliable option they have right now. White boy can run

20. OJPimpson says: Sep 1, 2010 3:31 PM

In our 8 team draft I got foster hardesty mike Williams Eddie royal Jamaal Charles and Knox . I guess put thinking here is similar . I also got Rodgers Ryan Peterson Roddy white Dallas Clark and miles Austin !!

21. Leto_II says: Sep 1, 2010 4:01 PM

________________________________
    Don’t get too excited. In an 8 team draft, every team is going to be good.

22. fbref99 says: Sep 1, 2010 4:05 PM

In an 8 team league and you got that…ouch

23. rea725 says: Sep 1, 2010 4:21 PM

Love my Browns, but it’s looking like RBBC there. Each of the 3 of them gets 4-6 TDs and 60-120 carries. Throw in James Davis, who looked better than Harrison last year in preaseason, and you have a pretty untenable fantasy situation in CLE. The only person I’d consider drafting there would be Massoqui as a WR3.

24. rocknrollsinger says: Sep 1, 2010 5:36 PM

Hey myeaglescantwin:
    I agree Caddy is a sleeper who started actually catching passes last year too, but you bet both his bionic knees that Kareem Huggins will be stealing carries. I have Jamaal Charles-ish fantasies about him. I think he’s in that league in terms of size, speed, elusiveness, and explosiveness. Just watch.
    I’m continually impressed with how much better the fantasy analysts accurately break down teams than the “real” analysts. The current ESPN rankings are incredibly up-to-date and pretty reliable. Yahoo’s are horribly out-of-date and terrible. I’m rambling.