Dez Bryant won't make his debut on Thursday night

Over the weekend, Cowboys rookie receiver Dez Bryant told the world, Twitter style, that he’ll be making his NFL debut in Thursday night’s preseason finale.

On Wednesday, the guy who signs Dez’s checks said otherwise.

Owner Jerry Jones announced at a Kickoff Luncheon that Dez will not face the Dolphins on Thursday night, according to Todd Archer of the Dallas Morning News.

Though Bryant has been cleared to practice and play after suffering a sprained ankle early in training camp, Jones explained that Bryant won’t be on the field, in part because no members of the starting offense will be playing.

And so, in a roundabout way, Jones possibly has confirmed that Bryant (who currently doesn’t appear on the depth chart at all) will at a minimum have a significant role in the No. 1 offense once the regular season starts.

Not bad for a guy who has barely practiced with a team that is otherwise loaded at the position he plays.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
20 Responses to “Dez Bryant won't make his debut on Thursday night”
  1. JayMan says: Sep 2, 2010 9:01 AM

Wait… how exactly are the cowboys “loaded” at wr?? Austin looks like a top tier guy but Roy is a joke and was a terrible trade. Crayton talks too much for a guy who is really a #4 guy at best and Witten doesn’t count because he’s a TE.
    Now if bryant lives up to his potential I would say the cowboys are in good shape with Roy moving to the #3 spot but until that happens I would not call the cowboys loaded at the position.

2. tiger2471 says: Sep 2, 2010 9:05 AM

Yeah, no game experience at all and Jerry wants to bring him out against the Skins, good move! Now you better just hope that first hit by Landry doesn’t put him back on the sidelines.

3. MrHumble says: Sep 2, 2010 9:11 AM

Who cares?????? Jerry Jones, Rex Ryan, Sean Payton, Chris Johnson, Bevis, VJax etc……..”it’s all about ME” people……tired of reading about selfish egotistical people of the NFL.

4. Jackson says: Sep 2, 2010 9:11 AM

Mike, have you seen the two-a-day practices he did participate in? he practiced for a solid 2 weeks and was the talk of camp make outstanding catches and “wow”ing the crowd. :) Kid has a high level of talent is going to immediately put in the #3 slot roll for now and eventually take the #1 or #2 spot.
    His work ethic thus far through mini-camp and training camp has been second to none. he’s a film room junky and is constantly in the coaches ear trying to improve.

5. Chapnasty. says: Sep 2, 2010 9:27 AM

As a Cowboy fan I would say that they are not “otherwise” loaded without him. I appreciate the random Cowboy praises Florio but you missed it here. Next time just say they have the best OL in the league.

6. Chapnasty. says: Sep 2, 2010 9:31 AM

@ Tiger
    Are you referring to Laron Landry of the Redskins? The guy who dives head first and misses tackles because for some odd reason he thinks he is strong enough to do so? You Redskins fans need to get over this Landry bum. He sucked last year (cue the out of position garbage argument) and he will suck again this year. He is your equivelant to Roy Williams (the safety)

7. boysroll says: Sep 2, 2010 9:36 AM

hey tiger….the only thing landry will see is the number on his back running for a TD as he misses another tackle. That guy is the biggest joke in the league. Did you not watch how bad that guy was last yr? what a dope!!!!
    Typical 4skin though as they continue to support below average players which is why they finish in last yr after yr…HAIL SUCKAS!!!! U GONNA NEED IT!!!!

8. Roger the Dodger says: Sep 2, 2010 9:39 AM

Jag-4-Life? And ragging on the Cowboys? Hee hee hee….
    Jayman – the Boyz have 6 playable receivers, and 3 (if Roy gets off his ass, like he did his first year in the league), have star potential. Crayton can start for most teams in the league. He ain’t flashy… he just gets the job done. The bottom two, Ogletree and Hurd show flashes; one will probably get dealt away, or cut and signed by another team. And that ain’t even counting Jesse Holley, Manny Johnson, or a raft of also-rans, some of which show some decent talent. Yeah, I think that’s pretty damn deep. Contrast that with CAR, WAS, KC, SEA, MIN, JAX, or a bunch of others.

9. SomeFans says: Sep 2, 2010 9:41 AM

“wowing” the crowd during OTS is hardly anything to hold onto. What a reach Cowgurl.

10. JayMan says: Sep 2, 2010 10:15 AM

Roger the Dodger – I said Austin was top tier and bryant has the potential to be. But if Roy really had star potential you wouldn’t have drafted Bryant. Crayton, yeah maybe he’s a starter on a bad team but he’s probably not even a #3 on an average team. The rest of the guys? Homer alert… not exactly household names. Every team has those guys.
    Bottom line, of your 6 “playable” receivers… how many have 1 or 2 1000 yard seasons in the last two years? I would say that AT LEAST 1/2 the teams in the league have the same level (or better) of talent.
    I’m not a cowboy hater by any means but they are NOT “loaded” at wr to the point where its crazy to think Bryant could become a starter after a couple weeks of camp.

11. NoKoolaidCowboy says: Sep 2, 2010 10:44 AM

I don’t like where this is heading. He may have “wowed” at training camp but these preseason games get a little tougher as they go along. And you get a little flavor of what to expect for real games.
    As for the Diva stuff, well the kid is getting his head swellled. He needs to control the tweeting, twitting or twatting, that stuff is for teenage girls anyway.

12. Roger the Dodger says: Sep 2, 2010 10:55 AM

JayMan – I agree that Bryant will probably be a starter soon. He just seems to have too much talent and Roy W. and Romo just have never clicked.
    But Roy has talent and CAN explode. Will he? Dunno. Doubt it at this point. But is he better than CAR’s #2? You bet your ass. Is Crayton? Probably. Ditto OAK, SEA, TEN, STL, etc.
    The Boyz have so much talent at the receiver positions (yes, including Witten) that it’s difficult for ANY of them to get a 1000 yard season. They spread the ball around too much. Likewise, I’ll be surprised if any RB gets 1000 yards – not because they’re incapable of it, but just because of the way they’re used in the offense.
    Re the “Homer” thing… yeah, I confess to some of that. But I DO watch the team closely (I’ve been a fan since the 60’s, I write about them for an online blog, I got to camp every year), and I have watched pro football for almost 50 years, and I once played the game (leather helmets and all that) – so I feel somewhat qualified to judge the Cowboys talent-wise against other teams I see. And I see a lot of talent at the WR position, so much so that several of them are going to get cut and signed elsewhere. That doesn’t happen unless the cut-ees are bettter than whatever the other team had on its roster.

13. Jag4Life says: Sep 2, 2010 11:09 AM

@Roger the Dodger
    To answer your question, yes I am and to once again reinterate it’s another OVERFLATED Cowboys season. Hell, why even play the season just show up for the SB.

14. texasPHINSfan says: Sep 2, 2010 11:42 AM

So basically we’ve seen nothing from this guy on an NFL field against another team, yet he is annointed a starter and will be the next Irvin? Right.
    This has recipe for bust written all over it.

15. BigMikeSkinsFan says: Sep 2, 2010 12:21 PM

NoKoolaid…nice post. seriously..and especially the tweeting, twatting, twitting part.
    as for him not playing ANY preseason and jumping right in to the regular season and making an impact; I dont think that has ever happened with any WR before. and then to top it off if you put him against a divisional rival I dont expect too much. I would say the same thing about Armstrong on our team. Guy is going off in preseason but against our hated rivals I dont think he even exists..

16. TryTheVeal says: Sep 2, 2010 12:39 PM

I hate Dallas with a passion…I Hate their bandwagon fans, i Hate how they act as if everyone in America cares, i hate the BSPN coverage, but i’m not delusional, they have talent, their O line is suspect, and i don’t think they are loaded at WR, they have studs on defense, which will carry them to the playoffs, and in the end it will be up to Romo, either he fades into the abyss, or steps up….Dez Bryant is a rookie just going along for the ride……

17. pft_b1ows says: Sep 2, 2010 1:19 PM

Veal sounds a little bitter about something. Fact of the matter is this, all professional sports teams are comprised of bandwagon fans. It is a part of sports, and is unavoidable. Also, I don’ t see anyone acting as if everyone should care about the Dallas Cowboys. Fans of all teams think that their team is the best, therefore this is irrelevant. The Cowboys have been a fairly successfull franchise over the years, so it is easy to understand why so many hate them. This is fine, just don’t be delusional about your own team and it’s fanbase, because it isn’t any different except for minus a few trophys perhaps.

18. pft_b1ows says: Sep 2, 2010 1:20 PM

19. Chapnasty. says: Sep 2, 2010 2:11 PM

Yeah MurderCapital…. You are a damn genius. I don’t know why you are sitting at work commenting on this website like the rest of us. You should be working as a GM somewhere with your genius ability to declare someone who has yet to take a professional snap a bust. Submit your resume to every team, hell I’ll submit it for you.
    Yutz.

20. TryTheVeal says: Sep 2, 2010 2:40 PM

@pft-brows
    ______________________________
    Well thanks…… for you’re dime store analysis of my comment…….I will use it for future reference when i plan on making a statement that makes zero sense……I will use it at my benchmark…Feel better now?