Leftwich has MCL damage

An agency purporting to represent Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich has posted on Twitter that Leftwich suffered a torn MCL on Thursday night in the preseason finale against the Panthers.

The Twitter page assigned to Pro Player Solutions links to a website that makes the entire thing seem legit.  But as further proof of the flaws in Mike Wise’s logic, we didn’t take this one at face value, because it wasn’t contained in a report from a tenured member of a respected media company.

Based on the PPS tweet, we have learned via a source with knowledge of the situation that Leftwich has damage to his MCL.  The degree of the damage isn’t known.

Still, the source added, “Whatever [the degree] is it seems to be serious.”

The MCL is a rope-like ligament that, if not completely severed, often can heal with rest.  Until the degree of Leftwich’s injury is known, the duration of his absence will be uncertain.

Still, with his primary assignment for 2010 covering the next four games (or if Terry Bradshaw gets his wish six), the existence of any MCL damage constitutes bad news for Leftwich.

UPDATE:  In a post-game press conference, coach Mike Tomlin said that Leftwich has a knee sprain and that he is undergoing an MRI.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
46 Responses to “Leftwich has MCL damage”
  1. President Florio says: Sep 2, 2010 10:34 PM

This isn’t a Mike Wise report is it?

2. FinFan68 says: Sep 2, 2010 10:36 PM

Let the Wise thing go…you are obsessed and nobody cares anymore except you

3. spytdi says: Sep 2, 2010 10:36 PM

The Rooney’s will beg Goddell to let Big Ben come back early. His suspension will be reduced. Dennis Dixon at the helm, the Steelers start 1-2.

4. TylerRDunn says: Sep 2, 2010 10:37 PM

WOW DOES THIS CHANGE THINGS.

5. Cup says: Sep 2, 2010 10:37 PM

Guess that puts Batch as the starter by default. At least he is a dependable QB when healthy.

6. fleet10 says: Sep 2, 2010 10:45 PM

oh my God, let it go with Mike Wise.
    You’re not his employer. His employer punished him, it’s not your job to do so.
    This is like me listening to that Kramer finance guy on TV, and pretending like it’s HIS fault if I took his advice and purchased common stock that plunged.
    Florio, if you’d quit fishing for material on a flippin’ website that was specifically designed so 13-year old girls could find out what Ashton Kutcher had for breakfast, this wouldn’t happen.

7. Deb says: Sep 2, 2010 10:47 PM

Feel really sorry for Leftwich because, if true, it’s the end of his season, and he doesn’t have a lot of opportunities in his future.
    I don’t have the game tonight–won’t see it until it reruns on NFL Network. Hope they’re giving Charlie some reps. Wonder if Hines or Randle El could take a few reps, too. Hey … in those Sketchers ads, Montana says he feels ready for a comeback. Kordell? Bubby?

8. Dustin Chandler says: Sep 2, 2010 10:48 PM

DENNIS DIXON

9. cunn9305 says: Sep 2, 2010 10:50 PM

Batch will start … Dixon is NOT ready … they will use him situationally against the Ravens tho …

10. Laxer37 says: Sep 2, 2010 10:54 PM

“knee sprain” is partial tear in coach speak.
    Looks like Dixon will run the show until Ben gets back with Charlie getting spared the axe that was coming tomorrow afternoon.

11. 8man says: Sep 2, 2010 10:54 PM

Hate the Steelers. Hate, hate, hate. But can’t take any happiness out of this. My dream is that they are all completely healthy and lose every game 77-0, with Rottensnotter throwing about 24 pick sixes.
    Is it me, or is there a plethora of knee injuries?
    Could someone create a chart of total knee injuries sustained versus total games over the past three seasons?
    This was a freakin’ pre-season game. Uh, the fourth for that matter. We may not need an 18 game regular season, but I’m pretty sure we don’t need a 4 game pre-season.
    I’m going to start wearing a brace just because. Disturbing.

12. khall says: Sep 2, 2010 10:54 PM

# spytdi says: September 2, 2010 10:36 PM
    __________
    Not likely, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette tonight, that report from Sal Paolantonio that they would be asking for a reduction to 3 was not true:
    “Reports have suggested that Rooney is accompanying Roethlisberger to the meeting to have his suspension for violating the league’s personal conduct policy reduced from six games to three games. But that is not the case.”

13. queenie says: Sep 2, 2010 10:59 PM

Deb says:
    September 2, 2010 10:47 PM
    _________________________
    now that’s funny!!!!

14. sharkattack says: Sep 2, 2010 11:01 PM

The Steelers offseason continues to be terrible. I would never cheer an injury, especially having went to Marshall (Leftwichs’ school,) but the Steelers are looking like a 7-win team.

15. dietrich43 says: Sep 2, 2010 11:04 PM

Let Charlie Batch have the job!

16. queenie says: Sep 2, 2010 11:12 PM

It’s all good…doesn’t matter how our season goes we’ll still have at least 6 and the haters will be left with nothing but their sick obsession with Big Ben’s wang.
    Go Steelers!

17. RAVNATION says: Sep 2, 2010 11:12 PM

yawn

18. Nosredna says: Sep 2, 2010 11:14 PM

Dayum Florio, are you so butthurt about the entire Wise debacle that you just cannot let it go?
    Move along…..its done and over with. Why bring it up in 3/4 of the posts on here?

19. Deb says: Sep 2, 2010 11:16 PM

@khall …
    Blast it! I’ve had a nagging feeling for the last couple of hours that was probably a false report.
    Doggonit Florio!
    Where’s Mark Malone?

20. ppdoc13 says: Sep 2, 2010 11:18 PM

Sorry boys and girls, I don’t throw dirt on the Steelers season before it even starts. I know better than that. After their heart is cut out, their head is cut off, their internal organs are eviscerated and they are doused in garlic, then I’ll declare them dead. But not before the season starts. Team has too much pride.
    Makes my Ravens job a little easier. Now all we need to do is figure out how to keep Carson Palmer from treating us like the red headed step child.
    Going to be a very interesting season in the AFCN. But it would surprise the hell out of me to see this team only win 7 games. I will admit, their offseason has been horrendous and I don’t see how they can maintain their focus to win the division, but Rapsitburger is only out 4 games and the Steelers just don’t roll over. I wish they would, but I just don’t see them throwing in the towel before the 1st snap of the season.

21. myspaceyourface says: Sep 2, 2010 11:19 PM

TIME TO RELEASE THE STEELCAT WITH DIXON.

22. Rhapsody says: Sep 2, 2010 11:21 PM

There is no flaw in Mike Wise’s logic. Florio fabricates 90% of what is posted on PFT.

23. BigBuckKillah says: Sep 2, 2010 11:22 PM

The only reason bradshaw wants 6 games for big ben is because he knows that ben is better than he ever was and will acomplich and break more records of his.

24. detnflfan says: Sep 2, 2010 11:22 PM

I say start Charlie Batch. I loved watching him play for us (the Lions) from 1998-2001. Not the best QB but better than Dixon, IMO.

25. andyprough says: Sep 2, 2010 11:26 PM

I guess offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is finally going to be forced to let the team try some power running. It’s an entire year too late, and it’s for all the wrong reasons, but maybe this team will play Steeler’s power football again for the first 4-6 games.
    Imagine that. All it took was a suspension and a knee injury. Maybe we will even see some two-running-back sets in the backfield during an actual regular season game. Crazy stuff.

26. Card Magnet says: Sep 2, 2010 11:28 PM

Dixon will do just fine.

27. Deb says: Sep 2, 2010 11:34 PM

@8man …
    Great post. That’s how I felt when Brady went down. If there were an Oscar for best stick-it-to-’em name, I’d vote you for Rottensnotter. Would it be disloyal if I called him that? Has a ring to it. Rottensnotter. Would make a good name for a dog. They need to fix this knee thing. Why are all these athletes breaking so easily? Is that something else to blame on global warming? It’s hot. My knee hurts.

28. Blackn'Gold says: Sep 2, 2010 11:36 PM

I saw the injury occur on the NFL channel. One of the offensive lineman bumped into Leftwich sideways. You could see the knee buckle. The best case scenario is he needs rest. The worst case scenario is Leftwich is done for the season.
    The Steelers will have to put the training wheels back on Dixon and move forward. The running game is now more important. Batch would probably be better starting but he has a history of being fragile.
    GO STEELERS!

29. Jack Burton says: Sep 2, 2010 11:44 PM

I’m fine with Dixon checking down to Hines and Miller, that’s not a bad situation to be in. Run the Pony Back set with Mendenhall and Redman and control the clock.

30. horntoad says: Sep 2, 2010 11:59 PM

Get Bradshaw out of the grave to play!

31. florio4prez says: Sep 3, 2010 12:35 AM

Not to worry Steeler Nation.
    We fortunately carry a stable of four QBs, three of whom are capable of holding down the fort until our starter returns.
    2-2 for sure. 3-1 and 4-0 still on the table.

32. CKL says: Sep 3, 2010 12:51 AM

Yikes, that sucks. I hate injuries to anyone regardless of what I think of their team. But like some others, I don’t get why it seems that Batch has been an afterthought to start the games while BR is gone. Any Steelers fans have any idea? I would think he would be fine for 4 games.

33. RebaT. says: Sep 3, 2010 1:17 AM

Dixon can run the ball if needed. Dixon was in line for the Heisman out of Oregan. Leftwich and Batch depend too much on the pocket and the offensive line for the Steelers SUCKS!! That rookie center is worthless. Ben runs like a girl…fat ass.
    Batch hands off too much. Mendenhall is NOT the Bus. Moore is a much better choice. Redman is good too.
    Tomlin needs to stay out of the Defense too. Let the MASTER (LeBeau) to the work.

34. Rev. Dr. HollywoodWags says: Sep 3, 2010 1:31 AM

Thanks Goodell for suspending Ben for half the season. He so deserved it, for what he did, the sex thing.
    And thanks Moe, for giving so much publicity to Ben trying to hook up. It was awful he did that.
    Did you hear Philip Merling punched a pregnant woman in the head?

35. myspaceyourface says: Sep 3, 2010 2:00 AM

Anyone who thinks it’s Batch isn’t paying attention.
    DIXON had one play after the injury and was pulled. They didn’t want to risk losing him as well.
    Batch finished things up.
    Dixon is the starter if no Lefty.
    STEELCAT UNLEASHED

36. gotsix? says: Sep 3, 2010 2:05 AM

dixon’s gonna tear it up. mark it.

37. BMOREBALLBUSTER says: Sep 3, 2010 2:10 AM

Troy Smith would be the perfect fit for four games over any of those bums…on second thought, SUCK IT!!!

38. philcommander says: Sep 3, 2010 3:30 AM

I think your team is not gonna do well when you are looking to Leftwich to save your season.
    Ben isnt invincible either…he’s gonna lose some games too.
    So if the steelers are 1-3 when Ben comes back then they might only manage 9 wins for the season…at best 10.
    This season is a scratch for them…no playoffs. It’s all Bens fault too.

39. 4th and goal says: Sep 3, 2010 5:30 AM

pitt loses to utah in o.t. and byron out dennis in. the boys on 93.7 the fan in pittsburgh got a lot to talk about!

40. mikeg11117 says: Sep 3, 2010 6:31 AM

@8MAN
    I know what you mean about the knee thing. Probably not a bad idea wearing a brace. Last year I was tossing a frisbee around with a buddy and “felt” something in my knee. I look down and see a lump. After hobbling around for a couple days I go to a doctor and find out I chunk of cartilage tore off the back side of my kneecap. Dude, I was tossing a FRISBEE!
    @ Deb
    Your posts crack me up. I love how you irritate all the anti-Steelers fans.
    @ everybody else…
    The Steelers will be fine. Obviously this franchise knows how to put the pieces in place to win. (please no referee replies, they are REALLY getting old).

41. FireJerryJones says: Sep 3, 2010 6:57 AM

Treatment calls for inactivity… perfect for Leftwich.
    Not sure how this is bad news. Pretty much guarantees he gets paid for the year.
    Dennis Dixon is the future here. He needs to play.

42. kravon says: Sep 3, 2010 8:13 AM

Looks like that keeps Tomlin from having to make a decision.
    Next man up. Running game better be ready for the next 4 games.

43. Didier says: Sep 3, 2010 8:41 AM

I admire Coach Tomblin, but he completely mishandled the QB situation.
    Leftwich should have received more reps in the first three preseason games and never been on the field last night.
    And, why give Roethlisberger so many reps?
    Now, if Batch starts, the opponent will load the box because he can’t stretch the field and, if Dixon starts, the opponent will mix up its packages to confuse him which will result in interceptions.
    Say what you want about Leftwich, he can keep the defense honest with that arm and give the team a chance to establish the run.
    With Batch, I think the team finishes 1-3, at best, until Roethlisberger returns and, with Dixon, 0-4 is a real possibility.

44. Just JTO says: Sep 3, 2010 9:07 AM

She said “Wise!” She said “Wise!”
    LMAO!!

45. Deb says: Sep 3, 2010 9:35 AM

@mikeg11117 …
    Thanks! My pleasure :)

46. BoMeister says: Sep 3, 2010 9:41 AM

Hey queenie, quit scraping yunz knuckles on the ground as you walk by…..
    Squeelers will be lucky to go 7-9 this season