Michael Bush expected to be out a while

Darren McFadden will finally get his chance to prove he can be a feature running back.

Jerry McDonald of the Oakland Tribune says that it’s “highly unlikely” Raiders running back Michael Bush will be ready for the season opener and could miss “up to a quarter of the season or more.”

The Raiders have kept injury information tight, but Bush said it was a “Bennett fracture” on his Twitter page and posted pictures of his surgery on Twitter.  McDonald learned that a 4-6 week recovery for a running back would be a “best case scenario” after speaking to an orthopedic surgeon in general terms about the injury.

Oakland may now keep both Rock Cartwright and Michael Bennett on the roster to back up McFadden early in the season.  We’re excited to see what McFadden can do with the chance to be The Man.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Michael Bush expected to be out a while”
  1. locc26 says: Sep 2, 2010 10:49 PM

OMG you didnt dis the raiders for once ! oh wait its you gregg…

2. Josh Br says: Sep 2, 2010 10:56 PM

McFadden has had chances before. But, expect to see 10 rushes for 25 yards down the middle. Than, maybe it’ll start to don on Hue that DMC can’t run up the middle.
    If they would just give him tosses or runs to the outside, then he would average 5 yards a carry. On top of that, he is easily a top receiving back in the league.
    The Raiders aren’t devastated by this. An easy early schedule.

3. eaglesnoles05 says: Sep 2, 2010 11:02 PM

SWEEEEEEEEEEET pick of mcfadden by me in most of my fantsy drafts so far…

4. alisgod says: Sep 2, 2010 11:14 PM

Mcfadden is about to turn into McDust with all those carries.

5. AbeFreshly says: Sep 2, 2010 11:23 PM

What’s the under/over on how many games McFragile will start before he gets hurt? I have a feeling that he’ll be hurt & out even before Bush is back.

6. alpod says: Sep 2, 2010 11:27 PM

Bring back Fargas!

7. crycal says: Sep 2, 2010 11:30 PM

Josh Br says:On top of that, he is easily a top receiving back in the league
    Josh you are a jackass! Ray Rice, Maurice Jones-Drew, LT…..those are just the ones i thought of in the 30 seconds it took me to right this that are better.
    such a dousche!

8. AutumnWind999 says: Sep 2, 2010 11:38 PM

Josh Br says:
    September 2, 2010 10:56 PM
    McFadden has had chances before. …
    ———————-
    Not really. Injuries aside, I think the only time McFadden had close to 20 touches in a game is when he went off for like 175 yards against KC his rookie year. Other than that, he’s only gotten about 10 touches per game for the most part (largely due to Cable’s infatuation with Fargas).
    However, Bush has looked like the better pro back the last couple of years including this preseason. They would’ve made a nice 1-2 combo (Bush-DMC), but it looks like that’ll have to wait till we’re at least a quarter of the way into the season.

9. Woe is Mets says: Sep 3, 2010 12:18 AM

so when Leinart fails (or doesn’t shine) in his limited chances, he’s a bum/bust/punk/malcontent. when Run-DMC does the same things, you’re “excited to see what McFadden can do with the chance to be The Man.” he’s been the man before. and he was atrocious. in fact, as of right now, all we know he’s good at is procreating.

10. PackAttackBackMan says: Sep 3, 2010 12:37 AM

Damn…i just picked this guy on my FF team tonight….

11. doe22us says: Sep 3, 2010 12:59 AM

eaglesnoles05 says:
    September 2, 2010 11:02 PM
    SWEEEEEEEEEEET pick of mcfadden by me in most of my fantsy drafts so far…
    I do hope you are joking.. McFaken cant run for ish and he is injured constantly. If you have hedged your bets on starting him, I believe you would be in for a long season.

12. doe22us says: Sep 3, 2010 1:00 AM

eaglesnoles05 says:
    September 2, 2010 11:02 PM
    SWEEEEEEEEEEET pick of mcfadden by me in most of my fantsy drafts so far…

13. Stupid Raiders Fan says: Sep 3, 2010 1:34 AM

First of all I hope Bush gets healthy soon. Second- GO DMac. Pick your holes and show them why you were taken 4th overall.

14. humbolt says: Sep 3, 2010 1:55 AM

McFadden won’t survive the season opener without suffering a significant injury. The Raiders’ offense is screwed. Could be worse than 2006.

15. Brohamma says: Sep 3, 2010 2:22 AM

Hey Gregg, check out my article about this Michael Bush injury.
    I’ve been tweeting Mort and Peter King about this since I wrote it; because of the possible long-term effects that can occur.
    I hope you enjoy the article and that people start to recognize an EXTREMELY important part to this story that seems to be being overlooked.

16. JSpicoli says: Sep 3, 2010 3:10 AM

McFadden has had plenty of chances and he goes down easier than (insert your BJ joke here), fumbles and gets injured.
    He has one redeeming quality, I call him “The Astronaut”. He operates well in space.
    Throw him the ball Hue.

17. JSpicoli says: Sep 3, 2010 3:16 AM

I would much rather have had Bennett get the Bennett fracture.

18. forthelove says: Sep 3, 2010 3:22 AM

AbeFreshly says:
    September 2, 2010 11:23 PM
    ————————————————
    AbeFreshly is the only one commenting that has actually seen McFadden play. He’ll be injured before Bush comes back and it will nag him all season.

19. Freebird2010 says: Sep 3, 2010 9:08 AM

Isn’t Justin Fargas back out on the free market? I wouldn’t be surprised if the Raiders try to bring him back after week 1.

20. Junior says: Sep 3, 2010 10:52 AM

I think everyone, especially the PFT writers, are missing the biggest thing in this article.
    Do you see what Jerry McDonald did there? He went out and did some research on a topic before writing an article. What a novel concept.

21. Raiders757 says: Sep 3, 2010 12:28 PM

This is going to hurt the Raiders rushing attack in a big way. McFadden just isn’t an every down back at the NFL level. He needs to be used in more of a Napoleon Kaufman type roll. I’m sure some of my fellow Raider fans remember him. He was a huge play maker and McFadden would benefit from similar use.
    Our boys really need Bush opening day against the Flaming Thumb Tacks. without him, the offense is going to be one dimensional. Hue needs to use the screen pass as alternate version of the running game.

22. Andy Reid's 3rd chin says: Sep 3, 2010 3:18 PM

PFT is like a pack of monkeys throwing turd balls from their cages.. some of it sticks, but most just slides down the wall.

23. Brohamma says: Sep 3, 2010 4:16 PM

@Raiders5757
    Scroll back about 6 posts and read my article about Bush’s injury. All my research regarding a Bennett’s Fracture was really eye-opening.
    Everyone here is missing a key issue of this whole thing. He fractured his left thumb. His dominant hand, the one he carries the ball in. Take a look at my article and then see what you think.
    I really hate to say it but this could be a career changing injury.

24. Raiderfankirk says: Sep 3, 2010 5:16 PM

@crycal : You are the idiot.Have you seen McFadden catch the ball.He easily could make any team as a wide out.

25. raider_niner_loco says: Sep 3, 2010 5:39 PM

time to put up or shut up for DMAC, im hoping for the best, expecting the worst, and hopefully we will use bennett to take sum pressure of DMAC if hes getting punished, but like posted earlier, i think we need to use alot of screen passes, check downs, and set up the run with passes. and we will be fine,
    whats the over/under for vince young int for game one?