Ochocinco buys dinner for 64 strangers in Indy

On November 14, the Bengals will play the Colts in Indianapolis.  On Wednesday, receiver Chad Ochocinco spread some advance goodwill by buying dinner at St. Elmo’s Steakhouse in Indy for 64 of his closest friends — whom he had never before met.

Ochocinco posted an open invitation on his Twitter page, and our pal Todd Wright of Sporting News Radio (who has a St. Elmo’s source) said that folks arrived in droves.

For those of you wondering, the magic number was 64 instead of 85 because the room in which the dinner occurred holds only 64 people.

Wright says that Ochocinco was very cordial and took great care of the employees.

St. Elmo’s, as you may recall, was the location of the alleged pilfering by Saints coach Sean Payton of a bottle of wine that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones supposedly had reserved during the Scouting Combine.

Ochocinco has promised additional dinner outings at road games, particularly in Atlanta on October 24 and New York on Thanksgiving.  (Why do we have a feeling that Chad will be showing up for that one dressed as a Mexican pilgrim?)

Regardless, Chad is a genuine character, a brilliant self-promoter, and apparently a nice guy.  He likely plunked down close to $10,000 last night in after-tax dollars and he gave 64 people he didn’t previously know an experience that they’ll likely never forget.

Permalink 90 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Cincinnati Bengals, Indianapolis Colts, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
90 Responses to “Ochocinco buys dinner for 64 strangers in Indy”
  1. devilalum says: Sep 2, 2010 5:53 AM

What a generous self-absorbed over-rated guy. Did he buy each of them an hour with some of his regulars as well?

2. brownsfn19 says: Sep 2, 2010 5:59 AM

Classy Ochocinco…This is why I like you as a football player and a person…this is why I enjoy your antics on and off of the field…because you are truly a good guy…

3. Larry David says: Sep 2, 2010 6:03 AM

Say what you want about Chad, but he does this stuff all the time. It’s pretty amazing actually.

4. blitzburgh1 says: Sep 2, 2010 6:09 AM

5. Bwa Ha Ha says: Sep 2, 2010 6:43 AM

I’m sure Chad reads this, so I’m going to suggest that he consider buying food for food banks for the homeless and disadvantaged. Do it quietly and without fanfare. It will make you feel good about yourself

6. Just JTO says: Sep 2, 2010 6:49 AM

I hate the Bengals … but love Ochocinco. He could play for my team any time. I don’t care if he is a self-promoter, he always give 110 percent and tries to have fun doing it.

7. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: Sep 2, 2010 6:53 AM

Florio,
    An easy way to sum up the significance of St. Elmo’s is to say, “it is the only good restaurant if the crap-hole city of Indy.” That about covers it. Thanks.

8. cincygrad says: Sep 2, 2010 6:56 AM

@Bwa Ha Ha — Chad went on a bus tour to feed the homeless and disadvantaged last January. He spent over a week on that tour.

9. 2MinutesHate says: Sep 2, 2010 7:06 AM

Hey Blitzburgh,
    I’ll remember to thank Pig Ben when my daughter comes home and tells me she was raped but she told him “no”. I guess if he isn’t charged, nothing ever happened either. I guess I’d just tell her to get over it, right?
    There are some good Steelers fans out there like Just JTO.

10. boknowsvt says: Sep 2, 2010 7:13 AM

blitzburgh1 says: September 2, 2010 6:09 AM
    *********************************************************
    Since when is it an NFL players responsibility to raise other peoples children?

11. enders says: Sep 2, 2010 7:14 AM

# blitzburgh1 says: September 2, 2010 6:09 AM
    ——————–
    Be sure to thank Ben when your kid rapes an ugly chick and comes back with “Ben does it”

12. Mean Leroy Brown says: Sep 2, 2010 7:18 AM

The second I read the tweet, I ran down to St. Elmo’s…
    I was #65…
    30 seconds earlier, or 5 pounds lighter and I’d have gotten some $90 steak.

13. enders says: Sep 2, 2010 7:20 AM

Seriously though, its about time someone covered this. Stuff like this was damn near a weekly thing for Chad last season. Taking the people of Cincy out to eat like he did in Indy or taking them all to the movies. He’s flew people into Cinci from around the country to go to a game and hang out with him. He flew people in after the season to ride a bus with him from Cinci to Miami and along the way they stopped to help people (I don’t remember specifically what they were doing, helping charities I believe). Even when the Bengals were on the road, he would take people from those cities out to eat.

14. Palmer09 says: Sep 2, 2010 7:25 AM

@ blitzBurgh1,
    Ok, we’ll be sure to blame all of our childrens’ antics on Chad. Now what happens if our children grow up raping people? Should we blame Rpaistburger? Strange, I don’t see you mentioning that….. you’re a prick. But I see why. Piss off.

15. I MURDER HOES/187403 says: Sep 2, 2010 7:32 AM

# Bwa Ha Ha says: September 2, 2010 6:43 AM

How do you know Chad DOES’NT do this? I’m pretty sure he does this and like you said, does it quietly and without fanfare. And since it won’t be on PFT you probably wont know about it.

16. Florioisanidiot1 says: Sep 2, 2010 7:37 AM

Chad’s been doing stuff like this forever. He’ll randomly tweet that he’s going to the movies and will pay for the first 100 to show up, takes fans on shopping sprees, etc…
    A shame more of it doesn’t get noticed by the media.

17. diva wide receiva says: Sep 2, 2010 7:40 AM

blitzburgh1
    what happens when your kid smokes pot like Holmes?
    what happens when he is arrested for pissing in an alley like Reed?
    What happens when he is arrested for sexual assault bc Big Ben does it?
    hope it never happens. Quit being a hater and acknowledge Ocho is not a bad guy, just loves attention.

18. DB26 says: Sep 2, 2010 7:42 AM

@Just JTO:
    Your not alone. I hate the Steelers & am a life long Browns fan. But I love Hines Ward. He is the poster boy for how to play football & love every second of it without once staying away from a football field for money. I would love to see him in a Browns uniform!
    Nice job Chad Johnson. I do though, agree with an above poster. Go out in a limo & pick up as many beggars as you can, pick up their families, take them to dinner & listen to their story. Most of them have worked their ass off all their lives or are US Military veterans. Hell, that would make for an interesting TV series too. See, I just made you lots of money. Call me, I will set it up!

19. Cubano says: Sep 2, 2010 7:45 AM

Stay classy Chad, stay classy!

20. FloriosHairHat says: Sep 2, 2010 7:45 AM

He’ll be piss-broke two years after football… what a clown.

21. Cougar Hunter says: Sep 2, 2010 7:56 AM

LMAO off at people who can’t get over the fact that Chad is just a nice guy who enjoys being around people.

22. YOOPERBILL says: Sep 2, 2010 7:57 AM

Whats he doing,buying new fans? didnt John Gotti do about the same thing to stay in the spotlight and make people like him.

23. RedsDouche says: Sep 2, 2010 7:58 AM

Yeah Chad does this A LOT for folks in Cincy/NKY. I saw him at the movies once with his girl at the time and he was standing in line asking everyone what movie they were seeing and he bought all of their tickets. Class act. He’s always willing to help. It’s about time he gets some recognition.

24. wrekOgnize says: Sep 2, 2010 8:01 AM

This is news? He does this kind of stuff all the time.

25. Ravenator says: Sep 2, 2010 8:02 AM

HAHAHA
    I hate the bungals but I have always secretly had a place in my heart for you Ochocinco

26. Zukny says: Sep 2, 2010 8:04 AM

The man is a great role model. Straight up! This guy might not do things the (classy) way, But he is clearly a great guy.
    I wish more athletes were like him.

27. enders says: Sep 2, 2010 8:09 AM

# FloriosHairHat says: September 2, 2010 7:45 AM
    He’ll be piss-broke two years after football… what a clown.
    ————–
    You’re calling him a clown for doing nice things for people? Not just Bengal fans, but all NFL fans.
    Are you stupid?

28. PhillyHouse says: Sep 2, 2010 8:11 AM

Blitzburgh=hypocrite

29. damnitall says: Sep 2, 2010 8:11 AM

@Bwa Ha Ha says:
    September 2, 2010 6:43 AM
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    If he does it quietly and without fanfare, how would you know if he’s not already doing this?

30. shea801 says: Sep 2, 2010 8:26 AM

# blitzburgh1 says: September 2, 2010 6:09 AM
    _____________________________________
    As long as you remember to thank him everytime your kid does something really well on the field and says “Chad does it”
    Chad’s not your little tykes father, so stop blaming him when the lil’ fella messes up if you’re not gonna give him credit when junior does well.

31. loumann says: Sep 2, 2010 8:36 AM

What did Sinatra, Jack Nicolson, Arnie Palmer, Sandy Kofax, Bobby Hull, Sammy Davis Jr, Jackie Robinson and more have IN COMMON???
    They all had great class and huge followings and NEVER had to buy anyone a dinner.
    Ochonada is a clown!

32. PSURavens says: Sep 2, 2010 8:40 AM

Being a Ravens fan, Ochocinco has been the only player in the AFC North that I have liked. Like somebody mentioned above he is a breath of fresh air in a league that is starting to turn into the No Fun League.

33. Easy Ed says: Sep 2, 2010 8:42 AM

Chad is a shameless, ego-driven self-promoter…but totally refreshing.
    Bwa Ha Ha: You’re right…he should give back in meaningful ways. The problem is you have no idea what Ochocinco’s charitable causes are, do you?

34. SlidingHorn says: Sep 2, 2010 8:43 AM

Count me in as another who hates the Bengals, but has love for Chad…he rubs a lot of folks the wrong way, but when you really pay attention, he’s simply having fun. He doesn’t get into any real trouble, and he’s always doing things like this (reported on PFT or not) for people.
    Sure…he loves him some him. So what? He uses his name and brand to help a lot of good causes, so it’s not “all about Ochocinco, all the time” as some people are making him out to be.

35. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Sep 2, 2010 8:44 AM

@JTO says: September 2, 2010 6:49 AM
    “I’m a life-long Steelers fan and I’ve always had a place in my heart for Ochocinco. I have always seen him as a breath of fresh air in a league that has to many hot air players overseen by too many stuffed shirts.”
    As a Bengals fan, I must admit that I’d love to have Hines Ward on my team for similar reasons.
    Good luck this year, Sir.

36. BoltsFan says: Sep 2, 2010 9:00 AM

Before some of you fall all over yourselves gushing about what a great character this name-changing buffoon is, I seem to remember he recently promised some great grand prize (a car, I think) to a number of contestants in the midwest only to renege on that promise when the bill came due.
    He’s a glory hound that is essentially incapable of bringing glory to himself on the football field. So he throws thousands of dollars around like it came from his own pocket. It actually came from the pocket of the Bengal’s owner.

37. ladybucs&steelersnut says: Sep 2, 2010 9:01 AM

I have always found this guy to be a breath of fresh air in the NFL. He’s extremely talented, backs it up, and damn the fines, he’s determined to have FUN. Haters gonna hate, but I don’t think Ochoconco gives a rat’s behind about them – & why should he? Being a Steelers fan, I can’t wish his team too much success, but I really do wish him all the best – both on the field & off.

38. boysrollsmokespole says: Sep 2, 2010 9:02 AM

@blitzburg1
    Thats a reach. No kid would never say something like that. Blame their sibling, parent or friend sure but your drama post, that was just a stupid.

39. Los Gigantes says: Sep 2, 2010 9:03 AM

It’s funny that anyone can really find anything bad to say about him… I guess there are just so many haters out there… He’s not only a great football player he’s an entertainer… He does the right thing on and off the field… When he decideds to celebrate a touchdown for the fans entertainment He’s paying atleast $15,000.00 for it… He never complains… just pays it and moves on… He doesn’t cause problems for his team or get into trouble with the law…
    Last year, I distinctly remember him getting a sponsor to buy tickets so there wasn’t a balckout and handing them out before the game personally… In a world where you’re lucky to get an athlete to pay the taxes on their multimillion dollar contracts it’s refreshing to see someone who’s not afraid to open his wallet to do the right thing by his fans and those who might not even like or know him…

40. Roxtar10 says: Sep 2, 2010 9:14 AM

Thank you, again, Ocho!
    Restoring some faith in this league of thugs and entitled pieces of crap. Love what he does on the field and great to hear some of the stories as to what he does off the field as well. There are some good class-act stories around the league, but they tend to get over-shadowed by the guys trying to cover up steroid use or beating on their wives or whining about contract money.
    Already looking forward to the first touchdown dance!

41. FinFan68 says: Sep 2, 2010 9:18 AM

I absolutely cannot stand his antics and blatant disregard of league rules…but Chad is a generous guy and stories like this are good for the NFL. He may be a drama queen and a shameless self promoter but things like this make it hard to dislike him.

42. enders says: Sep 2, 2010 9:24 AM

# BoltsFan says: September 2, 2010 9:00 AM
    —————-
    wat
    I guess the money you throw around isn’t really yours either. It actually came from your boss.

43. johnwhodey says: Sep 2, 2010 9:27 AM

He did this at every away game last season, get with it.

44. Meldog says: Sep 2, 2010 9:32 AM

He’s not a bad guy and he certainly is funny……but he goes too far sometimes too. Like the time he pretended to have a neck injury in Buffalo right after Kevin Everett broke his neck.

45. Jackson says: Sep 2, 2010 9:33 AM

he’s a good dude. period. he’s great for the NFL.

46. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Sep 2, 2010 9:41 AM

@blitzburgh1 says: September 2, 2010 6:09 AM
    “Now if he could only follow the league rules when he’s on the field. Remember to thank him when your kid break your rules and then come back with “Chad does it”.”
    When your kid walks around a bar with his dick hanging out, behaving like a buzzard flying over a carcass, he’ll come to you and say “Ben does it!”
    When your kid beats his wife, he’ll come to you and say “Rodney does it!”
    When your kids gets drunk and takes on a paper towel machine in a bar, he’ll come to you and say “Jeff does it!”
    You are the biggest dumbass of all Steelers fans here, and that’s saying a lot.

47. enders says: Sep 2, 2010 10:01 AM

# Meldog says: September 2, 2010 9:32 AM
    ———————–
    Pretended? What makes you think he was pretending?

48. Bdrunk says: Sep 2, 2010 10:03 AM

Good on Chad.
    Does he live in the Indy area? Or did he just check the schedule and pick what city he wanted to buy dinner for? Crazy Twitter junkies and their randomness.

49. XLI says: Sep 2, 2010 10:06 AM

Actually, I believe he stuck a Rookie(s) with the Tab.
    Word was circulating around Indy early yesterday that he was doing that and many people (mostly local Colts fans) took advantage at what is easily one of the better Steak Houses in the State. However, many people said he was leaving the Bill with a Rookie or Rookies.

50. KoaMisiFan says: Sep 2, 2010 10:07 AM

I’d probably have thought a lot more good about the guy if he bought those dinners for homeless people.

51. Steeler Fan in Germantown says: Sep 2, 2010 10:10 AM

I feel the same as FinFan68. On the field he is shameless, an attention hog and all of those things FF68 said. I’m a Steeler fan, have been for years, and I get disgusted with anyone, Steelers included, that act a fool. They’re making millions of bucks and act like fools when the simply catch a pass, or score a touchdown. It’s at times like that that I wish Lambert or Butkus were back in the NFL to “tie a knot in their ass”.
    Having said all that, I can’t stand Ocho on the field, but I’ll agree you really have to admire the man off the field for what he does for folks. I would bet anything that he does NONE of it for publicity, but does it just because he can. That’s extremely admirable.
    If I were Ocho and I wanted to be nice to some folks (I’ve always wanted to do this myself), I’d go spend a day in a large airport (Chicago, NY, Atlanta) and walk around the restaurants looking for US Soldiers / Sailors / Marines / Airmen having lunch or dinner, and pick up their tabs. He might have even done that by now, but Ocho if you’re reading this and haven’t done this yet, I think it would be wonderful.
    Off the field…….nice guy. On the field, I hope you and TO have terrible years…..that’s the Steeler fan in me.

52. Marcinik07 says: Sep 2, 2010 10:16 AM

You know fat Rex must of sneaked in there.

53. pubobby2004 says: Sep 2, 2010 10:28 AM

@bdrunk
    they are in Indy to play the colts tonight…
    even if he weren’t Indy is only an 1.5 hour drive from Cincy…

54. pubobby2004 says: Sep 2, 2010 10:30 AM

why does everyone want him to buy dinner for homeless people? they had just as good a chance to be one of the 64 as anyone else… the ad was broadcast on the radio which plays outside all around downtown. actually, they had a better chance at attending since the rest of us were at work at 4pm when the invite went out.

55. steelersmichele says: Sep 2, 2010 10:33 AM

He can call my guys “girls” anytime as long as he keeps doing nice things for people. Maybe, just maybe, he will rub off of T.O.

56. licavoli says: Sep 2, 2010 10:35 AM

thats cool. i always say to myself when he gets his stupid fines that, man alot of people could use that money but its nice to see he balances out his wastefulness with some generosity.

57. steveinohio says: Sep 2, 2010 10:39 AM

Plitzburghnumbnutz said, “thank him when your kid break your rules.”
    First off, how are you going to spin something nice Chad did into, ‘it’s his fault your kids won’t do as they are told.’ You should talk to your kids. Tell your son to see you when his shift is over at the meth lab or carival. Let your daughter know you have something important to say when she gets down off the pole or finishes with her client, “John.” Sit them down in your double wide, and tell them to “do the right thing.” It’s called being a parent. As soon as you make parole you should try it.

58. Poopstain_Chuck says: Sep 2, 2010 10:44 AM

I used to hate Chad until I watched him on Hard Knocks last year. The guy is a cool down to earth guy who doesn’t do drugs and I don’t think he really drinks alcohol either. It’s refreshing to see a guy that isn’t thuggish and is cool with the common fan.

59. phuckphilly says: Sep 2, 2010 11:04 AM

@Just JTO
    @DB26
    Nice posts guys. I agree with the both of you 10 fold.
    That’s all. I just wanted to give credit where credit is due.

60. zbhbatman says: Sep 2, 2010 11:04 AM

I was at this dinner and it was no antic, He seriously spent about $7,000 last night. I don’t make much money and never will ever be able to go to a place like St Elmo’s on my own. It was seriously one of the best nights of my girlfriends and I’s life. Don’t diss Ocho until you really get to see his generosity. He was amazing, and I thank him from the bottom of my heart

61. emdub52 says: Sep 2, 2010 11:11 AM

This is not new news. I met Chad in Oakland last year at Scott’s when the Bengals traveled to Bay Area for a game.
    He was absolutly one of the coolest pro athletes I have ever been around. You could ask him questions and joke around. And he would be honest and mess around right back.
    He treated us to an amazing lunch and I got to take a picture with him before it was all over.
    It’s things like this that will take this man far into his career. And even when he stops playing football, he’ll still be someone everyone wants to be around.
    Thank you Chad.

62. tk1966 says: Sep 2, 2010 11:12 AM

I think Florio hit the nail on the head with the “self-promotion” comment – its one thing if you are in a restaurant and pay for someones dinner quietly (or even pay for the entire room – quietly). Its another to tweet about it, invite people to come out for the event, etc. Don’t be too impressed with a $10,00 tab. He makes a reported $3.55 million per year (not counting endorsements); thats .28% of his salary. (That like $200 to the average Joe making around $75k per year.)

63. Sandra Lee's Cans says: Sep 2, 2010 11:15 AM

My Easy Mac was cold.

64. clintcooper says: Sep 2, 2010 11:28 AM

Chad was robbed of the title on Dancing with the Stars. Robbed I say!

65. realitypolice says: Sep 2, 2010 11:30 AM

boknowsvt says:
    September 2, 2010 7:13 AM
    blitzburgh1 says: September 2, 2010 6:09 AM
    ***************** ******************** ********************
    Since when is it an NFL players responsibility to raise other peoples children?
    ===============================
    Bravo- awesome response.
    If you’re kid is out there breaking rules because Chad OchoCinco has funny touchdown celebrations, that’s a you problem.
    If you’re children are using athletes as role models, it’s because they grew up seeing their daddy wearing his stupid jersey and screaming at the TV and worshipping the players on the teams he roots for.
    Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, fanboy. Go look in the mirror.

66. Leto_II says: Sep 2, 2010 11:43 AM

Dear Haters,
    There’s nothing wrong with spending 10K frivolously and showing off how rich you are.
    Sincerely,
    Antoine Walker, MC Hammer, et al.

67. texasPHINSfan says: Sep 2, 2010 11:48 AM

and this is one of the many reasons i like chad. good for him! i look forward to watching him play soccer, too

68. Ninerfan#81 says: Sep 2, 2010 11:53 AM

This just reminds me why Chad has been my favorite player for the past 5+ years no matter all the negative pub he gets. He is the only NFL player that I would pay the little money I have to hang out with. Cincy games are going to be electric this year thanks to TO and Ocho. If Chad does read this I really hope he and TO are already planning some great celebrations. Favorite 2 players in the NFL on one team is going to be awesome to watch!!

69. jandrew121 says: Sep 2, 2010 12:11 PM

I don’t care why, but he did. maybe these people will do something nice for someone else.That is how it works. For those idiots criticizing. What have you done for anyone other than yourself in the last week or so. If you are not doing anything then SHUT UP. Personally, I donate my time and what little money I have to those less fortunate then me. I make less than 25,000 a year and I could complain. I say that I am more blessed than others and people like Chad,Ray Lewis, T.O. Lebron, Drew Brees , and others get it. Some of you don’t. For those that can seperate the act from the person. My hat is off to you and God Bless you. I am still a Ravens fan and Chad will go down.

70. Sam says: Sep 2, 2010 12:20 PM

People are always gunna hate. You all are just mad you weren’t in that resturaunt. Listen most complete player in the nfl he is what should be. And for those of you who hate his on field antics let me refer you to another player of the same positon who has no class. Michael crabtree getting paid millions to play after missing half a season and now milks a neck injury vecause he hates preseason that’s conduct detrimental to the team, however when chad busts out the sombrero after scoring there like”classless fool”. How about trying this” I wish my defense would stop this guy so he doesn’t keep making US look like fools.” Its his position it is the second most glorious position in all of football behind the quarterback. And now speaking as a bills fan I would love to have chad johnson in my city he doesn’t care who you are he still acknowledes you as an equal as long as you treat him the same way unlike mr. Lynch who thinks above all of us here in buffalo. Chad don’t listen to the haters even though I know you won’t anyways I have been a fan of yours since OSU days so keep it up man and I wish there were more guys like you

71. snarkygurl says: Sep 2, 2010 12:36 PM

Does anyone realize that when Ocho gets fined he donates the same amount to a charity? What a shame those stories don’t get reported on more often! I’m sure there are other players that do the same. Eli Manning for example…Not a Gints fan (or Bungles), but the guy does good stuff…

72. Bdrunk says: Sep 2, 2010 12:39 PM

pubobby2004 says:
    September 2, 2010 10:28 AM
    @bdrunk
    they are in Indy to play the colts tonight…
    even if he weren’t Indy is only an 1.5 hour drive from Cincy…
    —————–
    Ah ok, that makes more sense tyvm.

73. klungemonger says: Sep 2, 2010 12:55 PM

loumann says:
    September 2, 2010 8:36 AM
    Ochonada is a clown!
    ————————————————–
    Sinatra and Nicholson??? Universally loved and classy? I’m sure the prostitutes ol’ Jack had his way with then refused to pay, then beat up, would agree with you. Sinatra was a Mafia-sponsored, notorious, talentless a-hole and thug who was feared by those around him, not respected.
    Nobody HAS to buy dinner for anyone, and those guys didn’t because they are cheap, self-centered jerks who try to get away not paying for their own stuff, let alone other peoples.
    Ocho buys dinners and things for people because he LIKES to and he has the means.
    He may be a clown, but what’s wrong with that…he’s trying to make some people happy and get some laughs, that’s what clowns do.

74. jayy says: Sep 2, 2010 12:59 PM

good for ochoo thats whats up.. and good for PFT too bec u guys give credit where its deserved, you had your fair share of bashing as did alot of people but u said hes a nice guy n genuine and gave credit where it was needed..thats a good website.. i remember seeing credit on haynesworth and rogers too so this site def gets points

75. jayy says: Sep 2, 2010 1:08 PM

oh yeah btw for everyone…. all chads celebration fines go 2 charity cases and he challenges the nfl to match it..lol.. his hes got a tremendous ego but what can u ask for he produces every yr around the teams success gives u more than 100 and is a beast how can anyone really hate on someone like him..unless u hate attention whores but still u gotta b hatin

76. CincyAllDaWay says: Sep 2, 2010 1:58 PM

Chad is a class act. Very different from the rapist in PA. If that had been Ben, he would have ordered food for everyone, and lots of drinks for all of the women in the room. Then he would have proceeded to get blasted, walk around to all of the tables with his junk hanging out, then run out the back door without paying the check. Yeah he’s top shelf alright. FU TO ALL THE PUSSBURG HATERS! Chad’s a class act and Ben is a pimple on the ass of society!

77. Florioisanidiot1 says: Sep 2, 2010 2:28 PM

licavoli says:
    September 2, 2010 10:35 AM
    ————–
    Player fines go to a charity of the players choosing, and don’t think chad doesn’t know that.

78. truegrinder80 says: Sep 2, 2010 2:30 PM

Outstanding Restaurant in a GREAT CITY, one of my favorite NFL road trips. Too bad Ochocinco SUCKS on the field and will be homeless after his career is over.

79. Child Please! says: Sep 2, 2010 3:00 PM

I’ve been there. Great food and wine. I think I’ll grill up my own steak for dinner tonight. MMMmmmmm…steaaaaaakkkk.

80. RavensChick says: Sep 2, 2010 3:57 PM

I concur with most of the comments here. I love Ochocinco, both on and off the field.
    You can tell that he actually loves the game of football. He plays hard, every play and takes the hits that come with the WR position. But, unlike most NFL players, Chad has FUN playing the game and it shows. I love watching his TD “celebrations”! They are funny and creative. Too bad the No Fun League felt differently.
    Chad seems like one of the few athletes that are grateful for what they have earned and feel compelled to share it with others. For a self-centered guy, that sounds pretty selfless to me. He also sounds like he’s a down-to-earth guy, again, unlike so many NFL players.
    I state all of this as a diehard Ravens fan. I wish nothing but loses for the Bengals, but I’m always cheering for Chad!

81. haley (: says: Sep 2, 2010 4:07 PM

whoaa !
    why does everyone have to hate on ochocinco for doin’ something nicee ?
    your prolly just mad cause’ he didnt buy you dinner..

82. mobuccsfan says: Sep 2, 2010 4:14 PM

I really am ready for the season to just start! That being said, I have always liked Chad “Ochocinco” Johnson and I think he is great for the game. The NFL should stop being the No Fun League.
    At least this guys isn’t constantly in the news for illegal/criminal activity and as other posters said, he knows the money goes to charity and does lots of charitable work all the time. These players don’t have to do a damn thing with their money but many of them do and those players are the ones I really enjoy and appreciate even more.
    Even once their talent might slowly disappear or even if they weren’t ever a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer, but a solid player for his respective team or in the league for many years. I think this is great what he did. Being a Bucs fan, this reminds me of two of the better players in their history, Derrick Brooks and Warrick Dunn.
    As some posters said, it’s not up to athletes, politicians, musicians, actors/actresses, etc, to be role models but at the same time, it is nice to see the ones setting good examples for not just children but the general population. People could learn a thing or two from these kinds of people and actions. Just saying.

83. SpartaChris says: Sep 2, 2010 7:48 PM

I’ll chime in with the others who don’t get the Chad hate. The guy reaches out to the fans, something most players in the league don’t do.
    And then to criticize because he didn’t give the money to the homeless- You ignore all the other stuff he does for charity, such as racing the friggin horse, the Degree deodorant “Feed the Children” campaign, and don’t forget this: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Chad-Ochocinco-makes-one-young-fan-s-dream-come-?urn=nfl-244600
    To say he isn’t doing enough when he’s doing more than most is ludicrous.
    Then again, some people will always find a reason to criticize..

84. ali15othman says: Sep 2, 2010 11:27 PM

@tk1966 says:
    September 2, 2010 11:12 AM
    ———————
    So you’d be willing to spend $200 on a person(s) you’ve never met? Child, please. Maybe he was self promoting, but 10K is 10K no matter which way you spin it and, as you read above, some of the people who went or have met him say he’s a genuinely nice guy. AGain, as Bengals fans have pointed out he’s done this sort of thing for years and years and usually on a weekly basis.
    He knows he’s been blessed by getting paid millions to do something that he loves and he wants to share with the community. I’ve never seen so many people sit here and try to come up with reasons against it. Even if he did it for himself, he did something nice for other people. How is that not enough?
    Spin it anyway you like, but he ADVERTISED on twitter to get people in there cuz I’m willing to bet at 4 o’clock on a weekday most people aren’t going to the most expensive restaurant in the city.
    And the funny thing is, they don’t mention the tip he left which, knowing Chad, he wasn’t going to take away from the people who worked hard right then and there and tipped a fair amount.
    Again, maybe it feels like nothing to him and maybe it is like $200 to any one of us…But I’m willing to bet that most of us wouldn’t grab just 4 or 5 random people and spend $200 on them all in one sitting. Get over yourself and think of the good he’s doing, not try to make up some BS reason as to why he’s doing it.
    Man, Child Please.

85. tk1966 says: Sep 3, 2010 11:19 AM

Yes, I would be willing and have spent $200 (and much, much more) on someone I never met. Its called giving to charity and I donate on a regular basis. And I don’t even brag about it. I don’t self promote about it. Noone knows about it. I don’t need publicity about it to make me feel good. And while we are talking about “spin”, when I donate to charity, it for worthy causes and people in need – not just an open invite to absolutely anyone (in need or not) to enjoy a meal on my dime. Spin that

86. nmanx62 says: Sep 3, 2010 6:42 PM

And Chad did NOT boast about the dinner, he did NOT call up the media to say “Look at what I just did.” He put out a few tweets, asking for seating capacity of StElmo’s, then inviting the first 64 fans to join him. THE MEDIA picked up the news when people started talking about the tweets, then I am sure the INDY sports media jocks and photogs were camped outside the restaurant waiting for that dinner to be over. Chad may be an attention hound, but he only needs to create a spark. Everyone else is fully capable of fanning the flames and fueling the fire!

87. PantherParty says: Sep 4, 2010 4:51 AM

Ochocinco is mucho sweet. Yea the guy doesn’t abide by “league rules” completely but he isn’t in jail or gracing the police blotter with a mouth full of gold either. The game and the people involved in the league are becoming more and more available to the public…Ochocinco is just ahead of the curve. However, I hope that he has no catches against the Panthers in Charlotte. Oh Ocho you can still buy me dinner good luck in the North.

88. doe22us says: Sep 5, 2010 3:10 PM

In this world the will always be haters. Haters will and always will hate, maybe they should have a convention the player haters ball where you would see disgruntled miserable looking folks all holed up together, pathethic fools. How can you not see any good in what Chad Johnson aka OchoCincho did and continues to do.

89. Pervy *Harvin says: Sep 5, 2010 3:46 PM

Isn’t that such a feel good story?

90. YBM says: Sep 5, 2010 9:35 PM

Chad is creating a lot of Goodwill for his life after football. I wouldn’t be surprised that he becomes an NFL analyst at ESPN or even better Monday Night Football when his career is over. He’s a great role model for those in his generation and young kids. Don’t be surprised that more #85 ochocinco jersey’s aren’t sold. I applaud his use of technology to build the next phase of his post football career. Furthermore as a football player, he get’s the job done. As an old school guy from the 70’s, I like Chad and wish him the best.