Rex Ryan’s trash talk to the media isn’t half as fun as the real stuff on the field.
Last night’s Hard Knocks showed Ryan berating Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall after a late hit on LaDainian Tomlinson after a long run. Ryan tells Hall he should have made the play around the line of scrimmage.
“You aren’t gonna tackle anybody!” Ryan said. “That’s why my brother got rid of your ass!”
(Rob Ryan was Hall’s defensive coordinator in Oakland.)
That was my favorite moment in the best Hard Knocks episode yet, but here are a few more lessons learned.
1. Beyond the bluster, the Jets coaching staff revealed serious concerns about the team. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said the offense was lacking confidence. The quarterback position lacked vocal leadership. Multiple coaches bemoaned the lack of overall leadership on the team.
2. Ryan made a big speech about leadership that’s transcribed here. He killed the team for being “jackasses” when members of the secondary ate cheeseburgers on the field at practice.
3. What’s up with Jason Taylor always showing up late? It’s sorta funny, but that has to start annoying the coaches after a while.
4. If it wasn’t obvious already, Santonio Holmes is a far superior
player to Braylon Edwards. The Jets coaching staff couldn’t be more
giddy about Holmes. At one point, Ryan says he might be the best player
on the field. He’ll be the number one wideout when he gets off suspension.
5. When the Jets cut Laveranues Coles, Ryan strongly indicated they may
bring him back after Week One. It’s hard to tell if that was just Ryan
feeling guilty or not. Ryan and the staff had a strong affection for
6. The team is worried about left guard Matt Slauson or Vladimir
Ducasse getting Mark Sanchez killed. “The kid has got to be better than
that s***” Ryan says about Ducasse during the preseason game.
7. There’s no chance Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum was acting when he acted befuddled regarding Tim Cowlishaw’s report, as we’ve seen suggested. You think he could act that well, in multiple settings, and get others to play along? Please.
The episode showed without a doubt the Jets were never close to signing Revis last week and any report (Cowlishaw wasn’t alone) suggesting otherwise was flat out wrong. It happens.