Ed Reed will miss the first six weeks of the season

The Steelers will be without their best offensive player for the first four weeks of the season, so it’s only fair their AFC North rivals will be without their best defensive player for the first six weeks.

NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora reports Ed Reed will be placed on the reserve/PUP list, knocking him out for the first six weeks of the season.  The Ravens don’t have a bye until Week Eight.

The news comes as something of a surprise after recent reports that Reed wanted to get back on the field soon.  But the Ravens will play it safe, aiming for their All Pro safety to be fully healthy for the stretch run.  Tom Zbikowski should take Reed’s spot in the starting lineup.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Ed Reed will miss the first six weeks of the season”
  1. ShaneG says: Sep 3, 2010 8:19 PM

Really, the Steelers?

2. habibfromnewdehli says: Sep 3, 2010 8:24 PM

Well, I can’t say they need him in Week 1. The Jets aren’t going to throw. But Week 2… the Bengals, they are gonna miss Reed a lot. And perhaps again in Week 6 when they play the Patriots.
    This year is all about if their offense can score touchdowns instead of field goals anyway. We’ll see!

3. steelers rule says: Sep 3, 2010 8:25 PM

Balt has Jets, Bengals.Pitt, Pats on road with Clowns and denver at home without Reed. 2-4 or 3-3 possible!

4. NYMets says: Sep 3, 2010 8:26 PM

The Jets were going to beat them in week one anyway even without Revis.

5. Zach says: Sep 3, 2010 8:31 PM

Ok Raven fans, tell us how Tom Z will step in and there’ll be no dropoff.

6. Mumakata says: Sep 3, 2010 8:37 PM

“Tom Zbikowski should take Reed’s spot in the starting lineup. ”
    At least until Ray Ray gets a little loose in the wrist and stabs him. Too bad about Reed, though.

7. Marcinik07 says: Sep 3, 2010 8:39 PM

Smart move by the Ravens. They are deep at the safety position and should reserve him for the stretch.

8. Marcinik07 says: Sep 3, 2010 8:41 PM

9. Marcinik07 says: Sep 3, 2010 8:42 PM

10. rjgreen3 says: Sep 3, 2010 8:43 PM

this is not good news for us………..

11. Deb says: Sep 3, 2010 8:48 PM

No, it is not fair for Ed Reed to be injured and miss six weeks of the season because Ben’s been suspended. And I hate to hear it. Been working overtime in the preseason and haven’t had a chance to see the Ravens play yet. Knew Reed wasn’t 100 percent but thought he was doing much better. Hope at least that this time off will let him come back at full strength. He’s a great talent, and I enjoy watching him … well, except when he’s playing us :)

12. BuckeyeBengal says: Sep 3, 2010 8:53 PM

Cue the “experts” to start jumping off the Baltimore Bandwagon. This secondary has more holes in it than an old wooden ship.

13. MSWRavens says: Sep 3, 2010 8:57 PM

I love me some Ed Reed. But Ravens best defender? Child, please! No doubt we’re a better team with #20…so get healthy, be well & look forward to your return in week 7!

14. RAVNATION says: Sep 3, 2010 9:01 PM

Good call by the front office.
    On the flip side- sources are saying that Ben privately called Godell a ‘cheesed#k’ after todays meeting. Way to stay classy Pitt.

15. 7370355q$ says: Sep 3, 2010 9:16 PM

@Zach
    My answer to your inquiry would be that due to the lack of a shutdown corner in the ravens secondary, with tom zbikowski being a disciplined safety and keeping to his assignments he won’t leave his corners out to dry, like reed has more times than you’ll ever realize. **NOTICE: I am not saying Zbikowski is a better player than Reed, I am simply saying that he is a quality fill in who fits the Ravens defensive system very well.** Thank you.

16. Ravenator says: Sep 3, 2010 9:17 PM

It does not matter…
    Ravens have Zibby and a fellow named NAKI-SAN!
    I can’t wait for you haters to comment how we’ll be 2-4 at best now and yet we’ll be entering week 6 with a 5-1 or 6-0 record…
    See ya in Dallas NFC haters!

17. Marcinik07 says: Sep 3, 2010 9:22 PM

We are obviously a much more dangerous team with Reed in, but Zbikowski is a very solid player. He had 2 picks in his 4 starts last year, one was against Rodgers. He is also a big hitter in football and in boxing. Watch his fight on youtube. Don’t sleep on him.

18. Jungle Juice says: Sep 3, 2010 9:26 PM

Now if the Bengals pick up Houshmandzadeh Los Tres Amigos are going to have a Fiesta Royale

19. Marcinik07 says: Sep 3, 2010 9:27 PM

Is this site lagging for anyone else?

20. Blackbeard says: Sep 3, 2010 9:42 PM

Raiders fan here. Zbikowski has played well. Ed Reed is one of the best safties in the game, but if I were the Ravens I would be more worried about my cornerbacks.

21. metalman1320 says: Sep 3, 2010 9:51 PM

I don’t see it as an issue. They’ve been preparing for this all preseason. Yeah, he’s good to have but he takes a lot of chances that don’t pan out. The Ravens know they’ll have to be on the high side of more than few shootout’s this year. They’ll be just fine……

22. 7370355q$ says: Sep 3, 2010 10:08 PM

@BlackBeard
    Ravens recently traded for a talented young corner in Josh Wilson, and Lardarius Webb (The best young player nobody has heard of) and Fabian Washington are both on their way back.

23. Terrell Blowens says: Sep 3, 2010 10:09 PM

It’s not “only fair” that the Ravens lose Reed, Gregg. It’s Roethlisberger’s own fault that he’s out for 4 games (should’ve stayed at 6).

24. Marcinik07 says: Sep 3, 2010 10:11 PM

With Fabian Washington and Lardarius Webb back, we are set. Put Wilson in the nickel. We are in better shape in the secondary than last year, and last year we finished 8th against the pass, so say what you want.

25. PUR-D33 says: Sep 3, 2010 10:21 PM

Not a fan of the Ravens by any means but dude can’t come back too soon. That secondary needs a leader like Reed. Like the linebackers being without Ray Lewis. A solid proven veteran like that makes a huge difference in the production of the players around him.

26. Marcinik07 says: Sep 3, 2010 10:57 PM

Well, Florio has no life and is pretty easy to hate.

27. 100 no's and 1 yes still mean yes says: Sep 3, 2010 11:14 PM

This story is atleast 6 weeks old report something new and the cbs play better with Tom z in anywu bc he doesn’t leave them out to dry and he is where he is supposed to be where as Ed is all over the feikd but everyone forgets that when he makes a couple game-changing plays

28. Danwhitmer says: Sep 4, 2010 12:06 AM

Last time I checked the Ravens made it to the Playoffs and won on the road without Reed last year. Zibby will play very well. He has looked great in training camp, He has come back in better shape than last season, and is more comfortable in the starting line up. He had great stats last year and will continue to play well.
    Reed brings big play ability to the table. But the way he does it is by gambling alot of the time. Zibby brings more of a disiplined style of play to the team. I think Zibby will be fine, different styles but I think it will be the same result.

29. Ray Ray is soft says: Sep 4, 2010 12:09 AM

I hate the Ravens ALOT!! But Ozzie has built this team and it has talent. It’s the coaches that has to put then in the right place against premier teams…right now I see a 2-4 record heading into the bye. When I say premier I mean good teams….hell even when you think about it. It’s possible for an 0-6 start. Cleveland looking better on offense and Denver I’m sure will play better then last year.

30. Blackn'Gold says: Sep 4, 2010 12:25 AM

I don’t know why the Steelers were injected into this story. Ed Reed had hip surgery which is a major surgical procedure. I’m skeptical that Ed Reed can return to his previous form after hip surgery. I suspect that this will be Ed’s last season.
    Ed Reed has been a great player who is destined for the Hall of Fame.
    GO STEELERS!

31. Ray Ray is soft says: Sep 4, 2010 12:25 AM

32. Laxer37 says: Sep 4, 2010 12:34 AM

I heard if Zibikowski goes down Flacco’s unibrow would start at safety.
    Chin up Raven fan, at least the rest of the secondary is healthy.
    Oh, and you can also hang your hat on the fact that Ray Lewis hasn’t been involved in the death of another human being in years!

33. TheBottomLine says: Sep 4, 2010 1:47 AM

# Marcinik07 says: September 3, 2010 9:27 PM
    Is this site lagging for anyone else?
    —————————————
    face palm…gtfo rookie!

34. SKINSFANTOM says: Sep 4, 2010 7:37 AM

so much for the vaunted raven D, reeds out, RAY IS OLD. HAIL!!!

35. ccoolahan14 says: Sep 4, 2010 8:19 AM

The funny thing is he’ll STILL probably finish with more INTs than Polamalu (most overrated player in the league). Remember when everyone said Polamalu was the best safety in the league two years ago and that he was going to win Defensive Player of the year for the first time in his life because he had 8 INTs after 11 games and Reed had 1? HAHAHAH Reed got EIGHT in his last FIVE games while Polamalu completely choked and got ZERO. So Reed finished WITH MORE INTs than him after having SEVEN less with FIVE games left. I mean if anyone needs more proof that Polamalu will never be better than him than somethings wrong with you.