T.J. Houshmandzadeh won't be back with the Seahawks

The Seahawks would rather pay T.J. Houshmandzadeh huge money to go away than allow him to take another snap with the team.

Just one day after news leaked that the team was trying to trade Housh, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Seattle has decided to cut ties with the receiver after only one season despite owing him $7 million guaranteed this year.

(Schefter reports there is offset language in the deal. Seahawks will have to pay Houshmanzadeh whatever his new team doesn’t this year.  If the new team pays $1.5 million, the Seahawks pay $5.5 million)

We love the move.  Ultimately, Houshmandzadeh was just taking snaps away from young talent that could possibly help Pete Carroll by the time the team is good.  There was no chance Houshmandzadeh would have been in Seattle in 2011, and his attitude has been questioned more than once while on the Seahawks.

The most amazing part of the story?  Mike Williams is going to be a starting wideout.  That Mike Williams.

Some may think Carroll is crazy, but it doesn’t hurt to have courage with your convictions.  Williams has looked excellent all offseason long and provides a similar possession receiver skill set to Houshmandzadeh.

If Williams doesn’t work out, the team still has youngsters Deon Butler and Golden Tate behind him.  It’s a new era in Seattle, and the team can’t get rid of former G.M. Tim Ruskell’s mistakes fast enough.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
53 Responses to “T.J. Houshmandzadeh won't be back with the Seahawks”
  1. robert ethen says: Sep 3, 2010 6:15 PM

Housh may be gone but his memory will linger for a few days at least, while the maintenance staff goes through the long and arduous process of removing his name from above the locker.

2. Lance says: Sep 3, 2010 6:17 PM

I remember when I saw Housh on ESPN arguing with the EA sports guys about his low Madden rating after being traded to Seattle. I think they had it right.

3. robert ethen says: Sep 3, 2010 6:18 PM

Housh’s full name is Touraj Jeje Houshmandzadeh. His family calls him T.J. for short. But in retrospect they might have been better off nicknaming him Touraj Jeje H.

4. bearsfan says: Sep 3, 2010 6:22 PM

What? Ruskell made mistakes? I’m sure he won’t make any with the Bears. Ugh.

5. BrooklynNiner19 says: Sep 3, 2010 6:27 PM

“7 mil to go home and be with the wife and kids….. priceless for Housh………… dumb as sh*t for Seattle…….. couldnt say ut any better. Seattle are retarded !!

6. Cincinnasty says: Sep 3, 2010 6:29 PM

We don’t want him back.. After his comments about the”poor ass people in Cincinnati” bugging him for autograph’s he’ll be lucky if he don’t get booed when he comes in to town playing with another team.

7. jmatt8711 says: Sep 3, 2010 6:30 PM

finally a smart move, look at mike williams yac
    look at tjs all about me face. got sick of looking at it real quick last year, i just hope paul allen can afford the cash hit , oh wait paul allen.
    find a running back and were good to go

8. Dbellina says: Sep 3, 2010 6:30 PM

Vikings, nuff’ said.

9. Rhapsody says: Sep 3, 2010 6:31 PM

Housh’s nickname should be 911. Or maybe Camel.

10. ochostinko says: Sep 3, 2010 6:34 PM

Good luck to the team that signs the cocky SOB. We certainly don’t miss him here in Ohio.

11. FinFan68 says: Sep 3, 2010 6:37 PM

“Championship”

12. Jack Acid says: Sep 3, 2010 6:45 PM

Cutting Housh under contract? Mike Williams potential starter?
    Seattle = bizarro world!

13. AbeFreshly says: Sep 3, 2010 6:49 PM

I look forward to robert ethen’s posts on PfffffT. They usually give me a chuckle. Today is no exception. lol

14. crabman82 says: Sep 3, 2010 6:51 PM

on the 12th, just stay home hawk fans, its gonna get ugly

15. tferguson says: Sep 3, 2010 6:53 PM

I’ll never forget that game between Chicago and Detroit. Last game of the year, final seconds of the game, Lions in the red zone, Harrington throws a perfect pass above the defender, Mike Williams jumps. The ball hits him right in the hands…he drops it. He then went on an eating campaign.
    Harrington was actually a pretty quarterback–not a good leader though–until Mike and Roy Williams and Charles Rogers refused to catch his passes and then Morningweg and Mariucci blamed it on him.

16. chances with wolves says: Sep 3, 2010 6:53 PM

BrooklynNiner19 says: “Seattle are retarded !!”
    The “19″ in your name must refer to your IQ.

17. Rhapsody says: Sep 3, 2010 6:54 PM

This is once again FABRICATION by this site. TJ has NOT BEEN traded or released by Seattle. This is mere speculation over on ESPN by Adam Schefter – whose reports are often denied as erroneous by the people involved. Stating it as a fact on PFT is FABRICATION because even ESPN is merely speculating.

18. Urethra Franklin says: Sep 3, 2010 6:55 PM

“Seattle are retarded !!”
    lol.

19. Screwston says: Sep 3, 2010 6:56 PM

The Bears

20. Psi_E06 says: Sep 3, 2010 6:57 PM

21. cmoney18 says: Sep 3, 2010 7:01 PM

BrooklynNiner19 says:
    September 3, 2010 6:27 PM
    Wow… talk about irony.

22. Winnipeg Walter says: Sep 3, 2010 7:04 PM

I still love Housh. His attitude was the result of the chip on his shoulder because no one thought he was any good. He should’ve stayed with Cinci but hindsight is 20/20. He cares about winning and is passionate about the game which is more than you can say about some players.

23. Josh Br says: Sep 3, 2010 7:07 PM

It’s either the Raiders or Vikings that will pick him up. Those two need a reliable number 2.

24. SpartaChris says: Sep 3, 2010 7:10 PM

Wouldn’t it be ironic of Douchemanzadeh went to the Vikings, being as how he didn’t want to go there last season?

25. Gravy Makes Sconnies Fat says: Sep 3, 2010 7:11 PM

bet the vikes pick him up for close to the minimum, the hawks will be stuck for the rest. housh, harvin, camarillo and berrian until wk. 8 when rice gets back.

26. skoolboylwc says: Sep 3, 2010 7:13 PM

TJ to vikes

27. IAVikefan says: Sep 3, 2010 7:16 PM

The Vikings don’t want him anymore.

28. deadline wolf run says: Sep 3, 2010 7:17 PM

I have to assume he’ll just be jumping on a plane to Minneapolis, because Housh is not going anywhere else.

29. BuckeyeBengal says: Sep 3, 2010 7:18 PM

@ Rhapsody NFL.com is saying Housh will either be cut or traded too. They have it as breaking news at the top of their page and it’s stated as fact. PFT isn’t the only one man.

30. whodey122975 says: Sep 3, 2010 7:19 PM

i was kinda glad he left cincy. i felt like he was a whiny baby and actually our locker room has gotten much closer since he left. not a coincedence me thinks. TJ cried after most plays especially about getting his jersey grabbed. i bet the refs cant stand him.

31. Nutz N Boltz says: Sep 3, 2010 7:20 PM

Pete Carroll loves USC kids I wonder why….???? Make a move for Matty Lion hart bring in dwayne jarrett and find a way to get reggie…. its genius

32. case31 says: Sep 3, 2010 7:23 PM

“Go get him back cincinnati we need him after that antonio bryant heist. He knows the offense and mike brown should atleast give him 1.5 million he just would not start”
    Remember, Bungles mgmt offered him the money, and Bungles doctors passed his physical. It may have been a heist as you call it…but the Bungles were the victims of their own crime!!!

33. Meldog says: Sep 3, 2010 7:27 PM

Bills could use a number 2…..and with Seattle paying for half his salary, we could afford him too.

34. lurch's nyquil says: Sep 3, 2010 7:31 PM

With all the talk from LaConfora, Schefter and other talkin heads I demand why we did not know about a trade that actually happened(Crayton). I mean these friggin guys are becoming more like weathermen everyday! Stop with all the tweeting. I do not tweet as I do not find myself so important that sheep need to follow my every stupid thought. I do not follow anyone that tweets because all the sheep will let me know what I missed. So for that, I thank you. On that note it is exactly 420 and my Captain Mrgan Private Stock needs a refill.
    Out

35. mike428 says: Sep 3, 2010 7:35 PM

Well…Mike Williams did outplay him and had a helluva camp, so I can see that.
    I wouldn’t write off Seattle just yet…I think they may just surprise us with some more personnel changes.
    They may not win the West this year, but they’ll be a better team than what Mora had on the field last year.

36. njhitman says: Sep 3, 2010 7:36 PM

Cincinnasty says:
    September 3, 2010 6:29 PM
    ———————————-
    Dam I knew I liked this guy (like you said the”poor ass people in Cincinnati has to put up with that white and black striped team ) Well I guess he got out of town before his house was robbed or he got muged

37. AbeFreshly says: Sep 3, 2010 7:36 PM

38. Laxer37 says: Sep 3, 2010 7:39 PM

Not a Bengals fan, but I live in Cincinnati and the fans here were blind to his poor attitude because of their emotional attachment to the team.
    When he left he burned bridges on the way out and the fans woke up and saw the real guy.
    If you live in Cincinnati you know there was major support for ditching Ochocinco in favor of keeping Housh.
    In this case, it was a good thing Mike Brown doesn’t care what his team’s fans think.

39. silverdeer says: Sep 3, 2010 7:39 PM

Here is a scary thought (especially to Lions fans)…Somewhere, Matt Millen is smiling and saying I told you he was good.

40. Meat Tuperello says: Sep 3, 2010 7:44 PM

Good point Robert Ethan.
    He was likely a state semifinalist of the Spelling Bee each year just for spelling his last name.
    Once the Tards cut Leinart, the best qb they have, then Pete can work some more USC magic.

41. jimmySee says: Sep 3, 2010 7:50 PM

The guy has “Vikings” written all over him!

42. timegambit says: Sep 3, 2010 8:02 PM

I just took a reliable #2 and it looked just like Housh.

43. Tinbender says: Sep 3, 2010 8:02 PM

Josh Br says:
    September 3, 2010 7:07 PM
    ————————————————–
    A reliable number 2. Is that a polite way of saying he’s a POS?
    Seriously though, he might be a good fit for the Raiders, pay him 1.5 mil, let Seattle pick up the tab for the rest.

44. SpartaChris says: Sep 3, 2010 8:22 PM

lurch’s nyquil says:
    September 3, 2010 7:31 PM
    Out
    ===============================
    Yes you’re self righteous enough to boast to everyone about how you feel you’re too good for twitter. /facepalm

45. 8man says: Sep 3, 2010 8:29 PM

He’s no Wes Welker.
    Just so everyone knows the term “retarded” is frowned upon in organizations that support and serve people with a disability or disabilities. However, it is more than adequate to describe someone without said diagnosis whose progress has slowed or stopped due to something that doesn’t fall into a category of a disability.
    Such as terminal stupidity, brought on by years of simply failing to recognize the need to move forward or grasping the concept of personal responsibility.
    Point being, America is filled with people who are retarded that don’t have a disability or a diagnosis. And most of them chose to be so.

46. AutumnWind999 says: Sep 3, 2010 8:38 PM

I know the Raiders want to see what they’ve got in Murphy, DHB and Schilens if he ever stays healthy, but this signing would be awfully tempting right now.

47. DriveEmHrd says: Sep 3, 2010 8:42 PM

Sources: Ziggy Wilf;’s private jet landed in seattle 1 hr ago

48. BigBaldPapaHawk says: Sep 3, 2010 8:48 PM

# Nutz N Boltz says: September 3, 2010 7:20 PM
    —————————————————
    Thank you for your incredible insight. Carroll in the draft passed up his stud safety from USC to pick that stud out of Texas. He also cut Lendale White days after picking him up to try and dust him off.
    Carroll has shown no preference to USC guys. Mike Williams is having a great pre-season. The kid is in great shape and is performing well. He earned it.

49. Deb says: Sep 3, 2010 8:51 PM

Wow … so much for my Freudian slip yesterday. I said I’d cut him outright before I’d pay him $7 million … then came back on and said “Oops, if it’s guaranteed, guess that’s not an option.”
    I kind of like this move. Someone’s bound to pick him up, and whatever they pay him, Seattle can deduct from the balance sheet. Better than keeping him around to be a disgruntled distraction.

50. kristoff says: Sep 3, 2010 8:59 PM

pull some money from under ur mattress ralph wilson!!!

51. sabertoothe says: Sep 3, 2010 10:35 PM

let the cincinnasty buttholes have him return that way they can have the 3 stooges fight over who’s going to have the most passes thrown to them…they don’t care about winning just the limelight and who get’s the more passes between them, curley can be ochostinko,moe T.O. and larry tj.

52. FumbleNuts says: Sep 4, 2010 12:45 AM

A Trade with the Vikings or Buffalo would just make the most SENSE.

53. Beer Cheese Soup says: Sep 4, 2010 11:34 AM

Now kids, pay attention…
    THIS is why you don’t hire Pete Carroll to coach an NFL team, let alone handle player personnel.
    Stupid move.
    I feel for all of the Seahawk fans that went out and dropped a bill on Housh’s jersey the second he was signed.. All fifteen of the Seahawks fans in the world.