Marvin Lewis: T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Bengals not a good fit

A day after he was released by the Seahawks, T.J. Houshmandzadeh is looking for a new team. His old coach in Cincinnati, Marvin Lewis, says that new team won’t be the Bengals.

Noting that he’s satisfied with Chad Ochocinco and Terrell Owens as his starting receivers, Lewis said he doesn’t see where there’s room for Houshmandzadeh on the roster.

“If our team were constituted differently this would be a great spot for him to be back at,” Lewis said, per Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer. “But right now where we are I don’t know if it would be good for him.”

“It’s unfortunate that T.J. got released. He’s going to get another opportunity. He’ll make the most of that opportunity and I’ll be happy for him,” Lewis said. “I had people call and contact me as far as T.J. and I gave him a true, honest appraisal and a very honest one. T.J. helped us get where we are today. He’s a good, young pro and a good man and he did a lot of good leading in this building.”

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
9 Responses to “Marvin Lewis: T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Bengals not a good fit”
  1. RedskinOne says: Sep 5, 2010 2:32 PM

Redskins have a home for you TJ, come help us win another title.

2. Rhapsody says: Sep 5, 2010 2:36 PM

Translation of Lewis’ remarks: He might end up on the Browns so I don’t wanna say anything to inflame retribution.

3. Terrell Blowens says: Sep 5, 2010 3:02 PM

“He’s a good, young pro and a good man and he did a lot of good leading in this building”
    He’s not so young anymore, Marvin

4. BigBear123 says: Sep 5, 2010 3:35 PM

Caldwell is a good 3rd receiver, considering they could get him for the veteran minimum TJ is not worth the headache.
    Saying a lot coming from the Bengals.

5. ejtowne says: Sep 5, 2010 4:00 PM

T.J. you are more than welcome to come to Buffalo and work along side Lee Evans and Roscoe Parrish.

6. crohrbaugh says: Sep 5, 2010 4:42 PM

Sorry TJ you were a solid player, but thought that you were a superstar. A little harder when you don’t have Ocho taking up double teams. We’ll stick with Jordan Shipley, thank you very much. (and not Andre Caldwell)

7. habibfromnewdehli says: Sep 5, 2010 5:15 PM

“Lewis says he feels badly for Houshmandzadeh and wants to see him catch on somewhere. Just not in Cincinnati. ”
    ===============
    Or Baltimore, or Pittsburgh, or any team we play this year.

8. HardcoreH1 says: Sep 5, 2010 5:17 PM

@crohrbaugh
    Let’s not shed a negative light on Caldwell. Shipley is the better WR but Caldwell stuck the dagger in the heart of the Steelers in week 3 last year (and made Hines Ward cry). He did it again Week 5 against the Raisins. He’s got to the the best 4th receiver in the league.
    I recently tried to purchase a Bengals thermal mug from eBay. The picture featured Carson Palmer and a tiger. When it arrived it was Carson and TJ. Long story short: The dude gave me a total refund and told me to keep the mug. If TJ comes back I can have him facing outward instead of Carson when I’m sipping whatever I put in the thing. I don’t drink coffee, so Mello Yello or Mr. Pibb probably.

9. urteamsux says: Sep 5, 2010 5:37 PM

I am so happy they are not going to go get T.J.,dont get me wrong loved him while he was here but they dont need another reciever.Funny how as soon as he left town last year all the bitchin and moanin stopped i think he might have been behind the scenes complaining he should be a No.1 reciever, is not will not ever be,he and wes welker battled it out for the league lead in catches a couple of years in a row niether of them were a No.1.He will land on his feat somewhere but buyer beware he needs a deep threat on the other side or his production will suffer.