Bobby Carpenter finds a home in Miami

Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland have re-hired one of their most famous draft misfires.

The Dolphins announced the signing of linebacker Bobby Carpenter on Monday.  They released Charlie Anderson to make room as the Dolphins continued a massive roster shakeup.  Carpenter, cut by the Rams this weekend, will bolster the inside linebacker depth with Channing Crowder hurt.

Aside from claiming four players off waivers on Sunday, the Dolphins are also changing their starting lineup. It appears that Ikaika Alama-Francis has supplanted Koa Misi as a starting outside linebacker.  And Ethan Skolnick of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that Jason Allen should start at cornerback in the season opener over Sean Smith.

Allen was taken No. 16 overall in the 2006 draft, two spots ahead of where Parcells took Carpenter when he was with Dallas.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams
25 Responses to “Bobby Carpenter finds a home in Miami”
  1. blmonroe12 says: Sep 6, 2010 2:17 PM

As a Buckeye fan, this is painful to watch.. I can see him struggling to get on the field in Dallas due to the talent around him, but to get cut by the Rams – thats just dreadful… I hope Parcels straightens this guy out.. If he can’t, no one else can.

2. tedskro says: Sep 6, 2010 2:34 PM

how did alma francis ever garner a starting position in the nfl?! Im telling you Tuna is an overrated exec stick to coaching your managerial skills suck. Dolphins will be awful this year I promise that. Wouldn’t be surprised if they finish last and the Bills are 3rd

3. RexR#1 says: Sep 6, 2010 2:41 PM

His father Rob also played for Parcells with the Giants in the early 80s.

4. boomtownrat25 says: Sep 6, 2010 2:46 PM

What? I’d take Charlie Anderson over Carpenter.

5. Winninugly says: Sep 6, 2010 2:47 PM

waving charlie anderson for bobby carpenter is waaaaaay stupid!

6. Stranger than a strange fan says: Sep 6, 2010 3:14 PM

Alama-Francis has been converted to a 3-4 OLB at 285 pounds. He moves surprisingly well and will be a brick wall setting the edge on the strong side.
    Just because Detroit couldn’t find a way to use him doesn’t make this a bad move. Nobody sifts through the trash heap like Miami. This guy will be rock solid.

7. yardbarker says: Sep 6, 2010 3:27 PM

The Tuna always did love big blonde boys Barbe fits all those descriptions except being a player. “Together again”

8. ftomeo says: Sep 6, 2010 3:30 PM

I have no problem with Ike, actually excited. Can’t say the same for Carpenter. I’ve liked Anderson coming off the bench, but I guess he is an old man under the new Dolphin regime. But Carpenter is no spring chicken then either… guess they contribute about as much (not very much at all); expectations are just a bit different with Carpenter supposed to be a star and Carpenter a perennial bench/role player.

9. chieto21 says: Sep 6, 2010 3:36 PM

The tuna knows talent, towards the end of the year barbie was showing some production. He is a good backup for the Miami Dolphins will make some big plays at times and decent pass coverage. Just dont rely on him to stop the run. I barbie in the league as a contributor for several more years.

10. ftomeo says: Sep 6, 2010 3:37 PM

Oh… Does Carpenter play ST? And what the hell is wrong with Crowder?

11. Big Tex says: Sep 6, 2010 3:39 PM

The Third Down Seagull returns to the league.

12. 2buku4u says: Sep 6, 2010 3:42 PM

Alama-Francis doesn’t worry me half as much as starting Jason freaking Allen…I hope Nolan knows what he’s doing

13. thedude says: Sep 6, 2010 3:58 PM

blmonroe12 – as a fellow buckeye fans, and alum, you can take some comfort in the fact that he was competing with James Laurenitis, Larry Grant, and Na’il Diggs… maybe they had their fill of Buckeye linebackers…

14. Three Cloud says: Sep 6, 2010 4:10 PM

The idea that Parcells is a top personnel guy is a myth that has been knocked around for a long time.
    As a Jets fan it took me a long time to come round to the idea of having a non-football guy as a GM but I’m on board now and would hate to see Tannenbaum and Parcells swap places.

15. itie says: Sep 6, 2010 4:31 PM

Hey tedskro–I’ll take that bet.

16. Vinnie from Jersey says: Sep 6, 2010 4:38 PM

Let’s stop kissing Parcells’ Ass. He wasted a first round pick on Barbie Carpenter just because his father played for him. He couldn’t crack Dallas’ starting line up and got cut by the lowly Rams. Now all of a sudden Big Bill is going to make a player out of him?
    What a joke. The game has passed Big Bill by. He also wanted to draft Marcus Spears BEFORE Demarcus Ware!!!! Demarcus would have been long gone by the time Dallas drafted again!!
    So people, yes Big Bill’s teams won 2 Superbowls but that was a long time ago. Wipe the sh@t off of your noses and realize Big Bill is not as good as you think he is!!!

17. william sizemore says: Sep 6, 2010 4:40 PM

Seems to me that some of theses experts won’t be happy until Miami has another 1-15 team, then they can crow I told you so, they couldn’t coach a pee wee team of 5 year old girls. Bill p.s. I couldn’t either, the difference is I know it.

18. Dolfan34 says: Sep 6, 2010 4:44 PM

Not really sure what the Dolphins are doing any more. I think they are getting desperate. Bobby Carpenter over Charlie Anderson? I don’t think so. Sometimes Parcells loyalties get in the way of logic. I don’t think the regime is seeing what they want from the guys they are playing and they are panicking. If this season goes the way I think it’s going to go, heads are going to roll.

19. philwauke says: Sep 6, 2010 4:56 PM

Ouch Charlieee… Charlie bit me!

20. coco says: Sep 6, 2010 5:03 PM

tedskro says:
    —————————————————-
    You are so so smart?????
    you need to visit:
    ‘Smart Kids’ or How to increase child’s IQ !
    you are going feel better!!!!
    “I promise that”.
    The Miami Dolphins? Don’t Underestimate Them
    DON’T UNDERESTIMATE THE FINS!!!!
    We ( the jets ) look very good in paper? but, paper hold everything you put on, that’s why they make toilet paper out of paper !!!!!!!!! We still don’t know sanchez (la cucaracha, la cucaracha) what he could do!!!!!
    Way 2 early to predict kid!!

21. Dol-Fan_24_7 says: Sep 6, 2010 5:16 PM

I think your all overreacting a bit,think about this..Bobby Carpenter didn’t play much in Dallas because the regime over there didn’t think he’s a good player,I think Parcells knows what he’s doing or he wouldn’t make a move like this../= GO DOLPHINS!

22. .Vox Veritas. says: Sep 6, 2010 6:10 PM

“Bobby Carpenter didn’t play much in Dallas because the regime over there didn’t think he’s a good player”
    Um… he didn’t play much for Parcells in Dallas, either.

23. FinFan68 says: Sep 6, 2010 7:11 PM

Carpenter? Wow. I get the Misi thing, as he will likely be a 3rd down contributer initially pinnin’ ears back and going after the QB. The moves these last few weeks have been concerning. I hope they know what they are doing. The off season was good, but now…suspect.

24. ravens suck says: Sep 6, 2010 8:02 PM

I can’t believe Jason Allen is starting over Sean Smith–Smith is an all-pro up and comer..He will clearly be starting by week 3..

25. tedskro says: Sep 6, 2010 10:14 PM

hey itie sounds good man your cute wildcat offense was so cool for one season. Trust me just seeing that Alma francis is starting makes me sick and shows me the talent on your team. qb mediocre running backs outstanding. cry baby receiver with average backups I would have never gotten rid of Camarillo.
    And correct me if Im wrong but I dont think he has ever played olb and ya he is slow I dont care how big he is if you think he is athletic for that size your crazy. I watched that pathetic player in D-town. I can promise you a trash year for the dolphins