Browns land Steve Vallos on waivers

The waiver dance continues.

The Seahawks released center Steve Vallos on Sunday.  Per a league source, the Browns and Panthers submitted waiver claims.  The Browns secured his service.

Vallos, a seventh-round pick in 2007, appeared in 16 games in each of the past two seasons, starting eight of them.

In Cleveland, Vallos will be reunited with Mike Holmgren, coach of the Seahawks when Vallos was drafted.

Holmgren also may be interested in former Seahawks fullback Owen Schmitt, who also has been waived.  Holmgren was the coach in Seattle when Schmitt was picked in 2008.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
16 Responses to “Browns land Steve Vallos on waivers”
  1. thetruckerking says: Sep 6, 2010 8:35 PM

No no no, lets not let this become a Seahawks version of last season when the Browns became a garbage disposal for the Jets. And don’t let the Browns take a fullback that doesn’t even know how to spell his own last name. I’d explain that last comment if I thought anyone from Pittsburgh was reading this. They wouldn’t get it. Anyway, the Browns have one of the best fullbacks in the league in Vickers. If need be, Hillis could back him up. Can any roster support 3 fullbacks?

2. Sheward says: Sep 6, 2010 8:44 PM

No way he’s interested in Schmitt with Vickers and Hillis on the roster.

3. Stealthhawk says: Sep 6, 2010 8:44 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Walrus brought in Mansfield Wrotto, another lineman he drafted in Seattle and/or Jordan Babineaux because the Browns are short on DB’s.

4. FumbleNuts says: Sep 6, 2010 9:21 PM

Walrus will want his ex-players!

5. tobago says: Sep 6, 2010 10:08 PM

find a veteran wide receiver, Holmgren.

6. Dinger says: Sep 6, 2010 10:20 PM

Well, who could blame Craig Stadler for picking up more ex-Seahawks. Look how superb they’ve been during his tenure!
    Just release Stadler and make Mangina Browns President after this 6-10 season.

7. cball77 says: Sep 6, 2010 11:27 PM

Schmitt is a useless FB but Vallos is a decent back-up, can play all 3 interior line positions.
    Dinger says:
    September 6, 2010 10:20 PM
    5 division titles, 1 conference championship, 86-74 record. Nice job if you’re trying to show you know jack s**t about the NFL.

8. RayRay says: Sep 7, 2010 11:08 AM

RayRay,
    I agree with Tobago. Get a veteran receiver. We should have grab Housh for at least one year. Now we face him twice vs Baltimore. You know he’s going to burn us. This team doesn’t feel like it’s rebuilding, revamping. Forget about “winning now”. Sometimes I feel Homie just wants to skate his first year, dump Mangini and bring in his own coach. Maybe, Gruden.
    .Just speculating, of course. But please bring some offensive weapons in! The wildcat offense might be fun but it’s not enough.

9. civilwarfish says: Sep 7, 2010 3:12 PM

Why grab Housh for a year? So he burns us twice this year. We arent gonna win the Superbowl this year. We arent gonna win the division. We arent likely to sniff at the playoffs.
    Let these young guys play. Let them hone their skills. Bring in vets where they are needed for mentoring. Jake is a mentor. That he can play is a bonus. He is here to mentor Colt McCoy. Bowens is here to mentor the linebackers. Sheldon Brown is here to mentor. He will kick some ass while here but hes here to mentor.
    Let them play and play hard this year. Then…another draft and another free agency period and lets see what we got.
    Holmgren isnt out to sack Mangini. I really believe he likes what he sees. I think he believes the team is on the right track. I know I do. He told us at the onset that it was gonna take a couple years to rebuild this team and he has done a hell of a job first year.
    We as Cleveland fans are impatient. We want instant gratitude. Instant stars. Instant wins. Its not gonna happen. We get mad when we field a now name team of guys and complain we got nothin. Watch and see…we will turn heads and we are building a team that will become solid and strong and in a couple years will contend.
    We WILL have the last laugh.

10. RayRay says: Sep 7, 2010 5:32 PM

RayRay,
    Why grab Housh for a year? Maybe because he’ll come cheap, he gives Delomme a proven down field target/threat,and he’ll be the closest thing to a #1 we got. He’ll had some excitement and fun now. He’ll help us win. Oh and he’s experience enough to mentor. Yes, while we rebuild. Mangini is out next year, no doubt.
    Yes,we’ll not Superbowl bound. Yes we are on the right track. But be patient. 2 winning seasons since 1999. History of wasted high draft picks. Musical chairs with starting quarterbacks. I been waiting 40 years for the Browns to reach the Superbowl. I’m optomistic and yes a little impatient. Hope I’m around for civilwarfish’s “last laugh”.

11. RayRay says: Sep 7, 2010 6:19 PM

RayRay,
    Why grab Housh for a year? Maybe because he’ll come cheap, he gives Delomme a proven down field target/threat,and he’ll be the closest thing to a #1 we got. He’ll add some excitement and fun now. He’ll help us win. Oh and he’s experience enough to mentor. Yes, while we rebuild. Mangini is out next year, no doubt.

12. civilwarfish says: Sep 7, 2010 7:01 PM

Well Rayray, Housh tends to be a diva. We dont need a diva. We need team players and I dont hear reports of his team player attitude. Im not sure we want Delhomme throwing downfield too often right now anyway…hes doing well in range for whom we have.
    Fun…this team is gonna be fun…right now…this year. They are gonna win some games and lose a few real good games as well. I dont think Mangini is going anywhere…I think he is part of the solution that brings us a SuperBowl.
    We have ALL lived with two wining seasons since the return of the Browns. We have ALL watched wasted draft picks. Watched Veikune leave just today. We ALL watched musical quarterbacks. We have all been waiting for over 40 years. We are all optomistic and more than a little impatient. You WILL be around for the last laugh unless you plan on checking out soon…and I am not planning to. I want to see the Browns do the dance. It will happen soon.
    Dont wishit away for a little instant gratification. Thats what has happened last 10 seasons. Mostly it didnt work at all, and even then it didnt stick.
    This time its being done right.

13. RayRay says: Sep 8, 2010 8:23 AM

RayRay,
    Well, civilwarfish, you convince on Housh not being an answer but a problem/distraction to a positive team building process. I known what Delhomme is expected of , under 15 yards passes to TE,slot routes and check downs. That’s why Montario is such a lost.
    I believe we are on the right track, maybe two years from really contending. I like your attitude, positive w/o sugarcoating reality. But man, we been bad for so looooong! Hanging in. Waiting for an exciting season. Go Browns.

14. civilwarfish says: Sep 8, 2010 4:07 PM

RayRay I am right with you rootin for our Brownies.
    We cant be sugar coating and we cant be pushing too fast for a solid permanent fix. It is hard. I remember the taste of jazz we felt in 07…how much this city came alive. I can vision how we will react when we actually win something. We will indeed forget LeBron James.
    It would have been nice to see Hardesty produce this year, but we got him…lets get him fixed and ready for 11 or 12 and our run for the prize. Colt McCoy looked good against the Bears, but against their scrubs….so lets see what he does. We got time and we got Jake…that gives Colt a mentor and someone we can count on.
    In regards to Housh and the diva situation…his comment about nobody beat him out in Seattle says so much…the ME ME ME attitude that stinks a place up. We will need stars to finish the deal. We just dont need em yet.

15. thetruckerking says: Sep 8, 2010 4:56 PM

CWFish, you are so on the money. The last thing that the Browns need right now is some diva spreading bad attitude around. I’m not one of these guys who thinks that all NFL players should be role models and model citizens. I say if they have talent that’s what matters first but the Browns need team players with no huge egos right now that fit their system.
    “No deep threat”. I hear it over and over again. Massaquoi was ranked number 3 in the NFL among starting receivers in yards per catch. That was with no support on the other side of the field and with a couple of McDonalds fry cooks throwing to him. Now Robiskie has improved, Cribbs is looking good as a WR, no matter how bad of an idea that might be. The Browns have 2 serious pass catching threats at tightend and a wide load that can catch the ball out of the backfield in Hillis. I even happen to like Chansi Stuckey now that he has had a full year to learn the system. No, I don’t think that Massaquoi is the second coming of Jerry Rice (or Sidney Rice for that matter) but I do think he can flirt with 1000 yards this season and I do think that opposing teams will have to respect him deep.

16. civilwarfish says: Sep 8, 2010 5:40 PM

@thetruckerking
    nice analysis. Our recievers arent as bad as made out to be. Matthew Stafford was a first pick QB…but who was onthe other end of his golden arm…Massaquoi. Brian Robiskie helped make a Heisman man outta Troy Smith. Chansi Stuckie isnt half bad as youpoint out…and Cribbs…yeah I agree bad idea but good result. Add our tight ends and backs as you said and we can surely catch the ball.
    Our defense is where I am focusing right now. I think we have played the sleeper this preseason. It may be intentional, not sute there. We have seen the potential of Ward…and of Haden. Brown is a strong hitter and they may bring out the best in Elam although I hold reservations on that. Abram is a solid player but not explosive.
    We need a pass rush, and I suspect that the trio of Rogers, Rubin and Smith on the front line will strike fear into a few quarterbacks hearts this season, and leave worthlessburger eating turf a few times…and the linebackers need to step up.
    Gonna be a fun season.