Dan Hampton apologizes for Katrina remark

Hall of Fame Bears defensive lineman Dan Hampton, who said on the Pro Football Weekly television show that the Vikings should go to New Orleans on Thursday night “and hit that town like Katrina,” has issued an apology for his comments.

“I would like to offer my most sincere apologies to everyone who was
offended in any way by my reference to Hurricane Katrina in our most
recent ‘Pro Football Weekly’ TV show,” Hampton said in an item posted at the PFW website.

“It was a spur-of-the-moment comment intended strictly as a metaphor
for the storm-like intensity I believe the Vikings will bring to their
rematch with the Saints, and it simply never occurred to me that anyone
could read anything more than that into it.

“I have nothing but the deepest respect and greatest admiration for
the people of the Gulf Coast, and I am horrified that even one of you
would think I would make light of the terror Katrina wrought, and that I
have clearly offended so many of you.

“I realize now it was a terrible choice of words, and I offer
absolutely no excuses.  I screwed up, about as badly as I could, and I am
deeply and profoundly sorry.”

We’ve got a few concerns about Hampton’s apology.

First, if it “never occurred” to Hampton that anyone could take his comment as offensive, he needs to donate the contents of his cranium to Dr. Julian Bailes’ ongoing effort to identify brain damage in football players.  (And that’s not a joke.)

Second, he says he’s “horrified” that anyone “would think I would make light of the terror Katrina wrought,” even though that’s precisely what he did by suggesting that the Vikings should do to New Orleans what Katrina did.

Third, Hampton closes by saying that he “offer[s] absolutely no excuses” for his comments, after offering several excuses for his comments.

Unanswered for now is whether any action will be taken against Hampton by PFW.  The comment cries out for something more than an internally inconsistent apology.  At a minimum, the folks who run the show at PFW need to articulate as soon as possible their decision regarding Hampton’s future — and to explain it thoroughly.

Permalink 96 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
96 Responses to “Dan Hampton apologizes for Katrina remark”
  1. INVAIDUH says: Sep 6, 2010 11:13 PM

waaa…big storm..said things….waaa.
    own it and shut it. you’re fine.
    times are tough for us all.

2. Richm2257 says: Sep 6, 2010 11:14 PM

“I realize now it was a terrible choice of words, and I offer absolutely no excuses. I screwed up, about as badly as I could, and I am deeply and profoundly sorry.”
    That is perhaps the cleanest, least-weasely, acceptance of guilt I have heard in years. Hampton didn’t “spin” this, he took full responsibility that his comments were wrong. Lay off the guy at this point, Mike; more people should step up and take the heat like Hamton just did.

3. Ytsejamer1 says: Sep 6, 2010 11:15 PM

don’t be such a puss about it…you’ve been hanging out with NBC for too long.
    Good for him if he felt it necessary to apologize but really…there’s nothing to see here…move along folks!

4. Mr. Diesel says: Sep 6, 2010 11:17 PM

Leave it alone. I know I’m not alone in saying that I’m completely sick and tired of hearing about Katrina. It happened YEARS AGO. Let the government and community do what they will to continue rebuilding but just stop talking about the damn thing.

5. J says: Sep 6, 2010 11:18 PM

lol!

6. Mumakata says: Sep 6, 2010 11:19 PM

He has apologized. However, how many of the whiny libtards who have complained here will accept his apology. And how many will choose to stay offended. Apology accepted, Hampton, now drift back into obscurity in retirement. And the rest of the idiots here who were offended by that idiotic comment can find something else to piss and moan about.

7. IAVikefan says: Sep 6, 2010 11:22 PM

Or, maybe you fools could stop making SUCH A BIG ISSUE OUT OF IT!!! The only thing funnier at this point, is if the Vikings play “Rock U Like a Hurricane” by the Scorpions for their entrance music.

8. william sizemore says: Sep 6, 2010 11:22 PM

Are you on a witch hunt, or what, PC is killing this country. Bill

9. RoSissle says: Sep 6, 2010 11:23 PM

I think the Danimal had a few Hurricanes to drink when he dropped that one…

10. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Sep 6, 2010 11:23 PM

Lighten up, Francis. It was a dumb thing to say, but keep it in perspective.
    This is another example of the media blowing something out of proportion to sell papers and garner page hits.

11. NYJALLFINGDAY says: Sep 6, 2010 11:23 PM

It’s a good apology, and it sounds like Florio is BUTTHURT.

12. lieutenant Dan's Ice Cream says: Sep 6, 2010 11:24 PM

Sounds like a classy dude…

13. Ryandg5 says: Sep 6, 2010 11:25 PM

I sure hope you don’t hurt yourself falling from that HIGH horse of yours. If you truly thought the man wished catastrophe toward the people of New Orleans, then I demand an apology from you … and then I can dissect every word and explain why your apology was wrong and why I don’t think you truly meant it …

14. downwithdansnyder says: Sep 6, 2010 11:26 PM

Too many hits to the head combined with a lower than needed IQ.

15. Favrelous says: Sep 6, 2010 11:26 PM

I don’t think he needs to, everyone knows the saints went to far against the vikes last year. Also, everyone should know he did not hope such a tragedy as Katrina would ever happen again.

16. BENCHTJACK says: Sep 6, 2010 11:26 PM

Dan you should not have to apologize. You can’t swing an alley cat nowdays without hitting some cry baby.

17. JCred says: Sep 6, 2010 11:27 PM

Apology? That was an awesome one-liner.

18. JethroBodine says: Sep 6, 2010 11:28 PM

The only people who are angered by this story–are the pussy media. Butch up.

19. Blackn'Gold says: Sep 6, 2010 11:29 PM

We all make mistakes. I applaud Dan’s enthusiasm for the game but it was poorly articulated.
    GO STEELERS!

20. Sam Lee says: Sep 6, 2010 11:29 PM

Making an analogy is unacceptable? What a silly, PC world it has become. New Orleans got a SuperBowl thanks to officials who mysteriously swallowed their whistles. Isn’t that enough from football?
    This is a silly, inconsistent attack on someone who really did nothing wrong and put out a boilerplate apology. That’s what the PC world wants. That’s why reptiles like Ari Fleischer provide the words that Goodell and your hero, Teddy Thompson use.

21. seahawkfan says: Sep 6, 2010 11:30 PM

Mike the guy said sorry and your trying to make the story worser than it seems.

22. Meldog says: Sep 6, 2010 11:32 PM

Give it a rest…..i thought the apology was good. He said he made a mistake, he said he shouldn’t have said it, and he tried to explain what was going through his head when he said it; which now, per his apology, was not an excuse in his eyes but rather an explanation.
    I seriously thought it was a funny comment which would obviously piss allot of people off….and it was likely that he would have to apologize for it later…..which he did.
    Fine him or suspend him in a manner that reflects a minor lapse of judgement (per PFW standards, whatever they may be)….no serious punishment is necessary in my opinion.

23. Sparrowhawk says: Sep 6, 2010 11:33 PM

Your article is spot on, Mr Florio. The same bozo that made the original stupid comment must have written the poor excuse for an apology. It might have been a good time for Hampton to have a professional proof read the apology.

24. BigBear123 says: Sep 6, 2010 11:46 PM

Who cares?
    When is he apologizing for rooting for the Vikings?

25. ryanleaf says: Sep 6, 2010 11:47 PM

Am I the only one that sees this for what it is? The guy made a mistake. He was trying to be witty and it didn’t land… let it go, it’s not the end of the world.
    Bad choice of words? Yeah. Should any more actions be taken to punish him for it? No.
    Time to move along to the next thing that can be blown out of proportion…

26. greatone says: Sep 6, 2010 11:48 PM

This douchebag should really learn to keep his stupid mouth shut. First he spews homophobic comments and now he makes fun of people who were devastated by Katrina and who still have not recovered. His employers better wise up and fire him now before he opens his dumbass mouth one too many times and his employer pays the price.

27. dannymac17 says: Sep 6, 2010 11:51 PM

Florio, you’ve said some off hand hack comments, so for you to judge anyone based off what they say and who they offend, you should look in the mirror.

28. mw says: Sep 6, 2010 11:52 PM

(Florio is the one with the big hat.)

29. FrankZappa says: Sep 6, 2010 11:54 PM

jebus Florio, give the guy a break…what, is 6 years too soon for you?

30. TylerRDunn says: Sep 6, 2010 11:56 PM

Get off Mt. Pious, Florio. The analogy was legit and it helped Hampton make his point. Thank god I’m not as sensitive as 99% of people who reside in this country. Cupcakes.

31. RedskinsRT says: Sep 6, 2010 11:58 PM

It’s the same thing that’s been posted on a million message boards, blogs, etc

32. midwest says: Sep 6, 2010 11:59 PM

Are we so insensitive that this is a big deal? I mean, seriously, lighten’ up Francis!

33. keyshawn22 says: Sep 7, 2010 12:03 AM

What Hampton said was dumb but not offensive…everybody is over sensitive to everything these days. Isnt the U of Miami’s team name the Hurricanes?? Hasnt Florida been decimated by hurricanes at different times (anderew anyone?)…but nobody seems to have a problem with that.

34. Occam says: Sep 7, 2010 12:04 AM

I just want to apologize for saying that 49ers need to go into Seattle this Sunday and hit that town like a bunch of granola eating, latte drinking, bicycle riding hippie-freaks. I have nothing but the deepest respect and greatest admiration for the people of Seattle.

35. IckeyShuffled says: Sep 7, 2010 12:04 AM

Mike Florio, the NFL conscience.

36. vikings182 says: Sep 7, 2010 12:08 AM

leave it to florio to make a story out of nothing. he used it as a metaphor get over it, im sure your writing it down as something you can use later and claim is it as your own. If only you had to apologize for your biased and shotty writing.

37. Mad Dog says: Sep 7, 2010 12:18 AM

what in the world does it take to satisfy a whiny sniffling liberal. An apology now needs to meet the liberal politically correct litmus test. This used to be a cool football site, but now you have to listen to this liberal political mumbo jumbo. Why don’t you just get another site and call it ProLiberaltalk.com and let a football person run this one………florio must be a crossdresser at night.

38. DoughBoyRAC says: Sep 7, 2010 12:24 AM

Shame on anyone who views this as a story.
    I don’t kill ants in my yard who build their mounds in low spots.
    I wait for rain.
    When the rain comes, the ants move.
    No one has moved from the defilade which is New Orleans.
    We will revisit this issue again.
    Especially since “we” are counting on the inept federal government to have shored-up this defilade to prevent flooding, after having siphoned bazillions of dollars from the pockets of American citizens.
    Good luck, New Orleans!
    I applaud your Super Bowl, and hope you teach Favre another lesson.
    But when it comes to hurricanes, I cheer for nature against mans’ stupidity every time!

39. jrhsd says: Sep 7, 2010 12:26 AM

You are leading a parade of nobody Mike. (or is parody of Mike?)
    Would you consider yourself the new Jesse Jackson?
    btw ever see “With apologies to Jesse Jackson” on South Park? Classic.

40. tooz56 says: Sep 7, 2010 12:40 AM

It’s football..he said sorry. leave the guy alone. He did NOTHING to hurt anybody. Enough with the fake hype he said she said BS.

41. coaltrain says: Sep 7, 2010 12:43 AM

Aint he that feller that owns that there fancy hotel chain….har har.

42. CYGNUS X-1 says: Sep 7, 2010 12:45 AM

first of he should not have had to say he was sorry but he did and it sounded pretty sincere to me.but as usual it wasn’t good enough for the pc police led by the lawyer turned football expert florio. if you are so concerned about the victims of katrina how much of the pft pie did you donate to help them recover?better yet why don’t you use your power to find out where all the money went that was donated?I am pretty sure the people affected by the storm care more about that than you protecting any hurt feelings over something a former player said.

43. cusoman says: Sep 7, 2010 12:48 AM

————–
    Uhhh, really?! Because the Vikings as a team have the power to ravage a city like a Hurricane can? Seriously? It was an ANALOGY people – look it up. They were talking about a football team, not a city. I can’t believe I’m writing this out and I can’t believe people get so damn offended by this kind of stuff. It’s sensitivity on levels like this that keep racism alive and well today, and why we’ll never move forward as a people until everyone learns to lighten the hell up and not take each other so seriously.
    Smack talking (within limits) is part of the game, and if you can’t take it, I suggest you go follow Water Polo or something.

44. FBGeek77 says: Sep 7, 2010 12:49 AM

Just so you all know, I’m a liberal pinko commie queer … and I wasn’t offended. I thought it was stupid, but c’mon, people really need to grow a thicker skin.
    It’s a big, tough, mean world. We gotta stop pampering people at some point, right? It’s like the parents who sue the school cuz their poor widdle kid gets bullied. Tell your kid to man up and punch the bully in the mouth .. sure, he’ll get his butt kicked, but he’ll be a better man for it.

45. Mississippi Bill says: Sep 7, 2010 12:59 AM

I think this is much different that PC b/s. Last I checked – the official stats on Katrina were 1,836 dead and $81 B in damage. Not really a joking matter.
    Probably does not help that he is a former Bears player. I was at the Bears – Saints championship in 2006 and they treated Saints fans terribly. Only time in my life that I have been afraid at a football game. Even saw several signs that encouraged the Bears to “finish what Katrina started”.
    Do people joke about 9/11? While there were not as many people killed in Katrina (2,997 vs 1,836), there were a hell of a lot more people impacted by Katrina and lost everything. I don’t encourage joking about 9/11 and I think Katrina should be the same way.

46. timegambit says: Sep 7, 2010 1:05 AM

Shouldn’t have apologized, Dan.
    When liberals sense guilt or weakness the move in for the kill. Clowns like sharpton and jackson make examples out of people who try and apologize and then set to completely ruin you.
    And I mean RUIN ya. They will drag you through the streets and make you and your family pay for a simple statement that was meant with no malice, but which will be portrayed as a racist, bigoted attempt to humiliate the good natured, yet helpless, people of New Orleans.
    Never give’m an opening. It might mean your career.

47. Dave The Panther says: Sep 7, 2010 1:06 AM

Well the Saints rode Katrina sympathy tears for 4 1/2 years, until the NFL made them the darlings of the NFL. Somewhere in the meetings with the NFL referee association I am sure the words came out…. If it is close, help the Saints. It is the ONLY viable explanation as to why the Saints got 4 straight calls in their favor during that overtime period. 4 straight, not even close call. 4 blatant calls all in favor of the Saints.
    What Dan Hampton said is only New Orlean’s attempt to grab more sympathy for a town that should have been prepared for any hurricane. They are in the zone. You don’t see the Carolina’s crying everytime they get one.
    Stop Whining Saints, I hope the Vikings come in there like 22 Katrina’s all at once and DESTROY the SAINTS.
    GO VIKINGS

48. Truman says: Sep 7, 2010 1:11 AM

storm like intensity huh?
    Jesus this guy is a moron

49. PurplePeopleBeaters says: Sep 7, 2010 2:07 AM

Now we have a Panthers fan talking trash. Boy, speaking of irrelevance…

50. Dougesfeo says: Sep 7, 2010 2:42 AM

To all of you people saying stop talking about Katrina, Liberal retards, etc. etc.
    What if he said fly into NYC and destroy the Giants like it was 9/11. Would you say the same thing, would you say it wasn’t a big deal?
    What’s the difference?

51. King Kreg says: Sep 7, 2010 3:21 AM

It’s sad that an apology like this gets dissected to find negativity within it. Everyone has said things in the spur of the moment that they regret, and that is clearly what happened here.
    I think he did the right thing here with the apology and does not need to be ridiculed just for kicks.

52. Dave The Panther says: Sep 7, 2010 3:23 AM

Who is your team PurplePeopleMeatBeater?
    maybe Youa are a sorry ass Bear name. The difference between you and me. You are afraid to put your sorry ass alliance in your post. You could be apart of any 30 teams. Since obviously you aren’t a Panther or Viking fan.
    Otherwise STFU and YOU ARE DISMISSED!!!!!

53. crazy for black and gold says: Sep 7, 2010 4:49 AM

I hoped FB would be the last part of our society to puss out like the right has. I breath, eat, sleep, procreate based on the saints upcoming schedule and I thought his comments were funny. Not nearly as funny as Thurs night will be when Greg Williams tattoos a Fleur DE Lis on Brett’s head, ass, and oh yeah Ankle! I give Mr. Tough guy till the 3rd before he puts on the baseball cap.
    BTW all of of MN can stop wondering. Thats why Brett wouldn’t leave MS. Thats what keeps him awake at nite. And when NO is done Green Bay is going to do the same thing. MN will be lucky to be 8-8. No Hurricanes. No Drama. Just a washed up QB and sub par coach talking about what could have been.

54. crazy for black and gold says: Sep 7, 2010 4:55 AM

Panther? Do they still have a team?

55. cowboyjesc says: Sep 7, 2010 5:18 AM

natural disasters kill people , so .. whats your point ,, 9/11 has killed thousands , now , these days , we r lead to believe to quit fighting , pathetic..Hurricane Katrina wasn’t a suprise , i f u stuck it out , like a dumbass.. then be one ,,, quit cryin already wil ya !

56. Nambla Limbaugh says: Sep 7, 2010 5:21 AM

REAL America’s Joke Etiquette:
    Katrina disaster/drowned black people jokes: “Tee hee naughty fun, lighten up!
    Sarah Palin’s slut daughter jokes: “WHY DO YOU GODLESS MONSTERS HATE AMERICA?”

57. realityonetwo says: Sep 7, 2010 6:10 AM

Florio and NBC would have been fine with, “I screwed up, maybe as badly as I could. That’s what she said.”

58. Nagasakee says: Sep 7, 2010 6:23 AM

He apologized…it may or may not have been the best worded apology but he did it.
    Time to move on, nothing left to see here.

59. Profundity says: Sep 7, 2010 6:47 AM

Jesus…I wish he would have told everyone to grow up and remember when we had a sense of humor. Does anyone recall when this country had a big old sack we could willingly flaunt?
    It was a freak of nature that no one can change and those in charge never planned for (although they were supposed to) that killed less people than one pissed off redneck (McVeigh) managed with a hillbilly friend willing to betray him at the drop of a life sentence.
    If we can’t make joking examples 5 years after, when it is okay? When does humor become appropriate?

60. FireJerryJones says: Sep 7, 2010 7:06 AM

Who is this “we” Florio keeps referring to?
    “We’ve got a few concerns about Hampton’s apology.”
    Grow a pair and say I.
    Leave the We for royalty.

61. bump says: Sep 7, 2010 7:32 AM

DoughBoyRAC says:
    September 7, 2010 12:24 AM
    Shame on anyone who views this as a story.
    I don’t kill ants in my yard who build their mounds in low spots.
    I wait for rain.
    When the rain comes, the ants move.
    No one has moved from the defilade which is New Orleans.
    why ask us to move,, ask the people whom live on a fault line to move ,,seems like they had a earth quake that did damage and they still live there,,, it’s called YOUR HOME ,,we don’t want your pitty ,, just our life back oooh wait that sounds like the BP a/h geeeeesh

62. TheDPR says: Sep 7, 2010 7:43 AM

Humor doesn’t exist without victims. Period.
    You’re wrong on this, Florio. It was a good apology and it was also unnecessary. This is football, Hampton isn’t running for Mayor of Kenner.

63. Waltkowalski says: Sep 7, 2010 7:54 AM

Lighten up, you old hypocrite. Never has there been a better example of the pot calling the kettle black. I enjoy your irreverent ripostes on the site, but you’re hardly one to complain about and demand a pound of flesh for offensive comments. Grow up.

64. prophet of the light says: Sep 7, 2010 7:57 AM

At least he didn’t say they should ‘hit New Orleans like AIDS and gun crime’

65. jk7761 says: Sep 7, 2010 8:00 AM

i’m sick of these katrina ‘victims’. it’s been 5 years pull up your panties and help yourselves, for once.

66. AllThat says: Sep 7, 2010 8:08 AM

@Dougesfeo says:
    September 7, 2010 2:42 AM
    What’s the difference?
    ===================================
    You cannot be serious!!!
    Do you think if everyone was told that planes would hit the WTC the people would have stayed in the buildings?
    NO had almost 2 weeks to get people out and then did nothing but cry afterwards. Next time get your butts out of town.

67. Black QB White RB says: Sep 7, 2010 8:17 AM

If he said it to a fictitious football franchise in Mississippi or Alabama, it would have been ok. but the City of New Orleans you can’t kid with.
    At least he didn’t say they should ‘hit New Orleans like AIDS and gun crime’
    Prophet of the Light, you da man….all I’m Sayin’

68. Black QB White RB says: Sep 7, 2010 8:18 AM

Should he have said
    hit NYC like a new Mosque?!

69. sbc2556 says: Sep 7, 2010 8:19 AM

Let’s look yo clowns like Rush Limbaugh, Al Sharpton Louis Farrakhan and Glenn Beck if you’re looking for venomous, hateful individuals.
    Dan Hampton is what you see is what you get. He doesn’t have venom in him, he’s a passionate football player who loves having this kind of involvement with the game after his career. I’m a Redskin’s fan, but would love to meet the guy because he’s real… not a jerk nor does he care to make political, racial or other statements.
    That this is getting any attention at all is a testament to how silly news coverage has become and how ultra PC this country has become about complete nonesense.
    The man obviously meant no disrespect to any of the victims and has no track record of being that kind of a jerk.
    Most of you have said and done far worse!

70. Waltkowalski says: Sep 7, 2010 8:21 AM

71. Douchebaggery says: Sep 7, 2010 8:33 AM

Give me a break, people have been using the Katrina metaphor for years.

72. runtheball says: Sep 7, 2010 8:34 AM

At least he didn’t say they should ‘hit New Orleans like AIDS and gun crime’
    Well said. This is absurd. The only difference between Katrina and other disasters is the wherewithall of the people. The majority of the people of New Orleans sat there and acted helpless waiting for someone to save them. In other parts of teh country when you see disasters even if they are less intense, the one thing you do not see is able-bodied men standing around waiting for someone to save them.

73. GiantMike says: Sep 7, 2010 8:35 AM

mw sums it up perfectly. Too funny.
    mw says: September 6, 2010 11:52 PM
    http://www .youtube.com/watch?v =R_hlMK7tCks
    (Florio is the one with the big hat.)

74. Chris Fiorentino says: Sep 7, 2010 8:46 AM

The way you talk, Mike, what do you want? Him hung by his balls? Maybe the firing squad would be OK for you? Jesus Christ…he said something he shouldn’t have. Ever hear of “Sticks and Stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me”? You don’t even live in freaking New Orleans. Shut up about it and worry about the current players, not what idiots like Hampton said.

75. jfdane says: Sep 7, 2010 8:58 AM

Man people are making a huge deal of nothing. I am from the Gulf Coast. I lost my house, my father lost his, my mother lost hers, two of my sisters lost theirs.
    We have moved on. You play with the cards you are dealt, you don’t cry about the cards you wish you would have had.
    Thanks for the apology, but we don’t need it. WE are resilient down here and there ain’t nothing ya’ll yankees can say to upset us right now, because WE ARE THE CHAMPS!!

76. DC_Bengals_Fan says: Sep 7, 2010 8:59 AM

“…and it simply never occurred to me that anyone could read anything more than that into it.”
    Hampton, if you’re not a liar you’re dumb as a post.

77. SDW2001 says: Sep 7, 2010 9:12 AM

If this was his entire apology, he’d be fine:
    But that’s not what he said. At least, not all of it. My question is…why the H does everyone always have to explain their apologies, giving these 12 paragraph, gut-twisting answers? It’s annoying. It’s as bad as the non-apology apologies…you know, the ones that start with “to the extent that I offended anyone, I’m very remorseful.”
    Go with the last part quoted above. You said something stupid. Move on.

78. Gary says: Sep 7, 2010 9:23 AM

He said he was sorry. Why can’t you just accept that? Oh, thats right you are Mr. Perfect Florio, let it go jackass.

79. mrlaloosh says: Sep 7, 2010 9:54 AM

IAVikefan says:
    September 6, 2010 11:22 PM
    Come on! Really? The Scorpions? How about “WHEN THE LEVEES BREAK” by Led Zeppelin!
    At least you didn’t use “Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head”
    They fixed the roof of the Superdome, and are spending HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars to upgrade it, thanks to the incredible generosity of the American taxpayers.
    THANK YOU AMERICA!! signed Tom Benson.

80. EverybodyGotAIDS says: Sep 7, 2010 9:56 AM

I think I may have torn my hymen in my rush to be offended by this.

81. Ilovefoolsball says: Sep 7, 2010 10:17 AM

What do you expect from a dumb jock?
    It was stupid to say the first time. It’s even stupid-er when he tries to explain his comment.
    He should’ve just said “I’m sorry for what I said, I was wrong. I hate myself. I hate myself. I hate the Vikings, they’re horrid.”

82. brianb4233 says: Sep 7, 2010 10:26 AM

Florio, when you have time you really need to remove yourself from the cross that you’ve nailed yourself to. It seems that you’ve got yourself up so high on that horse that you’re practically begging PFW to hand Hampton his walking papers. But not explicity though, they need to really ‘look into it’. Much like you did with this Wise character when he ‘tricked’ you about the Roethlisberger faux suspension blurb.
    Get down off your perch and rub feathers with the commoners every once in a while.

83. David says: Sep 7, 2010 10:57 AM

Everybody just says anything that comes to mind anymore and then it is boo-hoo when they finally decide to use their brain. This all started with politicians!

84. FullForce42 says: Sep 7, 2010 11:13 AM

Does this mean people can not use Fire,rain,snow,car,lightning,flood,arrow,bullet,truck,wind,tornado,tidal wave, rock,mud,tractor, bear,tiger,gator etc.. in the Football analogy world? cause each of those have killed people… Mike your story is lame…. if this offends you line up on the field across from Dan and try to vent that way ! Face it , it was a good analogy and had nothing to do as a slam on the coast,the people or any of the cities…(no just! New Orleans)
    Dan you more than made up to the little left wing cowards… for those that still hurt…they can )(_&(&^%*)(&#)_*$#(@_#($& off…….

85. FullForce42 says: Sep 7, 2010 11:25 AM

Kinda like the Dallas Cowboys “did” hit the Saints last year like a Mack truck . (oh can I say that)? trucks have hit and killed people before! my bad…………

86. smokehouse says: Sep 7, 2010 11:59 AM

If a fly sits on their ass someone will be offended. I guess Katrina is now a saintly word to be useed only in church and NBC News.

87. Gam(e)_is_on says: Sep 7, 2010 12:29 PM

@ MV on the “Life of Brian” …… You hit the nail!
    Stop being so damn righteous Florio – Call him a fool and move on…

88. mikemcsaint says: Sep 7, 2010 1:10 PM

I’m from NO and don’t think this is a big deal. I will tell you though that, looking at these posts, there are plenty of ignorant people when it comes to what happened during Katrina. Most of the people here got no government assitance, didn’t ask for it, and doesn’t want it. The posts here show me that people listened to what was reported, saw the SELECTED pictures on TV, and believed what they were told. People bash the media and then believe everything they say.

89. ***VIKINGS*** says: Sep 7, 2010 2:04 PM

Florio, your part of the problem..
    Keep things in context, he’s talking about this Katrina thing happening to the TEAM, not the city. You people are making this sensitive issue so bad, just so you can sell time, that you actually are destroying your own career. Soon you wont be able to write anything because it may offend someone. Please, grow a pair, ALL OF YOU WHINERS!!!

90. ***VIKINGS*** says: Sep 7, 2010 2:12 PM

Mississippi Bill says:
    September 7, 2010 12:59 AM
    ————————————————-
    BOOOHOOOO, we had a major flood in my town in 97, look it up. All over the evening news. One thing you never saw here was people dying on their roofs, waiting for hand outs. We left when we were told, we came back when we were allowed, and WE ALL rebuilt our city, that is stronger and more beautiful than ever. We got hand outs, don’t get me wrong, but we didnt act helpless and waited for them. Its over get over it, I’m sick of hearing about it. By the way, we didnt have looters carring automatic weapons around either, that they stole from unoccupied stores. You people create your own bad impressions of yourselfs. What are the people on the outside looking in suppose to think?

91. i'm just a bill, yeah i'm only a bill says: Sep 7, 2010 2:14 PM

never apologize, it’s a sign of weakness–John Wayne.
    i expect Hampton to be fired within the week. same thing when someone says something racially offensive. they are made to apologize and then get fired anyway.

92. Magic Juan says: Sep 7, 2010 2:30 PM

Florio,
    Hampton is a walking malaprop; he is notorious for bungling analogies. While a co-host on 670AM The Score in Chicago, he was painful to listen to; he made Emmitt Smith sound like Edmund Murrow. The Score plays Hampton’s on-air gaffes frequentlyI know his intent was not malicious–he’s simply ill-equipped to be involved in a media capacity.
    More importantly, this is a taped show. Hampton composed this ahead of time. Why wasn’t it edited out? If someone should lose their job, it should be an editor or appropriate person, and Hampton, just because he’s bad.

93. joseph4241 says: Sep 7, 2010 2:42 PM

Wow Florio. I point out that you did the same exact thing in a post about 8 months ago, and instead of taking it like a man, you censor my post? I know you are not a journalist, but to cowardly hide from your mistakes while demanding a real journalist’s head on a pike for doing the same exact thing as you is despicable. All respect I ever had for you is gone. Pathetic.

94. Kye says: Sep 7, 2010 3:02 PM

What have we learned here today, Florio?

95. ViqueenTears says: Sep 7, 2010 3:11 PM

IAVikeFan…thought you are supposed to be a ‘man of honor’? Weren’t you on here a few weeks ago scolding some military guy about his professionalism? Shame, shame, shame…

96. zibby says: Sep 7, 2010 4:06 PM

The writer of this article must be a General in the “thought police”. The only people who care and are “offended” are the people who keep writing about it and won’t let it go, like the author. What a complete turd.
    The author’s lust for relevency draws him to latch on to inconsequential events in the hope he can generate a furor over said event and be seen as the “very good person” who exposed the “bad people” and their “bad thoughts”. He good = we bad. What he needs is validation of self and of course the “power” in “shaming” someone.
    Easy to see all this in the authors hysterical writing.
    These of course in all reality are the worst of people.