Give us your pick to win the Super Bowl

It’s the time of year that writers hopelessly try to predict the unpredictable and choose the next Super Bowl champion.

The consensus team never makes it — sorry Packers — and sometimes the clever picks wind up being the butt of self-flagellating jokes for months.

Florio and I will make our Super Bowl picks later; you can see my divisional standings predictions and season preview along with much more at NBCSports.com.

For now, we want you guys to make a fool of yourselves for once.  I wrote down eleven teams that I think have a realistic chance to win it all.  If any other team won the Super Bowl, I’d be legitimately surprised.  (Which means it will probably happen.)

I checked out the Vegas odds after writing down my list.  And wouldn’t you know, the same eleven teams were listed with the best odds.  (Although Atlanta and Pittsburgh were well below the others.)

Here goes nothing:

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
59 Responses to “Give us your pick to win the Super Bowl”
  1. jtprindl says: Sep 8, 2010 4:46 PM

You are claiming the Packers won’t make it because people are picking them to make it?
    Great logic. Vikings, Bears, or Cowboys fan?

2. Citizen Strange says: Sep 8, 2010 4:52 PM

I picked the Steelers.
    GO STEELERS!

3. toddm6d says: Sep 8, 2010 4:52 PM

lots of delusional Packer fans I see.
    or maybe just inherbriated…
    yeah that’s probably it.

4. Jarmahead says: Sep 8, 2010 4:55 PM

The Ravens higher than the Cowboys? Really?
    Some people ate paint chips as children. Idiots.

5. valhallanole says: Sep 8, 2010 5:00 PM

STEELERS over Packers
    Sevenburgh…

6. methdeez says: Sep 8, 2010 5:01 PM

Why would you make all of these remarks about how no can really know and how wrong people are every year, and then exclude almost 2/3rds of the league in the voting?
    Is it really that hard to make a longer survey button?
    How about you re-do this post with all of the teams and then we can get a real idea of what readers think, not what they think of your made up and self-admittedly probably wrong list?

7. Larry David says: Sep 8, 2010 5:02 PM

It’ll be a rematch of last years game, Saints vs. Colts.

8. queenie says: Sep 8, 2010 5:07 PM

Citizen Strange says:
    September 8, 2010 4:52 PM
    I picked the Steelers.
    GO STEELERS!
    __________
    Yea!
    GO STEELERS!

9. Gautam says: Sep 8, 2010 5:11 PM

Colts fan here but I voted for the Saints… found out that most people voted for the Packers but I think the injuries to some of their defensive starters will hurt them
    the Ravens could be considered a safe pick by same(great run defense, great run offense and hopefully a good pass offense) but they fail to conquer Mount Peyton Manning & Mount Penalty

10. trickbunny says: Sep 8, 2010 5:12 PM

Jarmahead says:
    September 8, 2010 4:55 PM
    The Ravens higher than the Cowboys? Really?
    Some people ate paint chips as children. Idiots.
    ————————————————
    Every year lately, the Ravens are the “sexy” (gag) pick for the Super Bowl– and every year, they flame out and choke in the playoffs , if not before. This year will be no different. They’ve been “about to repeat” for 10 years now. Yawn.

11. whodey5 says: Sep 8, 2010 5:13 PM

Wow. The Bengals swept the AFC North last year. They get back key injured defensive players like Odom, Roy Williams, and Mauluaga. Over the off season they added players like T.O., Reggie Nelson, Jordan Shipley, and Jermaine Gresham. But yet they can’t even get on the list of top 6 AFC teams???
    By week 6, everyone will be on their bandwagon

12. 1NationRaiderNation says: Sep 8, 2010 5:14 PM

GO RAIDERS!

13. Richm2257 says: Sep 8, 2010 5:14 PM

Packers??? Are you people serious??
    Aaron Rodgers is no Drew Brees, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, or Tom Brady. You people are on crack.
    By the way, nice to see that no one outside of New York is talking up the Jets very seriously. Both New England and the Colts are rated twice as likely as the Jesters

14. Greg says: Sep 8, 2010 5:16 PM

It might be a Texas Superbowl.

15. d.b.cooper says: Sep 8, 2010 5:19 PM

Steelers over the Packers.

16. Afternmath17 says: Sep 8, 2010 5:20 PM

Packer fan here……picked the Ravens.
    I’m not delusional or inebriated…..yet.

17. ICEWALKER says: Sep 8, 2010 5:24 PM

toddm6d says:
    September 8, 2010 4:52 PM
    lots of delusional Packer fans I see.
    or maybe just inherbriated…
    yeah that’s probably it.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Packer fan here.
    Voted for Ravens.
    Although I can’t prove it.
    I never think ‘my team’ is going to make it. I think they are darn good this year but I never set myself up for disappointment. Every Sunday I’ll root for them, that’s for damn sure. I’ll not be shocked if they do win it all but I’m a realist. Too many bad things like injuries happen in the NFL (except for Mr. Favre, who hasn’t missed a game for 19 seasons).
    Come playoff time, I may think ‘my team’ is going to win the Super Bowl. Until then, I’ll just enjoy every Sunday.
    Man, it’s been a long summer. Football is almost back!

18. queenie says: Sep 8, 2010 5:25 PM

trickbunny says:
    September 8, 2010 5:12 PM
    Jarmahead says:
    September 8, 2010 4:55 PM
    The Ravens higher than the Cowboys? Really?
    Some people ate paint chips as children. Idiots.
    ——————– ——————– ——–
    _____
    darn…Trickbunny and I actually agree on something….what’s the world coming to?

19. Big Papi says: Sep 8, 2010 5:26 PM

I can’t predict who will win, However i can tell you which two teams will make it.
    Brett Farve’s two ex-teams:

5. Ravens
    6.Vikings
    7. Patriots
    8. Cowboys
    9. Dolphins
    10.Bengals
    These are the best 10 teams….Every other team is wishful thinking this year! Try again next year.

21. JSpicoli says: Sep 8, 2010 5:31 PM

No delusional Packer fan here. I’m a Raider fan who voted with what I’ve seen so far. So far, the Pack looks pretty good to me. It is a crapshoot anyway wth injuries and bounces of the ball involved.

22. Holeinone09 says: Sep 8, 2010 5:40 PM

But, whodey5, the real question is, will their home games be televised locally? LOL! But seriously, do you think the Bengals can repeat that divisional performance? It is a tough division to sweep. Good luck.
    GO STEELERS!! IT’S FINALLY FOOTBALL SEASON!!

23. NOwillrepeat says: Sep 8, 2010 5:44 PM

vote is in the name.
    btw I hope the pack are ready and capable of backing up all this hype. Saints hung 51 on these guys last time they played

24. mgulrud says: Sep 8, 2010 5:45 PM

———
    nope, he just might be better then them all.

25. Deb says: Sep 8, 2010 5:46 PM

Here goes:
    AFC Playoffs (*Wildcard): Ravens, Pats, Chargers, Colts, *Steelers, *Jets
    NFC Playoffs: Saints, Cowboys, Pack, Niners, *Vikes, *Giants
    ———————–
    AFC Championship:
    Ravens/Colts (longshot Ravens/Steelers)
    NFC Championship:
    Saints/Cowboys (longshot Saints/Vikes)
    ———————–
    Super Bowl:
    Saints would have slight experience edge against all AFC teams but Steelers.
    Steelers would have slight experience edge against any NFC team.
    Any NFC team could beat Colts.
    Wild Guess: Saints in a squeaker over Ravens.

26. brodiego says: Sep 8, 2010 5:52 PM

It’s Christmas Eve for NFL fans.
    Go Vikes!

27. Steelintn says: Sep 8, 2010 6:02 PM

Here we go STEELERS here we go!!!!!!

28. JFRESH says: Sep 8, 2010 6:02 PM

-texans
    -vikings
    -saints
    Superbowl
    Vikings over Ravens

29. dough21 says: Sep 8, 2010 6:05 PM

The Colts are always the consensus pick and they have made the last 2 out of 4 Super Bowls, so I am not buying it Mr. Rosenthal

30. Jeremy says: Sep 8, 2010 6:12 PM

You heard it hear:
    The Houston Texans over The Green Bay Packers

31. testify517 says: Sep 8, 2010 6:13 PM

To the Cowboys fan who freaked out about the Ravens being chosen over the Cowboys, yes really. To quote Willis McGahee, yall played like doodoo all preseason. Granted it’s preseason, but yall look like pure garbage. You’ll be lucky to finished 3rd in your own division. Although, it would be sweet to beat you in your house for the Super Bowl. Remember how we shut down Texas Stadium? Yeah, that’d be sweet.

32. tatum32 says: Sep 8, 2010 6:17 PM

Green Bay. And I almost think they need to be on the road to do it. They can outscore anybody and if they cant , they can force turnovers.
    I’ll say Baltimore comes out of the AFC, somehow either the Jets, Chargers or Colts will knock off the Pats depending upon the seeding. Everything is stacked against the Steelers and Big Ben will press too much attempting to get Pittsburgh back into it.
    Baltimore vs. Green Bay

33. CD_Ridge says: Sep 8, 2010 6:25 PM

I usually do not make a pick in these things. My pick is the kiss of death for the team that I pick.
    But even as a Steelers fan, I must confess the the Ravens look like the team to beat this year. The Ravens look like they will win their second title this year.

34. yardbarker says: Sep 8, 2010 6:36 PM

COWBOYS do it all.

35. jimmySee says: Sep 8, 2010 6:36 PM

Note to all the geniuses here criticizing other’s picks:
    You’re all idiots.
    No one knows — not even you.

36. Winninugly says: Sep 8, 2010 6:37 PM

Dolphins over Niners

37. MrHumble says: Sep 8, 2010 6:38 PM

What a poll…….Packer fans are undoubtedly stacking the ballot box LOL, when you live in a trailer with a toothless wife, 10 kids, a dish and 12 computers with a case of Milwaukee’s Best, and get to vote for the packers…….”it don’t git no better” unless you’re a “who dat”………..Pats will win SB.

38. drewtrice says: Sep 8, 2010 6:44 PM

# Holeinone09 says: September 8, 2010 5:40 PM
    —————————————–
    You act like the Bengals NEED to sweep the division, in order to win the division, but last time I checked … that was not true. The AFC North will be incredibly competitive, but acting like the Bengals cannot win is just ignorant.
    Like this guy said …
    —————————————-
    whodey5 says: September 8, 2010 5:13 PM
    By week 6, everyone will be on their bandwagon
    —————————————–
    The Bengals lost nobody of value, and I mean nobody. All starters returned except 3: Shank-o-matic Graham, JP Foschi, Laveranues(stuck in mud) Coles. First, Graham is terrible as proven by Baltimore cutting him for Cundiff. Second, JP Foschi was a bum we picked off the street as an emergency TE, and now we have Gresham. Upgrade. Third, Coles was never open last year. Ever. Now we have TO. Say what you want, but he is an upgrade over Coles on the field. So, the Bengals did some addition by subtraction, and then some seriously positive additions on top of that.
    Also, 4 injured players (with at least 3 being starters) are returning: Roy Williams, Antwan Odom, Maualuga and Reggie Kelly. Other starters are fully healthy again: Crocker, PALMER, and Peko. Finally, we added quality and depth via free agency, the draft and trades: Pacman, Gresham, Dunlap, Shipley, Atkins, and now Nelson.
    Again, to pretend like the Bengals do not have a legitimate chance at winning the division and advancing in the playoffs is ignorant. Last time I checked, the Ravens cannot beat Palmer and are missing Reed & a secondary, while the Steelers need a QB for 4 weeks and then a replacement for Santonio Holmes. Looks like the Bengals have a nice running head-start this year.

39. Bigbluefan says: Sep 8, 2010 6:44 PM

Eli will have another ring before his brother
    The cowboys will not win until JJ is in the ground
    The Ravens well they just suck
    Viqueens will win when they move to LA and Brett is back on his plow
    The jets disapointing fans for 41 years and counting Rex ran his mouth now Mark is going to be running for his life

40. KingOkra says: Sep 8, 2010 6:45 PM

Sevenburgh? Don’t you mean pot-smoking, rapistburg?

41. PurpleRaid12 says: Sep 8, 2010 7:02 PM

How many times did you vote “Packers” JimmySmith?

42. steelers rule says: Sep 8, 2010 7:07 PM

AFC Division winners
    Pats, Pitt, Colts, S.D
    W/C
    Miami, Ravens
    NFC
    Dallas, Vikes, Falcons, Cards
    W/C
    Packers, Niners
    Steelers over 9ers! NFC Suoer Bowl teams latley have not been predicited to go.

43. Mrsteve says: Sep 8, 2010 7:34 PM

Vikings/Chargers
    Vikings win

44. smithopher says: Sep 8, 2010 7:42 PM

I can’t believe the bengals aren’t even on that list. and here’s my playoff picture:
    afc – jets bengals texans chargers (ravens and colts)
    nfc – cowboys vikings saints 49ers (falcons and packers)
    jets beat vikings in super bowl.

45. MNFANINAZ says: Sep 8, 2010 7:47 PM

Vikes finally win it all.
    Packers dont even make the playoffs.

46. dennis112484 says: Sep 8, 2010 7:52 PM

patriots, colts, or ravens

47. seventhheaven7 says: Sep 8, 2010 7:59 PM

Steelers over Packers……….MVP Mendenhall
    SeventhHeavenBaby!

48. 1NationRaiderNation says: Sep 8, 2010 8:02 PM

ask this again after week 5, and repost this blog.
    Right now if it was based on talk, it would 100% be the jets, but i once heard those who humble themselves will be exhalted, and those who exhalt themselves will be humbled, or in the jets case humilated…sorry green and white, I agree with the green and white, but i think you need to add some gold, and cheese to it.
    Just think aaron rogers a joe montana/49er fan could have been a niner.

49. trickbunny says: Sep 8, 2010 8:05 PM

CD_Ridge says:
    September 8, 2010 6:25 PM
    The Ravens look like they will win their second title this year.
    ————————————————–
    Thank you! Now it’s a lock that the Ravens will choke again!

50. sbhntr says: Sep 8, 2010 8:05 PM

Charleston Chiefs

51. steelers rule says: Sep 8, 2010 8:10 PM

Packers def is very suspect. They gave up over 30 points like 6 or 7 times last season, including 31 to Tampa and 51 to AZ!!

52. mattgso says: Sep 8, 2010 8:14 PM

Should have 2 parts: Pick 2 possible winners. Then you won’t get all the homers only thinking about their own team.

53. Richm2257 says: Sep 8, 2010 9:40 PM

mgulrud says:
    September 8, 2010 5:45 PM
    ———
    nope, he just might be better then them all.
    Folks, seriously, THIS is what happens when football fans smoke crack. This poor bastard probably even believes this crap!

54. PKep85 says: Sep 8, 2010 9:59 PM

If only the “homers” are voting, then that must confirm what Packer fans have been saying all along, that they truely are America’s Team. Of course, that’s the only way they can get so many votes. Wait, that’s right, they sit drinking beer, eating cheese, banging your wife and voting for the Packers in these polls.
    Wait, found an error in that, there isn’t any way you would have a wife, so they have more time to vote in these polls.

55. FarmerMonkey says: Sep 9, 2010 8:26 AM

I’ll go with the Saints. I think the “Super Bowl Hangover” is as much a superstition as the “Madden Curse”.

56. Spungy says: Sep 9, 2010 8:42 AM

I hope that teams underestimate the Bengals as much as you do. But those teams aren’t that stupid. Not even on the list? Fail

57. somesome says: Sep 9, 2010 10:50 AM

IF the Cowboys make the post season they will not get passed the Vikes, Saints or Packers.
    Same for Chargers they will not get by the Ravens, Pats/Jets or the Colts.
    my SB: Colts vs Packers/Saints
    My feeling is Peyton will win another one, be called the best forever and have the biggest contract next year.
    I am a Ravens fan.

58. Deb says: Sep 9, 2010 11:08 AM

Richm2257 says:
    September 8, 2010 9:40 PM
    mgulrud says:
    September 8, 2010 5:45 PM
    ———
    nope, he just might be better then them all.
    ———————————————–
    I agree with this, too.
    It’s the second sign of the Apocalypse!

59. StillMadAtSlobber says: Sep 9, 2010 12:37 PM

]# whodey5 says: September 8, 2010 5:13 PM
    ]
    ]Wow. The Bengals swept the AFC North last year. ]They get back key injured defensive players like ]Odom, Roy Williams, and Mauluaga. Over the off ]season they added players like T.O., Reggie Nelson, ]Jordan Shipley, and Jermaine Gresham. But yet they ]can’t even get on the list of top 6 AFC teams???
    ]