Tom Brady downplays contract talk

In his weekly radio segment on WEEI in Boston, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady reluctantly addressed reports that he’s close to signing a new deal with the team.

Per the various members of the local media who were posting updates on Twitter (Albert Breer, Mike Reiss, Ian Rapoport, Shalise Manza Young), Brady initially said that he didn’t want to get into the status of his contract, and that he “didn’t spend five minutes” thinking about the subject on Tuesday.

Brady nevertheless reconfirmed his commitment to the team.  “I love being here,” Brady said.  “The thought of playing somewhere else is not a good feeling for me.”  He also said, “If it’s up to me, I’d be” a member of the Patriots “forever.”

As to the notion that a deal will be done by the time the first regular-season game begins on Sunday, Brady said, “Every player on our team would have to love have that. . . .  That’s just the way it works.”

Brady also said that he hopes that receiver Randy Moss and guard Logan Mankins will stick around.

I would love to have him, of course I would,” Brady said regarding Moss.  “I would love that.  It’s not my decision.”  As to Moss’ belief that he’s not wanted due to the absence of a contract extension, Brady said that Moss is “ready for the season,” and that “[w]hat the future holds is not on the forefront of our mind.”

Frankly, this sounds like more of the same wishful thinking that coach Bill Belichick offered up on Tuesday.  If Moss’ contractual status wasn’t at the forefront of his mind, Moss wouldn’t have sounded off about it on Monday.

Brady also mentioned the team’s high-profile contractual holdout.  Nobody can replace Logan Mankins. I mean, nobody can. There’s only one of those guys.”  But Brady remained pragmatic.  “It doesn’t change my job at all,” he said.

It’s a wise position on Brady’s part.  He’ll be expected to get the job done with or without Mankins or any other member of the starting lineup on the field.  But with Mankins gone and with Moss possibly on the verge of another “I play when I wanna play” episode, the pursuit of a new deal of his own becomes even more important for Brady.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
16 Responses to “Tom Brady downplays contract talk”
  1. neilp says: Sep 8, 2010 7:51 AM

Lets see, Darrelle Revis holding out was was a good thing it was handled well by both the player and the team!!!
    Vincent Jackson cannot even be in a position to know if and when he will be available for a trade.
    But as soon as Randy Moss starts posturing for a new contract it’s “huh here we go again with Moss”.
    All the guy has done in New England is set records, catch passes and a bagful of touchdowns and all people ever want to do is bring him down. So he is not the best player for sports people to interview, so he dances to his own theme music so what he performs on the field and by all accounts has done verything asked of him.
    But go ahead make another mountain out of a molehill

2. afogg0855 says: Sep 8, 2010 7:53 AM

Moss isn’t even close to an “I play when I wanna play” episode. It’s a contract year and he’s about to go NUTS!
    85 catches 1250 yards and 15 tds

3. GRpatriot says: Sep 8, 2010 8:15 AM

Play when I want to Play, will not get him renewed in New England! Frankly, he has to prove it every year since he is no longer a twenty something!
    Moss has over-all been a good team mate and has put up decent numbers. The Patriots measure sucess by Rings, not stats!
    Moss should put the team first and the contract will take care of itself…Otherwise he could be available sooner than later???

4. Fogs88 says: Sep 8, 2010 8:25 AM

re: “It’s a wise position on Brady’s part. He’ll be expected to get the job done with or without Mankins or any other member of the starting lineup on the field. But with Mankins gone and with Moss possibly on the verge of another “I play when I wanna play” episode, the pursuit of a new deal of his own becomes even more important for Brady.
    Even if, when discussing the matter, he sounds more and more like the only head coach for whom he ever has played.”
    ————————————————-
    A couple of things:
    #1. I’m sure Brady gives a crap how wise you think his position is. This is the same position he has had all year and his whole career…..this is not news dude. He is not “Starting to sound like” BB, he has taken that line the last 9 years.
    #2. This is why I have ZERO respect for your analysis Florio. Do you even pay attention to what is going on regarding subjects not named Wise, Favre or Cowlishaw?? RE: “and with Moss possibly on the verge of another “I play when I wanna play” episode” – He’s not even close to that. Have you paid ANY attention to Moss in the pre-season? He is in the best shape of his life and is in a contract year. I am still shaking my head right now wondering how somebody that does this for a living can have so little clue.

5. Doctor Connors says: Sep 8, 2010 8:27 AM

Really Brownsfn19? In all of football? All the guy does is give boring interviews and does his job.
    You know, I sit and watch teams like the Browns and Seahawks who totally stink, and normally I’d want them to do well, and then I see bozos like you, and then I start to hope they continue to suck.
    Enjoy being in the cellar for another 20 years.

6. PFTiswhatitis says: Sep 8, 2010 8:27 AM

Stop hammering on Moss. The season hasnt started yet and you are already on his back. He will have a monster year and somehow I have a feeling you will still spin it into something negative.

7. cbrianwatkins says: Sep 8, 2010 8:35 AM

florio, did you ever think Moss “sounded off” about his contractual status because he was ASKED about his contractual status
    worse than my mother florio, worse than my mother

8. Chapnasty. says: Sep 8, 2010 8:41 AM

Randy Moss is a cry baby little beotch. To think that somehow his contract is more important than Brady’s or should be done before Brady’s proves how selfish and retarded this man is. Randy, remember what happened all those years when you didn’t have Brady throwing you passes? Maybe we should go back to Oakland? Idiot.

9. The Real Shuxion says: Sep 8, 2010 8:47 AM

Dennis and Callahan then proceeded to ask why kids are always on their damn lawn and what it feels like to have sex withing the last 10 years.

10. Nosredna says: Sep 8, 2010 9:22 AM

The question really is……….”When will Mike Florio stop trying to read between the lines, and listen to what a man says instead of trying to figure out what he means”
    Anyone have thoughts on this?

11. Belichick for President says: Sep 8, 2010 9:33 AM

Moss is trying to get to Minnesota, just like last year.
    *eyeroll*

12. Airperuvian says: Sep 8, 2010 10:28 AM

Sounds like a different tune then when he didnt know when his contract was coming..Now he loves this team and loves the patriots..Money can make anyone sing

13. Patsfan83 says: Sep 8, 2010 10:34 AM

Florio, Do you honestly think Moss isn’t smart enought to know that his performance on the field this year is what will get him paid next year ? Anyone who expects less than a monster year from a motivated Moss is crazy.

14. Pastabelly says: Sep 8, 2010 10:35 AM

What do you mean by “he sounds more and more like the only head coach for whom he has ever played”? What is the guy supposed to say? He’s the player rep and also the team leader on the field. He HAS to walk a fine line. If you expect him to say, “this team is stupid for paying all of that cash to a loser like Adalius Thomas and not stepping up for a real player like Logan Mankins”, you’re delusional. It was pretty obvious from that conversation that Brady wants the team to sign Mankins but he knows it’s not his business to say what is a fair amount to pay to an offensive guard.

15. Donna says: Sep 8, 2010 11:55 AM

WAIT!! I duly recall weeks ago while all teams were still in camp the many many patriot fans that insisted “Theres not an issue with Brady”, I distinctly remember numerous faithful patriot followers scoufing at the idea their QB was unhappy.
    If all that is true why are we still talking about it?? If it is all about next years contract, that is a premature issue as it is not a necessity that it be resolved before this season is even underway? why are we still talking about it if there is not a problem with Tom Thumb??

16. Mike Daly says: Sep 10, 2010 12:25 PM

People are still talking about it because some in the media continued trying to portray that the Patriots were shortchanging Brady and that he should hold out for it.
    The deal got done just as it was inevitably going to do. So the media instigators lose again.