Dan Hampton: "I'm an idiot, and I truly am sorry"

Last week Pro Football Hall of Famer Dan Hampton made a pair of offensive comments on the Pro Football Weekly TV show. This week Hampton opened the show with an apology.

“I made a couple of comments about Katrina and the gay community that not only embarrassed myself but the fine people here at Pro Football Weekly,” Hampton said. “I’m an idiot, and I truly am sorry if those comments bothered or offended any of our great and wonderful viewers, and again, I’m truly sorry about that.”

In previewing the Vikings-Saints game on last week’s show, Hampton said the Vikings should hit New Orleans “like Katrina.” Hampton also said that the Dallas Cowboys are “more of the Brokeback variety if you know what I’m talking about,” attempting to suggest the Cowboys aren’t a tough team and are like the gay cowboys in Brokeback Mountain.

Hampton issued an apology last week and has now apologized on the show, and that’s probably going to be the end of this story. Personally, I think it’s rather stunning that Hampton ever thought those comments were appropriate for television, and it’s also stunning that Pro Football Weekly aired the comments on the show, which isn’t broadcast live.

I also think the apology, which follows the familiar “I’m sorry if you were offended” apology format, comes across as something less than heartfelt.

But I’ll let you watch the apology for yourself and tell me what you think. I know you will.

Permalink 77 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
77 Responses to “Dan Hampton: "I'm an idiot, and I truly am sorry"”
  1. RIP__21 says: Sep 11, 2010 3:56 PM

Classic comments about the Dallas CowDung.

2. Tim_Stead says: Sep 11, 2010 4:01 PM

Welcome to Politically Correct America.

3. robert ethen says: Sep 11, 2010 4:01 PM

“Well, y’see, I was takin’ sum Spanish lessons to broaden my horizons, y’see, and part of it was the tales of the gay caballeros, and ..uuh, from bein’ down er in Mexico, (or Meheeko as we say in class), I knew that Caballero was Mex…uuh, I mean Spanish (Espannnyollll as we say in class), fer Cowboy. So…uhhh…well if you know what I mean…”.

4. cadillacjosh says: Sep 11, 2010 4:02 PM

Well he is an idiot.

5. svenhoek says: Sep 11, 2010 4:02 PM

You know what, this is stupid. Nothing offensive about the comments unless you are a whiny little PC bitch.
    IT’S CALLED A JOKE LADIES AND GENTLEMAN! Sometimes they are SLIGHTLY (these aren’t even that) offensive, but THEY ARE MADE IN JEST, as in, THEY ARE NOT SERIOUS STATEMENTS THAT ACCURATELY REFLECT THE LITERAL VIEW OF THE PERSON MAKING THEM. Metaphors some might call them.
    Grow the **** up and quit complaining about stupid s**t. The reason TV commentators suck nowadays is because they have to watch every word they say, lest some bozo with too much free time decides to get offended and write 100 letters to the station.

6. Kegowhiskey says: Sep 11, 2010 4:04 PM

Well, the question here is “is he apologizing for what he said, or for how some people took what he said.” It probably was the latter, and I have no problem with that. Especially with the Katrina comment, my bet is that the overwhelming number of listeners knew what he was saying, which wasn’t intended as a slap at the great population who were devastated by the hurricane. The brokeback comment however, zeroes in negatively on a segment of our society and while I understand their sensitivity, it doesn’t bother me in the least. If it did, I couldn’t stand to read all the anti-fat barbs inherently embedded on this website! My thought – you are what you are, don’t worry about what anyone else thinks and get on with your life!

7. Big Tex says: Sep 11, 2010 4:05 PM

Translation; “I’m really sorry that I jeopardized a good paying job which requires me to do almost no real work what so ever. I hope that the checks will continue to roll in as I have no actual marketable skills.”

8. prmpft says: Sep 11, 2010 4:06 PM

…you are – and you should be…

9. E=MC Vagina says: Sep 11, 2010 4:06 PM

When will America stop being babies about every little thing. Christ!!!

10. wheresrickysanders says: Sep 11, 2010 4:07 PM

seemed like a fine enough apology to me. he is clearly an idiot for making those comments

11. Abe Froeman says: Sep 11, 2010 4:11 PM

Wasn’t so bad.

12. darklighter1 says: Sep 11, 2010 4:11 PM

OH America…whatever happened to you? The guy was just trying to be witty and he gets killed for it. Try and man up Mike Smith cause what he said wasn ‘t so bad. Don’t sweat this one Danny!

13. rovibe says: Sep 11, 2010 4:12 PM

Oh, Geez. String him up and burn him, why don’t you? I think the guy’s refreshing for his non-PC comments. At least you can tell him apart from all the other ones.

14. JasonW says: Sep 11, 2010 4:13 PM

Dan Hampton comments were awesome.

15. Roger-NOLA says: Sep 11, 2010 4:14 PM

Hey PFT. You guys are really thin skinned (or at loose ends). I’m a New Orleans native and a die-hard Saints’ fan from day one. Dan Hampton’s Katrina comment wasn’t offensive to me in the least. If the Vikings had blown through here like Katrina, those of us still left would have done what we did then – got back up and brushed ourselves off and got back to it. In the end, I wish Katrina had blown through here like the Vikings did.
    Roger

16. connie says: Sep 11, 2010 4:15 PM

When this happened I said give him a break.But watching him talk he is not sorry. He could have done a better job than that

17. Pervy H. says: Sep 11, 2010 4:17 PM

give the guy a break already….

18. ICDogg says: Sep 11, 2010 4:19 PM

The word “sorry” followed by “if” does not constitute an apology, although at least he admitted to being an idiot.

19. Buck Stallion says: Sep 11, 2010 4:20 PM

I don’t agree with both comments (the brokeback one was great) but I’d have more respect for him if he said “it’s my opinion & you don’t have to like it.”.

20. Ron Mexico says: Sep 11, 2010 4:23 PM

Dan Hampton should be on MNF.

21. Pack_Attack says: Sep 11, 2010 4:23 PM

This is football for God’s sake, Danimal you have NOTHING to apologize for. This PC crap is out of control.

22. Craven Morehead says: Sep 11, 2010 4:25 PM

So what, people need to quit being so thin skinned.

23. Rex Grossman says: Sep 11, 2010 4:25 PM

24. Drat says: Sep 11, 2010 4:31 PM

Hampton could have done a better job. He is sorry. I can see exactly where he was coming from, but when he spoke, he was not being professional or thoughtful.
    On the other hand, he has apologized. When was the last time Florio apologized for any of his ridiculous things? Maybe dead Bradshaw. But that would take a review. Did he actually apologize for that?
    I remember years back when Florio posted a photo of a famine-starved Ethiopian and made a joke about it. That’s far worse than what Hampton ever said. And Florio was defiant. (of course, our little Florio Florio is always defiant against criticism.)

25. Chargers-Superhero says: Sep 11, 2010 4:32 PM

What he said was all true. What happened to “FREE SPEECH” ???

26. Anrkist says: Sep 11, 2010 4:33 PM

The comments aired because no one watches the show.

27. agenice says: Sep 11, 2010 4:34 PM

No need to apologize. The Cowbots ARE Luke the brokeback mountain Cowboys.
    Filet mignon!

28. jediwrstlr says: Sep 11, 2010 4:34 PM

shouldn’t be sorry, I hope another hurricane comes along and finishes the job. No pitty for teh city…..thats always been my motto regarding those idiots. The city saw it coming……..for days, and did nothing. I wish the Vikings did kit them as hard as Katrina, and then maybe we can stop hearing about how hard the “aints” have had it.

29. Play4Blood says: Sep 11, 2010 4:39 PM

A non-story that PFT is running with for the sake of getting attention. Not only are you putting on display everything that’s wrong with media, you’ve now become the Brett Favres of the media world. This non-story reeks of the desperate cry for attention that it is.

30. TheToolofTools says: Sep 11, 2010 4:40 PM

I guess we cannot comment on all those dumb asses who stayed in New Orleans while over 40 empty buses rolled out of town more then willing to take them out of harms way.
    They had 5 days to get outta there and if they died, they were stupid.
    You will get no sympathy from me.
    And what about those idiots who climbed into their attics??????????????????????????????
    File that under a Darwin award winner.
    Many of the people who “lost their homes” did not own their homes… they were renters and the owners chose not to rebuild do to high insurance rates so they took the $ and walked off.

31. PurplePeopleBeaters says: Sep 11, 2010 4:40 PM

# jediwrstlr says: September 11, 2010 4:34 PM
    ————————————————–
    You seriously need to get laid.

32. ItalianStallion says: Sep 11, 2010 4:40 PM

Political Correctness is the downfall of society

33. PurplePeopleBeaters says: Sep 11, 2010 4:42 PM

Mrs. Teve:
    I saw the t-shirt that female Vikings “fan” was wearing in the video. Boy, speaking of bandwagon.

34. MagicMan407 says: Sep 11, 2010 4:44 PM

Damnit wheres reborn Jesus tebow when you need him??? He could make sense of this whole thing! Anywho he did get the whole Cowgirls thing right atleast. He just crossed the line on the Katrina metaphor. He was dead on with the Cowgirls being a bunch of tony homos!

35. Matt Cribbin says: Sep 11, 2010 4:44 PM

This guy really is an idiot isn’t he?

36. .Vox Veritas. says: Sep 11, 2010 4:46 PM

The only thing worse than making the comments in the first place is backing down from them because a few people got butt-hurt over them. Hampton is the biggest vagina in the HoF.

37. Josh Br says: Sep 11, 2010 4:46 PM

he is sucha blue waffle.

38. prmpft says: Sep 11, 2010 4:54 PM

E=MC Vagina…probably when you stop being a vagina…just to give you a timeline…

39. East Of Eden 6 says: Sep 11, 2010 4:55 PM

The best comedy comes from the worst tragedy

40. MrSalamander says: Sep 11, 2010 4:55 PM

Now if we can only ge the university of Miami to apologize for their obviously malicious and offensive team name, we should all be able to sleep well. America the Sensitive has a nice ring to it.

41. steelers rule says: Sep 11, 2010 4:58 PM

Finally Hampton admits he is an idiot!

42. The WIZ says: Sep 11, 2010 5:03 PM

Why is he apologizing?

43. robert ethen says: Sep 11, 2010 5:03 PM

Hampton was followed on the show by his mother who reiterated that he was an idiot (just like his father, in her words). She went on to say that she was sorry he was ever born, and if she could go back and do it over again, she would have aborted and saved herself the grief.
    “Look at the size of that great, ugly head!”, she wailed before being led away, “You realize how much that hurt?”.

44. TheDPR says: Sep 11, 2010 5:07 PM

The fact that the show isn’t live takes ALL the responsibility off Hampton. There are directors, editors, and a room full of people who put these shows together. They could have edited the comment out, made him do a re-take, or any other number of things.
    People say things. It happens. When you record and broadcast those things, the responsibility is on YOU, the broadcaster.

45. RedSoxRCheaters says: Sep 11, 2010 5:08 PM

I laughed at both comments. I don’t want to watch the Saints anymore because I’m so tired of the pointless Katrina references these idiot announcers regurgitate time and time again. Political correctness has taken away people’s sense of humor and make them intolerant and angry.

46. GBfanForever says: Sep 11, 2010 5:08 PM

Good for him, you have to respect people who take personal responsibility for their actions.

47. GRID says: Sep 11, 2010 5:14 PM

The bigger question should be: Why didn’t Pro Football Weekly simply edit out Hampton’s comments, and have him restate his opinions in a more politically correct way.
    Perhaps they come from the school of thought that ‘bad publicity is better than no publicity’.

48. bbeer says: Sep 11, 2010 5:17 PM

you know, the shit was pretty funny…but man…not on tv.

49. ThePlainTruth says: Sep 11, 2010 5:19 PM

Do the Vikings have a real football team, or is the junior varsity playing in big boy uniforms?

50. prmpft says: Sep 11, 2010 5:23 PM

RedSoxRCheaters…i’m sure your lack of attention to the saints will surely lead to their downfall – don’t watch – idiot!!! just watch reruns of baseball, shut up, and leave football to the real fans…

51. rbais2 says: Sep 11, 2010 5:34 PM

OKAY WE GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

52. bad asset says: Sep 11, 2010 5:38 PM

Maybe Hampton has issues, like having a “wide stance” in airport restroom stalls.

53. dsheik says: Sep 11, 2010 5:38 PM

I think Tony Dungy needs to weigh in on this.

54. Tetsuo says: Sep 11, 2010 5:49 PM

Great, now he has offended idiots everywhere.

55. Serr8d says: Sep 11, 2010 5:51 PM

At least he didn’t mention Donovan McNabb.

56. Allied Biscuit says: Sep 11, 2010 5:53 PM

i think there should be a congressional investigation into this man.

57. PriorKnowledge says: Sep 11, 2010 5:56 PM

He thought it was clever and funny, but it wasn’t. It was just stupid. And he was stupid for not realizing that. So… He apologized and said he was stupid. Sounds like a truthful sincere apology to me.
    The Katrina one is an understandable stupidity. But after all these years of gay rights and people getting in trouble for making negative comments concerning gays, it is surprising that there are still broadcasters stupid enough to say things like that.
    He is not hateful nor mean, just really, really stupid.

58. TheWizard says: Sep 11, 2010 6:02 PM

Someday, somebody needs to man up and tell the pious holier than thou mfers to go eff themselves.

59. bump says: Sep 11, 2010 6:04 PM

svenhoek says:
    September 11, 2010 4:02 PM
    IT’S CALLED A JOKE LADIES AND GENTLEMAN!
    if you lived in new york,,, lets say the twin towers fall on you and your family awwwwwwwwww it’s just a joke huh seems like you need to grow up ,, I can take jokes but hummmmm

60. HereThere says: Sep 11, 2010 6:05 PM

He shouldn’t have apologized for anything. You little PC crybabies like Florio need to grow up.

61. Nosredna says: Sep 11, 2010 6:22 PM

Personally I think that it is stunning that anyone at PFT cares about this anymore. Something else that is done and over with!
    BTW, learn how to take a joke!

62. H4X0R says: Sep 11, 2010 6:26 PM

Vikings have more excuses than a pregnant nun for losing.
    Your offense was rusty brent couldn’t hit his own ars with a wrap around stick.
    Gonna be a long 6 games without rice. Berrian has never shown he can be anything average.

63. FloriosHairHat says: Sep 11, 2010 6:47 PM

He was right about the Cowgirls.
    So what’s the problem?

64. calraider says: Sep 11, 2010 6:55 PM

Typical from people like Hampton who didn’t see the Movie…they weren’t GAY they were BI…they were both married just makes me more disgusted with him that he doesn’t even know that fact ….in a manner of speaking his knowledge is GAY

65. bigtrav425 says: Sep 11, 2010 7:14 PM

He shouldnt of apologized..its called FREE SPEECH!!..i HATE that America is so politically Correct..its disgusting to me

66. mwatso28 says: Sep 11, 2010 7:28 PM

Ummm, both comments were acceptable. If you were offended, then be offended. So what? Don’t watch the show. Problem solved. Sometimes I think that America is doomed. We are like Nazis in reverse. Everybody thinking the same, talking the same. Sad, sad, sad.

67. 1stngoal says: Sep 11, 2010 7:51 PM

Not surprising, coming from Dan Hampton. This is the same clueless moron who had to eat his words after dissing Favre and saying he would be a bust when he came to Green Bay…

68. prmpft says: Sep 11, 2010 7:51 PM

calraider…what the hell was that about???!!!who cares if you’re gay or bi – it’s the SAME!!!

69. In & Out Burger says: Sep 11, 2010 7:55 PM

I love the “PC” era. It is so much easier to find out who the ignorant, self centered, bigots are in todays world. Just look for the people who complain about having to be “PC.” Anyone who treats people with respect wouldn’t need to worry about even the most stringent political correctness standards.

70. melikefootball says: Sep 11, 2010 9:32 PM

To bad the same people that get slighted on everything said on TV felt the same way toward other countries that do much worse. Time to grow up America.

71. Wick says: Sep 11, 2010 10:19 PM

It’s just kind of weird how a segment of society, an astonishingly large segment at that, gets their widdle feelings hurt sooooooooo bad and all over what?
    Big deal.
    These are often the same people who DEFENDED the people shooting rifles at the rescue helicopters.
    Liberals make me want to puke.

72. oxycode30 says: Sep 12, 2010 2:34 AM

It’s the “Danimal” for chrissakes, and pretty funny for him. Give the dude a break… he, like I, come from a slightly different era. I get that, as Mongo McMichael would say, fag jokes are passé but since when did New Orleans become protected from any and all references in jokey fashion to hurricane damage? Is anyone out there even a little concerned with the almighty power of the self-appointed PC police?

73. svenhoek says: Sep 12, 2010 3:04 AM

# bump says: September 11, 2010 6:04 PM
    svenhoek says:
    September 11, 2010 4:02 PM
    IT’S CALLED A JOKE LADIES AND GENTLEMAN!
    ——————
    This is so irrational it’s not worth a legitimate response. I just wanted to say you’re a moron.
    You’re a moron.
    I feel better.

74. UncleTuna says: Sep 12, 2010 4:26 AM

I Live in the New Orleans area and I wasn’t offended in the least…
    This is football and if your PC feathers are ruffled then geaux cover your local womens softball game and sing Kumbayah with ‘em…
    If anything I’m offended by the lack of morality, ethics by the media in its programming and so-called journalistic practices…

75. reno76 says: Sep 12, 2010 10:37 AM

now the NFL has been infiltrated by pplitical correctness…this country is becoming a bunch of sissies

76. jk7761 says: Sep 12, 2010 11:17 AM

there was nothing wrong with his original comments. keep telling it like it is.
    five years after katrina if you still are living in a trailer I’m paying for your garbage.

77. shallowfan says: Sep 13, 2010 10:47 AM

I bet if you took a poll the majority of our country wouldn’t have a problem with these comments…PC is what the minority cries for and the majority doesn’t do anything about so it just keeps getting worse in this country…politically correct…the words don’t even go together.
    btw…
    “at least he doesn’t refer to himself by 3 names. what made you decide to do this Michael David Smith? nobody likes ppl who do this. not to mention it’s like the 3 most boring names ever. Michael. David. Smith. 3 levels of boring. How about Baseball CornFlakes Lettuce”
    Win.